• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude, Sonic 2k6 2D looks awesome. How do I play it?

Shouldn't it be obvious? :p There's a download in the description. Settings.exe shows you the controls, and lets you set up video options. Pick Trial Mode under Single Player when you start to select a level.

There's a big nasty text dump at the start, which I apologize for. I did it to absolve some of my own guilt and explain my reasoning for what is a Sonic 2006 fangame. It also explains what happened to the game and why it took me four years to get it released, and why it's not quite as finished as it should be (which is fitting, really, considering the source material).

Take it slow in White Acropolis Part 1. It's real easy to go fast, but you're super vulnerable. If you can find the invincibility power-up at the start, it helps a lot.

Silver has a shield that will block your attacks that'll eventually come down, leaving him vulnerable. However, there's ways to get past his shield.

S-Ranking Sand Oasis might seem impossible, but it's totally doable. If you can manage that, you've probably mastered the game. :p

hutna

i posted a sort of Sonic epiphany to my blog: check it out if you want.

The post is specifically about the new Sonic CD release on PSN/XBL/iOS/etc.

Here is a little excerpt:

I found getting the good ending requires completing certain otherwise hidden objectives in each stage. I restarted the game from the beginning and began exploring the stages in search for the paths that would allow me to complete the secret objectives, and the game became something all together new.

The game became really fun after this. What are the other Sonic games that you would recommend me play if this is what I like in a Sonic game (exploration, secret objectives, etc)?

NTom64

the synth in at dawn makes my brain so happy.

Man, this tune has always pretty much represented 3D Sonic to me. I mean, it sounds like something out of the classic games, just brought up to modern day standards. So good.

So disappointing that they didn't include it in Generations :/

The game became really fun after this. What are the other Sonic games that you would recommend me play if this is what I like in a Sonic game (exploration, secret objectives, etc)?

Sonic 3 has a lot of paths and secret areas, but not anything that changes the outcome like cd, unless you count getting all the emeralds.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm all for being one of the guys, but aw. :/

Gravijah said:
the synth in at dawn makes my brain so happy.
This will probably one of the only times we agree on something that relates to synth--and Sonic synth at that! So disappointed it wasn't in Generations.

Speaking of Sonic Chronicles, even its main theme is horrendous. How hard is it to find better samples for this sort of thing? Gaw!

Sciz

Sonic CD is something of a special case in the series as far as exploration-based objectives go, but you should probably give Sonic 3 & Knuckles a try just for the sheer number of alternate routes and hidden item caches it features.

OMG Aero

This will probably one of the only times we agree on something that relates to synth--and Sonic synth at that! So disappointed it wasn't in Generations.
Yeah, it would have been neat if they used both of the music tracks from that stage like Emerald Coast on 3DS does.
Maybe have Modern Sonic's stage the same as it is now but have Classic Sonic's level be set in the dawn section and have that music.

Mr Swine

Banned
So is it me or does Sonic seem to struggle to keep up against Eggman in his latest Egg-O-Matic from Sonic Unleashed? Makes me wonder why Eggman doesn't use his speed advantage against the Blue Blur

Also where in the Sonic Time line is Sonic CD placed, is it even canon?

So is it me or does Sonic seem to struggle to keep up against Eggman in his latest Egg-O-Matic from Sonic Unleashed? Makes me wonder why Eggman doesn't use his speed advantage against the Blue Blur

At the end of both Sonic 2 and S&K, Eggman outruns Sonic on foot.

Metal Sonic was built supposedly to match Sonic's abilities 1:1, but Sonic still manages to win.

Sonic CD was originally supposed to release between Sonic 1 and Sonic 2, but Sega pushed it back to fill the gap between Sonic 2 and Sonic 3.

According to promos for Christian Whitehead's Retro Engine remake of Sonic CD, they're placing it after Sonic 3 chronologically, given they were billing it as "the prequel to Sonic 4". This is likely because Sonic 4 Episode 2 features the return of Metal Sonic (and there have been one or two vague hints that S4E2 may even feature time travel).

Sciz

Fanon has it between 1 and 2, largely on account of the lack of Tails and because it can't go between 2 and 3&K. In practice it occurs at some indeterminate time prior to SA1, which has a brief throwback to it in Amy's story.

At the end of both Sonic 2 and S&K, Eggman outruns Sonic on foot.

Metal Sonic was built supposedly to match Sonic's abilities 1:1, but Sonic still manages to win.

Sonic CD was originally supposed to release between Sonic 1 and Sonic 2, but Sega pushed it back to fill the gap between Sonic 2 and Sonic 3.

According to promos for Christian Whitehead's Retro Engine remake of Sonic CD, they're placing it after Sonic 3 chronologically, given they were billing it as "the prequel to Sonic 4". This is likely because Sonic 4 Episode 2 features the return of Metal Sonic (and there have been one or two vague hints that S4E2 may even feature time travel).
According to Sega, the game is still just sort of floating around in the timeline near the Genesis games, as it always has been. The S4E2 thing was referring to Metal Sonic.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
After FFXIII-2, I've had enough of time travel and talk of timelines. :(

Guys, we died.
Now this thread can battle against the Sonic Generations thread in terms of community discussion! :D

OMG Aero said:
Yeah, it would have been neat if they used both of the music tracks from that stage like Emerald Coast on 3DS does.
Maybe have Modern Sonic's stage the same as it is now but have Classic Sonic's level be set in the dawn section and have that music.
This would have been a smart idea, actually. Instead of taking an alternate path within the same level--and it seems like both Sonics do this for all the stages--just have Classic Sonic do one half and Modern Sonic do the other. It would've been a nice dynamic.

Sciz

Getting banished to the moon Community isn't as bad as it used to be. I've had to go all the way to the mythical second page to find some topics recently.

So, I've noticed no one appears to have bought Generations 3DS because I've only streetpassed with one person (I usually get 1-2 a day).

That's... pretty terrible.

Emitan

So, I've noticed no one appears to have bought Generations 3DS because I've only streetpassed with one person (I usually get 1-2 a day).

That's... pretty terrible.

All the cool people bought Generations on PC. I might "double dip" and get the 3DS version.

qq more

The very fact Classic Sonic gets a forced homing attack + most of his levels are really ports of the respective levels is a massive turn off to me. (Not to mention the non-ported levels are apparently shit). I'll probably still get it, but when it's on a big sale. 15 dollars or less.

qq more

I have mixed feeling about Dimps, right now I mostly think their work sucks. Pocket Adventure, Advance 1 and 3 were decent. Advance 2 was shit. Rush was meh. Rush Adventure was worse. Colors DS was actually decent but then Sonic 4... let's not get into that.

I enjoyed the Rush games.

I found myself liking the Modern Sonic portions of Gens3DS more than the Classic Sonic. I feel like maybe Dimps should just stick with what they know - balls to the wall Sonic, not 2D Genesis Sonic.

Also, why the hell was Silver in Tropical Resort? I think for some reason that pissed me off more than anything else in the game. (Though now that I think of it, he was in the DS version... Whatever, I still don't like it)

TheOGB

Banned
jacknicholsonyes.gif

I enjoyed the Rush games.

I found myself liking the Modern Sonic portions of Gens3DS more than the Classic Sonic. I feel like maybe Dimps should just stick with what they know - balls to the wall Sonic, not 2D Genesis Sonic.
Played the 3DS version again today and I do enjoy Modern Sonic, basically because it's Rush. I liked Rush; it's kinda herpaderp fundamentally, but it can be fun. It's about the same with Gens3DS.

Still never got to play Classic.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yesssssssss...

Been waiting for this for a long time, ladies and gentlemen.

If you get Generations 3DS, be sure to get it on sale. It's rather bad imo.
I concur. I think a few of us in the thread got it at launch, and while we agreed that the meat is in multiplayer and missions, the main game isn't that great outside of Classic Sonic's physics.

The level design is boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom