• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations Announced [PS3 / XBOX 360 / PC / 3DS] - No Wii Version Official

TheOGB

Banned
So my cousins (6 and 4 years old) have been clamoring for a game to play so I set up Sonic Heroes once again and said "Here, shut up."
Not really
After a while of struggling to play, my lack of a controller in good condition partially to blame, they started to become confounded and eventually this happened. I lol'd, but the kids were not amused. They demanded to play another game, but I thought it'd be a bad idea to try to teach them how to play Street Fighter, so I just had them play Sonic Fan Remix.

Imagine my surprise when the 6-year-old gets a hang of the game almost immediately. I even went out of my way to avoid teaching him how to spindash until it was necessary. I think I may have successfully taught him the value of momentum over homing attacking everywhere. I'm so proud. ;D
The 4-year-old, however, got confused when I told her to hold down the right arrow key to run. -.-

And the Sonic Heroes themes were pretty shit comparatively

JonCha

So you've not played Colours, which features platforming that isn't linear because it allows the player to take different routes ad encourages exploration through multiple sessions. It's completely different to Unleashed which had zero creativity in terms of level design, really, yet you're completely qualified to make an analysis over why Modern Sonic suck.

Why people can't objectively buy games and objectively evaluate is beyond me. Personally I'll buy the game as long as the mechanics are solid, the level design is good and consistent and the game itself isn't ultra short. This way I'm not stopping myself from buying anything that may actually be good. Annoys me to know end bow people can be so stubborn as to close off any potential release that may be successful.

Oh, and it'd be nice if Ruby still posted on here. Does it new role stop him from doing that?

SimonM7

Though it's immediately obvious when someone's so put off by the general direction of the new games that they rage against everything about them, it never ceases to confuse me how people choose phrases like "plays itself" and "hold right to win" to describe them.

Sure, they're a far cry from methodical platforming (although as people point out not so with Colours, but it IS too much to expect of people that they've played a Wii game, I find) but if anything, every single modern Sonic iteration is bizarrely difficult. Except Wii Unleashed anyway, which only really has the one difficulty spike up your wazoo at the Eggmanland level.

Sure, there's a Simon Says (not me, other Simon) quality to Secret Rings and Unleashed, an almost a Guitar Hero-esque sequence of inputs you're asked to match, but if you don't, the game will eff you up with a staggering determination. In fact, if there's one criticism above all you can level towards those games in even their finest hour, it's that there's no way in a billion years kids will grasp the shit you need to be pulling off.

OMG Aero

PhantomOfTheKnight said:
Eggmanland was the hardest level in Unleashed, but it was definitely my favourite.
Yeah, I actually really liked Eggmanland. It was a genuinely hard level without feeling too cheap and swapping between Sonic and the werehog was a neat mechanic that I'm surprised they didn't use in the rest of the game. Although some people think it was too long, I didn't mind the length of the level. It felt like a real final level instead of just being just another short act and since you constantly swapped forms, it didn't feel like it dragged on like the werehog only levels.

Also the music was great.

ShadiWulf

Official XBOX Magazine UK has spilled more info on the story

* Current story details are:
“A mysterious new nemesis (Sega isn’t saying more than that at this time) arrives on the scene and immediately sets about eradicating the very fabric of space and time, as you do when you want to impress the new neighbours, The net result is that modern-day Sonic falls through a wormhole and winds up back in 1991, where he comes-to-face with his younger, squatter, flatter self.

1990′s Sonic isn’t much of a conversationalist, but since the entire world around them has suddenly been drained of colour, it doesn’t take a 30-minute PowerPoint presentation for the two of them to realise that something has gone desperately wrong. Hence, the two ‘hogs combine forces to form what Sega is calling a ‘Dream Team’ partnership, with the aim of restoring colour and vitality to some of Sonic lore’s most famous zones by besting them in both 2D and 3D.”

also, some more small details

* Iizuka tells OXM that like Green Hill Zone’s new cave section, every classic level will feature a new visual element to keep things fresh.

* “One of the main rules Sonic Team has abided by during Sonic Generations’ development is that there would be no re-using of old assets or level designs – these are brand new courses with a stunning HD lick of paint.”

* While OXM feels Sonic 4: Episode 1 is an excellent platformer in its own right, they think Sonic Generations feels more like a true follow-up.

* “Sonic’s jumps are weighted perfectly and the sense of speed is as breathtaking than as it was 20 years ago.”

theres some more details but I'm not sure if they are allowed to be posted since they are from a magazine. You can go find them on the biggest Sonic fansite though.

Blueblur1

ShadiWulf said:
Official XBOX Magazine UK has spilled more info on the story

also, some more small details

theres some more details but I'm not sure if they are allowed to be posted since they are from a magazine. You can go find them on the biggest Sonic fansite though.
That shouldn't be an issue. When magazines like Game Informer start hitting subscriber inboxes, people make new threads and update them with all the details. What you cannot post are scans, AFAIK.

TimmiT

* When asked how past levels were selected for the game, Takashi Iizuka responded:
“We took a democratic approach. We only get to celebrate Sonic’s 20th birthday once, so we wanted to make sure everyone got a say. What we did was poll every Sega worker – including those in Europe and America – and asked them to nominate their favourite Sonic levels of all time. Then we did some research with the core fanbase and we were able to draw up a shortlist from there.”
I like this part.

Mama Robotnik said:
Sega had their last chance with Unleashed and it was horrible. I've not bought a Sonic since. I'm not buying this one either, because as much as Sega have got right (music, graphics, hopefully physics), they're including the awful gameplay of the recent games along with the "classic" approach inspired by the good old games.

Its a stupid approach and some people, like myself and I imagine others, aren't comfortable with rewarding that.
Then how silly does it look that you're posting here, already having seen what this game will be, or any Sonic thread for that matter? We'll enjoy what looks to be the most promising Sonic yet, and you can just let us suffer through the colors style gameplay you haven't cared to try yet.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
When asked if Sonic’s friends will be making an appearance, Iizuka replied:
“Of course, because they’re a big part of Sonic history! But they’ll only be making cameos, be it as part of the story or in the backgrounds
. Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic will be the only two playable characters in the game.”
Sounds good to me.

When asked how past levels were selected for the game, Takashi Iizuka responded: “We took a democratic approach. We only get to celebrate Sonic’s 20th birthday once, so we wanted to make sure everyone got a say. What we did was poll every Sega worker – including those in Europe and America – and asked them to nominate their favourite Sonic levels of all time. Then we did some research with the core fanbase and we were able to draw up a shortlist from there
I agree with TimmiT--this bodes well for me in terms of level selection (we probably won't get Metropolis or Sandopolis *fingers crossed*). We'll most likely get the most memorable ones or the ones that are generally agreed upon as good.

I need to see more gameplay videos, though before I shift over to pure optimism. I am still cautiously optimistic.

And since it was a pretty day out (meaning that it's time to break out the sundresses!), I need to post this (picture credit goes to Sonic Stadium, of course
...my hands are more feminine
):

RW52K.jpg

Mind you, when I used to get these from the ice cream truck, they had black eyes instead of green (it was the early-to-mid 1990s, after all). And I think the eyes were always, always off-kilter. They tasted gooooooooooood. I miss having them. Not sure where you can find them in Canada at all. :(

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Chao said:
Looks like evil sonic's dumb kid.
There's a Classic Sonic version which only existed in the 1990s (edit: apparently they sell some with black eyes still--interesting!). I don't have a picture of it, unfortunately. Edit: found one!

MkSKG.jpg

I had one every week during the summer when I was little. :lol

What else was there... There was Game Gear gum (gum that came in a plastic case that looked like a Game Gear), which came with hint cards for Sonic games (which weren't very helpful). There were probably a lot of things, but I distinctly remember SEGA having more food items than Nintendo did (obviously, the opposite is true now) back in the 1990s. In Canada, at least.

Game Gear Gum:

cKlmZ.jpg
smQhS.jpg
uZQdg.jpg

More food here: http://www.sonicgear.org/USAPages/USAFoods.html

Dark Schala said:
Mind you, when I used to get these from the ice cream truck, they had black eyes instead of green (it was the early-to-mid 1990s, after all). And I think the eyes were always, always off-kilter. They tasted gooooooooooood. I miss having them. Not sure where you can find them in Canada at all. :(

Wow, I had no idea they changed the eyes... I bought one of these about a year or two ago (fucking delicious, by the way) and it had black gumball eyes.

That sonic ice lolly is made from the same stuff most of those shaped lollies are, hard to explain it but it has an odd texture to it to hold it all together. I have only tried that sonic once and never saw them again in my local shops, wonder why :p

RagnarokX

SwiftSketcher said:
Then how silly does it look that you're posting here, already having seen what this game will be, or any Sonic thread for that matter? We'll enjoy what looks to be the most promising Sonic yet, and you can just let us suffer through the colors style gameplay you haven't cared to try yet.
Flashbacks to Sonic 06 thread. The game LOOKS good, but I'm not giving Sega the benefit of the doubt on this one. I reserve judgement for when I can get a demo or someone shows off the classic Sonic gameplay.

I can understand where Mama Robotnik is coming from. Classic Sonic only really got 4 games. If we don't count handhelds, Modern Sonic has only had 4 games (5 I guess if you count Chaotix) and Modern Sonic has had 7. It's been about 16 years since the last classic game. Modern Sonic shows no sign of going anywhere, and after all this time it would be nice to have a full new Classic game. Depending on how many levels there are, this could be like only half the game people want.

And while Sonic Colors is a good game, I think it does a lot wrong too. It added more platforming, but it felt stiff and forced. They took spinning out entirely. Underwater sections were just big empty areas with infinite jumps instead of dangerous platforming areas (Hydrocity is king). Autorun sections are still terrible (Starlight Carnival Act 1).

RagnarokX

Dark Schala said:
What else was there... There was Game Gear gum (gum that came in a plastic case that looked like a Game Gear), which came with hint cards for Sonic games (which weren't very helpful). There were probably a lot of things, but I distinctly remember SEGA having more food items than Nintendo did (obviously, the opposite is true now) back in the 1990s. In Canada, at least.
More food here: http://www.sonicgear.org/USAPages/USAFoods.html
I remember the Life Savers. I only bought one pack because they tasted terrible but I remember they came with game hints for Sonic & Knuckles. The one I got told me about a hidden 1-up in Flying Battery Zone Act 1.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Showmeyamoves said:
I don't remember Game Gear gum but I do remember Sonic cards.

http://sega-memories.blogspot.com/2010/10/sonic-topps-trading-cards-best-and.html

Are these the cards your talking about?
I've never seen those before. The collector in me kind of wants them. :lol

These ones, actually:
Dark Schala said:
They had a picture of the game's cover and then hints written on the back. (card 1 of 9!) I have no idea where they are right now (probably buried in the basement somewhere), otherwise I'd post them in here. :/

Edit:
Rlan said:
I have the Game Gear gum package back at home in Adelaide, along with the same gum, but in a Genesis controller.
Yep--I remember the Genesis controller ones too. They had hint cards for the Genesis games (I remember having a few for Sonic 3).

Rlan

I have the Game Gear gum package back at home in Adelaide, along with the same gum, but in a Genesis controller.

I also have all the "Caps" and those cards :)

and these:

424px-WheresSonicNow1.jpg

Anybody have one of these as a child?!

BlueBubblesGame.jpg

Easily the best body wash I've ever had. You hit the buttons to make the rings float and try to get them on the yellow poles, quality bathing material and entertainment in one.

TheOGB

Banned
AwakenedCloud said:

BlueBubblesGame.jpg

Easily the best body wash I've ever had. You hit the buttons to make the rings float and try to get them on the yellow poles, quality bathing material and entertainment in one.
Holy shit, yes

nns3d

AwakenedCloud said:

BlueBubblesGame.jpg

My parents never bought me one, but I'd always mess around with it when I found it for sale at Target.

Flashbacks to Sonic 06 thread. The game LOOKS good, but I'm not giving Sega the benefit of the doubt on this one. I reserve judgement for when I can get a demo or someone shows off the classic Sonic gameplay.

You have to remember that Yuji Naka left the game early on in its development, which resulted in a complete rehaul of the original intentions of Sonic 2006. Plus, Sonic 2006 was reported to have had various problems prior to its release, but as fans we (or at least I did) shrugged it off thinking that it would get ironed out. This game has had a longer development time than Sonic '06, and judging by the quality of Sonic Unleashed I'm willing to give this game the benefit of the doubt.

And while Sonic Colors is a good game, I think it does a lot wrong too. It added more platforming, but it felt stiff and forced. They took spinning out entirely. Underwater sections were just big empty areas with infinite jumps instead of dangerous platforming areas (Hydrocity is king). Autorun sections are still terrible (Starlight Carnival Act 1).

