• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advance 3 I said maybe because it's been a long time since I last played it... but I definitely enjoyed it the last time. The music is still awesome, that's for sure.

And yeah, I have to admit about Advance 2. Music Plant was fun and the Special Stages were the best out of the gba trilogy.

And yeah, Rush Adventure was definitely an improvement, but I wasn't just feeling it at the time. I still own it though along with Rush so I can play them sometime.

And yeah, that reminds me. I should probably get back to finishing Advance 2 just so I can play Advance 3 next.

And yeah, and yeah, and yeah, and yeah, and yeah, and yeah, and yeah, and yeah, and yeah.

The music is very awesome. Sonic music is hardly ever bad. I didn't find the boat sections too annoying in Rush Adventure and some of the secret islands you can discover are pretty fun to run through. At least the levels aren't mind numbing boring as Rush.

And yeah? Yea maybe Dimps isn't so bad

qq more

The music is very awesome. Sonic music is hardly ever bad. I didn't find the boat sections too annoying in Rush Adventure and some of the secret islands you can discover are pretty fun to run through. At least the levels aren't mind numbing boring as Rush.

And yeah? Yea maybe Dimps isn't so bad
I honestly have mixed feelings about Dimps, I'm more or less just really bitter at Sonic Advance 2 and Sonic 4. I will never get over the freezing walruses and the special rings...

I got mine custom made because I have what is secretly inside the G.S. Ball.
Celebi

I skimmed through Orange Islands but did they ever solve the GS Ball subplot? If so, what happened?
Or was the Celebi thing actually what happened?

oh and ps i got my PSO account working, Koko.

Neoriceisgood makes them; I requested mine over in the MangaGAF Community thread, even though I don't post in there often (mine is Urabe from Msyterious Girlfriend X). Think he/she mentioned only doing 100 until going on a break and there were only a few spots left.

Yeah I figured. Guy is great at pixel art. I guess I'll make my own sprite avatar then.

Kokonoe

Banned
I skimmed through Orange Islands but did they ever solve the GS Ball subplot? If so, what happened?
Or was the Celebi thing actually what happened?

oh and ps i got my PSO account working, Koko.

It was a plot that was suppose to happen in Gold and Silver, but started as a subplot in the Orange Islands. Nothing ever occurred, but it was found out later in a magazine or crystal version that it was going to be Celebi. Not many people knew about Celebi at the time so it could have worked, but it seems like they wanted to make a movie out of it instead. That's okay, though, because the anime went off it's rocker with Advance with Max and May with all the plot devices they amplified for that season and continued to do so. You already seen the Magikarp VS Pikachu thing, but yeah. I want a G.S. ball now, though.

qq more

It was a plot that was suppose to happen in Gold and Silver, but started as a subplot in the Orange Islands. Nothing ever occurred, but it was found out later in a magazine or crystal version that it was going to be Celebi. Not many people knew about Celebi at the time so it could have worked, but it seems like they wanted to make a movie out of it instead. That's okay, though, because the anime went off it's rocker with Advance with Max and May with all the plot devices they amplified for that season and continued to do so. You already seen the Magikarp VS Pikachu thing, but yeah. I want a G.S. ball now, though.

I gave up early on in Johto. I got really bored of the anime and hated Ash... and I still do!

Kokonoe

Banned
I gave up early on in Johto. I got really bored of the anime and hated Ash... and I still do!

I missed parts of Johto, I need to revisit the whole thing but I kept watching on and off until Diamond and Pearl until they had this awful start music and I just gave up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBDMhc54K2s

Nothing can stop you, Diamond and Pearl!

PS:

It's all about the pudgey pidgey episode.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pudgy_Pidgey_Isle

R8GCi.gif

I honestly have mixed feelings about Dimps, I'm more or less just really bitter at Sonic Advance 2 and Sonic 4. I will never get over the freezing walruses and the special rings...

No excuse for the Walruses. Unless you're stuck with the collectathon bug (Those darn Rare games are contagious), you don't need to get all the emeralds in Advance 2, that's always been a bonus thing. Of course it's still dumb but there are far worse crimes.

qq more

No excuse for the Walruses. Unless you're stuck with the collectathon bug (Those darn Rare games are contagious), you don't need to get all the emeralds in Advance 2, that's always been a bonus thing. Of course it's still dumb but there are far worse crimes.

Not when I want to unlock Super Sonic! One emerald was annoying enough!

aww that poor pidgey......

qq more

Play with power then! Join the Cheating Nation.

I already did that, it was soooooooooo much better. Too bad the game itself was still meh, but the special stages sort of made my replay of the game better.

wait

didnt you and someone else disliked how I cheated the special rings earlier in the thread?

I already did that, it was soooooooooo much better. Too bad the game itself was still meh, but the special stages sort of made my replay of the game better.

wait

didnt you and someone else disliked how I cheated the special rings earlier in the thread?

Yes I did.

After watching somecallmejohnny's reviews of Generation 1 and Generation 2 and hearing all this talk of pokeymans talk in here, makes me want to play one just because. Gonna start from Gen 1. Hmmm, should I go Red or Blue...

Blue is the best. Blue is for life.

Quackula

Sounds interesting.

I always did wonder about internal Sega projects that were possibly shelved or moved around the time when Dreamcast went under. I know there were some that got shifted to different platforms like Shinobi, but I do wonder of there were some that we'll probably never hear about.

I think the Ps2 Shinobi game and Panzer Dragoon Orta both started as Dreamcast projects.

Super Monkey Ball too.

Surely Lost Levels has an even higher ability to keep killing you, or at least that's how i've always felt about it.

Also Red version is Primeape and Scyther version, my stance here is clear and unwavering.

You suggested me this game and it's killing me over and over! argh!

I'll play it more later, onto Mario the lost levels in All-Stars.

It has a difficulty spike like a roller coaster. At least the first two areas can be skipped largely. When you get to Krem Quay, we're gonna have to talk since there are no more Warp Barrels...bummer.

Edit no jutsu: Lost Levels nerfs your jumping ability...this game is no cakewalk...this game is for the toughest of gamers.

Tried the SA2 PC Classic Shoes mod. It crashes on the cutscene after City Escape. Oh well :p
What cutscene after City Escape? It jumps straight to a boss fight. I mean, I suppose that boss fight opens with a cutscene...

After watching somecallmejohnny's reviews of Generation 1 and Generation 2 and hearing all this talk of pokeymans talk in here, makes me want to play one just because. Gonna start from Gen 1. Hmmm, should I go Red or Blue...
Yellow

I think you're taking the Sonic Adventure 3/Sonic Unleashed stuff a bit too literal. Yes, a Sonic Adventure 3 project was started after SA2 and shelved because of the Dreamcast's death. And yes, the book does say Sonic Adventure 3 project was revived after 06 bombed like a motherfucker. But I doubt these were the same games.
I believe someone from Sonic Team stated in an interview that Unleashed was in development as Sonic Adventure 3, but they decided it was unique enough of as its own game to deserve a different title. The Japanese title is still Sonic World Adventure, owing to its roots.

Kokonoe

Banned
Yes I did.

Blue is the best. Blue is for life.

I prefer the color red so I pick red. Scyther also + Charizard > Blastoise.
I always pick the color I like the most and not really the exclusives in the game, however.

Surely Lost Levels has an even higher ability to keep killing you, or at least that's how i've always felt about it.

Also Red version is Primeape and Scyther version, my stance here is clear and unwavering.

I can see that thanks to this.

I have to hit an invisible block without getting hit by that koopa which is a little more difficult then it sounds cause you may hit run into it and this games mechanics don't give you the leg room to move as much when you jump. First part ain't so bad, but then you have to jump off the koopa to make jump on the platform, and if you don't make the jump the koopa is gone so you have to kill yourself.(at least I think so cause I can't figure this bit out) The screen moves too much to the right and you can't walk back so you can't hop on the pipe. I'm more comfortable with my Mario 'skills', though since I never really played much of the Donkey Kong games.

By the way, the graphics to the All-Star games are great.

-edit-

Nope, guess the koopa shell doesn't bounce you up in this one so that's not it.
It has a difficulty spike like a roller coaster. At least the first two areas can be skipped largely. When you get to Krem Quay, we're gonna have to talk since there are no more Warp Barrels...bummer.

Edit no jutsu: Lost Levels nerfs your jumping ability...this game is no cakewalk...this game is for the toughest of gamers.

Yeah, I kept losing to Kloin. I'll give it more of a shot later, but I do kinda like it so far and the music is good.

Mario 1 physics/engine aren't as forgiving.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
omg i'm soooooooooooo tired

first day back at school is the woooorrrrrrst

See, you're halfway there, this is the chance to represent those different games, the opportunity to explain why your number 1 is superior to the overall Consensus, this is what we all strive for, do you think those soundtracks we voted for have a chance in the face of the front runners? (well one of mine is likely up there but anyway...) never but we we pushed ahead anyway, that's what it means to be an extraordinary Gaffer.
Or you can sit here with your beloved games and their broken dreams of glory and when the results thread arrives and you look down that top 10 and see nothing that you like you'll understand that you let them win not just number 1 but everything that follows in its wake!
Or you can just tell me to sod off and that you've written enough over the last 30 odd days, that would make sense.

Now while I have the time i've got to get back to your musical tomes.
I'm sorry they're so long! I got a little carried away when I wrote them up. Before I kept all of the top 3 and honourable mentions in two posts but if I'd kept everything together, it'd probably extend to 3.5 posts. Maybe 4. I didn't check. you only get 24000 characters to your disposal, you know.

But how could I write about how my #1 game is superior to other games if I don't really have a #1? (Also, a lot of my games would be thrown into "no, that's not a game" argument.) :p
I'll probably write up a post but I don't really feel like writing this huge writeup right now. I'm... all writeup'd out. Sheesh, I think I wrote a ton of stuff for GAF in December/early-January alone.

That's true, I just find it amusing that the HOLD RIGHT thing was literally almost true. lol
Well, yeah, that's kind of the point. It's not that it's the right strategy; it's that you can feasibly do it that's disheartening.

See QQ, Dimps isn't totally evil incarnate!
I need to get home so I can post a picture of a shitty Dimps game that I own.

Neoriceisgood makes them; I requested mine over in the MangaGAF Community thread, even though I don't post in there often (mine is Urabe from Msyterious Girlfriend X). Think he/she mentioned only doing 100 until going on a break and there were only a few spots left.

EDIT: Here they all are.
Ohhhhhh... so that's where they're all coming from. I thought it was a gaming side thing I missed cuz I know that real pic January thing is going on too.

Yeah, I don't post in MangaGAF so it wouldn't be right to ask. I just lurk in AnimeGAF and MangaGAF cuz they seem so tight-knit and it's hard to join in. ...I'm sure other people feel that way about us, but feel free to come in and chat about whatever cuz we're all pretty chill.

Warp Barrels are for the weak!
Take them and you'll end up like the Game Grumps, dying for obvious reasons due to their own stupidity and making miserable excuses for it, though it does make for some good laughs, heh, "up detection".

Seriously though, skipping stages has no real benefit, for example there's a warp barrel in Squawk's Shaft, you take that and you wont be seeing Squawks until Bramble Scramble which is a less than optimal way to get to grips with the bird.
Or even better who wants to skip glorious platforming stages in any good platformer? well okay, Marble Zone.

I prefer the color red so I pick red. Scyther also + Charizard > Blastoise.
I always pick the color I like the most and not really the exclusives in the game, however.

I can see that thanks to this.

I have to hit an invisible block without getting hit by that koopa which is a little more difficult then it sounds cause you may hit run into it and this games mechanics don't give you the leg room to move as much when you jump. First part ain't so bad, but then you have to jump off the koopa to make jump on the platform, and if you don't make the jump the koopa is gone so you have to kill yourself.(at least I think so cause I can't figure this bit out) The screen moves too much to the right and you can't walk back so you can't hop on the pipe. I'm more comfortable with my Mario 'skills', though since I never really played much of the Donkey Kong games.

By the way, the graphics to the All-Star games are great.
I haven't played Lost Levels in ages, it terrifies me, it and some of the later NSMBU challenges are like a cruel reminder that i'm not as good at 2D Mario as i imagine myself to be.
There was a version of Lost Levels in the GBC SMB DX which I did beat when I was younger but it was probably dumbed down or something.

Yeah, I kept losing to Kloin. I'll give it more of a shot later, but I do kinda like it so far and the music is good.
you know it makes sense.

I'm sorry they're so long! I got a little carried away when I wrote them up. Before I kept all of the top 3 and honourable mentions in two posts but if I'd kept everything together, it'd probably extend to 3.5 posts. Maybe 4. I didn't check. you only get 24000 characters to your disposal, you know.

But how could I write about how my #1 game is superior to other games if I don't really have a #1? (Also, a lot of my games would be thrown into "no, that's not a game" argument.) :p
I'll probably write up a post but I don't really feel like writing this huge writeup right now. I'm... all writeup'd out. Sheesh, I think I wrote a ton of stuff for GAF in December/early-January alone.

I was journeying through more of it this morning, it was daunting enough and then I noticed the cut DLC content "honourable mention write ups" had made it to the thread as well, I have no idea how you do it considering I took a whole day (and i've got bucket loads of free time as it stands right now) just to do my post, i'm both impressed and kind of terrified!

As for GotY, you don't need to go all out all the time, if you do it just go with a paragraph for each, perhaps focused more on how the game makes you feel as opposed to how it all works and comes together, i've written up around half my list at this point and I think i've almost gone into too much pointless rabbling that sounds like a bullet point game review which I may rectify, I blame the 3DS recommendation thread for that.

I have no shame in being hyped for the pokeymen, nothing in the franchise excites me more than seeing new mons and if there's a possibility of that consider me hyped.

qq more

I can't be hyped for Pokemon. I'm so burned out that Gen 6 won't excite me in the slightest. Hell, I didn't even beat Black version and I don't plan on getting the (possibly pointless) sequel! Also I feel it's way too soon for another Gen...

I'll be down for Pokemon Snap 2 but we all know that's not going to happen :(

Deep down I am suffering the signs of burnout, I went from Black 1 as "best since Fire Red and possibly yet" (and I stand by it) to Black 2 being just sort of there, granted it's still basically a third version with a remixed main game by the B team (and it damn well shows, those guys can't design interesting new caves to save their life!)
But as I said i'll always be hyped for more of the actual pokemon themselves, we'll see how the game itself looks if it is indeed Gen 6 and if it's actually hype worthy.

Noi

^Not to start a "blah new pokemon suck" argument, but the BW ones alone made me unable to get into that game. Even when picking a starter I was all "I don't... really want any of them".

Sure are. Not in every level though, and only in the first two worlds, I think.

I'm as flabbergasted as when I learned about the gems in Sonic '06. Seriously, had no idea.

I'm as flabbergasted as when I learned about the gems in Sonic '06. Seriously, had no idea.

They're barely mentioned in the official strat guide too (I think the guide mentions that they exist and points out their locations, and that's it), but that's mainly because they're seriously not that important. If you bought the guide, then you bought it for the locations of the bonus levels and DK Coin locations.

^Not to start a "blah new pokemon suck" argument, but the BW ones alone made me unable to get into that game. Even when picking a starter I was all "I don't... really want any of them".

They suck, but the new Pokemon you get as you progress are SO GOOD. First game I ditched my starter in.

qq more

I like the new Pokemon in BW. My issue is that Game Freak released too many Pokemon games. Not the kind of series I would buy annually. BW itself is a good game (despite lack of VS Seeker)

and how can you people hate Snivy?

Noi

I ended up choosing Snivy, though it was really just choosing which one I disliked the least. :p

And liking the new pokemon is more persona opinion I guess. I'm not a stickler for OMG 151 ONLY cause I like a lot of RSE's new mons (which is widely considered the worst gen, I think?), but none of the ones in DPP or BW have really done it for me.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
SNIVELY!?

180px-stolenthunder85rmz.jpg

I was journeying through more of it this morning, it was daunting enough and then I noticed the cut DLC content "honourable mention write ups" had made it to the thread as well, I have no idea how you do it considering I took a whole day (and i've got bucket loads of free time as it stands right now) just to do my post, i'm both impressed and kind of terrified!
That isn't all of the DLC!! I cut some of the honourable mentions in favour of doing the awards portion. 'Sides, I needed to give Falk some props for what he released this year. I was quite impressed with his (and since I was talking more specifically about Sonic Before the Sequel) and the others' work on the 2012 build.

I just finished off a portion of the DLC because I was politely asked. :D

Oh yeah, I should post that bit in here since it's Sonic-related, huh?

“We Made a Fangame!” Award: Sonic Before the Sequel 2012 Original Soundtrack (Falk, Lake, Andy Tunstall, Funk Fiction, KgZ)
Runner-Up: Sonic Generations: Unleashed Project White Space BGMs (Falk)

artworks-000022841647ilxlq.jpg

If you’re saying, “Schala, fangames, really?” then first of all, get the heck out of here with that garbage and don’t ever put down fan works that you haven’t even heard or played yet. Second, you’d be surprised with how nicely some of these can be composed, and the fact that some of the samples (or live instruments) these composers use are better than some of the samples that well-known composers use. In fact watch this video where Falk talks about interactive music. So fan composers, when you get the best of the best, truly know what they’re doing.

Sonic Before the Sequel was featured at other SAGE (Sonic Amateur Games Expo) events beforehand, but the 2012 build of the game comes with better graphics, some gameplay/physics improvements, and new music!! Falk decided to take on the music and recruited some other people to lend diversity to the SBtS soundtrack.

Downpour – for Hilltop Heights Act 2 sounds like it could fit right into Sonic CD. Love the dance backing, and the vocal samples. That’s the sort of thing older Sonic soundtracks exhibited and something I’d love to see again. Adding bell samples is a really nice touch. It’s nice to see it grow from Rivulets – For Hilltop Heights Act 1, and then elegantly flows into the piano-driven Prismatic – For Hilltop Heights Act 3.

I’ve said in other threads that I absolutely adore Invisible Realm – For Lost Levels Act 1 because it’s terribly reminiscent of Suikoden for me. And then we get the chiptune-inspired Wood Zone – For Lost Levels Act 2 out of it, and the bass and synth-inspired Fire and Ice – For Lost Levels Act 3 (sounds like something out of the Saturn version of Sonic 3D Blast, actually).

Evening Dreamscape pt1 – For Sunset Star Act 1 has lovely bass, percussion and piano work with some synth strings. It’s adorable, and it creates something incredibly soothing and jazzy, worthy of the lounge. Interlude – For Sunset Star Act 2 continues the jazzy trend with a piano and a lead sax. Plunk this right into Sonic Unleashed and you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference that it was something original. Finally, synth and synth leads are added Evening Dreamscape pt2 – For Sunset Star Act 2 keeping the soothing atmosphere.

Like, there are other tracks that are so reminiscent of the feel of older Sonic games, especially in terms of sampling like the older games used to do, that I can’t help but to feel nostalgic while listening to it. For example, Metro Madness Act 1, Blue to Darkness – For Fortress Flow Act 3, Chiptunes and Salsa – For Perilous Paradise Act 3, and Titanic Tower Act 1. It’s such a good album and I think people should give it a listen.​
I should add that the album is essentially a doujin album because some of it references regular Sonic BGMs.

Addendum: I will never fucking understand why Gaming Side shies away from the fan game scene.

As for GotY, you don't need to go all out all the time, if you do it just go with a paragraph for each, perhaps focused more on how the game makes you feel as opposed to how it all works and comes together, i've written up around half my list at this point and I think i've almost gone into too much pointless rabbling that sounds like a bullet point game review which I may rectify, I blame the 3DS recommendation thread for that.
But the waffling can end up being cohesive if you're trying to get other people to understand why you like the game, and also what kind of game it is. I don't like half-assing it. :|

That isn't all of the DLC!! I cut some of the honourable mentions in favour of doing the awards portion. 'Sides, I needed to give Falk some props for what he released this year. I was quite impressed with his (and since I was talking more specifically about Sonic Before the Sequel) and the others' work on the 2012 build.

I just finished off a portion of the DLC because I was politely asked. :D

Oh yeah, I should post that bit in here since it's Sonic-related, huh?

I should add that the album is essentially a doujin album because some of it references regular Sonic BGMs.

Addendum: I will never fucking understand why Gaming Side shies away from the fan game scene.
The DLC that just keeps on coming, well if asked for, fortunately for your aching fingers I don't really have any need right now for more, i'm still soldiering on.

Before the Sequel has a pretty relaxed and chilled out soundtrack for the most part it seems, as you said there's some Sonic CD vibes to it, it's pretty good yet seems to lack that extra something that makes me think "yep, that's Sonic" but I guess that's no bad thing either.

But the waffling can end up being cohesive if you're trying to get other people to understand why you like the game, and also what kind of game it is. I don't like half-assing it. :|
Yeah, I get that angle as well, maybe i'm just not feeling some of my output so far, well there's plenty of time to brush it up.

It wasn't. Not any more than the SNES version, anyway.
I can now feel the satisfaction returning to my very being, I sort of did it after all.
Figures the Challenge gold medal master can breeze through Lost Levels, it's probably not quite as tough as I remember but i'm so out of practice with the first SMB physics I even find that one kind of tricky these days, then again 3DS slide pad was the last input I used for it and it's not exactly the preferred one.

qq more

What annoys me most is that every.single.fucking.fangame.topic has a lot of people bringing up C&D. Not every god damn company is out for blood on fangames! ARGH

by the way what is this sonic propel I've been hearing about?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The DLC that just keeps on coming, well if asked for, fortunately for your aching fingers I don't really have any need right now for more, i'm still soldiering on.

Before the Sequel has a pretty relaxed and chilled out soundtrack for the most part it seems, as you said there's some Sonic CD vibes to it, it's pretty good yet seems to lack that extra something that makes me think "yep, that's Sonic" but I guess that's no bad thing either.
Well, I think the same could have been said for some of the more recent games's music if you weren't very accustomed to SST's output. Regardless, I'm quite impressed with what they did for the soundtrack overall.

Nope, I think I'm done the DLC! Unless anyone asks for anything else, lol.

What annoys me most is that every.single.fucking.fangame.topic has a lot of people bringing up C&D. Not every god damn company is out for blood on fangames! ARGH
Because SE sent a C/D for the CT games (that CT 3D game... well, I didn't hear a lot of great things about the team developing that, tbh), and Sega sent a C/D for the SoR game.

So because 3 games get a cease and desist order, all of them do! Also, all fan games are terrible! *eyeroll*

by the way what is this sonic propel I've been hearing about?
I just read about that. Apparently it comes from Reddit?

It's Japanese and I'm too tired.

Um, the name's a working title. It's for PS3/360/Wii U (and presumably PC; Wii U dev started later). It has minimal plot, 3DS version to be developed by Dumps, Death Egg returns because Eggman's stubborn as hell, Sonic's model is now different, a bunch of other stuff.

I feel like I should take that with a massive grain of salt. "IT'S IN JAPANESE. IT MUST BE TRUE." Nope.

OMG Aero

I just read about that. Apparently it comes from Reddit?

It's Japanese and I'm too tired.

Um, the name's a working title. It's for PS3/360/Wii U (and presumably PC; Wii U dev started later). It has minimal plot, 3DS version to be developed by Dumps, Death Egg returns because Eggman's stubborn as hell, Sonic's model is now different, a bunch of other stuff.

I feel like I should take that with a massive grain of salt. "IT'S IN JAPANESE. IT MUST BE TRUE." Nope.
Come on now, that sounds fake as hell.

Everyone knows the next Sonic game is Sonic Dimensions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom