• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pietepiet

Fuck yes! I was waiting for that to happen! :D

Also, my History of Sonic the Hedgehog book arrived. It's beautiful.
Small nitpicking: they're using nothing but DX screenshots for SA1 :\

uxSPb.jpg

I... don't think I installed this right.

qq more

I found myself more bored because it wasn't a great looking level than from the fact I was using one button most of the time. Don't know why you would just hold right anyway, the game encourages to use the trick action to get around, knock out foes and explore higher routes.

That's true, I just find it amusing that the HOLD RIGHT thing was literally almost true. lol

Also, I just want to say Advance 2 has great gameplay... just wish the level design wasn't mean. The trick system was so fun.

Fuck yes! I was waiting for that to happen! :D

Also, my History of Sonic the Hedgehog book arrived. It's beautiful.
Small nitpicking: they're using nothing but DX screenshots for SA1 :\

ewwwww DX was hideous :(

I should install this mod. Those Soap shoes always were hideous, and I noticed they don't even have the license in the game anymore (blimp in Radical Highway says "Speed" now instead of "Soap").

Kokonoe

Banned
I can't play Sonic Adventure 2 without the soap shoes, it's like taking the spindash out of Sonic and Knuckles or something.

qq more

Sky Canyon is easy sauce, just stay on the highest routes. I'll...give you the other two but still...Dimps is your friend.
okay yeah true

sky canyon is still bullshit but it was easy once you know the dumb trial and error stuff (the boss is another story though)

and no dimps aint my friend, they did too many horrible things to meeeeeeeeeeeee :((((

This is the Sonic fandom, games are decided whether there are green eyes or not.
Admittedly it was kinda dumb to use the modern designs when they were trying to sell us a "throwback" title. It'd have been forgivable if the mechanics were solid, but, well, Sonic 4. Generations did the fanservice much better. (Mechanics were still kinda off - hello, overpowered spin dash for a split-second of holding the button - but much less noticeably broken than Sonic 4, at least.)

I actually kinda like Sonic's modern design these days - at least, when he's not doing the stupid angry grin they gave him in Sonic 4's renders (seriously why does that look so off).

qq more

Unleashed was apparently a Dreamcast title as some point and was called Sonic Adventure 3. Shelved since the death of the console and restored when Sonic 06 failed.

heard that from friends with the Sonic history book, now I really want it!

okay yeah true

sky canyon is still bullshit but it was easy once you know the dumb trial and error stuff (the boss is another story though)

and no dimps aint my friend, they did too many horrible things to meeeeeeeeeeeee :((((

The crimes Dimps committed against you aren't anywhere close to like Konami and the Silent Hill Collection, Capcom and its many crimes or Squeenix and...well whatever. Forgive them and enjoy the games.

Neither of us will excuse them from the stupid method needed to get the emeralds in Advance 2 though. That's uncalled for and a low blow.

this might be the Sonic 2006 of crazy ass opinions

No.

qq more

this might be the Sonic 2006 of crazy ass opinions
Now that's just harsh.

The crimes Dimps committed against you aren't anywhere close to like Konami and the Silent Hill Collection, Capcom and its many crimes or Squeenix and...well whatever. Forgive them and enjoy the games.
Capcom...?!

CAPCOM....

CAPCOM.....

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPCCCCCCCCCCCCCCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

qq more

oh so thats what dry humor means

i think

also since no one noticed:

Unleashed was apparently a Dreamcast title as some point and was called Sonic Adventure 3. Shelved since the death of the console and restored when Sonic 06 failed.

I think it's even more dumb you think I'm serious!
I'd assumed this after your second post, and so wasn't gonna continue with it, but wasn't entirely sure. Good to see I was correct.

Wonder what HUELEN would say to my classic-shoe-ing of SA2's model?

That sounds remarkably far-fetched. They really came up with the boost mechanics and Man-Hog gameplay that early on in the game?

Quackula

Kinda surprising considering when Sonic Adventure 2 came out. They must've started it right away after finishing SA2.

Pietepiet

I think you're taking the Sonic Adventure 3/Sonic Unleashed stuff a bit too literal. Yes, a Sonic Adventure 3 project was started after SA2 and shelved because of the Dreamcast's death. And yes, the book does say Sonic Adventure 3 project was revived after 06 bombed like a motherfucker. But I doubt these were the same games.

That sounds remarkably far-fetched. They really came up with the boost mechanics and Man-Hog gameplay that early on in the game?

The Werehog gameplay was added later on, after they started work on the project after 06 failed. To quote the book:

It was then that the game's name was changed from Sonic Adventure 3 to Sonic Unleashed, in order to support the werehog idea.

qq more

I think you're taking the Sonic Adventure 3/Sonic Unleashed stuff a bit too literal. Yes, a Sonic Adventure 3 project was started after SA2 and shelved because of the Dreamcast's death. And yes, the book does say Sonic Adventure 3 project was revived after 06 bombed like a motherfucker. But I doubt these were the same games.

The Werehog gameplay was added later on, after they started work on the project after 06 failed. To quote the book:

Oh yeah, I know there's a chance the game was completely different back then (I think the Werehog stuff was added because they wanted to extend the playtime of the game). Still, really interesting, I really want to see how the game looked when it was a Dreamcast game.

Sounds interesting.

I always did wonder about internal Sega projects that were possibly shelved or moved around the time when Dreamcast went under. I know there were some that got shifted to different platforms like Shinobi, but I do wonder of there were some that we'll probably never hear about.

qq more

what if sonic 4 was in development for the sega genesis before getting shelved right away and no one has ever said a word about it

im just making that up but it's nice imagining such scenario

Kokonoe

Banned
infinite

we'll talk about sonic 06 and 4 forever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever :)

qq more admit it, you secretly like 06 and 4. You like how Sonic 2006 lets you drown in knee deep water, and you love how Sonic 4 stops your momentum if you do a spindash off a platform.

qq more

qq more admit it, you secretly like 06 and 4. You like how Sonic 2006 lets you drown in knee deep water, and you love how Sonic 4 stops your momentum if you do a spindash off a platform.
Don't forget kicking a box and have it take you into SPACCCEEEEE

I will slowly soften QQ's opinion on Dimps. Join the love.
You don't have to:

Pocket Adventure, Advance 1, 3 (maybe) and Colors DS are fun games!

I'll have to give Rush Adventure another chance because the level design was okay but at the time I wasn't a fan of Boost and didn't like battle ship stuff. But who knows I might enjoy it the next time

plus it has Robot Pirate Robotnik, I can't say no to that.

EDIT: Geez, you guys with your cool pixel art avatars. I feel left out. Maybe I should ask for a request or make one myself HMMMMMMMMMMM

Sonic Advance 3 is a fun game, it has Toy Kingdom for crying out loud.

And Advance 2 has some fun parts, you have to admit. And Rush Adventure is a massive improvement over Rush. Plus any game that adds pirates as the main advesaries automatically becomes ten times cooler. Just look at DKC2...haters be darned. I know who you are.

qq more

Sonic Advance 3 is a fun game, it has Toy Kingdom for crying out loud.

And Advance 2 has some fun parts, you have to admit. And Rush Adventure is a massive improvement over Rush.

Advance 3 I said maybe because it's been a long time since I last played it... but I definitely enjoyed it the last time. The music is still awesome, that's for sure.

And yeah, I have to admit about Advance 2. Music Plant was fun and the Special Stages were the best out of the gba trilogy.

And yeah, Rush Adventure was definitely an improvement, but I wasn't just feeling it at the time. I still own it though along with Rush so I can play them sometime.

And yeah, that reminds me. I should probably get back to finishing Advance 2 just so I can play Advance 3 next.

And yeah, and yeah, and yeah, and yeah, and yeah, and yeah, and yeah, and yeah, and yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom