• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations Announced [PS3 / XBOX 360 / PC / 3DS] - No Wii Version Official

xprs22

Neo Member
Nocturnowl said:
Not going to lie, I kind of like the design of Silver
's gloves

Me too. His design is nice, it's just the game he guest stars in that sucks. People, especially Classic Fanboys, have a hard time separating the two. Most of the character designs, excluding E102, Gamma, and Big, are very likable.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I played some Sonic 4 again (still as bad as ever), and finally managed to get to the end of the final boss fight...

..and then the floor crumbled and I died. Seriously, that's terrible game design right there. What are you supposed to do when Robotnik starts going apeshit and flies all around?

Combichristoffersen said:
..and then the floor crumbled and I died. Seriously, that's terrible game design right there. What are you supposed to do when Robotnik starts going apeshit and flies all around?
Complain on sega's blog, shout at Ruby, post about sleepless nights on gaf.

Jump as he is about to hit the floor so you avoid the stun, then homing attack him one last time.

xprs22

Neo Member
I played some Sonic 4 again (still as bad as ever), and finally managed to get to the end of the final boss fight...

Hate that game to death.

Combichristoffersen

Green Scar said:
You're supposed to stop playing.

I wish I could, but the masochist in me demands that I play the game :(

Diablohead said:
Jump as he is about to hit the floor so you avoid the stun, then homing attack him one last time.

Thanks. I'll give it another try this weekend.

xprs22

Neo Member

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Not understanding how most of the character designs can be hated on. The only problem I have is about 55% of them need to be on the enemy side of the board. The Sonic Universe has WAYYYYYYYYYY TOO MANY damn protagonist. If Shadow is supposed to be the vigilante villain/hero with his own prerogative, SEGA sure does a terrible job executing that theory.

Because Sonic is his own mum. Oh shit, did I spoiler the twist for Sonic '06 II?

Turns out, it's Elise! And Sonic's sister is also Elise.

And everyone is the Iblis Trigger. Except Sonic Man.

Rlan

Agreed. The worst thing is that the only other antagonist he's had in forever is... Eggman Nega. Which is Eggman wearing white from Blazes world in the Rush and Rivals games. I mean, seriously? That's what they came up with? It's the dumbest shit.

Tails at least had to deal with an Armada of Birds once. Any other antagonizing (The Babylon Rogues) seems just boring nowadays.

(I want to see Nack return though :p)

Combichristoffersen

Green Scar said:
Turns out, it's Elise! And Sonic's sister is also Elise.

And everyone is the Iblis Trigger. Except Sonic Man.

Modern Sonic went back in time and knocked up Elise, who gave birth to Classic Sonic, making Sonic his own father

I could actually see Sega use that as an actual plot point

.la1n

I wish I could, but the masochist in me demands that I play the game :(

Thanks. I'll give it another try this weekend.

fuck that boss and the game he's involved in.

Modern Sonic went back in time and knocked up Elise, who gave birth to Classic Sonic, making Sonic his own father

I could actually see Sega use that as an actual plot point

You want them to connect Sonic 2006 to the Mega Drive games? D:

I'm still waiting for them to come out and say that the two Sonics meeting up in Generations is a case of cross-dimensional travel. (With Sonicboy Prime punching a hole in reality that destroys the modern universe)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
You aren't really supposed to use imageshack for hosting on gaf...

Also, looking at that picture, I have to say I really just don't like the designs of the Rider Series, nor am I to fond of the Chaotix people.

Combichristoffersen

Green Scar said:
You want them to connect Sonic 2006 to the Mega Drive games? D:

I'm still waiting for them to come out and say that the two Sonics meeting up in Generations is a case of cross-dimensional travel. (With Sonicboy Prime punching a hole in reality that destroys the modern universe)

Lord, no. But I wouldn't put it behind Sega to come up with some asinine 'connection' between the Mega Drive games and Sonic 2006.

I think the latest Sega said about Generations was that it involved time travel, but I'd like to see how they'll explain why modern Sonic is lankier than classic Sonic, and why the eye colour differs :lol

xprs22 said:
Not understanding how most of the character designs can be hated on. The only problem I have is about 55% of them need to be on the enemy side of the board. The Sonic Universe has WAYYYYYYYYYY TOO MANY damn protagonist. If Shadow is supposed to be the vigilante villain/hero with his own prerogative, SEGA sure does a terrible job executing that theory.
the only characters in the picture that I outright dislike design wise are the riders birds (birds being mapped to the sonic template come off really odd with no wings, Storm is a bit better with his bulk) and Rouge is just.....weird, Shadow barely gets a pass for being a faker a Sonic would sa-*gets cut off by other dialogue*

I actually like Cream the rabbit, I used her out of choice in that Sonic RPG!, plus you can sit back and lob Cheese at the bosses of Sonic advance 2 & 3........ I'm so sorry.

Problem with the number of Sonic characters is up until Unleashed (and even then you had the Werehog) each character seemed to be competing with one another for screen and playtime in major Sonic which took away from an already strict development time for ST to properly flesh out anyone's gameplay. It'd of been far less of a deal (I think?) if they were introduced in a manner similar to those bird people in the airboarding games then the 'main' Sonic games where being able to play as Sonic's sentient, disembodied 3rd nipple was seen by SEGA to be a major selling-point.

Not to say I'd mind extra playable characters being used in a multiplayer or co-op mode in the newer games. May of already said this, but I thought it'd be a legitametly neat idea to be able to play online co-op with classic and modern Tails in this game. Maybe throw in Knuckles and Amy as well if you want to boost it up to 4 players. Surely it's not that irritating to people if it's a non-compulsory mode there for people who're at least curious to play as different characters, right?

The actual quality of the character-designs is mostly subjective and while I personally prefer Mario's expanded cast, it is admittedly a tad unfair to gripe about something like Amy cameoing in a recent Sonic game but ignoring the existence of Waluigi or now 3 different princesses in Mario.

xprs22

Neo Member
Astrosanity said:
Problem with the number of Sonic characters is up until Unleashed (and even then you had the Werehog) each character seemed to be competing with one another for screen and playtime in major Sonic which took away from an already strict development time for ST to properly flesh out anyone's gameplay. It'd of been far less of a deal (I think?) if they were introduced in a manner similar to those bird people in the airboarding games then the 'main' Sonic games where being able to play as Sonic's sentient, disembodied 3rd nipple was seen by SEGA to be a major selling-point.

It was actually stopped beginning with Secret Rings.

Also, I'm not understanding the Modern Sonic design gripe based off the 20th anniversary photo posted above. Ya he has green eyes and is a little taller, but bad ass Sonic still maintains overall coolness. His height didn't even get weird until the 06 failed reboot. Before that, hardly a person out there complained about his look. Feels like after Mega Man 9 dropped, lame-ass posers think its "cooler" to go classic design.

SykoTech

xprs22 said:
The only problem I have is about 55% of them need to be on the enemy side of the board. The Sonic Universe has WAYYYYYYYYYY TOO MANY damn protagonist. If Shadow is supposed to be the vigilante villain/hero with his own prerogative, SEGA sure does a terrible job executing that theory.

Yep.

It's DBZ syndrome. Every villain in that show either turns good or dies, and they tried to do the same with Sonic. Thus characters who started off as adversaries or rivals to Sonic (Knuckles, Shadow, Blaze, Silver, Rouge, etc.) are now reduced to just being his annoying friends. That's especially embarrassing for Shadow. How does a character specifically designed to oppose Sonic end up becoming his groupie?

The only characters that actually stayed bad guys and not get killed off are Eggman, Metal Sonic, and...Eggman Nega. So the main dude, his robot copy slave, and a recolor of the main dude. Pathetic. I'm with Rlan, Fang/Nack needs to return and shake up the antagonist side of things.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Green Scar said:
Here's a question: why the fuck have they introduced Cream's mum, but not Sonic's

Also, why the fuck did they introduce Cream
Mama Robotnik needs to be introduced into the game canon. Also, Cream's awesome in Sonic Chronicles. (I don't think she's awesome as a "character", however.)

