• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Would it be the first retail 360/PS3 main Sonic title to not get real DLC?

Yep! Even Sonic 2006 had DLC, though not quite to the degree that they were apparently planning. It's probably not even listed on the Xbox Marketplace anymore, but to my memory, Sonic 2006's DLC was...

• Very Hard Mode (Sonic)
  • Very Hard Mode (Silver)
  • Very Hard Mode (Shadow)
  • Team Attack Amigo (alternate versions of all the games levels as Tails, Blaze and Omega)
From what people extracted from the Sonic 2006 executable, planned DLC was probably something along the lines of:

• Music packs for every Sonic game up through Sonic Heroes
  • Extra levels for Sonic
  • Extra levels for Silver
  • Extra levels for Shadow
  • Extra levels for Tails
  • Extra levels for Knuckles
  • Extra levels for Amy
  • Extra levels for Blaze
  • Extra levels for Rouge
  • Extra levels for Omega
  • The ability to play as Metal Sonic

qq more

Yep! Even Sonic 2006 had DLC, though not quite to the degree that they were apparently planning. It's probably not even listed on the Xbox Marketplace anymore, but to my memory, Sonic 2006's DLC was...

• Very Hard Mode (Sonic)
  • Very Hard Mode (Silver)
  • Very Hard Mode (Shadow)
  • Team Attack Amigo (alternate versions of all the games levels as Tails, Blaze and Omega)
From what people extracted from the Sonic 2006 executable, planned DLC was probably something along the lines of:

• Music packs for every Sonic game up through Sonic Heroes
  • Extra levels for Sonic
  • Extra levels for Silver
  • Extra levels for Shadow
  • Extra levels for Tails
  • Extra levels for Knuckles
  • Extra levels for Amy
  • Extra levels for Blaze
  • Extra levels for Rouge
  • Extra levels for Omega
  • The ability to play as Metal Sonic
Music packs DLC?

Shit, Sega. Why haven't you done this for Generations?

Music packs DLC?

Shit, Sega. Why haven't you done this for Generations?

Well, it might've been music DLC. There's a lot of unused stuff in the Sonic 2006 executable. The extra level packs were definitely listed with other DLC (which included listings for gamerpics and dashboard wallpaper). Also listed among DLC was the ability to watch a real-time version of the game's original tech demo footage.

The music packs were listed with the stuff sold in the shop, if I remember correctly. If my memory serves me, they were also listed with "Question of the Week" quiz challenges, so it's possible you'd have to complete some kind of quiz (possibly pertaining to the related game) to unlock its soundtrack?

It's worth mentioning that some of the original online multiplayer modes were Time Trial, Ring Race, and "Quiz".

'It Doesn't Matter' also works really well on City Escape. So there's that.

I dare not try mixing the classic music with the modern stages... D:

For what it's worth, this DLC pack (the only one I bought for 2006) approached decent. They were still kind of janky in spots (Omega trying to run around on an uneven rock), but you could see they had a slightly better grip on the game. By that point, of course, it was too late.

Strangely enough, they actually tuned how Tails played a little, for the better. But only for his levels in the DLC, it didn't improve him in the normal game.

Edit: I think you forgot the Boss Attack DLC as well. Hell, they actually had the nerve to sell Boss Attack separately for each character:

• Additional Episode "Shadow Boss Attack"
  • Additional Episode "Sonic Boss Attack"
  • Additional Episode "Silver Boss Attack"

Seaside Hill is garrrrrrrrrrrrrrrbage. Garbage! Ugh. My enthusiasm about this game just got a lot lower. :lol

Seaside Hill gets a lot better after you've been through it once or twice and aren't confused about where to go. There are giant chunks of the level you won't even know exist until you've been through it several times.

Seaside Hill gets a lot better after you've been through it once or twice and aren't confused about where to go. There are giant chunks of the level you won't even know exist until you've been through it several times.

It's a) underwater a lot with Classic, and b) too open with Modern. It hasn't got linear enough environments for Modern's controls to suit. Ugh. It probably does improve, but so do the others, and they were at least fun the first time as well.

Also, the music blows. Which I guess can be fixed, but still. Man, Sonic Heroes, eh? What a crock of shit.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, when you figure out the faster paths (ie: the ones that keep you out of the water for the most part), it gets much better. I really disliked it my first time through, but as I practiced and got better at discovering alternate paths while looking for Red Rings, my experience with it became more positive.

In retrospect, I think it's funny how much I loved Crisis City my first time through it despite disliking the original version a lot. Sega 1991 was right when he said that "[Generations] is good enough that it actually makes bad Sonic games look better by relation".

Crisis City was a lot of fun as Modern, playing it as Classic now. Dude looks so out-of-place, but hey, it was a dark time for everyone.

Still wish they'd used Radical Train.

I <3 the vocal songs. ALL OF THEM
well, a few of them

For some reason, in my goal to get that one last Red Ring in City Escape, I've started using A New Venture for the BGM.

It fits pretty well, IMO.

I like the instrumental version of His World more than the vocal one, though.

nns3d

Yeah, City Escape was the weakest of the Dreamcast era stages (for Modern Sonic at least). Crisis City Modern gets play from me mainly because of the music (my favorite remix in the game) and Crisis City Classic is probably my favorite of the Classic stages (next to Sky Sanctuary).

Emitan

I really hate the last segment of Crisis City Classic. I love the fakeout, but it messes with the physics in a bad way.

The fakeout is fine.

Jumping around floating platforms as the wind constantly messes with your position is not fine.

Also, reiterating that Seaside Hill is the worst Dreamcast-Era Stage, and a strong contender with Planet Wisp for Worst Stage.

I thoroughly enjoyed both Acts of Crisis City. The tornado got a bit annoying at the end of Crisis City Classic, but it seemed more like me messing up than the game being awkward. (I've never been good at Sonic, I'm appreciating the lee-way this game is giving me with regards to getting S-Ranks.)

Started Unleashed Act 2, got fed up of crashing into shit and decided to call it a night. Well, after I went back and got all the Classic rings and S-Ranks... and all the Green Hill Challenge Act S-Ranks. :lol

I thoroughly enjoyed both Acts of Crisis City. The tornado got a bit annoying at the end of Crisis City Classic, but it seemed more like me messing up than the game being awkward. (I've never been good at Sonic, I'm appreciating the lee-way this game is giving me with regards to getting S-Ranks.)

Started Unleashed Act 2, got fed up of crashing into shit and decided to call it a night. Well, after I went back and got all the Classic rings and S-Ranks... and all the Green Hill Challenge Act S-Ranks. :lol

Rooftop Run Modern is the best Act.

Of all time.

Everywhere, ever.

I know, the music started and it's all colourful and I was hyped as hell, but figured I wasn't ready for it yet because I was playing terribly. Which promptly made getting the Sky Sanctuary stuff harder too. Ha.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It just makes me feel so happy.
This makes me happy.

npyef.jpg

Eh, I've played a fair amount of Unleashed's day levels and Generations is a few notches higher in level quality, generally speaking. I'm not missing much, I feel.

Also, I find Unleashed's music outside of Rooftop Run and the artic level to be somewhat dull, which doesn't help.

It's OK, the PC version is getting that for free thanks to the fans.

You can say that if you want, but keep in mind that people on Sonic Retro are talking as if some levels will be difficult if not impossible to port accurately because certain level elements from Unleashed do not exist in Generations.

Like level entities are apparently hard-coded, so adding or modifying even simple things like new physics objects will be pretty tough, from the sounds of things. That means no slippery ice or sled in Holoska, either. I'd assume this even covers thins as small and insignificant as the animals in Savannah Citadel not being portable.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
You can say that if you want, but keep in mind that people on Sonic Retro are talking as if some levels will be difficult if not impossible to port accurately because certain level elements from Unleashed do not exist in Generations.

Like level entities are apparently hard-coded, so adding or modifying even simple things like new physics objects will be pretty tough, from the sounds of things. That means no slippery ice or sled in Holoska, either. I'd assume this even covers thins as small and insignificant as the animals in Savannah Citadel not being portable.

Yeah, I get the technical issues around such things, but come on, this is the Sonic mod fanbase we're talking about. One of whom actually got their fan engine to be used by Sega. Anything is possible with these people.

Sciz

Yeah, I get the technical issues around such things, but come on, this is the Sonic mod fanbase we're talking about. One of whom actually got their fan engine to be used by Sega. Anything is possible with these people.

Working with disassembled code is a bitch, and consequently all of the impressive work to come out of hacking is the culmination of years of knowledge and effort, not months.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Working with disassembled code is a bitch, and consequently all of the impressive work to come out of hacking is the culmination of years of knowledge and effort, not months.

Of course. But I have faith in the Sonic community.

Wait did I really just type that

Top Bottom