• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razzer

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #69[/B]

Song: Scrap Brain Zone
Game: Sonic the Hedgehog (8-bit)
Composer: Yuzo Koshiro

This is a pretty fun theme, the melody is easy to listen to, and the sound chip is actually quite pleasant, better than most 8-bit ones I've heard I dare say. Also has a last level vibe to it, was Scrap Brain the final level in this version as well?

qq more

This is a pretty fun theme, the melody is easy to listen to, and the sound chip is actually quite pleasant, better than most 8-bit ones I've heard I dare say. Also has a last level vibe to it, was Scrap Brain the final level in this version as well?

It was the second to final level. Sky Base is the final level of the game. Interesting enough, Sky Base Act 1 uses Scrap Brain's theme for some reason.

Tricon.gif

Rikkun

I've just seen after 15 years Super Mario Bros. the movie, and I wondered why ve never got something like that from Sega. I mean, it would be fun to have a Sonic movie with real people.

qq more

Even though I don't like the fan film itself... I do think the production values are at least pretty good for a fan film, to be honest. So there's that I guess!

Rikkun

Even though I don't like the fan film itself... I do think the production values are at least pretty good for a fan film, to be honest. So there's that I guess!

Yeah I was expecting another weirdo running in a fur suit around the neighbourhood actually.

TheOGB

Banned
That's so bad

That's sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad

"Look, there goes Sonic the Hedgehog!" *stares at camera*
*HORROR*

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm not even going to begin with everything wrong with those FF6 iOS shots. Holy guacamole. Sciz knows what I'm talking about.

Sonic should never, ever have a live-action movie.
It doesn't even lend itself to it. Sonic's akin to Felix the Cat and Mickey Mouse. Part of the quirk of the character was, and is, his cartoonish personality with a lot of his clever animations. And even when you plunk a lot of people into a scenario with Sonic the Hedgehog, you get them talking about the President or traipsing through a field with a princess.

No thanks.

You should replace that link with this, it's the only way anyone should ever watch that.
Ah, yes. I'm sorry that I subjected people to the raw version. :/

WHY, OH WHY would they get Jaleel White back?
You forget. A lot of people wanted Jaleel White to voice Classic Sonic in Generations before that game came out for sentimental reasons.

Some people within this very thread until we realized that maybe Classic Sonic benefitted a lot by not being voiced at all. It took the "show don't tell" philosophy to a pleasant height, especially with Classic Sonic's scene with Amy outside of Chemical Plant.

You forget. A lot of people wanted Jaleel White to voice Classic Sonic in Generations before that game came out for sentimental reasons.

Some people within this very thread until we realized that maybe Classic Sonic benefitted a lot by not being voiced at all. It took the "show don't tell" philosophy to a pleasant height, especially with Classic Sonic's scene with Amy outside of Chemical Plant.

Yeah, after playing through the game, I think we were all better off without Jaleel.

Sciz

I'm not even going to begin with everything wrong with those FF6 iOS shots. Holy guacamole. Sciz knows what I'm talking about.

I can't look away. It's a perfect storm of touched-up, upscaled SNES assets with My First Photoshop Tutorial gradients and textures applied. Where they actually did redraw art, it's completely devoid of detail. And then they didn't bother touching up the tiling issues that were artifacts of 16-bit memory limitations. It's the equivalent of running a high res texture pack in an N64 emulator, and looks just as freakish as those do.

Whoever's greenlighting projects at Square these last few years has no idea why anyone ever liked the company.

Part of me wants to laugh inside that FF6 thread. They finally got the remake they all wanted. >:D

To borrow a line from the one game they've published this gen that was universally liked: I never asked for this.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I think the filters and shading are all wrong. Everything looks as though it takes place during the day when the original scene was at night. They lost everything and anything that added to the mood and atmosphere in that game simply by skimping and changing the visuals. It wasn't perfect back then because there were tiling issues, but those were certainly relatively minor in respect to what the intro accomplished in terms of its mood.

It isn't just the music and dialogue that make the atmosphere, or even a game for that matter. A lot of it had to do with the colours used, the shades used, and the quality of the backgrounds and foregrounds in relation to telling the story. Again, it goes with the "show me, don't tell me" sort of philosophy I was talking about when I referred back to Generations there. I know that's something SE's been focusing on for a while now, but seeing this "Tell me, don't show me" stance retroactively (but very likely unknowingly) added to their older games is disheartening.

"One chili dog feast a day!"

...bleh! (not to the chili dog feast, I mean; that sounds fucking amazing)
Oh wow, now I'm wondering how they'd actually write Classic Sonic if he were voiced.

qq more

that FF6 iOS remake is still fugly and there's nothing that will change my mind

also i like jaleel white as sonic, but at the same time i really like how classic sonic was mute in Generations... i sort of see it as a throwback to the hardware limitations where sonic couldn't speak in the 16bit era

Tizoc

The Super Mario Bros. movie sounded like someone had a fanfic or movie plot, and they decided to slap the Super Mario Bros. themes on it.
'Humans evolving from reptiles' doesn't sound like a bad sci fi concept IMO, but with this movie, it's just plain 'wut?'
I believe one of the Nintendo heads likes that movie, but I forgot who.

Santa hats are passé. All about cracker hats this year.

i sort of see it as a throwback to the hardware limitations where sonic couldn't speak in the 16bit era

Except for the bit where classic Tails talks :v

I guess you kinda need a classic character to talk to the rest for narrative purposes though.

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #70
Remix Spotlight!

Song: Spinball Theme
Album: Virtual Sonic
Composed and Arranged by: Howard Drossin

There was a brief period in the mid-90s when STI's composers had the freedom to produce arrangement albums for whatever reason. They're a bit hit and miss, but the hits are very, very good. Here we have a full blown two-and-a-half minute extension of a seven second title screen jingle Drossin threw together in an evening after finding out slightly too late that Sega didn't own the Sonic 1 and 2 theme. It straddles a line somewhere between game show opening tune and old school rock jam and I can't get enough of it. Drossin's guitars are always excellent in their own right, but the addition of some hot electric organ and even decently mixed synth brass elevates this above most of the rest of his work. It's just a shame he couldn't get this sort of quality out of the Genesis.

There's also an earlier version of this mix on the Sonic Boom! album.

To each their own, I suppose.

zeemumu

I wish Sonic the Fighters could be tweaked to be a conventional fighter. Their hearts were in the right place but the execution was poor.

that's how i honestly see it lol

The problem is that Sega hasn't been writing silent characters well. They write the character like they should be talking, but can't for some reason.

In Generations HD it was okay, since they had the two Tails gab on, and Classic Sonic just nod to whatever Modern Sonic says. It was a bit odd how even Modern Sonic stayed silent during the character freedom animations, even though there were different lines for Classic and Modern. But Classic Sonic wasn't S3&K silent in Generations, it was like he was weirdly mute. I would've taken Jaleel over that, provided he didn't talk much still. (Definitely above pitch-bent Modern Sonic samples, weird trailer overdubbing exclusive.)

It was worse in Generations 3DS, where it would switch to Classic Sonic image exclaiming "...!" or "♪". Now that really framed how weird it was.

Night of the Werehog also had several "I WISH I COULD TALK RIGHT NOW" moments. (Although rewatching it, I kind of wish they'd do more like it.)

On an unrelated note, The Barklizard.

Tizoc

It is very good. Issue is getting word of mouth out, really.

Case in point: this trailer is actually two weeks old; I should've brought it up back then. I mean, I did in the Indie games thread, but should've done it here too!

Say have the team ever considred cutting down on the length of stages, or rather splitting them into Acts like the old Sonic games? I don't really lik playing traditional 2D platformers stages that last more than 5 minutes. I blame Mario 3D Land for that...sorta.

Refyref

It is very good. Issue is getting word of mouth out, really.

Case in point: this trailer is actually two weeks old; I should've brought it up back then. I mean, I did in the Indie games thread, but should've done it here too!

So I played the demo, as both characters, and liked it a lot. Is there a thread about it on GAF?

Say have the team ever considred cutting down on the length of stages, or rather splitting them into Acts like the old Sonic games? I don't really lik playing traditional 2D platformers stages that last more than 5 minutes. I blame Mario 3D Land for that...sorta.

I don't think that would be a good idea. The health system is definitely built for big levels rather than small ones.

qq more

I'm surprised at the amount of defense that FFVI iOS port is actually getting. It's one thing to like how it looks (and I won't hold against people for that), but is bothers me that they think there's something wrong with people thinking it looks crap. Even when you explain WHY you think it doesn't look good, people will just assume it's nostalgia or just ignore your post all together.

Sorry for bringing this up here, but I am just honestly very annoyed right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom