• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Boom Street Date (and fans' hearts) Broken

SykoTech

What was even the point of this re-imagining?
The game looks like garbage, the animated series was screwed by Cartoon Network (6 in the morning? Are you kidding?), I just don't get it.

I think it's 7 am on Saturdays and 6 am for reruns on Sundays.

But yeah, terrible timeslot either way. They didn't promote it at all either. I had no idea it was coming on until I was flipping through the schedule for Toonami and saw it. Show's been sent to die.

Nokterian

My speakers nearly blowed up that sound and the hard talking jezus also this game..is it a game? Yeah..let's put it to sleep and forget about it.

Neff

DAMMIT! I just want this game to be good.

Is that too much to ask for? A good Sonic game?

Colours was good. Generations was good. Lost World was good. Sonic Team can still turn out a good Sonic title when they need to, and apparently they're doing one for Wii U/PS4/Bone this year. And that'll probably be good too.

But this right here is what you get when ex-Naughty Dog guys try it, and it's not pretty. The only commendable element to it is that it sports a Richard Jacques soundtrack, which isn't quite enough to get me to play something this janky-looking and annoying.

m6RQOV.gif

Someone's gonna fired for this

L.gif

I am so glad at this response.

I have been bugging Sega1991 to do another race like our Charity Sonic 2006 race a few years back, but no game was ever going to be the right combination of terrible/fun to watch as Sonic 2006.

It doesn't sound like Sonic Boom is quite there but it's getting there.
I thought you guys were going to do Shadow the Hedgehog at one point? Was the whole multiple playthroughs aspect too much of a pain to work out?

So between the shittiness of this game and the show being shoved to a graveyard timeslot with absolutely no promotion, can we declare the Sonic Boom franchise youarealreadydead.jpg?

I am so glad at this response.

I have been bugging Sega1991 to do another race like our Charity Sonic 2006 race a few years back, but no game was ever going to be the right combination of terrible/fun to watch as Sonic 2006.

It doesn't sound like Sonic Boom is quite there but it's getting there.

At this point, I kinda hope the game becomes even more of a trainwreck as it goes on, if only for the LP stream potential. At least it'd be good for something at that point.

I thought you guys were going to do Shadow the Hedgehog at one point? Was the whole multiple playthroughs aspect too much of a pain to work out?

We tossed the idea around but he eventually convinced me that the final ending is such a pain in the ass that it would very likely end with neither of us accomplishing it.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I think it's 7 am on Saturdays and 6 am for reruns on Sundays.

But yeah, terrible timeslot either way. They didn't promote it at all either. I had no idea it was coming on until I was flipping through the schedule for Toonami and saw it. Show's been sent to die.

I believe it's 7 AM Eastern.
I live in the Central Time Zone so it's 6 AM for me.

Revven

At this point, I kinda hope the game becomes even more of a trainwreck as it goes on, if only for the LP stream potential. At least it'd be good for something at that point.

And don't forget speedrunners! I know Darkspinessonic is going to be all over this game (in fact he bought a 3DS Capture Card recently for Smash 3DS streaming, I think he played the Sonic Boom demo recently on the 3DS on-stream).

SoulUnison

Banned
It can't be worse than '06 just on the virtue that the plot doesn't involve time travel, Trunks the Hedgehog coming back in time to stop Islam, or hot Human on Anthropomorphic Hedgehog beastiality.

That said, this looks so, so bad.

This might be the first Sonic game I haven't felt the slightest excitement for since Sonic Rivals.

RM8

This was probably still more expensive to make than an okay Sonic 4-ish 2D platformer that could have been simply skinned with the Sonic Boom theme. Why do companies make insanely terrible games that are completely out of their scope in the first place?

MrBadger

I enjoyed it when I was a kid. Can't say the same if I would play it today; but I rather enjoyed myself with the title.

Hey, I can still play Sonic Heroes on occasion. It's got its fair share of flaws but I'll take it over Sonic Adventure 2 and everything that came after up to Colours. And I think it's safe to say Boom.

Komo

Banned
I fail to see something wrong here

The wooden objects and other props stick out like a sore thumb on that map, there's practically no lighting or shading, which makes it look like something that belongs on the PS2

It's a heavy contrast to other games using the CryEngine, that's for sure

Myggen

This game looked bad from the day it was revealed, and I hadn't heard a single good impression from anyone who had seen it pre-release. So this was as expected as they come.

Top Bottom