Diablohead said:
Nack needs his return.
Absolutely. What a great villainous lackey. His themes are wonderful too, as someone else has pointed out.

xprs22 said:
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Not understanding how most of the character designs can be hated on. The only problem I have is about 55% of them need to be on the enemy side of the board. The Sonic Universe has WAYYYYYYYYYY TOO MANY damn protagonist.
I think ImageShack use is frowned upon on GAF. Here are some alternatives from the FAQ forum: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428775

I agree and disagree.

Re: character designs being hated on: people have different tastes with regards to design aesthetics. I think it's fine to compromise on that front. Not everyone is going to like what you like or accept what you accept.

Re: Far too many protagonists: Yes and no. If we have something like Suikoden with 108 "protagonists" or good guys... or better yet, if we have the Mario series with all of its characters (probably more than the Sonic series), and it's completely fine as a result, then the Sonic series is doing something wrong with the way it handles characterization in its universe. The problem here is that there are too many characters that overshadow the main character who is Sonic. It's nice that some people got their own spinoffs a la Vincent Valentine, but the quality of some of those spinoffs are Dirge of Cerberus-esque or (ymmv here) Advent Children-esque, and even in the main games, these side characters get too much of the spotlight.

Sega seems to have learned a little with Sonic Colours and Unleashed, but some people in my experience don't just want to play as Sonic--they were happy with Sonic, Tails and Knuckles (some would accept Amy as hard mode) because all of these characters had their own distinguishing quality to make the gameplay somewhat different enough to make their levels in the game seem new based on what they can do.

However, yes--Robotnik needs more lackeys that remain antagonists rather than becoming Sonic's friends.

Edit: I think Mario does at least as many characters as Sonic--not sure how accurate this chart is. The Sonic chart was slightly biased as it included characters that only appeared once, appeared in the comics, appeared in cancelled games or only appeared for 5-10 seconds.
TjSVl.jpg

Sciz

xprs22 said:
Me too. His design is nice, it's just the game he guest stars in that sucks. People, especially Classic Fanboys, have a hard time separating the two. Most of the character designs, excluding E102, Gamma, and Big, are very likable.
It shouldn't surprise me that you dislike two of the only character designs from the 3D era of the series that aren't trying ridiculously hard to be cool in favor of the aesthetic nightmare that is Silver, and yet it does.

xprs22 said:
His height didn't even get weird until the 06 failed reboot. Before that, hardly a person out there complained about his look. Feels like after Mega Man 9 dropped, lame-ass posers think its "cooler" to go classic design.
A. People were griping about Modern Sonic back in 1998. The complaining got louder over time because he just kept getting worse with every game up until Secret Rings and Unleashed finally dialed him back in a bit.

B. Mega Man 9 exists in the first place because there are very significant numbers of people who genuinely prefer classic designs to their increasingly distantly related modern iterations.

Gravijah said:
This game should have oldschool Amy in it, too.

http://i.imgur.com/XulP1.gif[mg]

And if it already does please, someone, give me the good news.[/QUOTE]

Classic Amy could teach Modern Amy quite a bit about stalking Sonic. Whilst Modern Amy stands there yapping on about "I'M GONNA MARRY YOU SONIC" or whatever, Classic Amy runs after him like a motherfucker.

Side-note: Is there seriously any difference at all between Classic and Modern Tails? Beyond the voice, of course.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Green Scar said:
Classic Amy could teach Modern Amy quite a bit about stalking Sonic. Whilst Modern Amy stands there yapping on about "I'M GONNA MARRY YOU SONIC" or whatever, Classic Amy runs after him like a motherfucker.
LOL, I was pretty happy when Amy never spoke.

4VqD4.png

Side-note: Is there seriously any difference at all between Classic and Modern Tails? Beyond the voice, of course.
They don't look much different to me... outside of the length of the facial fur and fur colour lightening. Oh. Wait. The eyes might open up a can of worms.
iXhEO.png
14u6x.png

Edit: beaten.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Gravijah said:
This game should have oldschool Amy in it, too.

XulP1.gif

And if it already does please, someone, give me the good news.
Never liked her classic design. It's too busy and her clothes don't even match.

Modern Amy is a pretty slick upgrade.

Green Scar said:
Here's a question: why the fuck have they introduced Cream's mum, but not Sonic's

Also, why the fuck did they introduce Cream

I really, really hope they never get around to introducing Sonic's parents or any origin story whatsoever. There's nothing introducing those characters would do to improve these games, both from a gameplay perspective or a plot perspective.

It was bad enough when they introduced Gerald Robotnik; humanizing the villain by delving in to his family tree (and revealing that he apparently descended from well-intentioned scientists instead of evil geniuses) was another terrible idea in an entire ocean of bad ideas.

Along side making every game's plot essentially "Dr. Eggman gets in over his head and eventually loses control of whatever mystical/alien force he inadvertently angered while trying to take over the world".

You're not much of a villain when you're constantly being trampled by not only the good guys, but fellow bad guys as well.

0 HP

nack really was fucking great. sonic cd amy wasn't so bad either. it really makes you wonder what happened to sega where the whole bottom fell out of the sonic franchise

Sega1991 said:
I really, really hope they never get around to introducing Sonic's parents or any origin story whatsoever. There's nothing introducing those characters would do to improve these games, both from a gameplay perspective or a plot perspective.
0KWiX.jpg

Yeah, the differences between Classic/Modern Tails are insignificant for me. I guess it's the same for Knuckles too. Wonder why they went through the grinder pretty much unscathed (beyond some weird annoying sounds coming from their mouths) when Sonic got fucked up totally.

edit: sweet, sonic's dad has a curleh moustache

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Uncle Chuck was awesome. His plight always kept me invested... in the cartoon and comics.

As long as they keep that extraneous shit out the video game canon, we cool.

Why are Sonic's relatives all robots? Is Sonic a robot? Is it like Earthbound, where he had to transplant his soul into a robotic version of himself in order to be able to travel through time in Sonic 2006?

G0523

Green Scar said:
Why are Sonic's relatives all robots? Is Sonic a robot? Is it like Earthbound, where he had to transplant his soul into a robotic version of himself in order to be able to travel through time in Sonic 2006?
Sonic's parents, Uncle Chuck, and dog, Muttski, were all roboticized when Robotnik took over the world. Sonic, Tails, and the other Freedom Fighters from the SatAM show and Archie comics were the only ones to survive the enslaving of the world.

Why do I know this?

DeVeAn

G0523 said:
Sonic's parents, Uncle Chuck, and dog, Muttski, were all roboticized when Robotnik took over the world. Sonic, Tails, and the other Freedom Fighters from the SatAM show and Archie comics were the only ones to survive the enslaving of the world.

Why do I know this?
Lol I knew that from reading the comics...a long time ago...for reals.

Sega1991 said:
No, that's Sonic's Uncle Chuck. THIS is Sonic's Dad:

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/1/12075/333190-134402-jules-hedgehog_large.jpg[/g]
[url]http://archiesonic.wikia.com/wiki/Jules_Hedgehog[/url][/QUOTE]
I know he's a robot, but why does his dad look like a dipshit?

[quote=Anth0ny][IMG]http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090808160956/archiesonic/images/7/77/Bernadette_Hedgehog.jpg[/IG]

lolwtf[/quote]
And why does his mom look like a whore?

[quote=G0523][SPOILER]Why do I know this?[/SPOILER][/quote]
Because the cartoon/comics were good. >:(

[QUOTE=DryEyeRelief]Sonic the Hedgehog new character design process:
[Name] the [Animal] colored by something we haven't used yet[/QUOTE]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Xclbc.png

Articalys

Afrocentric-Asian said:
I havent read the Archie comics in years, though something in my gut's tellin' me I'm not missin' out.
Well, they're apparently about to reset the whole series; there was a discussion a handful of pages back about it, I believe, readying for a Cosmic Retcon at the end of issue #225 or something.

Top Bottom