• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

J@hranimo

Banned
If you actually played the game you wouldn't think so :p It's honestly not a very good or fun game, and the tethering mechanic is nothing but a pain in the ass. Level design isn't all that great either, tbh. At least it had nice graphics going for it.

I have played the game before, I just never saw a playthrough/LP of it. It is a lot of fun and I should probably go ahead and beat it lol. Like you and Sega1991 said the levels are on the meh side as far as layouts, but with how chaotic the game can get it's more so a good thing.

Oh man the Knuckles Chaotix video is hilarious.
I lost it when they kept having to restart the game and did their intro over and over again.

Same here! Hilarious first impression.

Anth0ny

Because having all the videos available at once would make for a shitty SA thread and I'm pretty sure it's against the rules to just post a video dump anyway.

On the topic of Sonic let's plays there is another great one going on right now if anyone wants more to watch.
For Sonic's anniversary two guys are going through all the major Sonic games from Sonic 1 to Generations along with some side games along the way.

Here are the games they have already done:
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic Spinball
Sonic CD
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Knuckles' Chaotix
Sonic 3D Blast
Game Gear Titles
Sonic R
Sonic The Fighters
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Pocket Adventure
Sonic Shuffle
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Adventure 2: Battle
Sonic Advance

And they are also going to do Advance 2, Sonic 2006, Unleashed, Sonic 4, Colours, Generations and some other side games that they aren't going to reveal until they get to them.
The guys are pretty funny so even though they talk about non-Sonic things a fair bit it's still a great LP and it's particularly good when they get to the terrible games or just utterly choke and do horribly (See: Sonic 2).
The SA thread for it is here but in case that's locked out for non-members like it is from time to time you can just watch the videos on Youtube here.

These are pretty good. I'm enjoying the Chaotix one right now. I thought that game was worse than Sonic 06, but I might have to give it another chance with a second player.

Sega, release this shit on XBLA and PSN with online support. what are you waiting for

These are pretty good. I'm enjoying the Chaotix one right now. I thought that game was worse than Sonic 06, but I might have to give it another chance with a second player.

Sega, release this shit on XBLA and PSN with online support. what are you waiting for

why are you filled with bad sonic ideas

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

Fuck that noise, Chaotix was shit back then and would still be shit these days. They should give us the old 8-bit games for XBLA/PSN instead.

Combichristoffersen

But you can play the 8 bit games easily with Sonic Gems Collection.

The only way to play Chaotix legally is with a fucking Genesis and 32X.

I can't be arsed to rig up my PS2 to play SGC. Besides, I want trophies :<

Chaotix is best left forgotten as a bad game and a failed experiment. Hell, why Sega thought it would be a good idea to construct a game out of that shitty Sonic Crackers prototype is something I'll never understand.

Sonic Gems Collection or making Chatoix almost impossible to play?

Both.

At least we've moved on from boring falling-through-the-floor bugs to exciting shenanigans like this.

I've fallen through the floor in Generations - the big open park in City Escape, I boosted in to a wall and went right through the floor to my death.

I actually rather enjoyed Chaotix, but yeah, it's a fairly shallow experience, for the reasons already mentioned. A proper Sonic game with all those cool hardware effects Chaotix boasted would be cool, but given that it's 2012, wouldn't exactly be Earth-shattering anymore.

The Special Stage was probably the best in the series, though. (And before somebody says "bu-bu-but Sonic 3D Saturn!", I'm well aware of it. I still think Chaotix's is more interesting, if only marginally.)

Incidentally, they had it on GameTap for a good while - at least, until GameTap up and pulled all the Sega console emulators from their service.

It's got Sonic R, nothing else on the disc really matters.

You mean CD, surely

That thing was basically the Sonic 'SHITBALLS, we forgot to put Sonic CD on the Mega Collection! Ah well, we'll just fart out another compilation disc with a bunch of naff Saturn/Game Gear games' Collection

You mean CD, surely

That thing was basically the Sonic 'SHITBALLS, we forgot to put Sonic CD on the Mega Collection! Ah well, we'll just fart out another compilation disc with a bunch of naff Saturn/Game Gear games' Collection

I'd heard somewhere that SegaSonic the Hedgehog was intended to be included in Gems but they couldn't figure out a good way to translate trackball controls to analog stick movement.

Which isn't all that surprising, really. I mean, just making it digital input makes the game trivially easy (to an extent), so.

It has Tails Adventures, too.

I actually have the Japanese version of Gems for the GC, so it also has all the Bare Knuckle/Streets of Rage games going for it.

I mostly played Gems Collection for Tails Adventure and Triple Trouble. SADX's version of the former had a really dark screen when playing for some weird reason.

I do hope Game Gear games make their way to the 3DS eShop sooner than later, I'd totally re-buy those two.

Gems Collection has nothing?

Did you guys forget Triple Trouble exist?

Ehhhhh. Triple Trouble seriously loses steam after Sunset Park and isn't really that great of a game to begin with. It's not a bad game, it's just quite clearly straining against the technological limitations of the Game Gear.

J@hranimo

Banned
I mostly played Gems Collection for Tails Adventure and Triple Trouble. SADX's version of the former had a really dark screen when playing for some weird reason.

I do hope Game Gear games make their way to the 3DS eShop sooner than later, I'd totally re-buy those two.

I mainly played Gems Collection for Sonic the Fighters. Such a weird fighter that game was. I got some of the GG games on SADX.

Combichristoffersen

Ehhhhh. Triple Trouble seriously loses steam after Sunset Park and isn't really that great of a game to begin with. It's not a bad game, it's just quite clearly straining against the technological limitations of the Game Gear.

At least it's not as strained as Sonic Blast for the GG was. That game looked like hot garbage.

I was actually kind of annoyed they pulled the GG games from the XBLA/PSN port of SADX. If they had been left in, it'd have been a nostalgia-fueled impulse buy. As it was, I waited until it went on sale on PSN...

J@hranimo

Banned
I was actually kind of annoyed they pulled the GG games from the XBLA/PSN port of SADX. If they had been left in, it'd have been a nostalgia-fueled impulse buy. As it was, I waited until it went on sale on PSN...

I was pretty disappointed at that too. It's cool that they brought the missions from DX as DLC, but without the reward of playing the rare game gear games there was almost no point.

But you can play the 8 bit games easily with Sonic Gems Collection.

The only way to play Chaotix legally is with a fucking Genesis and 32X.

it was on Gametap once if I'm not mistaken, I actually would like to see it playable on another console of these days. I know the gameplay wasn't great, but I did enjoy it...mostly for the artistic design and music.

Also, I'm asking Sega to bring back Mighty.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I didn't really like Knuckles Chaotix much. I always wanted to play it when I was little but didn't have a 32X. I played my cousin's copy and man, it wasn't really worth it.

The soundtrack is fantastic, though.

This is amazing, lol. Better than falling through floors or things that haven't loaded yet.

And they are also going to do Advance 2, Sonic 2006, Unleashed, Sonic 4, Colours, Generations and some other side games that they aren't going to reveal until they get to them.
The guys are pretty funny so even though they talk about non-Sonic things a fair bit it's still a great LP and it's particularly good when they get to the terrible games or just utterly choke and do horribly (See: Sonic 2).
The SA thread for it is here but in case that's locked out for non-members like it is from time to time you can just watch the videos on Youtube here.
Thanks for the find. Probably gonna watch a few ... er, after I get a few trophies for FFXIII-2 tonight (you don't want to know what I -really- think of FFXIII-2, heh).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Episode 4 of the Generations LP, Metal Sonic is scrapped and they nostalgia at the Aqua Shield.
Oh good, a game that does time travel in a way that I enjoy.

Ah... watching that Metal Sonic battle was... oh my... So relieved when they beat it, but I don't remember having much trouble with him (though the first time, I remember wondering why I couldn't hit him straight away after he ran out of steam).

BWAAARM. Definitely spent half the challenge bouncing in the shield when I didn't have to. Electric Shield is my favourite, though. The sound effect in Sonic 3 was so delightful.

Kokonoe

Banned
I'm playing Knuckles Chaotix because of them right now. They're the only "Let's Plays" I've actually enjoyed.

I originally thought the game was bad because I had to use two characters over 10 years ago, haven't played it since than. Really want to try out two player with this game some day, but it's time to actually try this game out.

-edit- The game is kinda fun, I played it enough to try each level, I just didn't get to a boss yet. I'll play it some more later, I might actually like this more than Sonic CD.

Christopher

I don't know why there are so many fan mods that place the other charactesr from Sonic in these levels. Wasn't that one of the many fan complaignts that there were his "crappy characters" being involved in his games?

Personally, outside of the Chaotix (and the Knuckles/Rogue stages in Adventure 2) I didn't mind playing as Sonic's other characters. I think that Sonic Adventure 1's other gameplay variations were fun.

What do my fellow Sonic fans think of his "shitty friends"?

The "crappy characters" are usually associated with crappy sections, or crappy games in general (Sonic Adventure 2's non-speed sections, Shadow's game, etc).

I don't mind playing as those characters, as long as they don't play like complete shit.

Combichristoffersen

I think they're unnecessary fluff. Sonic games should be about Sonic first and foremost, not about a bunch of characters that don't really bring anything of value to the series. Knuckles and Tails are acceptable, while the rest are generally disposable.

I don't know why there are so many fan mods that place the other charactesr from Sonic in these levels. Wasn't that one of the many fan complaignts that there were his "crappy characters" being involved in his games?

Personally, outside of the Chaotix (and the Knuckles/Rogue stages in Adventure 2) I didn't mind playing as Sonic's other characters. I think that Sonic Adventure 1's other gameplay variations were fun.

As the story goes, SA2 was only going to have three playable characters (Sonic, Knuckles and Dr. Eggman) until fan outcry lead them to add in Tails and then made Shadow and Rouge playable characters to balance out the roster. Sonic Team cited at least once in the years following that decision - that the reason Sonic games had large rosters of characters is because if they didn't put in X character or Y character, then they'd receive a flood of fanmail from people wondering what happened to them.

The problem was is that Sonic Team took it to the extreme - Sonic Heroes had 12 playable characters. With games like Shadow the Hedgehog, you still had these huge supporting casts that would follow you around and bark orders at you CONSTANTLY. You just wanted them to shut up. No, I don't want to find the computer room, Vector.

And let's not forget Sonic 2006's bait-and-switch, where for the longest time they basically previewed that game as "The only playable characters are Sonic, Shadow and Silver". It wasn't until a couple months before the game launched that they begrudgingly started talking about "amigo" characters and how there were sections where you played as Tails, or Knuckles, or what-have-you. That's 9 characters there - 10 if you count carrying Princess Elise as a separate thing (or 11, if you consider Metal Sonic was planned for DLC).

There was no moderation. The community at large had an extreme reaction in return. Games went back to being only Sonic.

Now they're testing the waters again. Tails was playable in Sonic CD, and now he's also going to be playable in Sonic 4 Episode 2. Baby steps. I'm fine with playing as other characters as long as it doesn't get out of control.

Plus, fans mod this stuff just because it's funny. Playing as an Egg Fighter from Sonic Unleashed looks downright hilarious (if he only had more animations...)

Done well, I actually don't mind the differing characters. Background characters are A-OK in my book, generally - they don't really add or remove anything from the overall product, unless they're Jar Jar levels of intolerable in writing. Playable ones can be hit (Tails and Knuckles in S3&K, who you commit to playing as and genuinely do differ in gameplay and/or content) or miss (the entirely arbitrary character switches in Sonic 2K6, which are forced on you mid-stage, against your will, and very often weren't well thought-out to begin with - Tails' gameplay is a particular offender, with all those goddamn fake rings getting mixed up with your real rings if you get hit, and having to aim from a default first-person angle all the time).

I'm not really one of those fans, at this point, that'd wonder where character X is in a given game. It makes sense that Knuckles isn't in Game Y, because he'd be too busy with the Master Emerald (a fact Sega likes to gloss over these days). I don't really need Shadow to be in Game Z, particularly if the plot really shouldn't have involved him in the first place (eg: Unleashed, where Shadow was completely absent, and both the game and his character are better off for it). That's my stance, anyway.

Kokonoe

Banned
I like playing as multiple characters, but having Sonic games with just Sonic has seemed to make his games better. Sonic games should just stick with him as a playable character, and doing the Mario approach where you do things to unlock Luigi(or whichever character) that is similar to Sonic, just different statistics.

The issue with Sonic games is that they have these characters with elaborate stories which are unneeded. If they add playable characters, just put them in the game, don't give them elaborate stories which take away from the main character. Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 are my 2nd, and 3rd favorite Sonic games, but I find Solo Sonica works out a lot better for Sonic's reputation, and gameplay.

On the subject of crazy Sonic Unleashed/Sonic Generations speedruns, I have just discovered a channel full of Tool-Assisted Sonic Adventure 2 Battle runs. I'm assuming they're tool-assisted in the sense he was using an emulator and probably recorded these videos at less than full speed, basically giving him super-human reaction time, because dayum.

Must watches:

Green Forest
Final Rush

http://www.youtube.com/user/DennisBalow

I'm speechless after that Final Rush one.

On the subject of crazy Sonic Unleashed/Sonic Generations speedruns, I have just discovered a channel full of Tool-Assisted Sonic Adventure 2 Battle runs. I'm assuming they're tool-assisted in the sense he was using an emulator and probably recorded these videos at less than full speed, basically giving him super-human reaction time, because dayum.

Must watches:

Green Forest
Final Rush

http://www.youtube.com/user/DennisBalow

I'm speechless after that Final Rush one.
Y'know, it's funny, I just found this guy earlier today, myself.

Wonder how long it is until they do a full-game TAS for tasvideos.org or whatnot.

EDIT: Oh God Mission Street as Sonic what

EDIT 2: Also, this Crazy Gadget TAS has to be seen to be believed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom