• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Forces DLC leak: Episode Shadow

sonto340

How exactly is that a bad thing? Colors was what got Sonic out of his funk.
Colors is the worst post 06 sonic game. The 3D sections are boring with almost zero variance or alternate paths and are largely “hold boost to win,” and the 2D sections are weird and just flat out bad. It’s a shame people latched on to Colors as the good one, because it’s stink is still fucking up the franchise. And don’t get me started on locking out a good chunk of Sonic’s moveset unless you were in specific sections. It’s a mess. Generations was playing more to Unleashed in its level design and it shows.
Lost World ran with the ideas presented in Colors and tried to shove a new control scheme into the mix as well. The result was interesting, but not great at the end of the day
This game seems closer to a Colors 2 than a Generations 2 and that’s a horrible thing.

Unknown?

Colors is the worst post 06 sonic game. The 3D sections are boring with almost zero variance or alternate paths and are largely “hold boost to win,” and the 2D sections are weird and just flat out bad. It’s a shame people latched on to Colors as the good one, because it’s stink is still fucking up the franchise. Generations was playing more to Unleashed in its level design and it shows.
Lost World ran with the ideas presented in Colors and tried to shove a new control scheme into the mix as well. The result was interesting, but not great at the end of the day
This game seems closer to a Colors 2 than a Generations 2 and that’s a horrible thing.
Most people disagree but I see where you're coming from. I'm sure people would have latched onto Unleashed as the good one but seemingly everyone hated the werehog.

MrBadger

Most of the 3D games before Colours were utter trash with the only entertainment coming from the premise, story (depending on who you are) and music. It's no wonder Colours was the first one people "latched onto" as being good, because over half of Unleashed was crap (and the idea of a Werehog is just so ridiculous) and there's nothing redeeming about Black Knight outside of presentation. Colours was a step forward, Generations was a step forward from Colours, and this and Lost World are just going backwards again.

Ferr986

I liked Colors more than Generations tbh. The game REALLY shines when you go to collect red rings. Stages are massive!

RobbieNick

Colors is the worst post 06 sonic game. The 3D sections are boring with almost zero variance or alternate paths and are largely “hold boost to win,” and the 2D sections are weird and just flat out bad. It’s a shame people latched on to Colors as the good one, because it’s stink is still fucking up the franchise. And don’t get me started on locking out a good chunk of Sonic’s moveset unless you were in specific sections. It’s a mess. Generations was playing more to Unleashed in its level design and it shows.

I'm gonna have to disagree as I loved Colors myself. The level design wasn't always perfect, but it had a great combination of beautiful worlds, a decent and humorous story, great music and a gimmick that actually fucking works!

However, I feel the daytime Sonic levels in Unleashed did it the best. Having 2-D moments mixed in with 3-D and Sonic controlling similar to a motorcycle actually helped Sonic work well in 3-D. My main issue is that things like holding R2 to make Sonic drift in a turn has left the newer games and now that's gone.

I've played Sonic Forces at shows and I'm still not very happy with it. Colors may have had similar level design, but it slowed down when necessary, paced itself well, didn't add an extra gimmick to an already well working gimmick (Wispons?!) and the levels were longer than UNDER TWO MINUTES!

Seriously! What's with the shortness of these levels?! Even Unleashed's shortest Sonic levels were around 5 minutes. I don't like the idea of having to play in such short chunks.

You can call me crazy but I liked Black Knight's weirdness x)

I liked the Storybook series for doing something different. They were interesting at least if not very good.

Seeing all the Sonic characters as different characters was cool.

Also Sonic & the Secret Rings' multiplayer mode is also a Sonic party game. The sequel to Sonic Shuffle.

This is such a baffling post considering that the game actively prevents you from "hold boost to win" by using special wisps you rarely find in containers to power your meter instead of rings you find literally everywhere.

Ferr986

Honestly... I endured through all of 06 shittyness, but I didn't even finish 1 stage of Secret Rings.

I was excited to try it when a friend got it but the controls were the most abyssmal shit I ever tried.

Later I did read the game controls better once you level up but I find super weird that they start the game with shitty controls and you have to "un-shit" them.

Blue-kun

Seriously! What's with the shortness of these levels?! Even Unleashed's shortest Sonic levels were around 5 minutes. I don't like the idea of having to play in such short chunks.

Looking at this, chances are it's just a side-mission, the kind of which Generations also had and were equally as short. It dosn't look a 'main act', basically.

Slermy

Colors is the worst post 06 sonic game. The 3D sections are boring with almost zero variance or alternate paths and are largely ”hold boost to win," and the 2D sections are weird and just flat out bad. It's a shame people latched on to Colors as the good one, because it's stink is still fucking up the franchise. And don't get me started on locking out a good chunk of Sonic's moveset unless you were in specific sections. It's a mess. Generations was playing more to Unleashed in its level design and it shows.
This game seems closer to a Colors 2 than a Generations 2 and that's a horrible thing.

Wow, thought I was alone in not liking Colors.

I actually enjoyed Unleashed for the most part and felt like it was about 3 months out from being a fantastic game. There are odd design decisions scattered everywhere that seemed easily solvable (bottomless pits everywhere, too many enemies in werehog sections with ONLY ONE MUSIC TRACK).

Yukinari

The way the wisps just get tossed into games with no consideration for if they fit the situation is one of my issues with Colors.

Wisps are not mario powerups that you can just put into everything. Even when Mario adds powerups its usually changed to suit the game like in Galaxy.

Village

The way the wisps just get tossed into games with no consideration for if they fit the situation is one of my issues with Colors.

Wisps are not mario powerups that you can just put into everything. Even when Mario adds powerups its usually changed to suit the game like in Galaxy.

tbh you can say this about a lot of sonic forces stuff

Honestly feel that Episode Shadow DLC is something that should had been in the base game, but hey, it's free. Though with that gameplay clip shown, that's easily the least of my problems.

I refuse to mince words--free DLC / "optional" or not, that Shadow gameplay was absolutely horrible. I didn't think the Classic Sonic Forces Green Hill could be topped in its abysmal quality but this somehow did it.

Bad enemy placement and design, almost the same stock enemies used throughout the level, all stacked in rows, who mostly sit there and are only used for bowling pins or HA chains.
Almost entirely flat level design, there's only one example of sloped terrain in the entire thing. Everything's comprised of square platforms, there's no unique level geometry at play here at all.
Even more automated Homing Attack mechanics, like that heat-seeker range HA that can hit enemies yards away and fly over level design, and the Lost World-styled Homing Attack that chews through entire strings of enemies.
The same stop-and-go fifth-grade precision platforming over bottomless pits from previous titles, there's no gameplay flow here whatsoever. It's automated "fast" gameplay hamfistedly tossed in with blocky "slow" platforming.
The level layouts has zero cohesion in either its structure or its adherence to the level theme (the entire level is mostly made up of ugly gray boxes and Radical Highway-striped platforms recycled from past games, that don't even try to match theworld setting). This is the type of crap level design you'd see in the worst of game mods and fan projects.
And of course, this is all crammed into yet another 2D level, and it's still the same Green Hill with Sand Zone.

I'm mostly been disappointed or unimpressed with Forces as a whole but the game design is the one element that actively makes me mad about the game sometimes. This goes beyond subpar design and veers into a territory of outright laziness. The level design philosophy is at its worst here (and that's saying a lot, given this is Sonic we're talking about; a lot of the complaints here are in past games too) and it would be a big shame if Forces performed well enough so that it's continued in future Sonic games.

If Sega's not going to hand Sonic to another studio/division completely, the least Sega/Sonic Team could do is ban Kishimoto and his crew of designers from handling another Sonic game again. If that means risking a completely fresh team then so be it; because at this point a Kishimoto crew-directed/designed Sonic game has as much value as no Sonic game.
I think Episode shadow is supposed to be like the Nights into dreams pre-order DLC that came with the day 1 edition of Lost World. It's just remixed bosses and levels; nothing original.
The stage they showed was green hill with platforms scattered about

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The President would't miss it for the world.

tumblr_nmk2jw2Vj51u3iua1o1_400.gif
I like how he doesn't have a picture of his family or anything, literally a picture of a freak and his recolor! XD

Vidiot

Looking at this, chances are it's just a side-mission, the kind of which Generations also had and were equally as short. It dosn't look a 'main act', basically.

Modern Sonic's level is about 2 minutes with nothing to it but straight lines and the tag team level seemed pretty short too. Haven't watched a classic or OC level. I do hope the levels get a bit beefier and more diverse. Everything shown so far has been so mediocre compared to some of the levels from SU, Colors, and SG. Even if we take the first level from those three games they seem infinitely more interesting to me.

Village

I'll buy this. I remember modding my copy of Generations on PC just so I could play Shadow lol.

A lot of people did, the modding scene in generations got a lot of play from newsites, and people in general especially when the unleashed mods came about.

I wonder if this game will do the same

You think that I would have lost interest in Shadow when I got older considering that I thought he was awesome when I was a little kid but nope I still really like him!

It's funny now that I think about it.

Village

You think that I would have lost interest in Shadow when I got older considering that I thought he was awesome when I was a little kid but nope I still really like him!

It's funny now that I think about it.

People who grew up shit a lot of times still like the shit they grew up with despite absurdity . its not really uncommon.

I still read comics, those things are batshit

I think Episode shadow is supposed to be like the Nights into dreams pre-order DLC that came with the day 1 edition of Lost World. It's just remixed bosses and levels; nothing original.
The stage they showed was green hill with platforms scattered about

Original or not, the level design still looks like hot trash. The level location was just one of several criticisms I had with the level.

Half of Mania's zones and acts are based off zones/layouts from earlier games; that doesn't stop that game's level design from being excellent, let alone miles above the level design being showcased here and elsewhere in Forces.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Colors is the worst post 06 sonic game. The 3D sections are boring with almost zero variance or alternate paths and are largely ”hold boost to win,"

When was the last time you have actually played Colours? As Colours was the only game where the boost was hardly used since you needed fill the boost meter via the while wisp which weren't that common.

In all my playthrough of Colours I have moments where Sonic ran out of boost was pretty much running without it.

Unleashed is more "boost to win", though Jungle Joyride punishes you for trying to play the game that way.

And don't get me started on locking out a good chunk of Sonic's moveset unless you were in specific sections.

There's a reason why they did that, the game was on the Wii and they accounted for all style of controller options, including the Wiimote side way.

Lost World ran with the ideas presented in Colors and tried to shove a new control scheme into the mix as well

No it did not, Lost Words ran with the idea of turning Sonic into a Mario/Donkey Kong clone and failing at it. Plus Lost Worlds couldn't decided which game play style did it wanted to promote and as a result it was a mess.

Sonic Lost World is not a good game, but I commend them for trying something. The gameplay is a lot more open and the spin dash replaces the boost. However, just moving around feels really bad. The 3DS game does it and parkour much better but it has worse levels.
It's unfortunate that Forces seems mediocre and a retread.
Original or not, the level design still looks like hot trash. The level location was just one of several criticisms I had with the level.

Half of Mania's zones and acts are based off zones/layouts from earlier games; that doesn't stop that game's level design from being excellent, let alone miles above the level design being showcased here and elsewhere in Forces.
Not sure if it's so much the level design as is the presentation.
Seems decently exciting as a 2D level. It's very fast, but it's ugly floating platforms just placed randomly

My girlfriend got the file from the game data, painted over it to make it look nicer, then printed it and found a comparable frame from Amazon

QQCO1pN.jpg

My goal is to gain high political office and keep it on my desk
Almost brings a tear to my eye.
Where's Episode Rouge
The real question.
Nope, Unleashed still follows the canon story so it goes;

-Unleashed,
-Colours,
-Generation,
-Lost World,
-Forces.

It's just that they lightened the tone of the story to keep it light hearted as Adventure 2, Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 06 were far too serous that just wasn't needed.
SA2 wasn't that lighthearted iirc

As a fan of shadow , neat. Back in my day, you could just play as characters with out having to pay extra, but neat.

As a person who's been looking at this game for the last few months however.

giphy.gif

( this game doesn't look the best )
I definitely was feeling monkey pawed when I saw all that 2D bullshit.

This is such a baffling post considering that the game actively prevents you from "hold boost to win" by using special wisps you rarely find in containers to power your meter instead of rings you find literally everywhere.

He means in the actual 3D segments since there was little to nothing in the actual 3D gameplay of Colors. Outside of that the 2D sections were painful due to that blocky level design combined with the wisp controlled gimmicks that constant broke player momentum.

The only good game that wisps took the main stage in was Sonic Runners, outside of that someone please erase them shits.

Interesting, I wonder if Sonic's other friend will be playable?

Not long till the game is release and I can't wait to play it.

Nope, Unleashed still follows the canon story so it goes;

-Unleashed,
-Colours,
-Generation,
-Lost World,
-Forces.

It's just that they lightened the tone of the story to keep it light hearted as Adventure 2, Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 06 were far too serous that just wasn't needed.

???

Eggman literally holds a gun to Amy's head, taunts Sonic through Crazy Gadget with subtle lines like:

"SHE WILL DIE"

Gerald is executed via firing squad on a videotape the characters watch, conveniently cutting away at the last second. His posthumous plan involves destroying the Earth over Maria's death. Shadow's prototype is so malformed it literally requires a life-support system the size of a small car that Shadow destroys to kill it. Sonic is arrested by the military for crimes committed by Shadow. There's human skeletons in Death Chamber and Aquatic Mine. There's a stage where Rouge can die in a massive explosion if you take too long. She nearly falls off of scaffolding into magma in one cutscene.

Need I go on?

Camjo-Z

???

Eggman literally holds a gun to Amy's head, taunts Sonic through Crazy Gadget with subtle lines like:

"SHE WILL DIE"

Gerald is executed via firing squad on a videotape the characters watch, conveniently cutting away at the last second. His posthumous plan involves destroying the Earth over Maria's death. Shadow's prototype is so malformed it literally requires a life-support system the size of a small car that Shadow destroys to kill it. Sonic is arrested by the military for crimes committed by Shadow. There's human skeletons in Death Chamber and Aquatic Mine. There's a stage where Rouge can die in a massive explosion if you take too long. She nearly falls off of scaffolding into magma in one cutscene.

Need I go on?

I think there was an implied comma after "light-hearted".

ckaneo

???

"SHE WILL DIE"

Need I go on?

These were all awesome moments. Please return to this level Sonic Team.

I mean, some of it was kinda cool. I can always appreciate a good gaggle of skeletons.

It's just kinda hard to play that kind of story seriously when the main characters are cartoony animals with heads the size of a grown man's torso. The awkward voice acting didn't help. The fact that Forces looks like it's trying WAY too hard to be serious is part of what rubs me the wrong way about it; especially since the characters look even sillier than before with the advent of tiny Classic Sonic and the ability to create a character who looks anywhere from "mildly out-of-place":

custom_hero_render_by_nibroc_rock-db9n9zj.png

to "Did this guy come from the wrong game?":

hero.png

"You're not even good enough to be my f- I'LL MAKE YOU EAT THOSE WORDS"

Don't return to this level. But please bring it back along with good/improved gameplay.

I miss Sonic Game Drama. I bought Heroes, Shadow, and 06 just to find out the fate of Shadow the Hedgehog and all them games were hot trizzash. Yes. Heroes included.

I want that drama, but I want improved quality that takes Unleashed and Generations and goes beyond.

Forces gameplay looks weak af.

Top Bottom