• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOGB

Banned
j2GqK.png

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
What do my fellow Sonic fans think of his "shitty friends"?

The problem isn't the characters themselves, mostly, but rather when they break from the Sonic gameplay...i.e., most of the ones in the Sonic Adventure games. Tails and Knuckles, for example, were perfect in the Genesis games because they were optional and provided a different way to play while still following the basic "get to the end!" format. People who retroactively call them "shitty friends" suck and probably don't understand why people legitimately dislike them. Blaze, outside of her 06 appearance, is probably liked a lot because she follows the general Sonic gameplay in Rush with her own style to make things interesting. Shadow wasn't hated either that much till he brought about guns and vehicles; in SA2 his stages were as fun as Sonic's.

In terms of characters, though, I don't really hate the friends and don't mind them filling roles like they do in Generations as support characters, or appearing in the spin-offs (Mario does this right, basically), and to be honest, I kind of enjoy Team Chaotix, Big, and the Babylon Rouges in and of themselves. Sonic is a 20+ year franchise, it's expected they'd expand beyond the original 4.

Anth0ny

On the subject of crazy Sonic Unleashed/Sonic Generations speedruns, I have just discovered a channel full of Tool-Assisted Sonic Adventure 2 Battle runs. I'm assuming they're tool-assisted in the sense he was using an emulator and probably recorded these videos at less than full speed, basically giving him super-human reaction time, because dayum.

Must watches:

Green Forest
Final Rush

http://www.youtube.com/user/DennisBalow

I'm speechless after that Final Rush one.

God damn son.

Nert

Generally speaking, the "shitty friends" have filled three roles:

1) Allowing for more story
2) Giving players different types of gameplay
3) Expanding the game's length (filler)

All of the shitty friends have been less fun to play as than Sonic, Sonic games generally have awful stories, and I dislike artificially long games, so I guess I hate them. The best (or least offensive) friend characters tend to play almost exactly like Sonic, although that makes their inclusion inherently redundant. Why create a character like Shadow when his levels feel almost exactly like Sonic's levels?

Sonic 3 & Knuckles is the gold standard for how to tell a story in a Sonic game. It's minimalist, has no voice acting or melodrama, and it mostly exists to give off a sense of progression. I skipped through most of the cutscenes in Sonic Colors, but they were at least goofy and not riddled with angst and ancient prophecies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
^ Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel about it. The friends generally seemed to serve as artificial lengthening of the game as opposed to being other characters which you can go through the same stages with and try new paths. This is because a lot of the time for 100% completion, you had to play as them in some manner.

A lot of the problems stem from the fact that now Sonic's just about speeding around the place with little obstructions in the way (though Sonic 2006 had some unfun puzzles which were terrible and never should have been in the game), while the other characters feel like 'variety' characters. Shadow plays the same as Sonic, so his inclusion is redundant. The only thing that separates him from Sonic are guns and vehicles, and that is superfluous content. Same with Silver, whose physics puzzles are awful.

The narratives that are attached to some of these characters are just silly and melodramatic. I don't come to Sonic games--or any other platformer for that matter--for that. I can go to an RPG for that sort of thing. I come for lighthearted mischief, or something like Sonic 3&K, which told its narrative perfectly without dialogue--just using character animations. It was very well-done for its time, and it's very well-done now because it blends in seamlessly with the gameplay. You don't even know that's a 'scene' because it's so ingrained into the gameplay sequences.

Oh, thank goodness I'm completely finished with Final Fantasy XIII-2. Now I can get back to life and Sonic threads.

Sonic's shitty friends are fine by me if they work in a Sonic3&Knuckles and sonic advance series kind of way, i'm all for replaying the games as characters that play similar to Sonic with their own differences so it's not a straight retread.
Stuff like mech shooting and fishing is clearly where the problem with shitty friends lie.

Those SA2 speed runs were nuts, Sonic spindashing up walls was glorious.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Not the Time Eater itself, but how do you guys feel about it's song?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbT4Pt0_QUQ

I rather like it. Dun-DaDa-Dun DaDa-Dun-Da-Dun
I like the theme because it works.

I didn't care for it at all when I fought the final boss. It was unmotivating, and it made the boss battle less fun than it already was. I really had to switch it to different music to actually get the battle done because the theme, as a final battle theme, just doesn't work in terms of motivational melody.

Nocturnowl said:
Sonic's shitty friends are fine by me if they work in a Sonic3&Knuckles and sonic advance series kind of way
The way Sonic 3&K and Sonic Advance worked was perfectly fine. Sonic 3&K is a good example:
-Sonic ran quickly, but had shields to give him extra attacks
-Tails flew, and is quickly deemed as Easy Mode. He could get to the higher path quickly and easily.
-Knuckles could bash through breakable boulders to take paths Sonic couldn't take, and he could climb onto ledges and walls.

Both of the characters involved in Sonic 3&K added interesting dynamics to the gameplay and the level design. As a result, all three characters were fun to play with, and didn't feel like needless additions.

I like the theme because it works.

I didn't care for it at all when I fought the final boss. It was unmotivating, and it made the boss battle less fun than it already was. I really had to switch it to different music to actually get the battle done because the theme, as a final battle theme, just doesn't work in terms of motivational melody.
So you like the theme because it works, but didn't use it because it didn't work.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So you like the theme because it works, but didn't use it because it didn't work.
It works in cutscenes, or at least the variance of the theme worked in cutscenes. It's a good villain theme and it works in that manner.

It didn't work so well in the boss battle as a 'boss theme', per se.

TheOGB

Banned
Lol, I get what you're saying.

For me it was nice, but it was weird not really having a main theme and therefor no "corrupted"/orchestrated main theme for the final boss, as had been the case since Adventure (minus Heroes).

It works in cutscenes, or at least the variance of the theme worked in cutscenes. It's a good villain theme and it works in that manner.

It didn't work so well in the boss battle as a 'boss theme', per se.
That makes more sense, I suppose, although you don't really get to hear much of the theme during his all-too-brief appearances during the cutscenes.

That being said, I thought it worked well enough for the context it was in - a fairly slow-paced, methodical fight against a large, lumbering behemoth. Not an especially epic theme for a final fight, granted, but I still liked it.

For me it was nice, but it was weird not really having a main theme and therefor no "corrupted"/orchestrated main theme for the final boss, as had been the case since Adventure (minus Heroes).
I'm now trying to imagine them extending the Sonic 1/2 theme and trying to make a boss theme out of it. That'd have been... amusing. (I dunno, maybe they'd just use Super Sonic's theme from Sonic 2 instead.)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Lol, I get what you're saying.

Speaking of Heroes, I used What I'm Made Of for "Can't Touch This" trophy, and Live and Learn to beat the game. I... I like to sing along. >.>

I remember around E3 when we were wondering where the theme song for Generations was and why it wasn't revealed in the E3 trailer. It's an interesting change of pace, and honestly, I think the game somewhat benefitted from not having a main vocal theme and having various remixes of vocal themes strewn about its extras.

That makes more sense, I suppose, although you don't really get to hear much of the theme during his all-too-brief appearances during the cutscenes.

That being said, I thought it worked well enough for the context it was in - a fairly slow-paced, methodical fight against a large, lumbering behemoth. Not an especially epic theme for a final fight, granted, but I still liked it.

I'm now trying to imagine them extending the Sonic 1/2 theme and trying to make a boss theme out of it. That'd have been... amusing. (I dunno, maybe they'd just use Super Sonic's theme from Sonic 2 instead.)
They could use a motif of it, or a degenerated or downtempo motif of the Sonic 1 theme, I dunno. In a way, the Time Eater boss theme kind of reminded me The Genesis from Persona 4 in terms of the slower tempo; they're not at all the same, mind you, but the general feeling surrounding both themes are similar to me. But I guess I generally go for melody when I get 'in the zone' to fight a boss. I primarily play RPGs, after all, so I pretty much go for the tone which pervade those final battles than anything else.

Speaking of the cutscenes, I think it's truly unfortunate that the CG used in the various trailers didn't turn up in the main game.

Watch Da Birdie

Live and Learn to beat the game
I always use this song for all the Doppleganger races in Generations. Gets me in the mood.

Is the Sonic Adventure 2 version in Generations?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Schala, you still haven't told me what you think of FF XIII-2 >:|
Since it isn't relevant to the thread, I'll spoiler-tag parts of it.

I honestly think it's one big meh; I'm pretty indifferent to it overall after finishing it off and getting the plat for it. Ever since that game was announced and we started hearing all the additional features for it, I always felt like Square-Enix was trying to take this mechanic and that mechanic from various games and throw it into Final Fantasy XIII-2 to appease critics and players who didn't like Final Fantasy XIII (mind you, I was pretty indifferent towards FFXIII). It felt like they were throwing everything at the wall to see what stuck, and ultimately, that's exactly how the game felt.

Also, Final Fantasy XIII-2 is ridiculously easy. People who say otherwise aren't priming their Optimae properly. I got through most of it with Serah and Noel only (had to use a monster in two instances, and then had to get that monster trophy too), and I stopped grinding partways through the game, so I didn't reach level 99 in certain roles until Episode 4-5 (the average seems to be about Episode 3). People who played Final Fantasy XIII's main game, and especially people who played Final Fantasy XIII's postgame, will feel like this is a piece of cake. I didn't think FFXIII was hard, so FFXIII-2 was super-easy to me. It seems as though this might be a ymmv type of thing based on the thread, but for the most part people are finding it easy.

There is a problem when I find maybe 2-3 battles actually satisfying in FFXIII-2, and am disappointed with the rest of them. I should not be bored while playing an RPG; I should be engaged and actively participating in battle... not selecting three abilities to use in one turn, hitting X, and then the battle ending in six seconds.

The problem here is that CSB (Command Synergy Battle) is not supported at all in XIII-2. CSB was somewhat supported in XIII in the Barthandelus battles, and the late postgame battles against the Guis and Undying. Those battles were difficult, and they demonstrated the high points of CSB (a system which I'm not overly fond of, but it works so well in the late postgame battles that it's difficult to shrug it off).
Like I said in the OT:
In retrospect, it's like this for me:

Final Fantasy XIII-2 is a better 'packaged' game. It has a lot of stuff I expect in an RPG. Essentially, it's more 'fun' than Final Fantasy XIII. It also has better characters in Noel and Caius. Also the drop rate in this game is awesome. Switch leader speeds up battles.

Final Fantasy XIII is probably the better game when it comes to the scenario, graphics (FFXIII-2 kind of makes me feel nauseous at times with regards to the framerate), and difficulty. I am not the biggest fan of CSB (Command Synergy Battle -- what the XIII battle system is called). Compared to dresspheres, I think it's a little inadequate.

However, what made CSB shine so much was difficult battles. Final Fantasy XIII had the right amount of difficulty in its late-postgame and the Bart battles. It emphasized the importance of Jammer, Enhancer, and Defender to the FF audience--and audience of players who--in my experience--normally did not emphasize buffing, debuffing, and tanking in previous numbered FF installments. The late-postgame battles against the Undying and the Guis made players think about which Optimae to use and equip, what exactly you should equip to get 5-stars for rarer drops, character animation times, efficiency, ability synthesis, watch your stats so that they don't get too high, etc.

In this manner, Final Fantasy XIII's approach to the battle system is superior to Final Fantasy XIII-2's approach. Final Fantasy XIII-2 is too easy (and I'm in the minority who thought FFXIII was also, for the most part, easy outside of Guis casting Ultima consecutively). Final Fantasy XIII had the issue of not supporting CSB adequately for most of the game. Final Fantasy XIII-2 has the issue of not supporting CSB adequately almost at all. Jammer and Enhancer are rendered almost unnecessary outside of the occasional use (and this is because Enhancer was severely gimped in FFXIII-2 to my dismay), while in FFXIII, they seemed to be quite essential in Chapters 9-13 for making battles easier and end faster.

Separating the SEN skills in FFXIII-2 was a little weird to me, too. Making Serah and Noel both tanking-type of SENs struck me as a little odd, especially since Noel lacked Steelguard and Vendetta, and Serah lacked Mediguard (which seems to be essential if you're a tank-type of SEN, imo) and Entrench. The best way to do this was to make Noel a tank-type SEN, and Serah an evade-type SEN (ex: like Lightning and Hope). At least FFXIII's attack distributions seem to make sense. Here, they kind of do and they kind of don't.

Basically, I don't really like the ease of FFXIII-2 because battles ended up being somewhat boring. Even the 'harder' encounters seem easy, and if you're using monsters, battles become a joke. Again, as emphasized in this thread, I generally play games differently from a lot of people, so if I find it easy, some people may not find it easy. So I guess it seems like it's a ymmv type of thing, but from glancing at this thread briefly, it seems as though it is easier than FFXIII outside of the Last Episode (and part of what makes the difficulty ramp up there is because you're so busy using unstrategic and inefficient Optima to get through battles quickly in other episodes), and this is not a good thing for CSB at all.
Final Fantasy XIII had the narrative and difficulty as its high points (bear in mind we're comparing this to XIII-2). Final Fantasy XIII-2 has the RPG stuff like with the kitchen sink thrown in, better-written characters in Noel and Caius, and the player can dictate the pacing of the story depending on when they want to unlock new areas.

Overall, outside of Noel (who is one of my favourite protagonists since Balthier because he's so snarky) and the music, I'm not really feeling super-enthusiastic about FFXIII-2. I was kind of bored while playing parts of it, and found myself not really being wowed by a lot of its content. I ended up getting the plat because of completion, and ended up playing the game for the sake of getting the plat.

I do wish--and I didn't want to compare it to Xenoblade in the OT--that the game had a Quick Transport system like Xenoblade did. Chocobos are fine and all, but since playing Xenoblade, I really wanted that when I started doing fetch quests. It was handled nicely in the Steppe, but it could have been implemented in other areas too.

Oh, and the quest system is not really notable. The only good quests in XIII-2 were the string of quests involving the lost Squad in one area, and the rest of the game's quests should have been integrated like that. A lot of the quests were fetch quests in general, and didn't really let you learn about the world or its people. Those types of quests are what I enjoy more, not quests for the sake of quests like XIII-2 seemed to implement.

The puzzles which seemed exclusive to one particular area are stupid. Whoever decided that that was a good idea should have a talking to. I didn't think the clock puzzles were awful, but towards the end, they were getting super-stupid, lengthy, and had timers attached to them to boot. Again, it felt like they were throwing things at the wall to see what stuck and what didn't so they could make another FF game with the stuff people liked from both FFXIII and FFXIII-2.

Lip-synching for some of the lines in the real-time cutscenes was off. The character models in XIII-2 weren't as polished as the ones in XIII. Some of the NPCs were hideous. Honestly, this game is pretty much a technical graphical downgrade from FFXIII outside of the CG cutscenes. I don't really notice stuff like technical graphics in a general sense, but putting FFXIII and FFXIII-2 side-by-side, it's very easy to see which one had more effort put into it. Not to mention that the framerate and loading times in some of the areas are absolutely abysmal.

I didn't like it a ton and it didn't blow me away (I wish it had in the graphics/art direction department), but I didn't dislike it either. Final Fantasy XIII-2 complements Final Fantasy XIII well. Whether that is a good thing or not is up to you. I don't think either game out of the two stand out at all. Like with FFXIII, I feel a little indifferent towards FFXIII-2, and even moreso because (vague ending spoilers)
it wasn't conclusive
. But I don't want to strike it down because Noel is great, and the improved battle animations are great.

Also, the spoilers thread has even more of my ranting about how they handled time travel in the most asinine way (I really disliked how they handled time travel), and the narrative in general. The narrative isn't confusing in the least; it's just dumb sometimes. But perhaps it's because I don't go for these sorts of narratives in RPGs that I don't really care for either XIII's or XIII-2's narratives at all.

I sincerely hope SE gets its shit together and gives me, like, an FF game that I'm really really interested in. Neither FFXIII nor FFXIII-2 give me hope in that regard. I'm not even sure if I'm going to bother with a future FF at this juncture as a result. I can't believe I'm saying that about a Final Fantasy game, but I'm surprised with my indifference towards both XIII games to the point of not really caring much about the next one.

I think that's it. If you have questions about what I think of the rest of the game, just ask.

Kokonoe

Banned
SEGA forums is an interesting place. There are those who like Sonic 2006 more than Sonic Generations. (For the story too)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

Kokonoe

Banned
Whenever I see this video, the new comments always make me laugh.

And "better physics-based gameplay than Half-Life 2" from the OT a few years ago, etc. is also funny. Don't make me pull out my summary of Sonic 2006's cruddy plot again either. That game cannot be salvaged, and unless they're under the age of 13 (since for some, that was their first Sonic game), I can't believe people are defending it.

Glad you showed me this video, I was hoping someone made a video demonstrating why this game is bad. (Even for how blatantly obvious it is)

Well, the person in question is 14, they mainly play Sonic spin off games, and enjoy a story in a Sonic game more so than the gameplay. Judging by how recently they play these games, I'd say they've been a Sonic fan for 2-3ish years.

I played Sonic 2006 for the first time in either late 2008, or January of 2009. (i'd have to check my achievements) And I ended up getting to where the game was just so glitchy, I got tired of it. I also had more important games to play at the time. I went all out and finished the game almost, but not quite a year later, and it was absolutely brutal.

The story in this game is absolutely terrible, it's really one of those "What's the point" stories.
Everything resets, Sonic dies, Sonic getting slapped around left and right, sappy cutscenes with Elise, and Silver has no apparent self control it seems.

It took me a long time to play this game because I was mainly buying Nintendo consoles the past few years, it was until a year or two with the Wii I decided to pick up an Xbox 360 in 08.

My Dad rented it for me from Blockbuster the year it came out.

As I recall, I made it to Flame Core as both Sonic and Shadow, but simply couldn't beat the damn thing. I recall the first crystal cave being a major bottleneck for me. As for Silver, I made it to Tropical Jungle, but couldn't figure out where the hell to go, so never beat that, either.

I never want to touch that piece of garbage again. So much wrong with it. At least Pokecapn's LP gave me some closure.

Kokonoe

Banned
I usually play through Sonic games, just so I have the full
horrible
experience, and knowledge.

Secret Rings is just something I never want to play again, (Haven't played it since 2007) but I might do it one more time, just to know if my opinion that it's my personal pick for worst main Sonic game still stands.

Whenever I see this video, the new comments always make me laugh

Sometimes it strikes me how weird it is that my video became that popular. I spent one day bumbling through levels trying to remember dumb ways to break the game and trying to catch whatever else broke along the way. Once I had footage, I think I cut the actual video itself together in two or three hours (which, given I spent weeks on my Sonic Generations video review...).

I also feel super guilty for replying to some of the comments I get.

I usually play through Sonic games, just so I have the full
horrible
experience, and knowledge.

Secret Rings is just something I never want to play again, (Haven't played it since 2007) but I might do it one more time, just to know if my opinion that it's my personal pick for worst main Sonic game still stands.

I forgot I owned this game, dare I quickly play a couple of stages? I think I will, lets see how this has aged

Sometimes it strikes me how weird it is that my video became that popular. I spent one day bumbling through levels trying to remember dumb ways to break the game and trying to catch whatever else broke along the way.

I love your video. I watched it with a few friends back when I was at University and we would just sit and laugh / cry at how terrible the game was. I see so many apologists for Sonic 06 and no matter how jaded a fan boy you may be, no-body can seriously enjoy playing a game as monotonous and terrible as this one. I think your video made that quite clear, so thank you.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
My Dad rented it for me from Blockbuster the year it came out.

As I recall, I made it to Flame Core as both Sonic and Shadow, but simply couldn't beat the damn thing. I recall the first crystal cave being a major bottleneck for me. As for Silver, I made it to Tropical Jungle, but couldn't figure out where the hell to go, so never beat that, either.

I never want to touch that piece of garbage again. So much wrong with it. At least Pokecapn's LP gave me some closure.
I don't want to touch it again either. So bad. I know a few people around here got the 1000G for it. I wouldn't go for that (even though I only have access to the PS3 version).

Another GAFfer was doing a LTTP thread for it, but I don't think they're going to touch it again for a while to complete it.

Glad you showed me this video, I was hoping someone made a video demonstrating why this game is bad. (Even for how blatantly obvious it is)

Well, the person in question is 14, they mainly play Sonic spin off games, and enjoy a story in a Sonic game more so than the gameplay. Judging by how recently they play these games, I'd say they've been a Sonic fan for 2-3ish years.

The story in this game is absolutely terrible, it's really one of those "What's the point" stories.
Everything resets, Sonic dies, Sonic getting slapped around left and right, sappy cutscenes with Elise, and Silver has no apparent self control it seems.
You can thank Sega 1991 for that video. I feel bad that he had to play the game again just to capture all of that.

As for the age of the person, I can definitely see it. A lot of the younger kids I tutored really liked Sonic 2006 when it was released, and for some of them it was their very first Sonic game, so they have the nostalgia for it. They really do seem to treasure a narrative as opposed to the 'game' bits in general.

The problem is, as you've highlighted, that the narrative is really awful and comes off as a ridiculously horrendous faux-DBZ episode, as I've tried to note here. Really, they can try to remake the game all they want using the Hedgehog Engine or whatever, but they can't use a different--and less stupid--narrative.

People honestly forget that the game's issues are not just limited to gameplay.

Sega 1991 said:
Sometimes it strikes me how weird it is that my video became that popular. I spent one day bumbling through levels trying to remember dumb ways to break the game and trying to catch whatever else broke along the way. Once I had footage, I think I cut the actual video itself together in two or three hours (which, given I spent weeks on my Sonic Generations video review...).

I also feel super guilty for replying to some of the comments I get.
Why? I really love that video since it shows off many of the poor gameplay/physics/terribly scripted stuff incredibly well. It's also cut and edited well, much like your Generations review was.

Some of the comments you get on that video are hilarious in their own right.

MAKE BELIEVES REBORN
There you go, you've now experienced Sonic and the Secret Rings, though maybe I best throw in and "oh no" on Sonic's part.

Levitated Ruin and EVIL foundry were the stages chosen, I don't even know how to describe this game, on rails platforming maybe? it is a mess, sonic and women whose name i've already forgotten don't shut up EVER, it's overly automatic and has a flat out maddening control scheme. I didn't bother looking at my ring setup but fortunately I had the one that gives you a speed boost when you do the small jump.

And for old times sake I visited my old pal the Erazor Djinn for a boss battle that is so mind bogglingly bad that it makes time eater look damn right masterful.
"maybe I should use time break or speed break" Sonic spouts repeatedly at random points, it took me long enough to remember when to use the speed break in between all the "oh no" Sonic deaths, Darkspine Sonic sounds like he's got a bad cold. After illogically blasting sonic into a giant projectile and using Chun Li kicks to bat it back at old boss face I got to witness the hilariously feeble assault of Sonic's rapid punches, then I died yet again because attack spam that damn near fills the entire screen with bright colours that looked like homing attacks (be careful Sonic) and slashing an outright grid of fire across the screen. Looks like there will be no infinite handkerchiefs for me.

Despite the game being rather disastrous I can't bring myself to hate it, it's different i'll give it that much but I can't imagine that this game has some kind of fanbase right?
In fact don't you people claim Black Knight is actually worse?

Kokonoe

Banned
That youtube comment on that link got me thinking. Now that I think about it, I honestly think the music in 06, and Secret Rings might be the reason I actually completed it. (Or at least strongly improved the chance)

Crush 40 really is awesome.

Despite the game being rather disastrous I can't bring myself to hate it, it's different i'll give it that much but I can't imagine that this game has some kind of fanbase right?
I've noticed on the Sega forums, some of the less experienced gamers thought it was OK. Of course, you see just about anything you can imagine relating to Sonic on the Sega forums.
I don't enjoy tilt fests.
In fact don't you people claim Black Knight is actually worse?
It looks like a more bearable version tbh, although I've never played it.
I watched a video of it yesterday, not sure i'll ever want to play it though. I'm personally rather tired of motion control games, plus it looked like you have to spam homing attacks or something.

I love my Sonic music even from the bad games but i'm struggling to remember any track in Secret Rings that i'd actually say was good, a few come close but then throw in mumbling lyrics at random intervals.

Whenever I see this video, the new comments always make me laugh.

And "better physics-based gameplay than Half-Life 2" from the OT a few years ago, etc. is also funny. Don't make me pull out my summary of Sonic 2006's cruddy plot again either. That game cannot be salvaged, and unless they're under the age of 13 (since for some, that was their first Sonic game), I can't believe people are defending it.

It's crazy that the video STILL gets comments, and that Sega1991 STILL ANSWERS THEM!

supershadow946 said:
i actually like this game, and some of these glitches aren't even in the 360 version of the game. most of them from the PS3 version. But hell, i get a thrill out of these glitches XD they're fun as hell to find

Sega1991 said:
This entire video is of the 360 version, dude.
KuGsj.gif

Yeah, by contrast, I gave up on answering comments to my Sonic's Schoolhouse / BlitzSonic videos ages ago. There are only so many ways you can respond to "WHAT THAT'S HIS VOICE".

Sciz

That youtube comment on that link got me thinking. Now that I think about it, I honestly think the music in 06, and Secret Rings might be the reason I actually completed it. (Or at least strongly improved the chance)

Crush 40 really is awesome.

The only Crush 40 track in either game is their All Hail Shadow cover for '06.

I don't agree with all the Secret Rings hate. It's probably going to feel a little rigid now, and you start off TOO weak with too few abilities (but the trade-off is that by the end of the game you're earning abilities you didn't expect to get, like the ability to flip over walls), but it was basically the prototype for some of the 3D Sonic mechanics in Unleashed and Generations, and it was a fresh approach to the series that wasn't retrofitting the same broken engine the same way over and over.

It was also the first time in a while Sonic was allowed to be snarky again, when he was totally lost in the "Gosh we need to do good things for people!" attitude by Heroes.

It even ended with something other than Super Sonic, or basically a "corrupted" version of it, which was different from the usual.

It also had a miniature version of "Mario Party" that even worked with Gamecube controllers if you preferred to use those.

Black Knight wasn't bad, it was just too easy to jump dash over things instead of fight them, it was too short (and the fake-out ending is too good, there's no hint the game continues from that point, which makes things worse), and some of the mechanics choices were a bit awkward.

Watch Da Birdie

I love my Sonic music even from the bad games but i'm struggling to remember any track in Secret Rings that i'd actually say was good, a few come close but then throw in mumbling lyrics at random intervals.

You just posted the two levels with the best music, Levitated Ruins and Evil Foundry. :)

By the way Kokonoe, is that Loran Cehack in your avatar?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It's crazy that the video STILL gets comments, and that Sega1991 STILL ANSWERS THEM!
KuGsj.gif
OMFG... I didn't even notice those were just from a few hours ago. :lol :lol :lol

Sega 1991, how do you do it? I'd be laughing my head off as opposed to responding cordially. Well... your responses aren't so much cordial; they're more snarky.

I don't agree with all the Secret Rings hate. It's probably going to feel a little rigid now, and you start off TOO weak with too few abilities (but the trade-off is that by the end of the game you're earning abilities you didn't expect to get, like the ability to flip over walls), but it was basically the prototype for some of the 3D Sonic mechanics in Unleashed and Generations, and it was a fresh approach to the series that wasn't retrofitting the same broken engine the same way over and over.

It was also the first time in a while Sonic was allowed to be snarky again, when he was totally lost in the "Gosh we need to do good things for people!" attitude by Heroes.

It even ended with something other than Super Sonic, or basically a "corrupted" version of it, which was different from the usual.
Yeah, I didn't think Secret Rings was really too bad. I haven't played it in a while, but that's how I felt at the time, since getting newer abilities was pretty nice for a Sonic game. Snarky Sonic was also rather refreshing.

As for Black Knight, I don't like it much.

Kokonoe

Banned
My issues weren't with the story, they were the following.

1. Tilt controls + You can pretty much only move forward
2. All the strange missions/goals like the following.

Collect a certain amount of rings
Don't collect any rings
Race the ball
Be perfect

Really felt awkward, and very much unlike a Sonic game imo. I'll probably rent this tomorrow so I am not basing this off foggy 2007 memories.

Lijik

Secret Rings becomes more palletable when you accept it as "Special Stage: The Game".
Also when you get out of this overly long shitbag tutorial.
And know the missions the game expects you to complete as opposed to doing all of them.

And wear a funny hat

TheOGB

Banned
This is one thing I appreciate about the storybook games.

Anth0ny

I don't want to touch it again either. So bad. I know a few people around here got the 1000G for it. I wouldn't go for that (even though I only have access to the PS3 version).

Another GAFfer was doing a LTTP thread for it, but I don't think they're going to touch it again for a while to complete it.

Reading week next week.

SILVER WILL DIE

Emitan

I just realized Modern and Classic Sonics' mouths are on the sides of their faces and not the middle. CANNOT UNSEE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom