• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic confirmed for Smash Bros 3DS/Wii U

Zomba13

Glad he's coming back. Expected but nice to get confirmation. What's the next blue third party character to be added? Inky?

Pretty excited for Sonic returning despite being an obvious addition. I think I would have been bummed if Sonic didn't make it in.

Although, I'm a bit surprised we didn't get a Pokémon reveal today. Maybe the day of, or before XY's release.

PK Gaming

Cool. I hope he ends up having new moves in the final build.

It's interesting how everyone is happy that he's in smash, but on any other day, that same group of people is willing to shit on Sonic.

It's an interesting dichotomy.

Jagsrock

Banned
what's with people saying he was garbage in brawl?? He's my main and ive never had issues with him, I don't understand...

RomanceDawn

I've seen people use Sonic like he was a monster. I was amazed at what they were capable of despite Sonic showing up late and having him balanced on the weaker side. Now though, I bet Sonic gets a buff with a bit more priority and knock back on certain moves. He's going to be a force to be reckoned with, mark my words.

what's with people saying he was garbage in brawl?? He's my main and ive never had issues with him, I don't understand...
It's all right, practically every character was garbage in Brawl.

Because Brawl was practically garbage to play on any sort of high level.

Seik

Banned
Yes, yes and yes!!!!

I expected him to be there, especially since we'll have some Sonic exclusives, but it feels good to have a confirmation.

SuperSah

Banned
No 3DS images? Even Toon Link had a few. Unless I'm not seeing them on the site.

Only the single one I posted in the Smash thread, here again:

screen-10.jpg

Kinda expected but awesome nonetheless.

Is it bad that I kinda want Rayman in as a playable character? He's had a revival and I think he'd fit in the Smash universe.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm obviously a happy man as Toon Link and Sonic were my mains in Brawl. Funny that their announcements were right next to each other, and so closely together.

This was pretty great, thanks!

Now, I think we need Chrom with Roy/Marth/Ike costumes, just for tears. We also need a Princess Zelda reveal. Although, in a perfect world, we'd get Domino/Sami from Advance Wars. She'd be the "Solid Snake" style character with a lot of weapons. Although the weapons would be appropriately cartoonish due to it being Advance Wars.

deleted

Kinda expected but awesome nonetheless.

Is it bad that I kinda want Rayman in as a playable character? He's had a revival and I think he'd fit in the Smash universe.

Rayman would be as awesome as Bomberman. But I think Sakurai has enough on his hands with two guest spots. They can add more than enough new characters from Nintendo that fans wanted in the game.

Spinluck

I was pretty damn good with him..

Mainly cause I was determined to get really good with him. I played some pretty good players, sometimes lost, won a lot. But no matter the outcome I was usually got complimented on my play with him. Generally because people know how bad he was. Although I feel with perfect/smart play you can steal a match from almost any player who isn't a godtier Smash, but that is probably my competitive side speaking.

NotLiquid

It's competitive reasons really. He wasn't necessarily "garbage" my any sense of the word. Along with Olimar he's had the highest tier jumps from their initial position and is placed somewhere below-average. The reason he's not favored competitively is that, despite having a lot of very good moves to rack up damage, as well as the best speed, his critical flaw is that he has no good KO moves. The best thing he has is his backward aerial which is a bit too circumstantial, as well as his forward smash, which lacks in range. Most characters could land a KO move at low damages when fighting Sonic, while with him you have to actively work to get up to the necessary damage (even if personally he's fun enough to play with that I don't mind doing that).

He's one of the characters who can easily hold his own in a fight against most characters but save for a few exceptions he has no advantageous match-ups.

Tookay

It's all right, practically every character was garbage in Brawl.

Because Brawl was practically garbage to play on any sort of high level.

Pretty much.

Sadly the footage of this game looks to be mostly a continuation of the physics/movement of Brawl.

Mr-Joker

Banned
It's a shame they put the lame newer Sonic and not the classic one. I'd love to see classic Sonic vs. Mega Man vs. Mario. Child me would have been in heaven watching that video.

If you at some of the pictures carefully you can see that at some angle Sonic has that classic Sonic look.

Toxi

Banned
This is actually an exciting reveal.

Also, Sonic isn't garbage in Brawl. He's just okay. He has low power but some decent tricks and great movement and recovery. If you want actually awful, try someone like Samus, Link, or Ganondorf who have mediocre-to-terrible power, speed, and recovery (Yes, Ganondorf doesn't have high power thanks to stale moves severely affecting his one or two decent attack options)).

Top Bottom