• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much was whatever they were gonna buy? I always thought that profiting from livecasting video games was illegal.

I think it was implied that best case scenario of "get everything we want" was about $400 and they said they did not think they'd even reach that goal.

They hit over $1000 long before they even started the stream.

The leftover money has gone to buying KFJ a copy of FF13-2 to make a LP with, and assembling "THE GIGA-QUAD", which is their grand plan to Let's Play Four Swords Adventures. It sounds like they even want to capture the Gameboy output, which probably means eight five gamecubes and four gameboy players and a ridiculous mess of cables and capture hardware.

I think they vowed on stream that the money would only go towards videos they wanted to produce. I know KFJ specifically said he put in a rule that the money could never be used for alcohol.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
oh my god...
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Well, I needed a pick-me-up since I'll be running on 1 hour of sleep all day, and this is it. LOL.

OMG Aero

I like that you can tell Pokecapn recorded that LP back in like November or December 'cause it still has the old Xbox dashboard.
Well with SA's three month rule it'd suck if it wasn't a blind run or if he had to wait three months to play the game.

Gravijah

modern sonic gameplay is just so good. rooftop run modern might just be one of the best stages in the entire series. ALL I FEEL IS JOY.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
modern sonic gameplay is just so good. rooftop run modern might just be one of the best stages in the entire series. ALL I FEEL IS JOY.
That stage makes me feel so happy. Especially when you're grinding down the rail from the top of the clock tower; it makes me exclaim, "wow!" every time.

AND THE MUSICCCC!!!!! I put it on repeat when I drive home from school.
Well, I don't put it on repeat, but it's one of the first themes I try to listen to when I get into the car on my way to or from school. :3

Kokonoe said:
Oh God... :lol

I am loving all of these mods. They're helping me get through my week.

Emitan

That stage makes me feel so happy. Especially when you're grinding down the rail from the top of the clock tower; it makes me exclaim, "wow!" every time.

Well, I don't put it on repeat, but it's one of the first themes I try to listen to when I get into the car on my way to or from school. :3

Oh God... :lol

I am loving all of these mods. They're helping me get through my week.

I don't listen the WHOLE way. That's what city escape is for!

Christopher

So I'm playing Sonic Unleashed that I bought against my better judgement just to say that I've play all the mainline Sonic games.

Thoughts:

- The intro was pretty amazing I loved the great set up and start off to the game, really hypes you up.

- The hubs are okay...they feel a bit closrophobic where as in Sonic Adventure you really had enough room to bounce around.

- what happened to double tapping x to home attack a different button wtf?

- The Sonic gameplay is pretty awesome although coming from generations I keep trying to do tricks when coming out of rings :p

- I tried to go into it with an open mind but god the Warehog levels are AWFUL...oh my god why not make it optional like Sonic Adventure, and you can choose if you want to be tourted or not...so awful.

- Chip and the Saturday morning cartoon vibe of the game...it feels so kiddy and while I don't mind it seems like it aimed for 5 year olds.

TheOGB

Banned
I can agree with that last point to an extent. Concerning the writing and overall tone, Colors seemed to find a good balance (like it did in every other way :p). Unleashed was a bit too kiddy at times and still too dramatic at others, and Generations was either nostalgia jokes or just ugh (like watching an episode of Johnny Test after they started doing them in Flash, right down to calling out their own clichés, and not in an interesting way; see cutscene after Egg Dragoon) and only once being somewhere inbetween (bonus scene).

Whatever comes next I hope they look more closely at Colors and its improvements to the formula instead of just ignoring it and only looking at Generations.

Fact: Colors' story was worse thanks to

1) Baldy McNose Hair
2) The BBBB
3) Other fucking shit jokes

Even chip was funnier. If it weren't for the PA announcements, I'd put the writing in colors even lower than SA2/06

1) Baldy McNose Hair
2) The BBBB

Even chip was funnier. If it weren't for the PA announcements, I'd put the writing in colors even lower than SA2/06

Eh, I dunno. Colors' writing reminded me a bit of AoStH. Which, I mean, hey, newsflash: AoStH really wasn't that good. At least, I never thought so as a kid. I appreciate it a bit more now that I'm older, but that is most likely just nostalgia speaking. When it was current, I always thought the jokes were really dumb and the animation was super low budget.

A lot of Colors' humor is pretty similar if you really stop and look at it, and once I realized this fact, I came to appreciate the tangential nostalgia it imparted. Cubot and Orbot follow in a long line of comic-relief duos like Scratch and Grounder, Rocksteady and Bebop, Bulk and Skull, so on and so forth. All it was missing was Eggman calling his lackeys "Dumbots".

It's why I was so let down by Generations, because Generations dedicates all of this energy to what essentially boils down to them repeating the same sentence over and over again: "Stop the bad guy because he's making bad things happen!"

They would've been better off not bothering with a story at all.

Zen

Banned

1) Baldy McNose Hair
2) The BBBB

The individual lines in Colors were generally not much to write home about, sure, but it had a fun light hearted premise that also managed to avoid being completely generic. That's really my main issue with Generations, sure the writing isn't so kiddy, but there's really not much soul there at all, and what is there is so sparse and disconnected, and worst of all outright bland.

What really mattered was the tone the whole adventure set, and that combined with the PA made things pretty enjoyable. Generations can't even lay claim to having a tone, because it's so devoid of personality that it might as well be a mid 90's forgotten Sonic fangame made with the pre games factory engine. I'd rate Colors writting over 06 easily because it isn't so fundamental and ingrained to the entire product, that's also ignoring the fact that it's better, even if it's not what everyone wants.
\
I'd still take Colors and mayyybe even 06 writting over what we got in Generations, which as balnd and empty as the colorless world the game was based in.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh you guys; I liked Colours' writing. I'm not into Sonic games for Serious Business and Undertones, so the humour and light-heartedness--even while silly--is appreciated. As I've noted before in the Generations thread, I had a problem with Generations' writing being rather barebones in comparison... even with the same writers involved.

As for Chip, well... let's not forget that much of the audience for Sonic games are kids. A few of the kids I tutored liked Chip since they reminded them of various characters they see in CG films. I don't really see the problem with him. His behaviour made me smile in a "well, that's a little cute" sort of way. I really enjoyed how stylized the characters were in Unleashed as opposed to photorealistic/approaching photorealistic like how the previous games tried to do it. It gave the world a little bit of flavour.

Sega1991 said:
Eh, I dunno. Colors' writing reminded me a bit of AoStH. Which, I mean, hey, newsflash: AoStH really wasn't that good. At least, I never thought so as a kid. I appreciate it a bit more now that I'm older, but that is most likely just nostalgia speaking. When it was current, I always thought the jokes were really dumb and the animation was super low budget.

A lot of Colors' humor is pretty similar if you really stop and look at it, and once I realized this fact, I came to appreciate the tangential nostalgia it imparted. Cubot and Orbot follow in a long line of comic-relief duos like Scratch and Grounder, Rocksteady and Bebop, Bulk and Skull, so on and so forth. All it was missing was Eggman calling his lackeys "Dumbots".
When you put it that way, I can't help but to think that it's downright adorable. :3

OMG Aero

The Vector challenge isn't that bad if you just stand in front of him and homing attack the note as soon as possible instead of running over to where it's going to land.

qq more

1) Baldy McNose Hair
2) The BBBB

06? Ehhh, I wouldn't go that far...

I'd pick really embarrassing kiddy cutscenes over melodramatic fanfic-esque cutscenes.

Zen

Banned
Something must be wrong when I'm more excited for the Unleashed levels ports than the thought of replaying the levels in Generations itself. Does anyone else feel like the 3D level in generations were simplified in comparison to Colors and Unleashed?

Sciz

Something must be wrong when I'm more excited for the Unleashed levels ports than the thought of replaying the levels in Generations itself. Does anyone else feel like the 3D level in generations were simplified in comparison to Colors and Unleashed?

Not at all. Unleashed was a bit twitchier but pretty much linear the whole way through, and Colors barely had any complexity in 3D to begin with.

Something really interesting going on over Sonic Retro. A video of what looks like the prototype of Sonic 1 has surfaced.

Watch.

Although this was met with immediate skepticism, it appears that Yuji Naka thinks that it's the real deal:
Ashthedragon said:
Ok, a friend of mine who studies japanese translated what Naka said to me:

"This is a early in development Sonic 1 version, in which I worked on making the multiple scrolls.I Wonder if the rocks and the palmtrees were in those locations. Where did this ROM come from? Ah, the good old days..."

Andrew75 said:
I also just spoke with Kazuyuki Hoshino, He says that Naka thinks its the real deal.

They are trying to get a rom dump at the moment. Hopefully something good will come of this.

Source.

qq more

Too many paralax sprites to be real. Is it actually possible to have 2 background paralaxes to overlap each other? (The brown rock and the mountains)

It IS a cool find though.

Too many paralax sprites to be real. Is it actually possible to have 2 background paralaxes to overlap each other? (The brown rock and the mountains)

It IS a cool find though.

"This is a early in development Sonic 1 version, in which I worked on making the multiple scrolls.I Wonder if the rocks and the palmtrees were in those locations. Where did this ROM come from? Ah, the good old days..."

This is from Naka himself, so I assume they could do that. And even if this isn't the real deal, it's obviously close enough to it for Naka.

TheOGB

Banned
The individual lines in Colors were generally not much to write home about, sure, but it had a fun light hearted premise that also managed to avoid being completely generic. That's really my main issue with Generations, sure the writing isn't so kiddy, but there's really not much soul there at all, and what is there is so sparse and disconnected, and worst of all outright bland.

What really mattered was the tone the whole adventure set, and that combined with the PA made things pretty enjoyable. Generations can't even lay claim to having a tone, because it's so devoid of personality that it might as well be a mid 90's forgotten Sonic fangame made with the pre games factory engine. I'd rate Colors writting over 06 easily because it isn't so fundamental and ingrained to the entire product, that's also ignoring the fact that it's better, even if it's not what everyone wants.
\
I'd still take Colors and mayyybe even 06 writting over what we got in Generations, which as balnd and empty as the colorless world the game was based in.
That's pretty much what I meant.

I am very interested in seeing more of that supposed beta. Naka says it looks familiar, eh?

J@hranimo

Banned
Interesting. They were experimenting with that background/foreground object thing in Sonic 1 to begin with. I remember that was in Sonic CD. I like this idle pose better than the one we have now.

Not totally convinced on the validity of the video but Naka chiming in on it is kinda neat.

Edit: Holy shit is that Generations mod glorious

The foreground scrolling was in Sonic 1, though. Star Light Zone had scaffolding pass by in the foreground - I remember this clearly, and a Google Image search corroborated that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom