• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania - Special Stages, Bonus Stages, & Time Attack Shown Off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chao

Super Knuckles should be pink with slightly elevated dreads. While Super Tails should turn silver so his super colouring doesn't conflict with Sonic's. Hopefully Super Knuckles will retain the screen shake glide he had as Hyper Knuckles if Sonic is getting the Super Flash move.

When I was a kid I used to draw Sonic comics, and my version of Super/Hyper Knucles had the spikes very much like Trunks in DBZ, I would love to see him like that, because the way they made him in Sonic 3&K was super lazy, just pulsating clear Pink skin tone.

RRockman

Banned
Speaking of which, the other two characters super forms are confirmed right? Will I finally get to be Fin Funnel Tails again?

NZerker12

When I was a kid I used to draw Sonic comics, and my version of Super/Hyper Knucles had the spikes very much like Trunks in DBZ, I would love to see him like that, because the way they made him in Sonic 3&K was super lazy, just pulsating clear Pink skin tone.

This was how I used to draw Super Knuckles as well, Trunks SSJ hair style suits Knuckles best. As for colour I used to colour Hyper Knuckles with red and green to show his connection to the Master Emerald.

Omfg that blue sphere theme got me waaaay more excited than it should've. I need to go pre-order this tonight. Absolutely worth every penny.

Yeah this is the first time I've seen so much overwhelming positive hype and buzz for any Sonic game ever, since Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles back in the nineties I think.

It's lovely to hear about so many people pre-ordering this and being so excited for it. Sales are going to be through the roof, and Sonic Team have said if this game does well (which it's looking like it most certainly will) then that determines the future of the series.

So reading between the lines, Sonic Mania 2, 3 and so on. Highly likely this will become a series, because the first game seems destined for success.

nowarning

I really can't wait, first time I have been this hyped for a Sonic game since like 1994 or something. I'm gonna suck ass at blue sphere though, played some S3&K recently and I'm so bad at them these days, hah.

WbvxeOb.png

I love the art, but I would prefer a ~new~ design rather than a throwback to the US Sonic 1 Box Art.
Imma let you finish, but this would be one of the greatest box arts of all time. ALL TIME!

The throwback appeal meshes perfectly with the fact that this is aspiring to continue a series from 23 years ago.

JackelZXA

Imma let you finish, but this would be one of the greatest box arts of all time. ALL TIME!

The throwback appeal meshes perfectly with the fact that this is aspiring to continue a series from 23 years ago.

Yeah I mean...the gimmick to Mania is that half the levels are reimagined classics.

I'm guessing the game will lay out like this:
5 Classic Zones with 2 Acts
(One for each game: Green Hill, Chemical Planet, Hydro City, Flying Battery, and Stardust Speedway)
5 New Zones with 2 Acts
(One for each Hard Boiled Heavy: Cop, Emperor, Samurai, Knight, and Magician)
And then some standalone zones of old and new including a Final Zone of some kind.

There's reason to believe some sorts of castle and japanese temple themed levels will be in the game (Between the concept art in the manual and the unfinished bonus levels from CD HD) and in one of their tweets there's a level select icon of some clock gear against a blue sky, maybe a clocktower level for the magician?

That'd be 20+ acts at 10+ zones. About right for the ratios given. (40/60 rough split on new and old, and about as long as s3k)

Oh yeah and I'd be shocked if Hydro City wasn't the Sonic 3 Zone at this point. (I doubt we get more than one full on zone per game)

Please let that physical release be real. God damn son.

They announced the collectors edition a while ago and that's a real physical release, isn't it?

I mean, you need Super Sonic to play the last stage (Doomsday Zone) and the true ending.

