• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

Can anyone give advice on how to beat the boss from Oil Ocean? All the previous bosses were a total breeze, but OOZ's boss has brought my progress through the game to an absolute halt. :/

Can anyone give advice on how to beat the boss from Oil Ocean? All the previous bosses were a total breeze, but OOZ's boss has brought my progress through the game to an absolute halt. :/

Obviously jump before the platforms are pulled into the oil. Jump two sections away from the lazer beam so you have time to react, this will help you automatically dodge the curved one off attack that sometimes happens.

Other than that go in with plenty of lives and prioritise picking up rings, if you get stuck in when eggman appears tails will often do a fair bit of damage too.
I focus on killing of the 'arms' with the wheels on top first.

With a bit of practice its not too bad. Once you make sure the attacks dont get you then you have the chance to wear him down slowly before you nail the timings.

What are you having trouble with specifically? I thought he was pretty easy. The pattern is very similar just go ham on Eggman when he appears with the Octorock looking thing.

yo so how do you do the blue sphere stage with 4 blues. you have to jump over the bumpers but after which blue and in which direction? I even watched a video and copied it and hit into a red unless I'm being really daft. I think my mind is melted from trying to finish these. there are actual hard puzzle games that I feel less flustered in lol.

It's the last one I have to do for gold :(

lol never mind I always seem to complete these after I end up posting for help.
you need to turn left after the first blue and jump over the bumpers, and turn left when the bumpers meet a crossroads I was turning right >_<

no more goddamn blue spheres ever again! tbf some of them were pretty ingenious but I hope they retire it as a special stage now.

Obviously jump before the platforms are pulled into the oil. Jump two sections away from the lazer beam so you have time to react, this will help you automatically dodge the curved one off attack that sometimes happens.

Other than that go in with plenty of lives and prioritise picking up rings, if you get stuck in when eggman appears tails will often do a fair bit of damage too.
I focus on killing of the 'arms' with the wheels on top first.

With a bit of practice its not too bad. Once you make sure the attacks dont get you then you have the chance to wear him down slowly before you nail the timings.

Thanks, I was prioritizing eggman before the arms with wheels.

What are you having trouble with specifically? I thought he was pretty easy. The pattern is very similar just go ham on Eggman when he appears with the Octorock looking thing.

The arms and eggman were managing to knock me out away from the rings that'd fall out of me, so I was left open for one-hit-kills. Seemed like a nuisance, but will focus on the arms more.

Go to the middle platform when the boss is about to shoot lasers. Let sonic duck until the boss aims for the ground, jump. Get rid of the black shooting projectile on the side that you feel comfortable attacking from. Once you got rid of that, jumping on eggman is so easy. When he takes the platforms away, it’s all about timing your attack when he reappears.

So I'm on the last zone with Knuckles and I want to relate my Sonic experience:

1) I got all the emeralds in Sonic 1 and 2.
2) I never got all the emeralds, or even found enough spots, in Sonic 3, S&K, or the two combined.
3) I never created a good future in Sonic CD.

I'd like to be able to become Super Sonic in Mania. I feel I can beat all the special stages; in this playthrough, I got to stage 5 but haven't beaten it yet. I don't want to cheat and play the last level in the level select mode; I want to actually get to it by getting all the emeralds.

When Uncharted comes out, I may devote my time to both games.

ALSO: Is there an easier way to beat the mini-boss in the last zone?

Because of the jump handicap, I end up gliding into the boss from on top before the fight starts, then I just brute force in the middle, jump at it, get my coin whenever I get hit, and then go about the rest of the boss as normal.

Man, one time, though, I had 8 minutes on the clock for his second form, and he just kept going up each time, preventing me from jumping at him. But that's okay; it's that first form that gives me so many problems as Knuckles. Just beat him, but geez.

Gartooth

So I'm on the last zone with Knuckles and I want to relate my Sonic experience:

1) I got all the emeralds in Sonic 1 and 2.
2) I never got all the emeralds, or even found enough spots, in Sonic 3, S&K, or the two combined.
3) I never created a good future in Sonic CD.

I'd like to be able to become Super Sonic in Mania. I feel I can beat all the special stages; in this playthrough, I got to stage 5 but haven't beaten it yet. I don't want to cheat and play the last level in the level select mode; I want to actually get to it by getting all the emeralds.

When Uncharted comes out, I may devote my time to both games.

ALSO: Is there an easier way to beat the mini-boss in the last zone?

Because of the jump handicap, I end up gliding into the boss from on top before the fight starts, then I just brute force in the middle, jump at it, get my coin whenever I get hit, and then go about the rest of the boss as normal.

Man, one time, though, I had 8 minutes on the clock for his second form, and he just kept going up each time, preventing me from jumping at him. But that's okay; it's that first form that gives me so many problems as Knuckles. Just beat him, but geez.

For special stage 5 (and onward) just stay directly on the UFOs tail and get any rings and orbs along the way. Don't be tempted to deviate since distance is more important than collecting.

Also that boss is indeed bullshit with Knuckles. It feels like the only way to win is to abuse invincibility frames, since the ideal moment to attack with Sonic and Tails is from the side of the stage while avoiding the balls on the ground. I think they could fix this problem by putting a wall on the right side of the arena for Knuckles to climb + glide from.

I know Knuckles spinning on the ring has become something of a meme, but this is probably my favorite shot in the animated intro

NWtx9Ls.gif

This is what I like about the classic Sonic, looking effortlessly cool. I feel like Modern Sonic tries too hard while the Classic Sonic (seen in Generations and Forces) goes too far in a cutesy direction to distinguish the two.

Modern Sonic is just awful. I hope Sega buries that design forever and sticks to the OG one from now on. Or maybe they could make a 3D one look like the anime in the gif using the style of Dragon ball FighterZ.

ZeoVGM

Banned
So I just beat this without the Chaos Emeralds and it was absolutely amazing. This is GOTY so far.

I can't explain the smile on my face when the Chemical Plant Zone boss appeared. Holy crap, that was amazing.

And I immediately noticed the nod to
Game Gear Metal Sonic
in the Stardust Speedway Zone boss. Event he sound effect was the same.

Two questions. Please spoiler tag your answer:

Are there any noticeable differences when playing as Knuckles?

Do you get an extra zone when getting all the Chaos Emaralds?

Guess Who

Banned
So I just beat this without the Chaos Emeralds and it was absolutely amazing. This is GOTY so far.

I can't explain the smile on my face when the Chemical Plant Zone boss appeared. Holy crap, that was amazing.

Game Gear Metal Sonic

Yes on both counts, but only as Sonic on the second.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

Knux can't jump as high as Sawnic, so some bosses are a bit more of a hassle. Also has 1 or 2 exclusive bosses and an exclusive level.

You get the final level which isn't a full zone, but the true final boss.

Gartooth

Game Gear Metal Sonic

Knuckles has an exclusive zone act and two original boss fights. His low speed and bad jump height can also make some parts of the game harder. Also only Sonic gets the true final boss.

I don't know how can somebody look at a speed run of Sonic and still say they don't get what's good about these games.

Also, the drop dash seems such an essential mechanic for this game, it makes this game way way better.

This green hill zone speed run under 30 seconds is pretty crazy!

https://youtu.be/s5arih60zY0

MrBadger

I barely used the drop dash, to be honest.

For me, it made the game way more fun. It's really the perfect extra move to give Sonic as it changes the gameplay without being so OP that it makes spin dashing obsolete

Yeah, the drop dash is amazing and will make replays of the classic games feel archaic moving forward. It's a brilliant addition.

When Sega come to their senses and put the definitive Sonic 1 and 2 on PC, I really hope the drop dash is put in as an option

I know Knuckles spinning on the ring has become something of a meme, but this is probably my favorite shot in the animated intro

NWtx9Ls.gif

This is what I like about the classic Sonic, looking effortlessly cool. I feel like Modern Sonic tries too hard while the Classic Sonic (seen in Generations and Forces) goes too far in a cutesy direction to distinguish the two.
I like Sonic's depiction in Mania, but I think it's just slightly too cutesy also. My favorite depiction of Sonic's personality (and also Tails, Knuckles, and Robotnik's) is in the Sonic OVA. It's very similar to Mania, but has slightly more attitude.

McNum

Got the game on Switch today. Immediate impressions... "It's Sonic." Which really say everything in two words. It's Sonic. Like, it's really a new classic Sonic game. Plays like one, has weird physics bugs like one, and is ever so spiteful like one. "Those are some nice rings you have there Sonic. Would be a shame if... SPRING INTO ENEMIES!" Ah, good times.

There's one big complaint I have and that's for a certain boss that is awesome.. so I'll spoiler tag it.

Chemical Plant Zone Act 2, of course:
I'm colorblind. The green and orange as well as the blue and purple ones look too similar to me to make quick movements in Puyo Puyo. Which is why I don't play those games. I'm just glad Eggman absolutely sucks at the game, otherwise I'd have been stuck.

I wish there was a colorblind option for that boss. And pretty much only that boss. The rest of the game is fine.

13ruce

Banned
Knuckles has an exclusive zone act and two original boss fights. His low speed and bad jump height can also make some parts of the game harder. Also only Sonic gets the true final boss.

you can play the true final boss as knuckles and tails through level select after beating it with Sonic tho.

Gartooth

you can play the true final boss as knuckles and tails through level select after beating it with Sonic tho.

Didn't know that! I tried playing the boss with both of them after getting all emeralds but I just got the normal ending. This was also after doing the true final boss with Sonic. Do I need to pick the No Save mode?

ZeoVGM

Banned
So I can just go into stages I've already beaten via the stage select, now that I've beaten the game, to get Chaos Emeralds I missed?

And if so, does that mean I have to beat the final zone again to
trigger the true final boss?

Gartooth

So I can just go into stages I've already beaten via the stage select, now that I've beaten the game, to get Chaos Emeralds I missed?

Yes on both. All the special stage rings respawn each time, and if you replay the final stage with all emeralds you can get to the true final boss.

Berordn

Yes and yes.

13ruce

Banned
Didn't know that! I tried playing the boss with both of them after getting all emeralds but I just got the normal ending. This was also after doing the true final boss with Sonic. Do I need to pick the No Save mode?

It's the level select mode you can go to with a secret code at the title screen:
Square+X+Options for ps4 (at same time) and Switch Y+B and then press the + button.

Change character to Tails or Knuckles with Square on ps4 i think and Y on Switch then select the Egg Reverie level.

You don't need chaos emeralds for them only sonic needs to have beaten it on a normal file.

Gartooth

It's the level select mode you can go to with a secret code at the title screen:
Square+X+Options for ps4 (at same time) and Switch Y+B and then press the + button.

Change character to Tails or Knuckles with Square on ps4 i think and Y on Switch then select Egg Reverie.

You don't need chaos emeralds for them only sonic needs to have beaten it.

Oh I didn't realize "level select mode" was different from picking levels on clear files! Thanks for telling me!

DarkKyo

Modern Sonic is just awful. I hope Sega buries that design forever and sticks to the OG one from now on. Or maybe they could make a 3D one look like the anime in the gif using the style of Dragon ball FighterZ.

Boom's Sonic design is crap but the Sonic Adventure version of Sonic has its own charm. Sure it's trying harder to be cooler, but if you look at the official artwork for SA and SA2 I think it's safe to say they had an acceptable new vision for the character. So yes it's extreeeme, but its not overtly offensive within the context of the state of games from that era. That said they really cheesed it up going forward, his limbs getting ever longer over the years.

But yes classic Sonic design still takes the cake.

RRockman

Banned
Boom's Sonic design is crap but the Sonic Adventure version of Sonic has its own charm. Sure it's trying harder to be cooler, but if you look at the official artwork for SA and SA2 I think it's safe to say they had an acceptable new vision for the character. So yes it's extreeeme, but its not overtly offensive within the context of the state of games from that era. That said they really cheesed it up going forward, his limbs getting ever longer over the years.

But yes classic Sonic design still takes the cake.

I love the adventure design and classic equally personally. The green eyes with the red shoes was a stroke of brilliance. If I could get a cell shaded sonic with that design I'd be set for life.

NWtx9Ls.gif

Its my favorite shot aswell!!1

ZeoVGM

Banned
Yes on both. All the special stage rings respawn each time, and if you replay the final stage with all emeralds you can get to the true final boss.

... Wait, I can just do Green Hill Zone over and over to get the Chaos Emeralds? That sounds cheap, haha.

Was it like that for Sonic 3 & Knuckles? I forget.

The Hermit

... Wait, I can just do Green Hill Zone over and over to get the Chaos Emeralds? That sounds cheap, haha.

Was it like that for Sonic 3 & Knuckles? I forget.

Yes to both.

Still, I think the best approach is to replay the whole game, so you can explore and find more rings and get the gold medals in the save points as well

13ruce

Banned
Oh I didn't realize "level select mode" was different from picking levels on clear files! Thanks for telling me!

No problem! you can pick exactly the levels you want to play there not just zones wich is very cool.

And listen to the soundtrack + play the special stages.

Red

Bought this today. Forgot how nauseated the blue sphere special stages made me feel. Not enjoying the game. Music is great. Want to like it, but keep getting motion sick.

Wish I could get refunds on the switch eshop.

13ruce

Banned
What the hell is a drop dash??? I didn't even realize this was a thing and played through the game twice already

While you jump hold the jump button and then let loose you will do a spindash in the air and land on the ground and go fast:p

This is Mania Sonic's exclusive new move like the super peel in cd and the insta shield from sonic 3 + k

ZeoVGM

Banned
Bought this today. Forgot how nauseated the blue sphere special stages made me feel. Not enjoying the game. Music is great. Want to like it, but keep getting motion sick.

I mean, you could just not do the blue sphere bonus stages.

ZeoVGM

Banned
So there seems to be a major bug with the game in that it completely crashes whenever I try to view leaderboard for Time Attack.

I tried it on both Act 1 and Act 2. Immediately crashes.

On PS4 with the 5.0 beta, I should mention.

So I started a save, got a fifth Emerald on Green Hill and beat both acts, then exited out at the beginning of the next level and ate. I went back in later and I had to redo the 5th special stage again because I don't think anything saved.

Huh.

Just skip the blue sphere stages man :).

Top Bottom