• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Lost World |OT| Too X-treme for the Galaxy

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Boy I was really enjoying the game up until the Ice World. I spent ages looking for the exit to the first zone, which just kep sending me in circles, before a wing power-up popped in front of me and teleported me to the finish line. Now I am stuck in the second zone because enemies keep either destroying my snowball or blowing me off the platforms, and I can do nothing against it because physics, unless I'm missing something.

Also, what's the point of collecting (a lot of) coins if you lose all of them with every hit?

It's such a gorgeous game though, I wish it wasn't so frustrating to play.

Seriously? After the first circle it's pretty clear you're supposed to use the laser wisp power to progress. And complaining that you lose ever ring when hit? Oh boy. Also the second act of that zone is also pretty simple.

The game doesn't start to go in to proper frustration mode until Silent Forest.

And complaining that you lose ever ring when hit? Oh boy.

Not really complaining, just honestly wondering. I'm not that familiar with Sonic games, I was expecting that maybe if you get enough rings you get a life, like in Mario, but I don't think that happens? I just thought it odd that having 20 rings or 300 rings doesn't really matter, unless I'm missing something.

So honest question: why get lots of rings?

Teknoman

Not really complaining, just honestly wondering. I'm not that familiar with Sonic games, I was expecting that maybe if you get enough rings you get a life, like in Mario, but I don't think that happens? I just thought it odd that having 20 rings or 300 rings doesn't really matter, unless I'm missing something.

So honest question: why get lots of rings?

100 rings should equal extra life (in majority of Sonic). The more rings you get the more chances you have of recovering them in a tricky situation. If you only have one ring, screw up and let it fade away after getting hit, you are toast.

Unless more are nearby.

I'm nauseous, the room is spinning, my arm muscles are burning, and I've still met with nothing but immense failure. Has ANYONE been able to do the final Special Stage on 3DS? Any tips?

Zafir

Boy I was really enjoying the game up until the Ice World. I spent ages looking for the exit to the first zone, which just kep sending me in circles, before a wing power-up popped in front of me and teleported me to the finish line. Now I am stuck in the second zone because enemies keep either destroying my snowball or blowing me off the platforms, and I can do nothing against it because physics, unless I'm missing something.

Also, what's the point of collecting (a lot of) coins if you lose all of them with every hit?

It's such a gorgeous game though, I wish it wasn't so frustrating to play.
On the snowball level, just charge(Use spin dash button for extra power, just make sure you don't over power it and roll off the edge) into the mobs and you'll knock them off the edge.

Mr-Joker

Banned

You have clearly never played a Sonic game before have you?

The "coins" are rings and they are your health bar the more you collect the more damage you can take and collecting the rings as you take damage means that it easy to keep going.

Yo. I'm not looking for any elaboration, but is it true that
Tails gets turned into a cyborg at some point in the game?
If so, I actually find it hysterical I got spoiled on a plot twist by fucking SammyClassicSonicFan of all people.

I mean, Sonic and plots aren't...exactly known to gel together, but still. lol

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Yo. I'm not looking for any elaboration, but is it true that
Tails gets turned into a cyborg at some point in the game?
If so, I actually find it hysterical I got spoiled on a plot twist by fucking SammyClassicSonicFan of all people.

I mean, Sonic and plots aren't...exactly known to gel together, but still. lol

It's true.

Plot isn't anything to get too concerned over in this game, but I actually did enjoy it for what it was. Nothing to write home about, but actually pretty nice overall for a Sonic plotline. Not overly complicated, and some fairly funny moments mixed with some -gasp- character development.

It's true.

Plot isn't anything to get too concerned over in this game, but I actually did enjoy it for what it was. Nothing to write home about, but actually pretty nice overall for a Sonic plotline. Not overly complicated, and some fairly funny moments mixed with some -gasp- character development.

Yeah, I don't know the actual context behind it, so technically I'm good. I'm still excited to play it.

Kokonoe

Banned
Dang. I love that title. I'm so jealous of everyone who gets to play this before me since I'm in the US. I'm on complete media blackout and I can't wait to give this game a go.

TheOGB

Banned
Oh right, retail Wii U demos have been updated recently.

...Too bad the Target down the street doesn't have a playable Wii U >:T

Mr Swine

Banned
Played the first 3 worlds (not acts) and I have to say I'm really impressed on how well the gameplay and controllers are! I learned how to control Sonic really well the first act so I don't really understand why reviewers complain about it :/ the game is a solid 8 so far! The graphics look incredible even if there is way less geometry than in Unleashed/Generations, but the art is superb!

Teknoman

Im still surprised that we've got the spin dash, but still in Windy Hill act 2, they put two speed boosters at the bottom of either side of a half pipe.

Game still looks fun, but it sucks that they still seem to have unnecessary speed booster placement.

NotLiquid

The speed boosters aren't as annoying in here as they are in previous games I feel. Usually there are multiple ones stringed together in a way that sets you on a scripted path when there's a chance you'll want to deviate a different path instead, and in some cases avoiding them is a good thing as in Windy Hill Zone 4 they'll have you miss a Red Ring near the start.

qq more

The speed boosters aren't as annoying in here as they are in previous games I feel. Usually there are multiple ones stringed together in a way that sets you on a scripted path when there's a chance you'll want to deviate a different path instead, and in some cases avoiding them is a good thing as in Windy Hill Zone 3 they'll have you miss a Red Ring near the start.

So they "punish" you in a non-bullshit way for not using the speed boosters? This is something they should be doing more often if they're still keeping them. I like it.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I just got back from playing the retail demo at Best Buy. You could only play Windy Hill Zone 1, but I really digged what I played. Looks great, catchy music, and can be really fun once you get going. I could see how it could get frustrating (every 3D Sonic has problems with that) but I bared through Secret Rings that arguably had broken controls. I felt right at home with Lost World's controls btw in the demo. Felt really natural with the trigger run button.

I have Lost World on my Gamefly Q (currently have Wonderful 101 which I just received), but after the demo I just might consider buying it during one of the B2G1 free holiday deals coming up. So the question is, if I really enjoyed the the very first level of the game, is that a safe to say that I will enjoy the rest of the game?

TheOGB

Banned
I think that's rarely safe to say; it's usually not a good idea to hinge your opinion of an entire game on just the opening. For better or worse--point being you won't know yet--there's a lot left for you to experience.

That said, if what you played was enough to sell you on it, then go for it.

edit: while I'm here omg I can't stop listening to Silent Forest's music

NotLiquid

I'll say this much for anyone who's had a chance to experience the first level or so - if you generally like the game play and by extent, the design, then you should probably have no problems enjoying the rest of the game. Where it only begins to falter is in the halfway point when a deal of annoying stage gimmicks get introduced, as well as lives becoming really scarce. But for the most of the part the game is consistent, even if a few frustrating moments that hold it back from being a truly great game makes me think of that one scene in The Waterboy where Adam Sandler's character is open for a win although he ends up willingly handing the ball over to his opponent so he can do something else.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Does anybody know how to watch the cut scene again after you have beaten the game? My little brother wanted to watch them but couldn't find an option to do it.

I think that's rarely safe to say; it's usually not a good idea to hinge your opinion of an entire game on just the opening. For better or worse--point being you won't know yet--there's a lot left for you to experience.

That said, if what you played was enough to sell you on it, then go for it.
I think Yahtzee raised a pretty good point along these lines. He noted that he never feels safe saying a game is good based on the first few hours, because the game could totally shit the bed in the latter end, while he feels perfectly safe saying a game is bad based on the first few hours, because the bed-shitting would have made itself apparent at that point.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Ok seriously how the fuck do you turn round a corner when wall running? There's a particular red ring I need in one of the Silent Forest levels. It requires you to wall run, run round the corners of walls while wall running, do a series of wall jumps and it's generally a fucking ridiculous requirement considering how terrible the controls are for this.

SInce the game never told me jack shit I was wondering if GAF could give me a tutorial on this. It seems so damn inconsistent. Most of the time when I try to press the button to turn the corner Sonic will just jump to his death. Occasionally he'll turn the corner and I have no idea how I'm supposed to this consistently. What direction am I supposed to be pushing the analog stick, if at all? How strict does the timing need to be before I press the jump button? Do I need to be going at a certain speed for this to work? Am I supposed to be holding down the run button?

These are all questions that should have been answered in a goddamn tutorial. Also Sega dropped the ball by making this ability tied to the jump button. The game simply can't tell if you're trying to jump off the wall or trying to go round the corner. If Sega were smart they would have mapped this ability to another button so the game never gets confused as to what you're trying to do. Thankfully the game never actually requires you to use this ability for main completion. It's just for a red ring.

Lijik

I love the jaunty electroswig-esque circus music so much, reminds me of the battle music in OFF

Wish it was longer, by the time it finishes building up its basically over

Peff

SInce the game never told me jack shit I was wondering if GAF could give me a tutorial on this. It seems so damn inconsistent. Most of the time when I try to press the button to turn the corner Sonic will just jump to his death. Occasionally he'll turn the corner and I have no idea how I'm supposed to this consistently. What direction am I supposed to be pushing the analog stick, if at all? How strict does the timing need to be before I press the jump button? Do I need to be going at a certain speed for this to work? Am I supposed to be holding down the run button?

You can side-boost more than once :p It's insanely baffling that they don't have some kind of visual cue for all this parkour stuff. Something like green/blue smoke that turns yellow then red with length/each use would have worked wonders, but as it is it takes a while to get used to how far you can run up a wall or this corner move. It's especially awkward because the game very rarely integrates parkour into the levels, and when it does towards the end there's usually some alternative. Oh, well, it could have made for some great platforming sequences.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Ok of all the complaints I've had about this game not once have I had a complaint about the speed. That's about to change because I just unlocked Super Sonic. This is simply unacceptable. Where is the speed upgrade? Where's the jump upgrade? Where's the parkour upgrade? If SS is faster than regular Sonic then it's not by that much. Such a disappointment. It's not Generations bad but it's nowhere near as good as it should have been.

However I will say one thing they did right. Super Sonic has the boost instead of spindash. This is a FANTASTIC idea. The problem is that it doesn't actually feel faster than the spindash. However it is cool that you can boost in places you can't spindash such as on ice or over green goo so there's that. I think for the next game they need to give SS a noticable speed bump over regular Sonic. Boost needs to get you to some really ridiculous speeds. Give me that adrenaline rush with Super Sonic. Make his jump distinct as well like in the classics. Make his parkour much better and allow him to run higher and longer up walls and whatnot. Also it baffles me that Sega still haven't included separate rankings for Super Sonic. Give me different goals to go for with regular and Super Sonic and give me a reason for why I should want to play the game again with Super Sonic.

TheOGB

Banned
Yeah, still guessing... still waiting...

7LKlFf6.gif

Guess I should've mentioned here as well, but there's a charity stream of Lost World going on, featuring Ian Flynn, current writer of the Archie Sonic comics (aka one of the reasons it's good now)

Kurtofan

Ok what am I supposed
to do to push the red Zeti over the edge at the end of Sky Road 4? No matter what I do he parries my homing shots even though he looks disoriented.

sarcoa

The Nights level DLC code packed inside my NA copy of Lost World finally redeemed.

But after I beat it the level disappeared from the map. Can you only play through it once?

SuperSah

Banned
The 3DS game looks GOOD, but people say otherwise.

Impressions?

Why don't they release the damn demo? Japan had it in every conceivable language!

The Nights level DLC code packed inside my NA copy of Lost World finally redeemed.

But after I beat it the level disappeared from the map. Can you only play through it once?

Literally a single page back:

I just played the Nights DLC level, then it disappeared from the menu? Do I only get to play it once? Tell me it comes back.

It comes back, I had to quit out of the game and then re-enter for it to return.

Zafir

Ok what am I supposed
to do to push the red Zeti over the edge at the end of Sky Road 4? No matter what I do he parries my homing shots even though he looks disoriented.
Oh, I think you have to do a kick on the red guy if I recall? Jump and then press X(Think it's X, you'll probably remember from the spiders you had to do it on).

NotLiquid

Ok what am I supposed

Approach him and wait until the homing attack reticle charges up (turns white). Attack him when its fully charged.

XaosWolf

The 3DS game looks GOOD, but people say otherwise.

Impressions?

Why don't they release the damn demo? Japan had it in every conceivable language!

After finishing both, I enjoyed the 3DS version way more than the Wii U version.
Need to head back to the Wii U version to see if I was playing it wrong or something.

And if you meant graphics-wise, then it's still a looker, though the FMV scenes are ridiculously low quality visually.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
This may have already been answered but does the Wii U eShop update at 9PM PST like the 3ds one? I had a copy ordered on amazon but if i can just download it monday night ill probably just do that instead.

Top Bottom