• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

eastx

If it's anything like Taxman's 1 and 2, hold up in mid air and press jump to make Tails start flying, then jump into his arms to grab on

Keep on pressing jump like you'd do to keep Tails up when playing by himself

Thanks! I was never going to figure that out.

TheOGB

Banned
(quoter's note: these aren't Sonic Mania spoilers)
Yes, I realize that like half of these are from Sonic Advance 3. That game's OST is probably the most underrated in the series.
Sonic Battle and Advance 3 (and Colors) are why we need Kenichi Tokoi "headlining" another Sonic soundtrack ASAP

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I have read it's supposed to be about the same as Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

I've been watching a lot of spoilers, and from my count, Mania is very close in size to S3&K, both in terms of number of stages as well as the size of those stages.

The biggest difference to me so far is that Mania's stages seem to be more dense: more branching paths and less autopilot loops/slopes. But I haven't taken a good look at every single stage.

Guess Who

Banned
Without spoiling the number of zone or any other features, how long are we expecting this game to take to beat? Two to three hours max? Will there any modes to increase replayability like a time attack or something?

Not that it matters - classic Sonic is enough. Just curious.

Supposed to be comparable in length to S3&K. There is indeed a time attack mode, and it looks very good (cuts out bosses and checkpoints, has near-instant restarts for multiple tries, timer doesn't start until you cross a "start" line, etc). It sounds like there's some unlockable stuff tied to getting better ranks in Blue Sphere stages, but I've got no clue what that is.

1Xbox one Version unlocks at 4pm on the 15th(UK) time. Better not be true. Been waiting a long time for this and I want to play it midnight.

Robin64

The only reason I'm hesitant to buy on switch is the lack of a d-pad on the joycons. Portable still feels like the right choice for this game though.

Have you tried any of the games that are up that use d-pad? Stuff like Shantae, Shovel Knight, and Blaster Master Zero? I was surprised, despite not being a joined d-pad, it actually works really well. It's just small enough that my thumb easily rolls to each direction, and I was able to perform as well in Shovel Knight on Switch as I did on XBox One.

Nakasan

The only reason I'm hesitant to buy on switch is the lack of a d-pad on the joycons. Portable still feels like the right choice for this game though.

I never played shovel knight until last month and I have played through it with only about 3 mistakes which made me adapt to the "d pad". After that, no problems at all and finished it and torment.

I actually got Shovel Knight to make sure I was ready for Mania though so understand your hesitancy.

really excited to wake up tomorrow and play this

i don't think the classic style of sonic gameplay is my favorite in the series but i'm down for a good old time with this

Dougald

Have you tried any of the games that are up that use d-pad? Stuff like Shantae, Shovel Knight, and Blaster Master Zero? I was surprised, despite not being a joined d-pad, it actually works really well. It's just small enough that my thumb easily rolls to each direction, and I was able to perform as well in Shovel Knight on Switch as I did on XBox One.

I haven't, that's good to know though. I actually quite like the joy-con sticks, they are probably preferable to the questionable Xbox one D-Pad in most cases, I just hope I wish I wasn't using the PS4 instead (it was my only issue with Puyo Puyo Tetris). I want to play the game off-TV so Switch is definitely the platform I'll be buying on tomorrow

T.O.P

Banned
Ready do download this on Switch :)

Re-downloading Generations as i post this, was in the mood to replay probably my favourite Sonic game

Without spoiling the number of zone or any other features, how long are we expecting this game to take to beat? Two to three hours max? Will there any modes to increase replayability like a time attack or something?

Not that it matters - classic Sonic is enough. Just curious.

Longer than 2, marginally shorter than 3K.

Mark1

What time is this available to download? I'm very excited to finally get to play this after a year of news and footage.

Remember reviews are rolling out at 4PM GMT today...

hotcyder

Hi all!

Was debating generating a new thread for this thought, though I may just have the post here for responses instead;

I've never fully played a traditional 2D sonic game - didn't have a mega drive growing up so I'm more familiar with Adventure style Sonic - but I am interested in playing this game to see whether I can enjoy it without having any nostalgia for the product (though I do like the work they've gone to in order to bake in anachronistic elements to make it a love letter to that time frame).

Just wondering whether anyone else is going into this product fresh, and what they're hoping to get from Sonic Mania as a result (whether it's traditional gameplay still holds up, or if it's presentation captures the golden age of late 16-bit/early 32/64-bit systems, or something surprising that grabs your attention)

Mark1

Hi all!

Was debating generating a new thread for this thought, though I may just have the post here for responses instead;

I've never fully played a traditional 2D sonic game - didn't have a mega drive growing up so I'm more familiar with Adventure style Sonic - but I am interested in playing this game to see whether I can enjoy it without having any nostalgia for the product (though I do like the work they've gone to in order to bake in anachronistic elements to make it a love letter to that time frame).

Just wondering whether anyone else is going into this product fresh, and what they're hoping to get from Sonic Mania as a result (whether it's traditional gameplay still holds up, or if it's presentation captures the golden age of late 16-bit/early 32/64-bit systems, or something surprising that grabs your attention)
Think of it as a continuation of the infamous momentmum based gameplay from the early 90s, but on the Sega Saturn and set before any of the 3D entries - acting as if they don't exist.

The original games are held in high regard against Mario's greatest 2D platformers - especially when combining both Sonic the Hedgehog 3 + Sonic & Knuckles. There is nothing on the market which compares to the speed and momentum driven platforming.

People are looking for a sequel to that form of gameplay, building up from those games. Mania is doing just that based on everything we have seen thus far.

Many people will be the same as you, since in the early 90s people were in the mindset to either get a Super Nintendo or Sega Genesis/Megadrive. It wasn't common to find people who had both back then.

If you have a smartphone then I'd honestly recommend giving the Sonic 1, 2 and CD remakes a try. The main programmers of this game are behind these entries - and did a beautiful job recreating the experience in widescreen.

If you do choose to play this game then I think you're in for a treat.

hotcyder

Think of it as a continuation of the infamous momentmum based gameplay from the early 90s, but on the Sega Saturn and set before any of the 3D entries - acting as if they don't exist.

The original games are held in high regard against Mario's greatest 2D platformers - especially when combining both Sonic the Hedgehog 3 + Sonic & Knuckles. There is nothing on the market which compares to the speed and momentum driven platforming.

People are looking for a sequel to that form of gameplay, building up from those games. Mania is doing just that based on everything we have seen thus far.

Many people will be the same as you, since in the early 90s people were in the mindset to either get a Super Nintendo or Sega Genesis/Megadrive. It wasn't common to find people who had both back then.

If you have a smartphone then I'd honestly recommend giving the Sonic 1, 2 and CD remakes a try. The main programmers of this game are behind these entries - and did a beautiful job recreating the experience in widescreen.

If you do choose to play this game then I think you're in for a treat.

Thanks for the response! I've got it pre-ordered (though had to go for the PC version :\) so I'm quite keen to get to it based on your enthusiasm for the originals.

Perona

I'm surprised by how excited for this I am. My only concern is with replayability but at $20 I'm definitely in for the Switch version.

Mark1

If Mania ends up in the 90s then Sega will never fire Taxman and co.

For the record i expect it to be in the 80s too. Hopefully higher up in the range.

But I know myself that the game is going to be great fun.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Thanks for the response! I've got it pre-ordered (though had to go for the PC version :\) so I'm quite keen to get to it based on your enthusiasm for the originals.

If you pre-ordered it on Steam you should've gotten a complementary copy of Sonic 1 to play since they had to delay it a couple of days, could always try that out as well. Should be listed in your library as Sega Classics

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
If Mania ends up in the 90s then Sega will never fire Taxman and co.

For the record i expect it to be in the 80s too. Hopefully higher up in the range.

But I know myself that the game is going to be great fun.
The 80s is already higher than the best reviewed Sonic Team game since the Dreamcast. If Sonic Team can avoid the axe, I think the Mania team is safe.

Dereck

Fuck it, PC version delayed, I might be out here watching everyone else and their dog play this tomorrow, it's all good.

I'll play it eventually.

MetalSlug

I was going to get the PC version, but I'll have to settle for the Switch instead.

Will grab it off Steam later on (For the achievements)

Doosi

Banned
1006206_1334837205237_full.jpg

Top Bottom