I'm pretty sure regardless of the number of emeralds you got, you still automatically turn into Super Sonic for Doomsday Zone...I'll somewhat give it to you regarding the part about the "true ending" (there are a few alternate endings, which differ for each character as well IIRC and they change depending on whenether you got the 7 Chaos Emeralds or the 7 Super Emeralds so there's that as well)

To prove it to you, I just entered the Sound Test cheat code in Sonic 3 and Knuckles as Sonic alone, on the No Save slot in the Save menu (PC version from Sonic and Knuckles collection, FM Synthesizer soundtrack), and selected Doomsday Zone Act 1...without a single emerald collected, he automatically transforms into Super Sonic, which is mandatory for the level

Although I did use a cheat code to get to the Sound Test hidden menu and selected the Doomsday Zone right away, with no emeralds on me as Sonic...I'm still like 95% sure that on an average, cheat-code free playthrough, after you beat Death Egg Zone Act 2, without any Chaos Emeralds on hand or didn't collect at least 7 emeralds...you still get up to Doomsday Zone, and automatically transform into Super Sonic

Guess Who

Banned
I'm pretty sure regardless of the number of emeralds you got, you still automatically turn into Super Sonic for Doomsday Zone...I'll somewhat give it to you regarding the part about the "true ending" (there are a few alternate endings, which differ for each character as well IIRC and they change depending on whenether you got the 7 Chaos Emeralds or the 7 Super Emeralds so there's that as well)

To prove it to you, I just entered the Sound Test cheat code in Sonic 3 and Knuckles as Sonic alone, on the No Save slot in the Save menu (PC version from Sonic and Knuckles collection, FM Synthesizer soundtrack), and selected Doomsday Zone Act 1...without a single emerald collected, he automatically transforms into Super Sonic, which is mandatory for the level

Although I did use a cheat code to get to the Sound Test hidden menu and selected the Doomsday Zone right away, with no emeralds on me as Sonic...I'm still like 95% sure that on an average, cheat-code free playthrough, after you beat Death Egg Zone Act 2, without any Chaos Emeralds on hand or didn't collect at least 7 emeralds...you still get up to Doomsday Zone, and automatically transform into Super Sonic

Nope. If you don't get 7 emeralds, the game ends at Death Egg Act 2. Level select just lets you go to Doomsday anyway because it's the level select.

jman2050

No, without all the chaos/super emeralds the game immediately ends after Death Egg Act 2.

Mark1

Sega is doing what Nintendon't.

This game looks like a proper love letter to the original games, right down to the artstyle.

Sure some of the NSMB games were pretty damn good, but they felt generic and lifeless compared to the 3D entries. NSMB U was the first one to feel like it was altering the art style, but it still wasn't enough of a difference.

Nope. If you don't get 7 emeralds, the game ends at Death Egg Act 2. Level select just lets you go to Doomsday anyway because it's the level select.

No, without all the chaos/super emeralds the game immediately ends after Death Egg Act 2.

....no. No. NO! I REFUSE to believe that! I need to see it to believe it!

I recall CLEARLY what happens if you beat Doomsday Zone as Super Sonic without collecting any emeralds/under 7 emeralds...
the Master Emerald isn't glowing...and the Tornado Tail's is piloting fails to catch it :[

cireza

....no. No. NO! I REFUSE to believe that! I need to see it to believe it!

I recall CLEARLY what happens if you beat Doomsday Zone as Super Sonic without collecting any emeralds/under 7 emeralds...
the Master Emerald isn't glowing...and the Tornado Tail's is piloting fails to catch it :[
It was a dream, son.

For these...I'll give it to you both...at least for the Genesis version.

If there are videos for the Sonic and Knuckles collection version of Sonic 3 and Knuckles (which already has some differences here and there from the Genesis version), then that may be one step closer in convincing me (about Doomsday Zone being exclusive to 7 and above emeralds in Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Sonic and Knuckles collection version)...I think the only TRUE way for me to believe it (Doomsday Zone being exclusive to 7 and above emeralds in Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Sonic and Knuckles collection version) is if I do a full, no emerald/under 7 emerald playthrough in the Sonic and Knuckles collection version of Sonic 3 and Knuckles as either Sonic alone or Sonic and Tails and get up to that part myself and see it...or not see it...

It was a dream, son.

I still refuse to belive "it was a dream"...as I typed out in a previous reply, I can still recall clearly what happens when you beat Doomsday Zone as Super Sonic with no emeralds/under 7 emeralds...

Ferr986

If there are videos for the Sonic and Knuckles collection version of Sonic 3 and Knuckles (which already has some differences here and there from the Genesis version), then that may be one step closer in convincing me (about Doomsday Zone being exclusive to 7 and above emeralds in Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Sonic and Knuckles collection version)...I think the only TRUE way for me to believe it (Doomsday Zone being exclusive to 7 and above emeralds in Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Sonic and Knuckles collection version) is if I do a full, no emerald/under 7 emerald playthrough as either Sonic alone or Sonic and Tails and get up to that part myself and see it...or not see it...

I still refuse to belive "it was a dream"...as I typed out in a previous reply, I can still recall clearly what happens when you beat Doomsday Zone as Super Sonic with no emeralds/under 7 emeralds...

You mean the PC version? I have it, and the endings are the same.

If there are videos for the Sonic and Knuckles collection version of Sonic 3 and Knuckles (which already has some differences here and there from the Genesis version), then that may be one step closer in convincing me (about Doomsday Zone being exclusive to 7 and above emeralds in Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Sonic and Knuckles collection version)...I think the only TRUE way for me to believe it (Doomsday Zone being exclusive to 7 and above emeralds in Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Sonic and Knuckles collection version) is if I do a full, no emerald/under 7 emerald playthrough in the Sonic and Knuckles collection version of Sonic 3 and Knuckles as either Sonic alone or Sonic and Tails and get up to that part myself and see it...or not see it...

nope

https://youtu.be/aX_Q-XVDJx8?t=1h5m26s

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Unfortunately it's a dream or a mismemory (or potentially a rom hack as the furthest stretch? I know some hacks which add new endings to games.). Sonic 3 & Knuckles PC Collection was the first game I owned (along with Croc 2 & Sonic R), I played it to death. And the games have been datamined, played by many, even me myself played them pretty consistently as it was one of the only games I owned for the first year and a half of my gaming 'career'.

I mean it's pretty established Sonic can't turn super without the seven Chaos Emeralds anyway, so for him to be able to do Doosmday without collecting them would be odd to start with.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I mean it's pretty established Sonic can't turn super without the seven Chaos Emeralds anyway, so for him to be able to do Doosmday without collecting them would be odd to start with.
There's only one sort-of-exception to this rule, and I mentioned it earlier: Sonic can still play Doomsday Zone without the emeralds currently in his possession, but he has to have at least collected all of them at some point in the game previously.

As in: if he previously had all 7 of them taken away to the Hidden Palace and upgraded to Super Emeralds in the 2nd half of the game, but he has not yet finished recollecting them, then he can still play Doomsday Zone even though he's not able to transform normally in other stages.

You mean the PC version? I have it, and the endings are the same.

Hmmm...

Well, that's only for Sonic and Knuckles, by itself...then again, I'm starting to feel it doesn't matter if it's Sonic and Knuckles alone or Sonic 3 and Knuckles (both versions of them in Sonic and Knuckles collection)...the endings for both should be the same perhaps...

Similar to what a previous poster on here mentioned though...I think if you get less than 7 emeralds by the time you get up to Mushroom Hill Zone, and enter the Hidden Palace Zone through the special large ring...the Chaos Emeralds that you did manage to collect transform into Super Emeralds without energy...from that point on, to restore energy to the Super Emeralds, you jump on one and play a round of Blue Spheres and if you win, you restore energy to that Super Emerald. You can only restore 1 Super Emerald per special large ring...

If you don't manage to collect all 7 Super Emeralds by the end of Lava Reef Act 2, or even collect less than 7 regular emeralds and never enter the special large rings that appear from Mushroom Hill Zone and onwards (they stop appearing after Lava Reef Act 2 IIRC)...and beat Death Egg Zone Act 2...I believe THAT'S when Super Sonic still transforms, regardless of if he has less than 7 emeralds (regardless of type) in his possession happens...

What is my life anymore haha...my life's been a lie all along lmao.

Now that I think about it, I've probably never beat Sonic 3 and Knuckles in Sonic and Knuckles collection as either Sonic alone or Sonic and Tails together without at least getting some emeralds...or I might have a few times very long ago and forgot about it...so finding out here that Doomsday Zone isn't a mandatory zone for Sonic is essentially new news to me haha...

Thinking about it now, I'm actually kind of glad it's not that way...Sonic being able to just turn into Super Sonic out of the blue without no emeralds at all seems ridiculous to me anyway

PetrCobra

Blue Spheres! Yes! I loved those. Combination of Sonic 1 and the S&K cartridge was a gaming bliss for me.

Also, I have now finally seen how those "catch the UFO" stages from Sonic CD were supposed to be played. I tried to play that game a few times and never understood the meaning of these.

RagnarokX

Sega is doing what Nintendon't.

This game looks like a proper love letter to the original games, right down to the artstyle.

Sure some of the NSMB games were pretty damn good, but they felt generic and lifeless compared to the 3D entries. NSMB U was the first one to feel like it was altering the art style, but it still wasn't enough of a difference.

More like Sonic fans do what Nintendo never stopped doing. NSMBWii and NSMBU aren't just pretty damn good, they're the best 2D Mario has ever been. Building off a solid classic foundation and taking things to higher heights.

The only ugly entry in the series is NSMBWii, NSMBDS treads Super Mario Bros All-Stars artstyle territory, and NSMBU is downright pretty.

Could this mean a renaissance for 2D gaming?

What other games we love could get the same treatment?

Super Mario World Mania?
Legend of Zelda Mania?

Nintendo didn't stop making 2D Mario or Zelda games, so no. You got the NSMB games, 2 or 3 of which are the best damn 2D Marios ever made, and you got Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, A Link Between Worlds, Four Swords Anniversary Edition, and TriForce Heroes. Spirit Tracks and ALBW are great, and I had a great time with TFH.

Unfortunately it's a dream or a mismemory (or potentially a rom hack as the furthest stretch? I know some hacks which add new endings to games.). Sonic 3 & Knuckles PC Collection was the first game I owned (along with Croc 2 & Sonic R), I played it to death. And the games have been datamined, played by many, even me myself played them pretty consistently as it was one of the only games I owned for the first year and a half of my gaming 'career'.

(or potentially a rom hack as the furthest stretch?

Heh, I can assure you it was no ROM hack! I'll accept it as a "mismemory", as I (unofficially) admit in my previous reply before this one (It's when I said something like "my life is a lie lmao")

so for him to be able to do Doosmday without collecting them would be odd to start with.

In my previous reply before this one, I also typed something similar to that haha

There's only one sort-of-exception to this rule, and I mentioned it earlier: Sonic can still play Doomsday Zone without the emeralds currently in his possession, but he has to have at least collected all of them at some point in the game previously.

As in: if he previously had all 7 of them taken away to the Hidden Palace and upgraded to Super Emeralds in the 2nd half of the game, but he has not yet finished recollecting them, then he can still play Doomsday Zone even though he's not able to transform normally in other stages.

In my previous reply before this one, I typed something similar...but not quite the same...if you're interested, try and read up what I typed that tries to explain why Sonic is still able to transform into Super Sonic, even if he has less than 7 of either type of emerald (chaos or super)

Mark1

More like Sonic fans do what Nintendo never stopped doing. NSMBWii and NSMBU aren't just pretty damn good, they're the best 2D Mario has ever been. Building off a solid classic foundation and taking things to higher heights.

The only ugly entry in the series is NSMBWii, NSMBDS treads Super Mario Bros All-Stars artstyle territory, and NSMBU is downright pretty.

Nintendo didn't stop making 2D Mario or Zelda games, so no. You got the NSMB games, 2 or 3 of which are the best damn 2D Marios ever made, and you got Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, A Link Between Worlds, Four Swords Anniversary Edition, and TriForce Heroes. Spirit Tracks and ALBW are great, and I had a great time with TFH.
Oh no I'm not downplaying how good the games are. I consider NSMB U one of the best 2D platformers, competing against SMB3, SMW as well as Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

Heh, I can assure you it was no ROM hack! I'll accept it as a "mismemory", as I (unofficially) admit in my previous reply before this one (It's when I said something like "my life is a lie lmao")

In my previous reply before this one, I also typed something similar to that haha

In my previous reply before this one, I typed something similar...but not quite the same...if you're interested, try and read up what I typed that tries to explain why Sonic is still able to transform into Super Sonic, even if he has less than 7 of either type of emerald (chaos or super)

I don't know if someone mentioned it already but "bad" ending with no emeralds does show tails not catching the master emerald.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSoPxSe-WDI

But as mentioned this is without the Supersonic level. The last boss does have the same music in a similar setting but you aren't flying through space and are instead on a long platform that somehow exists in space.

RagnarokX

Oh no I'm not downplaying how good the games are. I consider NSMB U one of the best 2D platformers, competing against SMB3, SMW as well as Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

One thing I'd like to point out is that classic Sonic has always been more detailed than 2D Mario. Check out this compilation of visual storytelling through changes in backgrounds I made for Sonic 3:

Rxk5k1W.png

To be fair, the other Sonic games don't do this. The only 2D Mario games to attempt something like this are NSMB2 and NSMBU.

NSMB2:
NFRPanE.jpg

NSMBU:
CJHiJTn.jpg

This is the most detailed 2D Mario has ever been. Sonic 3 still does it better, but Mario games have way more levels than Sonic games.

One thing I'd like to point out is that classic Sonic has always been more detailed than 2D Mario. Check out this compilation of visual storytelling through changes in backgrounds I made for Sonic 3:

To be fair, the other Sonic games don't do this.

Death Egg BG is especially good. Love that death star vibe.

cireza

One thing I'd like to point out is that classic Sonic has always been more detailed than 2D Mario. Check out this compilation of visual storytelling through changes in backgrounds I made for Sonic 3
Story telling in Sonic 3 & Knuckles is great. It does not use a single word, still the story is there and has its moments.

MrBadger

Lava Reef is by far the best level as far as visual storytelling goes, the way the Death Egg gets closer and closer as you progress through the stage, until the boss fight is right underneath it, and the following level shows it power up and take off. And the progression underground leading up to Hidden Palace is great too. An area you've previously accessed through bonus rings suddenly gets way more context in the world.

I'm expecting Mania's stages to attempt similar environmental storytelling, but the classic zones will probably stop the entire world from coming together in a meaningful way like S&K

Does anyone know if they will have the multiplayer mode where you race against each other through levels like in Sonic 2?!

I fucking loved that mode

Mr Swine

Banned
Story telling in Sonic 3 & Knuckles is great. It does not use a single word, still the story is there and has its moments.

Shows how desperate Eggman is trying to find the emeralds in Sonic 3 and then mad dash trying to find the hidden Palace and the Master Emerald in 3&K.

I wonder if Sonic Mania will retcon the Hidden Palace zone that it's inside the mountain or outside like it is after SA

Raitaro

I'd be over the moon if that physical release ends up being real...please SEGA!

Perfection.

Couldn't it be in reverse and without the "M", seeing as Mania comes above "K" and is already represented?

So, reading from right to left: Sonic Mania |OT| K 3 2 1

Edit: an OT with Manic (i.e. Sonic's brother in some of the comics I believe) in it could also be fitting perhaps, like: Sonic Mania |OT| Sonic fans go Manic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom