• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations Announced [PS3 / XBOX 360 / PC / 3DS] - No Wii Version Official

OMG Aero said:
How is Silver even still in the Sonic games?
Wasn't he from a future that was erased at the end of that horrible game?

Time Travel is magic code for "We don't have to explain anything".

Technically Silver should have paradoxed himself out of existence moment he stopped trying to kill Sonic. Or, you know, never existed to begin with.

I would definitely prefer it if they would acknowledge that Silver should logically never exist, though, but I guess a lot of kids like him for whatever reason. Same reason Shadow never stayed dead.

Combichristoffersen said:
*snip*

So, about 40 characters I recognize
Filling in some of the blanks:
Line 2 - Heavy (Chaotix)
Line 3 - Ray the Squirrel (Segasonic Arcade)
Line 4 - E-102 Gamma (Adventure 1)
Line 5 - Vanilla... or whatever Cream's mother is called (Advance 2)
Line 6 - E-123 Omega (Heroes), Cheese (Advance 2), Emerl (Battle), Gemerl (Advance 3)
Line 7 - Omochao (Adventure 2), Jet (Riders), Storm (Riders), Wave (Riders)
Line 8 - Marine (Rush Adventure)
Line 9 - Void (Shuffle)
Line 10 - Merlina (Black Knight)
Line 11 - Shade (Chronicles), Ix (Chronicles)
Line 12 - Lumina (Shuffle), Chocola (Heroes)

And even I'm stumped on the rest of that lineup of jerks, misfits and losers. No wonder people are constantly screaming each time they see a new character, 90% of those are terrible.

Sega1991 said:

Technically Silver should have paradoxed himself out of existence moment he stopped trying to kill Sonic. Or, you know, never existed to begin with.

I would definitely prefer it if they would acknowledge that Silver should logically never exist, though, but I guess a lot of kids like him for whatever reason. Same reason Shadow never stayed dead.
Yeah, my eight year old nephew thinks Silver's a cool character and he never even played '06. I can see how Shadow's so popular with the whole anti-hero archetype and all, but... What niche does Silver fill? Aside from psychic time traveling plothole.

It's weird the way Sega handled Silver. They gave him Blaze as a sidekick despite her already having her own world and backstory beforehand, then after that clusterfuck of a game erased itself they reintroduced him with a different backstory in Sonic Rivals. Then they went ahead and gave Eggman Nega the Blaze treatment and shoehorned him in as a villain from the future. But the Rivals series never made it to Japan, and so they never really acknowledged Silver or the plotholes he brought with him outside of saying in an interview that Nega was officially from another dimension and they only made him from the future in Rivals to introduce the card mechanic. Silver was only really a cameo character in multiplayer games after that until they brought him back in Colors DS, where Sonic knows him and is on completely friendly terms with him already. So I guess when it comes Silver their official stance is just "he's one of Sonic's Shitty Friends and he's from the future."

Hitlersaurus Christ said:
Yeah, my eight year old nephew thinks Silver's a cool character and he never even played '06. I can see how Shadow's so popular with the whole anti-hero archetype and all, but... What niche does Silver fill? Aside from psychic time traveling plothole.

Silver is a collection of ideas that kids probably think are "cool". Sort of like the Werehog - we think the idea of Sonic transforming in to a werewolf is stupid as hell, and completely unfitting for his character. But to a 9 year old, that shit's rad as hell.

For starters, time travel is an inherently cool idea, and something that seems to crop up in children's entertainment more than anywhere else. Just the fact that Silver is a time traveler is probably enough, but there are other elements about him that go beyond just this simple fact.

The future he comes from is a ruined dystopia. This is another idea that kids probably find appealing - especially given that though we see how absolutely thrashed Crisis City is, we never actually see anything genuinely morbid; the game conveniently avoids drawing attention to how anybody actually survived this cataclysm. All we see are Silver and Blaze as the only surviving people of that era. That makes that environment more cool and awesome than it is depressing. It theoretically provides a source of constant action and engagement while simultaneously showing the viewer something familiar but very, very different.

On top of that, Silver has telekinesis. That in itself suggests all sorts of weird things about the future itself, but it's also another one of those ideas that kids find inherently cool, and it seems/seemed to come up a lot in anime.

That being said, I'd expect Silver's cameo in Colors DS to be pretty non-canon and strictly silly fanservice, but there's been a hint that Crisis City might make its way in to Generations - most likely with Silver in tow. Even if Crisis City itself did not specifically make an appearance, Generations is fanservice on overdrive, so Silver will probably end up poking his head out somewhere.

JMizzlin

Bought Sonic 4 a few weeks ago and decided to finish it tonight, considering I've never finished a Sonic game before.

Fucking final boss. Biggest piece of shit. 3 rings at final checkpoint? Yeah, good one.

Sega1991 said:
That being said, I'd expect Silver's cameo in Colors DS to be pretty non-canon and strictly silly fanservice, but there's been a hint that Crisis City might make its way in to Generations - most likely with Silver in tow. Even if Crisis City itself did not specifically make an appearance, Generations is fanservice on overdrive, so Silver will probably end up poking his head out somewhere.
Yeah, I'm sure he'll at least be in a cutscene. With the franchise having a far less serious tone nowadays, I wonder exactly how they'll handle it.
Eye Drop said:
Bought Sonic 4 a few weeks ago and decided to finish it tonight, considering I've never finished a Sonic game before.

Fucking final boss. Biggest piece of shit. 3 rings at final checkpoint? Yeah, good one.
You realize none of the other Sonics had rings in their final boss acts, right? Sonic 4's takes a bit to beat but it's far more forgiving than the other ones.
I have never beaten Sonic 2's Death Egg Zone without cheating

Eye Drop said:

The last boss is rather cool in sonic 4, a remix of sonic 2's but easier, be glad you get 3 rings :p

Only annoying shit he does is
surprise floor crumble which auto kills sonic in a pit if you have no idea what is going on
sounds good for someone who knows what to do but I bet most people on their first boss encounter became angry with that move.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Hitlersaurus Christ said:
You realize none of the other Sonics had rings in their final boss acts, right? Sonic 4's takes a bit to beat but it's far more forgiving than the other ones.
I have never beaten Sonic 2's Death Egg Zone without cheating

S3&K lets you keep your rings at the final boss. And Sonic 2's final boss is almost disappointingly easy. I find Mecha Sonic/Silver Sonic to be harder than the final boss, actually.

As for the final boss in Sonic 4, he's a piece of shit and takes a ridiculous amount of hits. I still haven't beaten him.

Diablohead said:
If you want to go by classic boss rules then act bosses take 8 hits final boss takes 9, went right out the window with sonic 4 along with a ton of other stuff :p

I think Sonic 2's final boss took 12 hits to beat, actually. I tried counting how many times I hit Sonic 4's final boss, and I think I got to something like 20 hits before I died. Shitsucks.

If you want to go by classic boss rules then act bosses take 8 hits final boss takes 9, went right out the window with sonic 4 along with a ton of other stuff :p

Anth0ny

S3&K lets you keep your rings at the final boss. And Sonic 2's final boss is almost disappointingly easy. I find Mecha Sonic/Silver Sonic to be harder than the final boss, actually.

As for the final boss in Sonic 4, he's a piece of shit and takes a ridiculous amount of hits. I still haven't beaten him.

I think Sonic 2's final boss took 12 hits to beat, actually. I tried counting how many times I hit Sonic 4's final boss, and I think I got to something like 20 hits before I died. Shitsucks.

I thought Sonic 4's final boss was definitely the harder than Sonic 1-3. The 20 or so hits he took was ridiculous.

Eye Drop said:

What you need to do is go for this achievement here:

18CRD.png

Took me maybe about an hour, but was so satisfying when I pulled it off.

Combichristoffersen

Oh sweet, I found a cheap copy of the PS2 version of Sonic Gems Collection online and ordered it. Mostly because I want to be able to play Sonic CD again, even though I don't like the game very much at all.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sega 1991 said:
On top of that, Silver has telekinesis. That in itself suggests all sorts of weird things about the future itself, but it's also another one of those ideas that kids find inherently cool, and it seems/seemed to come up a lot in anime.
Yep, that's one of the reasons why a few of the kids I tutored liked Silver a lot. Right next to Shadow.

Sonic-GAF. I had a really shitty day and I'm feeling all sorts of bad/sad right now. So I'm playing bits of Sonic Classics Collection to get my mind off of things.

Which Sonic game would you play if you were having a crappy day?

Combichristoffersen

Dark Schala said:
Sonic-GAF. I had a really shitty day and I'm feeling all sorts of bad/sad right now. So I'm playing bits of Sonic Classics Collection to get my mind off of things.

Sonic 2, with Sonic + Tails, because then I could take out all my misery on Tails and kill him over and over again, and gleefully have him drown, impaled on spikes or falling down bottomless holes :3

Sonic 2, with Sonic + Tails, because then I could take out all my misery on Tails and kill him over and over again, and gleefully have him drown, impaled on spikes or falling down bottomless holes :3

The BEST part of any Sonic game.

Dark Schala said:

Sonic 3 + Knuckles with a full set of Super Emeralds. Blazing through shit used to be my "cheer myself up" medicine.

He normally screws you more than you can kill him though. D:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Dark Schala said:
Yep, that's one of the reasons why a few of the kids I tutored liked Silver a lot. Right next to Shadow.

Sonic 2 if I have enough time to complete it. If it's just a few hours, it's usually Sonic Adventure 2, a few rounds of City Escape can do wonders ;).

LevelNth

Banned
Am I the only one who prefers the Sonic 4 aesthetic to the Classic stuff in Generations?

Now, please, before I am immediately murdered, I love both, and I'm not saying one is bad, just that if I had to choose, I like Sonic 4 more so. Maybe it's the full polygonal aspect of Generations, I'm not sure. Thankfully I have both, which is always better than one or the other.

I've never totally hated Sonic's redesign though, maybe that's it.

nns3d

LevelNth said:
Am I the only one who prefers the Sonic 4 aesthetic to the Classic stuff in Generations?

Now, please, before I am immediately murdered, I love both, and I'm not saying one is bad, just that if I had to choose, I like Sonic 4 more so. Maybe it's the full polygonal aspect of Generations, I'm not sure. Thankfully I have both, which is always better than one or the other.

I think SG's Green Hill Zone might be the best interpretation of the zone. I don't think Sonic 4's version is bad, but I know alot of old school fans here have their own nitpicks on why it's a horrible looking zone.

TheOGB

Banned
I recognize every shitty and less-shitty friend in that picture.
And I feel little remorse for it. ._.

Generations 3DS and PC is pretty fucking hype, can't wait to buy the
superior looking/performing, but ultimately gimped (if S&SASR is any indication)
master race version on Steam.

This shit better be on Steam.

Lijik

LevelNth said:

I don't for a multitude of visual design reasons. Not even from a Modern Sonic Design is bad standpoint.

The game doesn't animate well, its visual assets looked like it was hodgepodged by three teams each with their own differing vision of what the game should look like each one half baked (actually I'll throw the HUD a bone, it looks fine. The characters and scenery don't).

Generations is more visually consistent, has better animation, and a more appealing style so I prefer that. Colors too, but you were just talking about the classic stuff.

Oh sweet, I found a cheap copy of the PS2 version of Sonic Gems Collection online and ordered it. Mostly because I want to be able to play Sonic CD again, even though I don't like the game very much at all.
Sonic CD has this weird quality to it. It wasn't terribly good for a classic Sonic game, but I have found myself going back and beating it a few times. It probably feels unfamiliar enough that I can convince myself its a new classic Sonic game every few years or so.

Lijik said:
I don't for a multitude of visual design reasons. Not even from a Modern Sonic Design is bad standpoint.

The game doesn't animate well, its visual assets looked like it was hodgepodged by three teams each with their own differing vision of what the game should look like each one half baked (actually I'll throw the HUD a bone, it looks fine. The characters and scenery don't).

I don't think it looked that bad, but it does have some issues. I think the main problem is that everything looks like plastic. Then there are other things like Robotnik is smaller than Sonic, and that the animation is horrible. The looks are the only thing I can tolerate about this game.

This could have helped:
Sonic-4_New-vs-Old.jpg

That note's already gone again, I think it was just a moment of doubt on the poster's part.

Lijik said:
Wow! Sega is so on the ball they're releasing Cafe games a full year before the console comes out!

Buh? We don't even know when the Cafe is coming out, unless I've missed something the past few days. Just because Nintendo didn't include it on their financial statement for the year doesn't mean they can't revise it later with positive news.

Besides, even if the game's already been out for six months, or nine months, Nintendo fans are a pretty solid bread-and-butter for Sonic lately (weird world we live in now), I'm sure a port of Generations for launch would be extremely cost-effective.

But like I said, actual PC release makes more sense. Technically 2006 was first planned for a PC release as well. Shame, because fans could've actually fixed the game up to something tolerable.

Lijik

Kulock said:
Buh? We don't even know when the Cafe is coming out, unless I've missed something the past few days. Just because Nintendo didn't include it on their financial statement for the year doesn't mean they can't revise it later with positive news.

Besides, even if the game's already been out for six months, or nine months, Nintendo fans are a pretty solid bread-and-butter for Sonic lately (weird world we live in now), I'm sure a port of Generations for launch would be extremely cost-effective.

But like I said, actual PC release makes more sense. Technically 2006 was first planned for a PC release as well. Shame, because fans could've actually fixed the game up to something tolerable.
I could have sworn the first official word on it was "Its coming in 2012, we'll have more at E3"

I'd be all for Generations to release on Computer. The modding community could really do some magic with that, no doubt. The only thing keeping me interested in a Cafe release is because I would probably not be able to run it on my crappy comp...

Lijik said:
I could have sworn the first official word on it was "Its coming in 2012, we'll have more at E3"

Most estimates have Generations at November. Cafe would have to come out in late 2012 to be "a full year."

DeVeAn

How awesome if they release a PC version especially since I just built an awesome PC. Really think Sega will nail it this time around. Everything is looking to be going in the right direction since Sonic Colors.

Anth0ny

TheCongressman1 said:
I'd be all for Generations to release on Computer. The modding community could really do some magic with that, no doubt. The only thing keeping me interested in a Cafe release is because I would probably not be able to run it on my crappy comp...

shiiiiiiiiiiiit Sonic Retro is gonna have a field day with this if it comes out on PC!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
TheCongressman1 said:
That would be so fucking amazing. Think of the levels people can make that -aren't- in the game, if they can improve the physics, or overall goofiness people can come up with it. The "Classic Sonic-only" title.

Ahhh, if only I wasn't stuck with this old laptop. I can barely run SC2 on our Desktop. :(

Much better day today, thanks for the "Sonic Game for a Bad Day" input, guys.

Lijik

Kulock said:
Most estimates have Generations at November. Cafe would have to come out in late 2012 to be "a full year."
Now you're just having hang ups for the sake of having hang ups.
Point is, its not coming in 2011, Sonic Generations PC is dated for 2011, it can't stand for Project Cafe.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
If they were going to have a Cafe version (which I doubt, unless they want to release one next year after a strong anniversary year just for Project Cafe), wouldn't they just call it "Cafe" since the cat's out of the bag?

Using "PC" to be discreet about the platform doesn't exactly make a ton of sense since "PC" is an abbreviation for another platform. Generations PC is dated for "Winter in 2011" on the Sega Sammy report, isn't it?

Sega1991 said:

In all honesty, Silver redeemed himself in M&S2 by just seemingly being like the "new, spunky, competitive kid" in my opinion. Not all dramatic and shit like in '06.

Also, if Gens doesn't come out for the Cafe, I hope we get a Cafe-exclusive game that takes full-advantage of it (one or the other is pretty obvious actually). We're getting it on the 3DS so the Nintendo crowd isn't missing out.

Rlan

Silver is just terrible for his dumbass haircut.

Sonic-Free-Riders-Silver-artwork.png

The fuck is that? Also the continuation of the super weird "chest fur" thing. Why did they go away from the fur circle consistancy of Hedgehog? It's the damn echidnas that have the ring thing.

Top Bottom