• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Nope, those are only for unlocking extras.

For the best ending you have to clear the UFO bonus stages which give you a chaos emerald each.

I'm confused.... what triggers a UFO stage and what triggers a blue sphere stage?

Endo Punk

The
Oil Ocean zone 2 squid boss
can go to hell. He takes
platforms close to him
leaving you in the...
Oil ocean
eventually causing death. Fuck it!

Red

Nope, those are only for unlocking extras.

For the best ending you have to clear the UFO bonus stages which give you a chaos emerald each.
Alright, I'll have to go without seeing the extras. I didn't get sick from the one UFO stage I tried so I think I'm okay there. No way to go back and redo those is there?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm confused.... what triggers a UFO stage and what triggers a blue sphere stage?
UFO/emerald stage: Giant 3D rings that're hidden throughout each level, do all 7 for Super Sonic & "true" ending

Blue Sphere: Hit a checkpoint post with 25+ rings, these unlock random stuff in Extras & Secrets

Opa-Pa

Blue sphere stages appear when you pass through a checkpoint with 25+ rings, and the UFO ones you enter them by touching hidden, giant 3D rings. You can see one of them clearly near the beginning of Green Hill Act 1.

Alright, I'll have to go without seeing the extras. I didn't get sick from the one UFO stage I tried so I think I'm okay there. No way to go back and redo those is there?

I only got two emeralds before beating the game because I had a hard time finding giant rings, so when I beat the final boss and unlocked level select, I just replayed Green Hill Act 1 up until the first ring and then quit until I got all the emeralds.

Guess Who

Banned
The
Oil Ocean zone 2 squid boss
can go to hell. He takes
platforms close to him
leaving you in the...
Oil ocean
eventually causing death. Fuck it!

You can jump out of the oil, though - as long as you keep jumping it won't pull you to your death.

manakel

Titanic Monarch
was one of the most annoying, frustrating Zones in all of Sonic. I hate it so much lol. Other than that, I absolutely love this game! The controls took a little while to get used to (I don't know if it's been too long since I've played the original games or if they've changed the mechanics a bit), but after I got used to them I fell in love. Finished a playthrough with Sonic/Tails, now starting with Knuckles. Not really a fan of the special stages, so I'm sure it's going to be awhile before I can collect all the chaos emeralds.

Kyari

Yea but I don't even know what to attack, I just always end up losing my rings when I get close to that thing.

You can get 4 free hits right at the start of the fight, then just be slow/safe and take out the guns before dealing with the main boss.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
You can jump out of the oil, though - as long as you keep jumping it won't pull you to your death.

It's really finnicky and too often I clearly was Insta killed and forced under when I clearly leapt off a platform. Like there is some frame or two wherein you are judged killed if touching the platform far above the oil in mid air still. Really cheap and too many of my deaths are due to it. Hard to describe but it isn't like I am pulled under with the platform at all but the game judges that I am.

also I only just now realised (massive spoilers)

Sonic in the true ending does the pose from the first Forces trailer. and the timespace ward sound effect shows up in the Forces E3 trailer. he's travelling to Sonic Forces and the Phantom Ruby will likely be involved in whatever Infinite is meant to be

FUCK

Opa-Pa

Sonic in the true ending does the pose from the first Forces trailer. he's travelling to Sonic Forces and the Phantom Ruby will likely be involved in whatever Infinite is meant to be

FUCK

Yup, his pose gave it away for me instantly. Pretty cool way to connect them.

RRockman

Banned

Sonic in the true ending does the pose from the first Forces trailer. and the timespace ward sound effect shows up in the Forces E3 trailer. he's travelling to Sonic Forces and the Phantom Ruby will likely be involved in whatever Infinite is meant to be

FUCK

Tbh an
Infinite true final boss would have been more interesting than the one we got.

Endo Punk

You can get 4 free hits right at the start of the fight, then just be slow/safe and take out the guns before dealing with the main boss.

I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Hopefully I can manage 100 rings both zones to get extra lifes in case I mess up.

13ruce

Banned

FUCK

Yeah that was kinda neat tbh.

Doosi

Banned
all the stages in this are good, this is the most consistent sonic game to date

it really goes from amazing to good

nothing meh or average for me

13ruce

Banned
I really like the true final boss.
Seeing Eggman tussle with one of his own creations (sort of) is some good shit.
Also the music is incredible.

Yeah i love that final boss.
the struggle for the gem + super sonic being fully controllable and you can even do the fight as knuckles and tails lol

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
UFO stages are from the Giant Rings

Blue Sphere is from the checkpoint

UFO/emerald stage: Giant 3D rings that're hidden throughout each level, do all 7 for Super Sonic & "true" ending

Blue Sphere: Hit a checkpoint post with 25+ rings, these unlock random stuff in Extras & Secrets

Blue sphere stages appear when you pass through a checkpoint with 25+ rings, and the UFO ones you enter them by touching hidden, giant 3D rings. You can see one of them clearly near the beginning of Green Hill Act 1.

I only got two emeralds before beating the game because I had a hard time finding giant rings, so when I beat the final boss and unlocked level select, I just replayed Green Hill Act 1 up until the first ring and then quit until I got all the emeralds.

Ah! Thanks guys! I couldn't for the life of me figure what was triggering the Blue Sphere Zones - probably because I didn't know it was tied to ring collection. That makes sense. Thanks!!

OmegaFax

It's neat seeing how far the game came along since the game was first demoed last year.

Game did receive a lot of polish and tweaks to the graphics and some of the latter parts of the the level layout in Green Hill Zone Act 1 changed altogether.

September 2016 (Screencapped from a Polygon playthrough on YouTube)
q13O0azl.png

Final game:
49KTR4Hl.png

Unless Sega scrubs the PC version, it ought to be interesting to see if some of these old level tiles are still tucked away in the final game. Data miners could have a field day with Mania.

Zubz

Banned
I just had a "not entirely conscious" moment last night. I was filling out that online survey for Sonic Mania, but was falling asleep as I did so. When I woke up, I saw I did a minor rant about how Scratch & Grounder weren't in the game, & said that was the game's biggest problem.

I still sent it, though. It's not like I was wrong.

13ruce

Banned
I just had a "not entirely conscious" moment last night. I was filling out that online survey for Sonic Mania, but was falling asleep as I did so. When I woke up, I saw I did a minor rant about how Scratch & Grounder weren't in the game, & said that was the game's biggest problem.

Why no PINGAS! Tho?

icon.png

Weiss

Banned
Is it just me or is Sonic's design cuter in this game than it was in the Genesis games? It seems like he's more designed off the Sonic CD opening.

Guess Who

Banned
It's really finnicky and too often I clearly was Insta killed and forced under when I clearly leapt off a platform. Like there is some frame or two wherein you are judged killed if touching the platform far above the oil in mid air still. Really cheap and too many of my deaths are due to it. Hard to describe but it isn't like I am pulled under with the platform at all but the game judges that I am.

My strategy for dealing with the boss was primarily just jumping around the platforms like a mad man.

Camjo-Z

FUCK

I will be shocked if
Infinite doesn't secretly turn out to be your custom avatar from another dimension transformed by the Phantom Ruby (much like how Sonic has a second version of himself from the Classic dimension).

I will be shocked if
Infinite doesn't secretly turn out to be your custom avatar from another dimension transformed by the Phantom Ruby (much like how Sonic has a second version of himself from the Classic dimension).
Sega and Sonic Team's done the
"new character is connected to the main villan" before in Unleashed with Chip being Dark Gaia's counterpart
before, and I wouldn't be surprised if it happened
in Forces as an excuse to why the Custom Hero won't return for future entries, just like Chip sacrificing himself to ensure Dark Gaia wouldn't reap havok over the world

13ruce

Banned
You can actually do select levels with peel out, insta shield and
&
Knuckles

Just select the options on a no save file and then go to title screen and press the special code for the special level select screen.

Now you can play in any level with any of the bonusses you want.

Kinda glad there still is a way to do so....

Sega and Sonic Team's done the
"new character is connected to the main villan" before in Unleashed with Chip being Dark Gaia's counterpart
before, and I wouldn't be surprised if it happened
in Forces as an excuse to why the Custom Hero won't return for future entries, just like Chip
I mean, there's really only been a handful of plots in Sonic games since Adventure. "Eggman awakes an ancient evil" and "Sonic revisits old locales through time and space shenanigans."

Colors is the only one that really had a straightforward plot of Eggman being evil.

Mr_Moogle

Can anyone give advice on how to beat the boss from Oil Ocean? All the previous bosses were a total breeze, but OOZ's boss has brought my progress through the game to an absolute halt. :/

Yeah this is where I got my first game over. There isn't much in the way of tips here though. Make sure you go in with plenty of rings, when the platforms drop, try to position your jump directly over the the top of the grey spheres. If you bounce on top of them you can take them out quickly which makes it easier to survive. Once the two spheres are taken out you can wail on Robotnik without hassles. Remember to spam jump whenever you go into the oil.

It's funny to me that Oil Ocean was usually where I'd get game over when I played Sonic 2 as a kid as well.

Skel1ingt0n

Anyone have any 4K wallpapers from Sonic Mania art or assets?

I've got some poorly up-resed 1440p backgrounds - but they're blurry. I'd love a really great Mania background on my gaming PC.

RRockman

Banned

Like the idea is fine but it doesn't seem like there's that much build up to it. It's also not exactly the first time something like this has happened either. The Music is fantastic though, you have me there.

The enemy Scratch is based off of is in the game

muteki

Final fight and ending was pretty disappointing.
last stage is called 'titanic monarch',
you tease us with this giant death-egg style robot in the background the whole stage, and the last fight is just, well, not that. Maybe they ran out of time, oh well.

batfax

Survey?

Started a new game with Knuckles and Act 1 of Green Hill seemed different. Are there different level designs for each character? Or is it just for Knuckles?

Neiteio

Titanic Monarch
was one of the most annoying, frustrating Zones in all of Sonic. I hate it so much lol. Other than that, I absolutely love this game! The controls took a little while to get used to (I don't know if it's been too long since I've played the original games or if they've changed the mechanics a bit), but after I got used to them I fell in love. Finished a playthrough with Sonic/Tails, now starting with Knuckles. Not really a fan of the special stages, so I'm sure it's going to be awhile before I can collect all the chaos emeralds.
TMZ is a super-fun zone when you replay it and master its gravity spheres and other contraptions. Reaching the end with time to spare is especially gratifying in that zone.

Aki-at

I still preferred what happened in Sonic Advance 3 more.

Sonic and Eggman team up is best team up.

Top Bottom