• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations Announced [PS3 / XBOX 360 / PC / 3DS] - No Wii Version Official

Yagharek

KevinCow said:
It's not a puzzle. It wasn't intended to be a puzzle. It was just shit game design.

And sure, if you stand there and press every button on the pad, you'll figure it out. But that's not what most people did, as I explained in the rest of the post you quoted but apparently ignored. Most people saw that jumping - their primary means of interacting with everything else in the entire series up to that point - had a noticeable effect on the barrel, and spent their time trying to jump on it the right way to get by. And they'd almost get it, so they figured they were on the right track and kept trying.

No, it doesn't excuse it from being shit game design just because some people figured it out.

I read your post, dont jump to conclusions.

I just fail to see what the problem with the barrel is. I seem to remember it posing a minor trouble, but nothing to warrant turning the game off. I had more trouble with the random pinball bumpers spread throughout the level.

From rough memory, I figured it out when jumping did a little bit, then I tried doing a crouch spin. Then that made the barrel descend further. Trial and error perhaps. Obscure and worth quitting? Please.

Along with S&K, S3 is my favourite sonic game. But there's no doubt that was an awful puzzle.

I spent ages looking for alternate paths that didn't have the barrel. There had been nothing to suggest simply holding up or down would have any kind of impact, thematically, or (given the gamepay up to that point) logically.

Did any of you guys throw up your hands in dispair when those elevator cranks in S3&K appeared in the first level? You have to keep pressing down after hanging off of them to elevate yourself to a higher platform.

Upsidedown Fuji said:
Did any of you guys throw up your hands in dispair when those elevator cranks in S3&K appeared in the first level? You have to keep pressing down after hanging off of them to elevate yourself to a higher platform.
At most, I mashed the dpad for about 2 seconds until I realized that hitting down was the way to go. That's nothing like the barrel, since the pulley was more obvious and less obstructive.

I thought you said you were leaving the topic alone?

RagnarokX

Upsidedown Fuji said:
The ones that show up AFTER the barrel and are very obviously a pulley system?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
THAT BARREL IS TEARING US APART. :(

Sonic_3_-_Barrel.PNG

2przbckjpg.gif

See you in hell, barrel!

Upsidedown Fuji said:
Naw, that was pretty logical for me. There was a handle, pull down or up and see if the crank goes up. Its mechanics were far more obvious than the barrel.

GenericUser

i actually managed to get past the barrels without pressing up and down and without the bubble shield. I asked my friend to take control of tails and we timed our jumping on the barrel so, that we we could get past it. It was a 1 out of 1000 chance, but we managed it.

you dont know what a relief it was to finally see the ice cap zone in the save/load menu. Years later i figured out how the barrels are supposed to work and i immediately had to try it out, because i could not believe that you really had to push up and down. This makes no sense at all, not then, not today.

I didn't come out of Sonic games unscathed. I had my own barrel moment in Sonic 1. I used to suck hard at the Labyrinth Zone. It took me a while to figure out how to break the endless waterslide and I never could seem to jump fast enough to stay ahead of the water at the end of the level. But damn I loved the design and music for that level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlxsUgpS3nU

TheOGB

Banned
Most people don't think to press up and down to control something in game because you're four zones into the game - two games and four zones into the series - and you haven't once been conditioned to use up and down on the d-pad to interact with the world. You've pretty much just done three things throughout the whole series: run, jump, or spindash.

Then you get to this barrel, and it suddenly asks you to use up - which can make Sonic look up, but in practice nobody ever actually uses - and down - which you only use if you want to start going fast or turn your already fast speed into an attack, so isn't really the first thing you think of when you have a wall in front of you. So the player tries the primary tool in his arsenal: jumping. And he sees how it has a clear effect on the barrel, and in fact comes so close to working, it's easy for him to figure that he's just not quite doing it right and keep on trying.

"HURR BUT I GOT IT ON MY FIRST TRY, IT'S SO EASY, HOW DID PEOPLE GET STUCK LOL"

Well, you know, good for you. Your brain managed to match up with the designer's brain at that moment. You got lucky, the same way I'm sure someone out there figured out the goddamn mouse in King's Quest 2 on their first playthrough. That doesn't change the fact that it's an extremely unintuitive element that many people got stuck on.

If it was just one person complaining about something, then yeah, maybe it's that one player's fault. If it's two, three, four, five people, well you're starting to get a potentially legitimate issue. When it's the majority of the people who played the game and got that far, then it's pretty fucking clearly the game's fault.
This. -_-

sponk said:
i actually managed to get past the barrels without pressing up and down and without the bubble shield. I asked my friend to take control of tails and we timed our jumping on the barrel so, that we we could get past it. It was a 1 out of 1000 chance, but we managed it.

you dont know what a relief it was to finally see the ice cap zone in the save/load menu. Years later i figured out how the barrels are supposed to work and i immediately had to try it out, because i could not believe that you really had to push up and down. This makes no sense at all, not then, not today.
I have done that once in my entire life. That was probably the first time I legitimately got past that barrel.

However at that point, time was pretty much up so yeah

The barrel would be easier if you ever used the Up button for any legitimate purpose in the game.

I think that's what tricked people, that and jumping not doing anything (you'd think that jumping on it would send it down farther)

I heard they brought them back in Shadow which I find hilarious, even if they didn't function the same.

Firestorm

Upsidedown Fuji said:
I just don't remember this being a big topic on the schoolyard when I was a kid. I'll leave this topic alone. I look like a smug bastard now.

Anyhow, there's still nothing new to discuss about Generations yet?
This is literally the very first thing I remember ever having to ask for help from a friend on at school. It was the summer after kindergarten. I remember it to this day. I am 23 now.

nns3d

Regulus Tera said:
Wasn't the point of making Shadow the Hedgehog to make a game darker and grittier?

That looks so... goofy.

There's alot of goofy/out of character stuff in this game lol.

Firestorm said:
This is literally the very first thing I remember ever having to ask for help from a friend on at school. It was the summer after kindergarten. I remember it to this day. I am 23 now.

I was in 5th or 6th grade by that time. Maybe slightly older kids got it a little faster or they just didn't want to show weakness infront of others to avoid a bloodbath of ridicule. :D Nah, it was probably more we were interested in Star Trek the Next Generation and Aliens.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
TheCongressman1 said:
I haven't seen this shot around before. Just a nice close up of Classic.

b8db71eb4d954963a378868.png

I'm really enjoying this model. Looks good all around to me.
It's adorable. I want a plushie version to go with my Tails, Yoshi and Toon Link plushies.

The unfortunate part is that someone, somewhere, is going to find something wrong with Classic Sonic's design.

Dark Schala said:
It's adorable. I want a plushie version to go with my Tails, Yoshi and Toon Link plushies.

The unfortunate part is that someone, somewhere, is going to find something wrong with Classic Sonic's design.
If I had a Sonic plush like that, I might be tempted to take it everywhere with me. :3

Teknoman

TheCongressman1 said:
I haven't seen this shot around before. Just a nice close up of Classic.

b8db71eb4d954963a378868.png

I'm really enjoying this model. Looks good all around to me.

Edit:

I think I found more proof for you.. Hmmm...

Damn that is an awesome model for Sonic. Wish that was the visual upgrade for his first step into 3D. I dont really have a problem with modern Sonic...but that really looks like the best way to go.

nns3d

SidVicious said:
Hmm, I don't think I ever got this level. Precursor to Sonic Colors?

This level exists, it just depends on what path you take in the game.

TheCongressman1 said:

095knuckles.jpg

Anyway, the classic model looks great, does SEGA have any intentions on using Classic Sonic post-Sonic Generations?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Afrocentric-Asian said:
Anyway, the classic model looks great, does SEGA have any intentions on using Classic Sonic post-Sonic Generations?
If it's possible, I think they should use it for other games--something like a "Classic Sonic" spinoff (series). Don't let that model sit around after this game, because some people seem to like it a lot.

Of course, I don't know if that's financially practical for SEGA.

To be honest I can see them flat out reusing the classic designs for any further episodes (whether we like it or not, they're probably getting made) of Sonic 4, whether as an option or as downloadable DLC.

I mean, it's the game that started the more outspoken hate towards the modern Sonic. If feedback to episode 1 dictated how things were handled in Generations, it'd be weird if feedback to Generations wouldn't affect how Episode 2 is made (unless the episodes really are as low-budget as I have a feeling they may of been).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Astrosanity said:
To be honest I can see them flat out reusing the classic designs for any further episodes (whether we like it or not, they're probably getting made) of Sonic 4, whether as an option or as downloadable DLC.

