• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations Announced [PS3 / XBOX 360 / PC / 3DS] - No Wii Version Official

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
* Be among the first fans to play Sonic Generations!
Oooh, that's good!

* Special Sonic guests and performances!
That's bad. (your mileage may vary depending on who's there, of course)

* Get exclusive Generations collector’s merchandise!
That's good.

* Come as your favorite Sonic character and you could win extra prizes!
That's bad. OH THE HORROR. I can only imagine how terrible the end result of this can be...

Well, if anyone goes, let us know how the event is... and especially how it plays (ie: floaty jumping, platforming, coming uncurled, etc).

TheOGB

Banned
Dark Schala said:
Oooh, that's good!

That's bad. (your mileage may vary depending on who's there, of course)

That's good.

That's bad. OH THE HORROR.
This reminds me of that one Pokemon movie where James says this kinda

SykoTech

They want feedback from fans, hence why they're doing this Community Day thing in June. Releasing Generations in June wouldn't give them enough time to properly address any complaints. Besides, most major Sonic games release in the Fall anyway (Sonic '06, Unleashed, Colors, etc.).

Sciz

GoldandBlue said:
Yeah that's kinda surprising. Sonic games have usually been Summer releases.
what

The last major Sonic game to be a summer release was SA2. The last one before that was Sonic 1.

nns3d

GoldandBlue said:
Yeah that's kinda surprising. Sonic games have usually been Summer releases.

All major Sonic games from this generation have had a fall release, so the November date isn't too surprising. It's better than having them rush this game for a June release.

qq more

Calling all Sonic fans! Come join us at Sonic Boom, the first major US Sonic Community event, to celebrate Sonic’s 20th Birthday!

So basically:

"CALLING ALL SONIC FANS, YOU GET TO PLAY OUR UPCOMING MAJOR GAME IN THIS FANTASTIC EVENT TO CELEBRATE SONIC'S 20TH ANNIVERSARY.

ps bring a fursuit"

gj sega

Glix

SykoTech said:
They want feedback from fans, hence why they're doing this Community Day thing in June. Releasing Generations in June wouldn't give them enough time to properly address any complaints. Besides, most major Sonic games release in the Fall anyway (Sonic '06, Unleashed, Colors, etc.).

The more I think about it, and the more I see MML3, I think that listening to the community is usually a bad idea.

DeVeAn said:
Got an email from amazon game has a release date of Nov. 29 2011. Why not a summer release damnit.
4 month delay to fix problems which are not the real problems and still release a shitty game *cough* sonic 4 *cough*

SykoTech

Glix said:
The more I think about it, and the more I see MML3, I think that listening to the community is usually a bad idea.

I think listening too much to the fans can be a dangerous thing too, and usually feel it's best for developers to make their decisions. Especially given how insane the Sonic fanbase can be. However, Sonic Team hasn't exactly proven themselves trustworthy when it comes to making their own choices (lol Black Knight), so maybe they're better off this way.

Besides, I'm sure most of the request will be very predictable. "Wah wah, hot-keyed Spin Dash, wah wah, make my favorite character playable, wah wah GREEN EYES!"

Green Scar said:
but you never see them
for good reason

knuckles_gloveless__by_landina-d39k8ho.png

DeVeAn

SykoTech said:
I totally understand that and I know they usually do Nov. BUT, coinciding with the actual 20th anniversary would have been cool.

goldenpp72 said:
America is really sensitive to nipples, so of course we don't get to see under his gloves.

I'm sure it's been in the Archie comic at some point, but in terms of Sega, I wonder if they ever decided for sure if the spikes were just on his gloves, or part of his hands.

The thing that bugged me was when I saw this, and it is official art:

(Click for bigger)

What the hell is with Amy's paddle feet?

Calling all Sonic fans! Come join us at Sonic Boom, the first major US Sonic Community event, to celebrate Sonic’s 20th Birthday!

aH5rR.gif

It would suck to be a hardcore Sonic merchandise collector. If you ever came across those ice creams again or those soup cans...how would you "preserve" them and put them on display at the same time?

Honestly I see this feedback session working out better than Sonic 4's supposedly (but probably not) fan-driven development. I mean, stuff like the hot buttoned spin dash (the main issue I'm seeing for Classic Sonic) is lightyears away from the criticisms fans had already managed to bring up from only seeing 3-seconds of footage for Sonic 4 (not that by the time the game released those complaints were more often then not fully justified).

Interesting in that interview they found converting 3D levels to 2D harder than the opposite. How many levels in Sonic Adventure and onwards have been centered around gimmicks that were made with three-dimensions in mind? I can only think of the truck in City Escape, and that could easily be replicated in 2D (as it probably will be). Either way, while I'll probably prefer classic Sonic, I'm looking forward to see how the classic stages play in three-dimensions with modern Sonic.

Glix

Kulock said:
I'm sure it's been in the Archie comic at some point, but in terms of Sega, I wonder if they ever decided for sure if the spikes were just on his gloves, or part of his hands.

(Click for bigger)

Posting ANY pics in a Sonic thread is a dangerous, dangerous idea.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Speaking of dressing up and nostalgic Sonic merchandise...

I remember for Halloween (back when I was, like, five, so spare me!) I got this extremely cheap Sonic costume...it was just half a Sonic-mask (so it was basically just his eyebrows and ears) with a white t-shirt with a picture of Sonic running along Green Hill Zone.

In retrospect, I'm glad that the cheapness of that costume disheartened me so much that I never dressed up as Sonic again. 0.o

TheOGB

Banned
DeVeAn said:
Crap just barely realized there is a Sonic BOOM party LOL. Eh, I'll go 2 hr drive aint bad.
We need exactly ONE person dressed up as Guile trolling the whole thing to make it awesome.

Firestorm

Dark Schala said:
RW52K.jpg

Mind you, when I used to get these from the ice cream truck, they had black eyes instead of green (it was the early-to-mid 1990s, after all). And I think the eyes were always, always off-kilter. They tasted gooooooooooood. I miss having them. Not sure where you can find them in Canada at all. :(
Holy crap they changed them to green? And no, it's still around. I know the ice cream trucks I've seen around the beaches in Vancouver still have them. And I saw it on the poster outside some shop with ice cream downtown Toronto just last weekend.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
TheOGB said:
This reminds me of that one Pokemon movie where James says this kinda
Meowth, that's half-right! The other half came from the Simpsons episode with the Krusty doll and cursed frogurt and potassium benzoate.

Firestorm said:
Holy crap they changed them to green? And no, it's still around. I know the ice cream trucks I've seen around the beaches in Vancouver still have them. And I saw it on the poster outside some shop with ice cream downtown Toronto just last weekend.
Oh really? I'll have to do some hunting in Toronto, then! I don't eat a lot of ice cream, but I've been craving one of those Sonic ice creams since it got warm around here.

DeVeAn said:
I totally understand that and I know they usually do Nov. BUT, coinciding with the actual 20th anniversary would have been cool.
Perhaps they'll give us a downloadable version of the demo that they're showcasing at their event to coincide with Sonic's 20th Anniversary? (This is me being incredibly optimistic, however.) I think this Community Event might be a good thing, but if they listen to the fans TOO much, it could spell disaster.

RobbieNick

Kulock said:

(Click for bigger)

I've seen one with Tails bare feet as well. They officially don't have toes. They do in the comic cannon, but in the official games, no toes. Weird.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Professor Beef said:
Why is Amy in a bikini
Why the fuck is she in a bikini
Why...why...WHY IS SUCH A THING EXISTING
The worst part about that is that I never noticed that she was in a bikini. I thought she was fully clothed under the towel.

The hilarious part is that it's official art!

Edit: I miss this kind of official art. Sonic looks annoyed.
ra04R.png

Professor Beef said:
I think you're underreacting.

Oh, wait, you're right. I guess I should be concerned more about the clothing choices of Sonic characters...

Tails_pose_10.jpg

OH GOD, Where are his pants? He can't just trot around like that... FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS DECENT.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
ShadiWulf said:
amazing screenshot
http://bit.ly/lDsteX

i'm not embedding it cause you don't see the awesomeness unless it's at its full size.
That looks ridiculously nice. I hope it stays that way in the final version. It probably won't.

But look at that huge scale and the backgrounds. I like the water. Gorgeous.

I really need to see this in full motion (outside of gameplay snippets in an interview) and feel it myself before getting more hyped for it.

Top Bottom