• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Forces DLC leak: Episode Shadow

My girlfriend got the file from the game data, painted over it to make it look nicer, then printed it and found a comparable frame from Amazon

QQCO1pN.jpg

My goal is to gain high political office and keep it on my desk

This needs to be sold dammit, too hilarious.

MrBadger

I don't really keep up with Sonic games, but why is secret US agent Shadow the Hedgehog working with Eggman to overthrown the world? In fact why are any of the villains other than his OCs on his side? Didn't Chaos get purified and ascend or something? I thought red guy from Lost World tried to kill Egman at one point.

What I'm asking is, do different eras of Sonic games take place in their own universes a la Megami Tensei's Amala Network? Because as far as I can tell they retcon the world/characters every 4-5 games, and divergent timelines are they only explanation I can think of.

I'm pretty sure Sonic 06 was the last main game to follow any kind of "canon". In 2010, they hired new writers and went a lot lighter on story. This is the first Sonic game in a long time to have a prominent story.

My guess is they all got brainwashed to work for Eggman and there's no big deep reason that ties into the other games.

Banned
Good thing my Switch has a screen protector on it. Wouldn't want to risk scratching my screen with all that edge.

That remix of Supporting Me. OH BABY.

Edit: Gameplay looks pretty fun to me. More interesting than the other stages we've seen? Maybe?

Kyari

My girlfriend got the file from the game data, painted over it to make it look nicer, then printed it and found a comparable frame from Amazon

QQCO1pN.jpg

I need this in my life. Please repost the nicer image!

Piers

That level looks cool.

It's also the same level, at least type, we've seen a bunch of times now.
I get companies want to keep surprises up to release but it's starting to look unusual that Sonic Team's that content at showing nothing new this late after reveal.

TrueBlue

A remix of Supporting Me? Good lord.

Level looked alright. The section where Shadow repeatedly justs boosts left to right through robots was the worst bit.

MrBadger

A remix of Supporting Me? Good lord.

Level looked alright. The section where Shadow repeatedlt justs boosts left to right through robots was the worst bit.

I swear the robots in this game don't do anything.

How the fuck did Eggman take over the world with those things?

Jazzem

I'm sure there's a bed of spikes with his name on it in at least one of those levels <3

An acid pit would also be appreciated

QQCO1pN.jpg

Bahaha amazing

TrueBlue

I swear the robots in this game don't do anything.

How the fuck did Eggman take over the world with those things?

It wouldn't have been so bad if the level didn't have boost-spring-boost-spring four times in the space of like seven seconds.

That it's strictly 2D is also annoying. Makes me question the presence of a neutered Classic Sonic even more.

bman94

Awesome! Shadow's my favorite character and I'm glad we finally get to use someone other than Sonic in a modern Sonic game. I wonder if this is a pre-order bonus or just separate day one dlc/Deluxe package.

Neat. Hope he has a gun.

I hope to God that he doesn't.

Toa Axis

That Supporting Me remix is bangin'.

The level design however... is not. This has been a constant in every piece of footage they've revealed for Forces. It just is so pedestrian and lacking in creativity or challenge, and the excessive automation is once again back in full force.

They've also shown surprisingly little of the game. This thing is coming out in November and we've only seen a handful of stages in full, all of those taking place in similar environments. We've seen snippets of new things, but only snippets. Like, what could that possibly have hidden that's worth playing so close to the chest?

Unless they just know that what they have isn't great and aren't confident :p

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
All this awful wrapped up in one package. It's like they created the ultimate Sonic Bad Times Quarantine Pack, and that's what allowed Mania out into the world so wonderful and pure.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Interesting, I wonder if Sonic's other friend will be playable?

Not long till the game is release and I can't wait to play it.

I'm pretty sure Sonic 06 was the last main game to follow any kind of "canon". In 2010, they hired new writers and went a lot lighter on story. This is the first Sonic game in a long time to have a prominent story.

My guess is they all got brainwashed to work for Eggman and there's no big deep reason that ties into the other games.

Nope, Unleashed still follows the canon story so it goes;

-Unleashed,
-Colours,
-Generation,
-Lost World,
-Forces.

It's just that they lightened the tone of the story to keep it light hearted as Adventure 2, Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 06 were far too serous that just wasn't needed.

MrBadger

Nope, Unleashed still follows the canon story so it goes;

-Unleashed,
-Colours,
-Generation,
-Lost World,
-Forces.

It's just that they lightened the tone of the story to keep it light hearted as Adventure 2, Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 06 were far too serous that just wasn't needed.

Yeah, but 06 was the last time the games actively followed on from each other and picked up on plot threads and character arcs from previous games. You can tell the writing staff from Colours onwards is different to before. I'll be surprised if Forces tries to give a good reason for any of those characters being evil besides evil mind control or something.

Tank Jr.

Neo Member
I like how they have a Shadow costume and couldn't be bothered to make him playable in the campaign as a quick little swap.

DesiacX

I like how they have a Shadow costume and couldn't be bothered to make him playable in the campaign as a quick little swap.

From the microsoft store

Get EPISODE SHADOW to uncover the untold story of the new villain, Infinite, and rediscover three updated stages playing as Shadow. Plus, play as Shadow in over 10 Modern Sonic based stages!

Experience the full story behind the new villain's rise to power and as you find renewed replayablity across Modern Sonic stages. The fate of Sonic the Hedgehog's world is in your hands – Join the Uprising.

ezodagrom

The level design however... is not. This has been a constant in every piece of footage they've revealed for Forces. It just is so pedestrian and lacking in creativity or challenge, and the excessive automation is once again back in full force.
This is the biggest issue I'm having with the game so far, level design is looking to be so much worse than Generations, which didn't really have amazing level design to begin with (there were some good or even great stages, but nothing truly amazing).

Berordn

I'm in Day 1, but that 2D Shadow footage looks like it was snatched straight out of Sonic Colors, which isn't really a compliment.

Most of the Modern gameplay is mimicking Colors, outside of the powerup wisps. You don't see it often in the gameplay footage, but Sonic actually has the Colors double jump as well.

mo60

Don't, it's mind-numbingly boring if you try to do anything besides go straight for the goal ring.

There were aso a few really annoying dark and hero side missions in shadow the hedgehog if I recall that took ages to complete.

Top Bottom