• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

Guess Who

Banned
Personally I say GHZ is the only Sonic 1 zone fit to be in this game. All the others in that game are either boring as hell (Marble, Labyrinth) or were basically remade better in later games (Starlight, Spring Yard, Scrap Brain).

Like obviously you'd choose Stardust Speedway over Starlight. Yes, there's differences, but not enough.

Yeah, that's the problem with having more Sonic 1 stages in this game - they'd almost all be redundant with another stage already in Mania in terms of theme and gimmicks. Marble Zone is redundant with (and vastly inferior to)
Lava Reef
, Labyrinth is redundant with
Hydrocity
, Spring Yard is redundant with Studiopolis, Star Light is redundant with Stardust Speedway, and Scrap Brain is redundant with both
Metallic Madness and Titanic Monarch
in different ways. And basically all of these are better stages than their Sonic 1 counterparts to boot.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
This game makes me want to buy Sonic 3 and the Sonic & Knuckles game on the Wii virtual console. I've never played those.

This game makes me want to buy Sonic 3 and the Sonic & Knuckles game on the Wii virtual console. I've never played those.

Yes! play them! Unfortunately I don't know if that's the best way to play them, since the games can be played as a single, complete game (sonic 3 and knuckles) and I don't know if wii vc allows for that..

Not sure what the best way to play them on modern consoles would be, tbh.

My PC collectors edition shipped.... Was that not delayed? I assume the code won't work yet but it seems odd shipping a product that won't work for 2 weeks.

dlauv

I wouldn't mind Spring Yard or Starlight, or even Scrap Brain.

I hope Mania 2, if there is one, brings some zones back. I hope the new-to-old ratio is reversed though. I quite enjoyed the different takes on stages although I think only three or four zones actually improved on their counterparts.

Branduil

Yeah, that's the problem with having more Sonic 1 stages in this game - they'd almost all be redundant with another stage already in Mania in terms of theme and gimmicks. Marble Zone is redundant with (and vastly inferior to)
Lava Reef
, Labyrinth is redundant with
Hydrocity
, Spring Yard is redundant with Studiopolis, Star Light is redundant with Stardust Speedway, and Scrap Brain is redundant with both
Metallic Madness and Titanic Monarch
in different ways. And basically all of these are better stages than their Sonic 1 counterparts to boot.

I want them to dig into the well of Sonic 8-bit in a future Mania game. Obviously you'd need to basically remake everything except the theme, but stages like Bridge Zone and Sky High Zone would be really neat to see.

BTA

I played 1/2/3/CD as a kid (despite being born a little while after 3 came out) thanks to my parents having a Genesis and PC ports. That being said, I never got very far in any of them as a kid despite liking them a lot, and the few times I've tried them when I was older I never made a serious attempt at beating them either.

I sorta want to replay, or more likely half-watch an LP of, some of the earlier games before playing this, if only to get vaguely familiar with more of the stages/music I never experienced. So that I know what to spend time on, does it reference/remix bits of all of those or only a few of them?

...I guess that's technically asking for spoilers, so please keep things vague, but yeah.

RockmanBN

Anyone get a glitch on Emerald 4 where you jump over a ramp on top of a ring container over a bottomless pit? The camera pans out as if you fell out of the stage but the stage continues to play as normal.

13ruce

Banned
Man, Special Stage 5 is sooo tricky. I'm gonna beat it sometime today but is it hard to keep up the pace along with the turns and not get hit D:

What i did was to keep close to the ufo from the beginnig and when i reach mach 2 or 3 i catch em, first i purely focused on rings and orbs but the ufo will be so far ahead that it takes so long to get to it when i did that.

I just took the rings and orbs along the way but i focused on keeping close to the ufo from the start.

So far, the game is a winner in our house. Started it up last night while the wife was finishing up dinner, and we were instantly hit with nostalgia of the music, sounds, and familiar-ish levels.

I didn't even have to ask, she wanted to give it a try herself since she hasn't played a Sonic game since she was a kid.

I played 1/2/3/CD as a kid (despite being born a little while after 3 came out) thanks to my parents having a Genesis and PC ports. That being said, I never got very far in any of them as a kid despite liking them a lot, and the few times I've tried them when I was older I never made a serious attempt at beating them either.

I sorta want to replay, or more likely half-watch an LP of, some of the earlier games before playing this, if only to get vaguely familiar with more of the stages/music I never experienced. So that I know what to spend time on, does it reference/remix bits of all of those or only a few of them?

...I guess that's technically asking for spoilers, so please keep things vague, but yeah.

It features at least 1 level from each of the 5 Genesis era Sonic games, each with re-imagined level designs bosses and new remixes of the songs. There's also numerous easter eggs and nods to other elements of Sonic history and other Sega IPs.

TrueBlue

Oil Ocean Act 2's boss is absolute wank.

That you can't even restart from Act 2 after a game over is an awful decision. I've already cleared a level, being forced to play through it again is the opposite of fun.

It's the only real downside to this game.

Sami+

So you would rather NO re-release then, right? Because that is what you are basically saying. If they cannot use the original tracks, I would rather they make original mixes or re-use the PC version of Sonic 3 & Knuckles tracks instead.

I'd be cool with Tee Lopes making some new tracks, or someone else who knows what they're doing. Those PC tracks are garbage. They sound like some generic 90's platformer and nothing like Sonic.

I'd be cool with Tee Lopes making some new tracks, or someone else who knows what they're doing. Those PC tracks are garbage. They sound like some generic 90's platformer and nothing like Sonic.

Same. I'd be fine with replacing the music if that's what it takes, but not if they use the PC tracks.

cada40fac15951142da58f499516374c.gif

AaronMT86

My only gripe is that the level order seems all over the place. E.g, in Sonic 2, I'm on the ground, caves, in the air and then finally in space (which is a vary vague ordering but some kind of logical ordering nonethless). In mania, it's all over the place.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Well, I got all 7 chaos emeralds on my Sonic & Tails file.

Super Sonic is as fun as ever, I love blazing through the stages in crazy times.

Still not unlocked any of the stuff in the Extras menu though, I'm terribad at Blue Sphere stages.

I'm all the way done with Stardust Speedway and have only gotten two emeralds. I have only found 3 ring entrances to attempt though. Too much time barreling through stages and not exploring.

Only have the gold medal from the first blue sphere stage myself. I have attempted those so many times for the others and always get screwed when the speed maxes out(there really is too much delay on turning at max speed that always gets me)

Also, Sonic games would be so much better with the emeralds actually hidden in the stage routes themselves. Really wish Mania actually broke from tradition here and put clever hiding spots for them on the more difficult routes. (Hell it would help many of the more clueless players better understand how to approach Sonic if there were rewards for trying to attain speed on the top routes!)

muteki

My only gripe is that the level order seems all over the place. E.g, in Sonic 2, I'm on the ground, caves, in the air and then finally in space (which is a vary vague ordering but some kind of logical ordering nonethless). In mania, it's all over the place.
Yeah the "plot" or level transitions are lacking here in comparison to 3+K. Sometimes they were extremely subtle but in mania I've been through a few zones with absolutely nothing between them.

Level design right now feels good but it's very much cd-like and that was the worst game for me when it came to layouts, I do wish a few of the zomes felt more straight forward but i'm still happy with what we have.

Ferr986

I can't decide between Stardust Speedway act 2, Green Hill act 2 (I don't even like the original track that much but the added melody is awesome) or that one for remixed tracks.

About original, I think Studiopolis act 2 for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTqrzwz6c8c

It's just too good.

Level design right now feels good but it's very much cd-like and that was the worst game for me when it came to layouts, I do wish a few of the zomes felt more straight forward but i'm still happy with what we have.

I really don't see the CD comments. CD levels were really short but more vertical designed, and a lot of interconnected spots every now and then to swap tracks and be able to look for time signs. Mania feels more like 3K to me, just (even) bigger.

Top Bottom