I can agree with this. I remember being in awestruck of Starlight Carnival the first time I played it. But when I went back to it, I found to be an absolute drag. I remember someone in this thread mentioned that the platforming in Sonic Colors felt similar to the NES Megaman titles, and that true in some aspects. I do like what they did with the underwater sections, considering how big they made them, but I hope that Classic Sonic is similar to that of the older games and Modern Sonic still has the multiple jumps ability.

RagnarokX

Afrocentric-Asian said:
You have to remember that Yuji Naka left the game early on in its development, which resulted in a complete rehaul of the original intentions of Sonic 2006. Plus, Sonic 2006 was reported to have had various problems prior to its release, but as fans we (or at least I did) shrugged it off thinking that it would get ironed out. This game has had a longer development time than Sonic '06, and judging by the quality of Sonic Unleashed I'm willing to give this game the benefit of the doubt.
I was referring to comments like this from the official Sonic 06 thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4846387&postcount=19

This was even after the demo! :p

G0523

AwakenedCloud said:

BlueBubblesGame.jpg

I still have this! Never really used it so there's still soap inside. Lol. I also loved the Game Gear gum. I still have the cards! Lol.

This is my favorite Sonic item though:
3SonicPastas.jpg

I loved this so much! I was pretty bummed out when they were discontinued.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Kulock said:
I love the commercial for them. It's so "fuck yeah, 90s":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh0V68c1ybw

PRO 1-HANDED GAMEPLAY
I remember that commercial... the Genesis add-on for the can, lol. So 90s, indeed. I actually remember this Honey Nut Cheerios commercial too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhlnCfN5sEY

And I had these McDonald's toys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhlnCfN5sEY. I still have them around, near my Final Fantasy VII figures, heh.

Sonic was everywhere in the 1990s.

Slightly OT, but I remember Mario macaroni! It was the only kind of macaroni I'd ever eat as a kid. I was so disappointed when they stopped making them. I had to eat boring regular macaroni instead.

Dark Schala said:
Slightly OT, but I remember Mario macaroni! It was the only kind of macaroni I'd ever eat as a kid. I was so disappointed when they stopped making them. I had to eat boring regular macaroni instead.
I got to eat the Mario cereal. *smug*

KevinCow

Banned
Dark Schala said:

The shapes macaroni always tastes better for some reason. I think the cheese has more cracks to get stuck in.

Articalys

The first U.S. Sonic Community event (not counting that Ep. 1 feedback thing), and it's going to be in LA during E3. Figures.

Be A Part of “Sonic Boom:” The First U.S. Community Event

Sega Blog

Today SEGA is proud to announce our very first US Sonic Community event: Sonic Boom!

Sonic Boom is a Community focused event where we invite you, our fans, to join us and be among the first people in the world to play Sonic Generations! On top of that, we’ll be celebrating Sonic’s 20th birthday with special guests, musical performances, and some other way past cool surprises!

Check out all the details in the invitation below!

Play Sonic Generations and Celebrate Sonic’s 20th Birthday!

Wednesday, June 8th

6:00 PM – 10:00PM

Where: Club Nokia

800 West Olmypic Blvd # 335

Los Angeles, CA

Calling all Sonic fans! Come join us at Sonic Boom, the first major US Sonic Community event, to celebrate Sonic’s 20th Birthday!

* Be among the first fans to play Sonic Generations!

* Special Sonic guests and performances!

* Get exclusive Generations collector’s merchandise!

* Come as your favorite Sonic character and you could win extra prizes!

Attendance is FREE and this party, just like Generations, is for all ages! But space is limited, so make sure to reserve your spot fast!

Stay way past cool this summer at one of the biggest Sonic events in history – find out how to reserve your ticket today, and all the latest event news, at sega.com/sonicboom!

As of right now, we are listing our first 500 passes up for immediate reservation! The passes are first-come, first-served, so be sure to grab yours before they’re all gone! You can reserve a pass right now at the link below:

Reserve my pass!

This is just the beginning of a fantastic celebration of Sonic Generations and Sonic’s 20th Anniversary, so stay tuned for many more surprises about Sonic Boom soon – you won’t want to miss it!

Edit: Ah, shit then... well, do you want to edit the details into your post or something?

G0523 said:
I still have this! Never really used it so there's still soap inside. Lol. I also loved the Game Gear gum. I still have the cards! Lol.

This is my favorite Sonic item though:
3SonicPastas.jpg

I loved this so much! I was pretty bummed out when they were discontinued.
Wow. I used to love these :)

Top Bottom