• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Forces - Story Trailer

Seriously, why is Classic Sonic in this game? Unless someone tells me what Classic Sonic's role in the story is, I'm going to continue to believe that he is a detriment to this game. He can't just be there to appease classic fans. That's what Sonic Mania is for, and it's a damn good game. If Classic Sonic has no business being in this game, I hope his levels are optional as I didn't care much for them in Sonic Generations.

Sonic story spoilers:
At the end of Sonic Mania, classic Sonic gets dragged into this world, and the ruby from Mania is probably tied to Infinite.

Shahadan

Sonic's story was never really the problem. It's that cheesy 90s Saturday morning cartoon shit we expect.

The problem is it's execution mixed with the gameplay mixed with the characters. They gotta fix that shit up.

I'm sorry but the actual 90s saturday morning cartoons with Sonic were all better than this

LordKasual

Banned
3tecnsI.png

ahahahaha why are the cacs so god damn ugly

i cannot wait to experience this game

Fireblend

Banned
So, in that scene where Infinite attacks the custom character...

WHY DID HE NOT TELEPORT BEHIND HIM

HOW COULD THEY THROW AWAY THAT OPPORTUNITY

Village

Seriously, why is Classic Sonic in this game? Unless someone tells me what Classic Sonic's role in the story is, I'm going to continue to believe that he is a detriment to this game. He can't just be there to appease classic fans. That's what Sonic Mania is for, and it's a damn good game. If Classic Sonic has no business being in this game, I hope his levels are optional as I didn't care much for them in Sonic Generations.

]

Story wise there is a reason

Really, because they didn't have convenience in his game being what they wanted it to be,probably didn't have any game ideas, and threw him and the two other game play styles in there.

Although an interview recently came out that kind of confirms this might have started as generations 2. And then they just then everything else on that.

Then in that same interview they make it sound like they actually came up with the story first , and then they might not have come with a solid gameplay idea outside of the buddy gameplay mechanic and then threw everything else on that

So whichever way it was ,they had an idea didn't have confidence in that, and threw other shit on the idea

Chao

It makes me sad that talented people get to work on something so incredibly cringe inducing instead of good games.

Lijik

This is probably too clever for this game but in Generations, Sonic remarks they beat robotnik every time, but this is a timeline where hes conquered 99% of the world and classic sonic is noted as being from another dimension. My guess is Classic Sonic is meant to be the ringer

Neoxon

Mania's Classic Sonic & the Phantom Ruby got sucked into Modern Sonic's world. And as others have said, the Phantom Ruby is probably tied to Infinite in some way (likely being the gem attached to his chest).

Mania's Classic Sonic & the Phantom Ruby got sucked into Modern Sonic's world. And as others have said, the Phantom Ruby is probably tied to Infinite in some way (likely being the gem attached to his chest).

I loved that they actually took the time to have an explanation and have Forces be connected to Mania.

It shows how serious they are about the story. Which will make it all the better to experience it.

Pictured: Game that scales with Switch's horsepower

edit - fuck I almost forgot this was a new Sonic Forces thread. Looks like shit, thank god for Mania

So we're using Ultra setting screenshots from a game using one of the most advanced engines in the industry that was also created by the same developer who have been leisurely porting to each piece of hardware with infinity more time and resources with one of the smartest minds in development at the helm as a fair comparison now?

The fact that you only have one game to list as a comparison for your point speaks volumes at both the difficulty and rarity of games scaling from Switch to PC levels of power while pushing the visual envelope across all platforms. Nice try tho?

The fact that you only have one game to list as a comparison for your point speaks volumes at both the difficulty and rarity of games scaling from Switch to PC levels of power while pushing the visual envelope across all platforms. Nice try tho?

Dragon Quest Heroes 2, Fifa 18, Nba2k18, DragonBall Xenoverse 2 all have considerable better visuals on other platforms.
The reason because it looks like this isn't the Switch, they could make it look much better on the other platforms if they wanted. It's just a lower budget project than some other games. And also the reason why they're still gonna make a profit even with the 40$ price.

ckaneo

Basically they are combing all the sonic games
Boost from Modern sonic
Classic sonic
Villians from all the eras
Tag Team from Sonic Heroes
Adventure like narrative

I say Forces' NPC design is actually worse than the Boom spin-offs, they at least had different anatomy, outfits and facial features like a beard to stick out from each other.

These are the custom character with slight modifications and nothing else

Edit: Even Sonic Unleashed's human designs don't look all that modular, places like Holoska and Mazuri might have had similar looking outfit designs for the characters, but they all stood out from each other

sonic-unleashed-20081120013206360-000.jpg
tumblr_inline_obcbtgnURO1tb7s4q_500.gif

Pretty much

Unleashed... The last AAA Sonic game...

Blueblur1

Just like with MvCI, Sega is not getting my money for this tripe. Hopefully it sells less than Mania and Sonic Team stops pumping out these repetitive 3D games.

Mesoian

So we're using Ultra setting screenshots from a game using one of the most advanced engines in the industry that was also created by the same developer who have been leisurely porting to each piece of hardware with infinity more time and resources with one of the smartest minds in development at the helm as a fair comparison now?

...I mean, it's been out for 6 months?

Just like with MvCI, Sega is not getting my money for this tripe. Hopefully it sells less than Mania and Sonic Team stops pumping out these repetitive 3D games.

Infinite is good though. It's just ugly.

Sami+

Oohhh, sorry! I didn't realize that it's unfair to compare because DOOM's developer is actually talented and the Bethesda invested money in their game. I just thought it'd be fine since your post implies that it's actually just the Switch's fault for Sonic Forces graphically looking like shit across all platforms.

So basically, it's the Switch's fault when multiplats look like trash on PS4/XB1/PC, except when they don't, but those don't count because the developers are good. Or something.

Edit - (psst, btw your "ultra settings" burn doesn't actually mean anything because logic dictates that we're looking at the highest possible PC settings of Sonic Forces as well, oops)

Regiruler

I didn't think the story would be this... prominent.

They were simply fine in Colors and Lost World. I had hoped this would die down into window dressing again...
Sonic story spoilers:
At the end of Sonic Mania, classic Sonic gets dragged into this world, and the ruby from Mania is probably tied to Infinite.

That's not a why, that's a how.

Classic Sonic was an awful idea. 3D sonics are already full of 2d sections, the balance didn't need to be offset even further.

Village

I didn't think the story would be this... prominent.

They were simply fine in Colors and Lost World. I had hoped this would die down into window dressing again...

People like stories.

It seems like it might be the only interesting thing about this game

Village

I preferred it when most of the writing was relegated to funny lines for Eggman.

Some people prefer that saturday morning action cartoon vibe they got from the adventure games.They are doing that, they havent done that in a while, i think that's ok because they havent done it in a while. And these games are allowed to be different

Zubz

Banned
I guess "Rookie" is going to be their nickname for the player character. I think I'm fine with that.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Gameplay wise I don't like the direction of this game at all.

But honestly? I dig that trailer, I dig the glorious return of Silver, I dig that song that was playing, I dig Infinite and I dig the direction the story seems to be going in. Should be a fun time. But the game needs the President to show up at some point.

Not

Banned
I think 3D Sonic needs a new artstyle. And I don't mean Sonic Boom. None of the designs look cool or appealing anymore, they're just vanilla and dumb

Top Bottom