• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

Another timeout

1379128663_tumblr_lzofixKhrf1qecvyeo1_500.gif

Kinsei

Banned
The alternate routes in this game are so good. Stuiopolis Act 2 and Flying Battery Act 2 were like completely different stages compared to the first time I went through them.

Failing a blue sphere stage after collecting all the rings really sucks.

mrmickfran

eNK0jnr.gif

I think people might be sleeping on the
Titanic Monarch
themes, though. Super imposing and atmospheric.

Best remixed song is really tough to call...Stardust Speedway Act 1 and 2,
Metallic Madness Act 1 and 2, and Lava Reef Act 2
are all incredible.
I love the
Titanic Monarch
themes.

The name though, lmao

13ruce

Banned
How the hell do you hit the
Lava Reef
Act 1 boss?

when he drills on the spots with stone left the machine overheats and loses armour after a couple of times his side/leg armour is gone and you can hit him.

there must be a trick I'm not getting on the
water level boss
:(

swim against those cannon looking things and then swim in the same position as where they drift off they will hit robotnik.

bounchfx

Uhhhh think I ran into a bug at the end of the Press Garden stage 2. I was fighting the boss dude, but the button with the creatures was right behind him. So i just went and pressed it. It took me forward to
doctor robotnik at a computer terminal
, but I couldn't move. Then two minutes later somehow I got hit by something, lost my coins, and sonic is stuck repeating a damaged slide animation and sound effect. Can't even press pause.

edit: was able to restart the game, it looks like it saved that i beat the level and now I'm starting on SSZ

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
This might legit be the GOTY. I had a huge grin on my face as I played through the first 4 zones. Can't wait to play more after work today. It's actually amazing for so many reasons. Unbelievable job on this by the team.

If Mario or Zelda beat this game for GOTY, this game should at least earn OST of the year.

BRING ON MANIA 2

13ruce

Banned
its sucking up the bombs one, I can't get it
just suck up robotnik you can dispose of the bombs in the water with those small bombs on the machine you use, you can drop em with the spindash/jump button i think after that quickly suck up robotnik otherwise the top button of the 4 letter/symbol buttons but it's one of them or the down/up button i don't remember it for sure but one of those drops those small things that can destroy the bombs

just suck up robotnik you can dispose of the bombs in the water with those small bombs on the machine you use, you can drop em with the spindash/jump button i think after that quickly suck up robotnik otherwise the top button of the 4 letter/symbol buttons but it's one of them or the down/up button i don't remember it for sure but one of those drops those small things that can destroy the bombs

I actually didn't use the torpedo laying at all. I just sucked Eggman up and let go as soon as he took damage, and I never took a bomb hit.

Evilmaus

So I've got two main gripes with
Super Sonic, and they're pretty much the same problems I've always had.

Firstly, the music. As awesome as the super sonic music is, it does get repetitive after a while, and I miss hearing the other fantastic tracks in the game!

Second, arriving to a boss while Super Sonic can be to your detriment. If there's a little cutscenes, your rings keep counting down, and if you run out midway through a fight, you're often fucked unless you finish the fight flawlessly, and it leaves you on zero rings. If you're lucky there will be some extra rings in the fight itself, but that's not usually the case.

Other than that, fucking love it still. Just as much fun as I remember it being in the other games.

Griss

Well, I beat it. Very enjoyable, packed full of nostalgia and well worth the time and money.

That said, I'd hesitate to say it's a great game, and I'd still put Sonic 3&K ahead of it.

My major issues with the game would be:
-It's not brand-new, obviously, which limits the impact it can have
-It doesn't really feel like a new entry with a 'story' as much as the fan remix that it is - this clearly not the 'true sonic 4'
-Some of the bosses are 'cute' or 'clever' rather than being actually fun
-And the biggest one, which is that the level layouts are way too 'non-linear' for me.

There's far too much of the pipes or warps or what have you that move you from one section of a level to an utterly different one. It means you're constantly disoriented and it's hard to get a grasp of the levels even over multiple playthroughs. I never played Sonic CD - was the level design in that game like this? Personally I prefer linear levels with top middle and bottom routes that intersect and overlap at times, but where you always have a fairly strong sense of where you are - at the top or near the bottom etc. Mania just doesn't do that very much. The very last act feels more like you're in a constant special stage or pinball machine than playing a solid level and it felt like the culmination of a lot of the design principles in the game which was to constantly throw various obstacles and springs etc at you and leave you with no idea where you've ended up at the end of those segments.

Other than that, all of my issues with the game are issues with the classic 2D sonic game design and it feels redundant to go over those here, seeing as making the game authentic was their goal, after all. I will say, however, that remembering that the biggest threat in Sonic games was fitting into a space too small for you that you came across off-screen without a chance to react and dying instantly - that is really, really frustrating.

Gowans

Done it. I was trying to be cleaver

Flintty

Ah this looks so amazing. Buying it is a certainty but I can't decide, Switch or Xbox?? It's looking like it might be my first multiplat for Switch.

Griss

Ah this looks so amazing. Buying it is a certainty but I can't decide, Switch or Xbox?? It's looking like it might be my first multiplat for Switch.

It's literally a perfect portable game. If you're ever going to be in a situation where you're travelling with your Switch, Sonic Mania will be a great game to have on hand. Much better in short bursts than the likes of Zelda, doesn't rely on online like Splatoon 2 or Mario Kart.

This that one time where you're not sacrificing anything at all by going Switch but you gain portability, so I think it's an easy choice.

This is my first Sonic game, having a lot of fun, just finished the second act of Chemical Zone, that boss was very clever. There were some areas in Chemical Zone that allowed you to have a sustained high speed for crazy amounts of time, really liked that.

I thought the PS4 Pro version supports 4K. Are all versions the same?

4K output is unique to the PS4 Pro right now, though this really doesn't mean much if you don't actually have a 4K display - all it really means is it can natively show a pixel perfect image regardless of your display's native resolution.

All versions do 1080p@60Hz for the most part (the Switch version has some minor performance issues during special stages, and there are apparently issues relating to the dashboard software on Xbox One).

SMG

eNK0jnr.gif

I think people might be sleeping on the
Titanic Monarch
themes, though. Super imposing and atmospheric.

Best remixed song is really tough to call...Stardust Speedway Act 1 and 2,
Metallic Madness Act 1 and 2, and Lava Reef Act 2
are all incredible.

Sounds so much like the Danganrompa 2 theme. Gives me the creeps.

Flintty

Portability fam

It's literally a perfect portable game. If you're ever going to be in a situation where you're travelling with your Switch, Sonic Mania will be a great game to have on hand. Much better in short bursts than the likes of Zelda, doesn't rely on online like Splatoon 2 or Mario Kart.

This that one time where you're not sacrificing anything at all by going Switch but you gain portability, so I think it's an easy choice.

This is exactly it. I've been away on business at least a week every month this year and my Switch has come with me every time since March, including a trip to the US (Zelda at 40kft over the Atlantic was surreal!). So portability is what's selling it on Switch.

I game share on Xbox with my son though and would love for him to be able to play in his room, plus chievos for Xbox.

But I think portability wins. Wife has claimed the Xbox tonight so I think I might just get it now on Switch!

Just got the Switch CE from Amazon and I heard lots of jumble in the box. I opened it and the everything was out of their holdings so they were flopping around inside the box. Is this normal?

dolabla

Oh man, I hooked up the 8BitDo SFC30 today and played a bit. This thing beats the hell out of the JoyCon Buttons and the Pro Controller's D-Pad. It feels so wrong, yet controls so right.

That's the way I'm going once I have my collector's edition delivered today. I used the 8bitdo SNES/SFC with USF2 and it worked great. Would be awesome if 8bitdo made a Genesis style controller.

jariw

This is exactly it. I've been away on business at least a week every month this year and my Switch has come with me every time since March, including a trip to the US (Zelda at 40kft over the Atlantic was surreal!). So portability is what's selling it on Switch.

I game share on Xbox with my son though and would love for him to be able to play in his room, plus chievos for Xbox.

But I think portability wins. Wife has claimed the Xbox tonight so I think I might just get it now on Switch!

And FWIW, the Switch version is just something like 186 MB so it will not take much of the Switch internal space. It's one of the smallest Switch games out there.

Guess Who

Banned
Is the
level select
cheat code working on any platform but Switch? I tried every button combo I can on PS4 and can't seem to get it to work.

Top Bottom