I mean, it's the game that started the more outspoken hate towards the modern Sonic. If feedback to episode 1 dictated how things were handled in Generations, it'd be weird if feedback to Generations wouldn't affect how Episode 2 is made (unless the episodes really are as low-budget as I have a feeling they may of been).
I think Sonic 4: Episode II is already being developed. I think they could probably use Classic Sonic as a DLC skin, sure, if they're going to take the feedback for Sonic Generations to heart.

Anyay, Modern Sonic makes a stupid-looking plushie.
rE9r6.jpg

nns3d

Dark Schala said:
If it's possible, I think they should use it for other games--something like a "Classic Sonic" spinoff (series). Don't let that model sit around after this game, because some people seem to like it a lot.

Of course, I don't know if that's financially practical for SEGA.

I hope so, while I don't want them to abandon Sonic's modern design I would like for them to interchange between the classic and modern.

Kinda OT, but does anyone rock any Sonic apparel? I found this shirt some months back...

41Ghns3JT-L._SY445_.jpg

Sucks that they don't sell it nowadays.

Afrocentric-Asian said:
I hope so, while I don't want them to abandon Sonic's modern design I would like for them to interchange between the classic and modern.

Kinda OT, but does anyone rock any Sonic apparel? I found this shirt some months back...

Sucks that they don't sell it nowadays.

I would kind of be relieved if they dropped modern completely. Eh, as long as they use Classic as well, I'm happy.

Now, about the apparel. I would love to rock Sonic stuff, but I can't find anything good in stores around here. If you guys have some stuff from a reliable online retailer, that would be nice.

Your and Our friend said:
That fat bastard...What a fucker! What was all that crap about "Looks not like Sonic" about modern Sonic?!
HOW DARE YOU MAKE FUN OF SONIC

I was honestly expecting something worse then the host saying a couple times in passing he didn't like Modern Sonic (with all the emotion and passion I'd associate with someone talking in their sleep) for your extreme overreaction. I'd understand if he was foaming at the mouth or trying to belittle Webber but... He honestly just calls Modern Sonic 'not Sonic' one or two times. Seriously.

Starting to get impatient with only seeing Green Hill Zone. We already know Chemical Plant and City Escape's in this game SEGA, show off that stuff!

Tizoc

Wow...Classic Sonic looks quite chubby...I've noticed it in his 3D Blast model, but thought that it was just due to the graphical limitions at the time.
...but...wow.
Still hyped though and would love to have a Classic Sonic plushie X3.
Speaking of which, if it's OK to ask, where would one be able to purchase Sonic series plushies in the UK?

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
What the holy fuck is this abomination

41yd1cb0-lL._SS500_.jpg

Anyhow, since I finished S3&K again just the other day (with all chaos and super emeralds, huzzah!), I decided to play Sonic 4 again to see how it compared. And wow, it's like night and day. S3&K is still such a great game, while Sonic 4 is just plain bad. Bad level design, bad music, bad character models, bad graphics, bad boss designs, everything is just bad bad bad. It's almost hilarious to see how much Sega's fucked up their premier franchise.

xprs22

Neo Member
Green Scar said:
Someone needs to calm down, methinks. He only said what pretty much everyone thinks.

And how is the "everyone" being proven? Cant possibly be based of game sales because Unleashed bested 3.5 million. Both gameplay styles are equally competent so I love them. That guy probably just hates Modern Sonic because he sucks at playing it.

xprs22 said:
And how is the "everyone" being proven? Cant possibly be based of game sales because Unleashed bested 3.5 million. Both gameplay styles are equally competent so I love them. That guy probably just hates Modern Sonic because he sucks at playing it.

Both gameplay styles are good, I'm just talking character design. And in terms of design, Classic Sonic is far more loved.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
xprs22 said:
New interview with Webber...That damn host is a Cunt Bastard. He really shouldn't have been so disrespectful. If this guy is a reflection of the future, we know what to expect from Gamestop's review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpA3_-Jn4ss&feature=player_embedded
haha, he kept refusing to even call him "Modern Sonic." Dude couldn't help but keep it real.

Poor ruby, suffering for Sega's sins.

SykoTech

If the GameSpot reviewer is anything like that host, they are going to completely slam the Modern side of things just because of his look alone. I guess that sounds about right when it comes to "professional reviews" these days.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Nocturnowl said:
Got to make money with those Sega hotlines somehow.

Me and my brother actually called that hotline for them to tell us how to get past the barrel.

They didn't tell us.

Top Bottom