• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Boom Street Date (and fans' hearts) Broken

Richie

Just saw the cutscenes only and they were alright, a fun Saturday Morning Cartoon vibe. I'm afraid to see gameplay...

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Yikes, those in-game cutscene models are rough as fuck.

Their dead, soulless eyes...

giphy.gif

Ouch, Sonic just can't get a break can he?

Komo

Banned
Looks really dull and boring. Also that inconsistent framerate.

Not happy :\ But I shouldn't be too surprised

Betty

Banned
It looks like a health bar, so rings are your health in this game vs how they are in normal Sonic games.

But they're going through entire segments without bad guys or traps and there's nothing but rings to be found, tons of them, so what's the point if putting so many in every section if it maxes at 100?

The open world in Part 2 looks awful. The framerate is sub 30 almost 100% of the time, and the environments look like they're from the early-mid 2000s.

Revven

Looks like the predictions about this being the worst sonic game are coming true.

It can't be worse than Sonic '06, though. Sonic '06 is, by definition, the worst Sonic game ever made. This is probably slightly above that game because at least it looks functional and playable.

Hell, I'd peg it above Shadow the Hedgehog at least as well just because that game is way more offensive as a Sonic title than this one is lol.

Azure J

It just looks so dry. Looking at this game I can't help but get that early aughts era "oh hey, platformer" setting from the environment design. The frame rate issues are goddamned hilarious too, that first spiral loop in the first video gave me fond memories of my first encounter with a horde of Trevenant in Pokemon X/Y. The dialogue and characterizations also add to that feeling of horrible licensed property but that was always going to be the case. Then as if to top it all off with the theme of PS2/GCN era platformers, we have forced action/combat segments that amount to button bashing completely with floating letter grading mid fight because "Hey guys we still don't get this funky Devil May Cry game but I heard kids LOVE that grading shit!"

Just popping in Lost World or Generations shows a wild 180 in visuals and effort and we all know how polarizing the former is.

trixx

sonic team should just work on billy hatcher 2 or a proper super moonkey ball game sequel to super monkey ball 2. Honestly, those games were better than most of the sonic games post adventure

Kouriozan

Is French VA confirmed?
My purchase depends on it, going to look after that answer.

Edit : yes it is, no "Rings! Omnomnomnom" for me :)

I just realize that it looks a lot like the Crash reboot that was also a combat platformer. ( 0_0) I mean, I'm still interested as it's been a long time since we've had a open platformer like this, but man.

DAMMIT! I just want this game to be good.

Is that too much to ask for? A good Sonic game?

There are several good Sonic games.

Bass260

lol at around 17 minutes in Part 2... the springs part. I knew Sonic Boom would be bad but not this bad. I wonder how small the budget was.

I am so glad at this response.

I have been bugging Sega1991 to do another race like our Charity Sonic 2006 race a few years back, but no game was ever going to be the right combination of terrible/fun to watch as Sonic 2006.

It doesn't sound like Sonic Boom is quite there but it's getting there.

J@hranimo

Banned
Who did?

I'll buy it on sale someday just because you can play as Amy.

......you would be surprised.

I know some that tried to win this game in a sweepstakes.

Like I knew it was going to be bad being a non-Sega developed side game, but this is horrendous. I'm sure the kids will gobble it up though. I've heard the first episode of the cartoon was good though.

Top Bottom