• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen

Banned
Couldn't be more wrong. It's sold way more than Colours ever will.

Are you sure about that? The last reported figure for Colours was up to 2.18 million based on the FY2011 report.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=430095

I mean we have a joke data from tssz that puts generations at 1.6-1.7 (Lower than Colours in a similar timeframe) million from ********, but we don't have any real data that I'm aware of.

Sonic Unleashed hit a total of 2.45 Million, and that number is, if statements are to be believed, largely thanks to the Wii version.

http://www.tssznews.com/2009/05/18/sonic-unleashed-segas-3rd-best-seller/

We'll have to see what numbers Generations manages to get to with only the traditionally weaker 2 console platforms for sales, but I'd be surprised if the manage to keep pace with Colours, and there's certainly no chance that Generations has already sold more than Colours ever will.

For a while I really didn't like Rush's soundtrack because it sounded so weird.

Not to mention that Sonic fans have been fed a steady diet of cock rock c/o of Jun "everything is better with a loud slap bass" Senoue and co over the past ten years. I must imagine it to be jarring to hear the work of someone with talent for a change.

Gravijah

Not to mention that Sonic fans have been fed a steady diet of cock rock c/o of Jun "everything is better with a loud slap bass" Senoue and co over the past ten years. I must imagine it to be jarring to hear the work of someone with talent for a change.

yo mang urrthing is better with a loud slap bass.

and don't ever insult butt rock again.

nns3d

Seems like this is the appropriate place to post this.

y_8c67f957.jpg

y_a33aa950.jpg

y_45af88c3.jpg

y_de9d4f5f.jpg

Short video of Tails in City Escape.

Apologies if old!

Sciz

Did you even look at the music section

We've had more than our fair share of everybody, even with Jun Senoue at the helm these days. He's got seniority, which puts him in place as the sound director for these titles, though I'm certain that Naofumi has been around longer and is better in so many ways.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I like Rush/Rush Adventures' soundtracks.

Senoue isn't too bad, but I much prefer Tokoi and Ohtani's work even more. Ohtani and Tokoi have made significant and excellent contributions to the Sonic soundtracks over the past couple of years. The soundtracks in recent memory haven't been completely rock-charged like they were in the Sonic Adventure games as a result of other composers' work, so I'm a little confused by your statement.

The Unleashed and Colours soundtracks have an amazing array of music from various genres, not limited to rock at all... as you can see by part of the music section in the OP.

Gravijah

i totally ignored sonic heroes when it released, but seaside hill music is reallllly good. i should dig into the soundtrack more.

Hey, I liked SA1/2's soundtrack! :( His newer stuff is really hit or miss for me, though.

Also, Billy. Colors is much, much, much better with a GameCube controller than the nunchuck combo. I actually played it my first time with a 360 controller via Dolphin. Works much better than nunchuck.

The Unleashed and Colours soundtracks have an amazing array of music from various genres, not limited to rock at all... as you can see by part of the music section in the OP.

Sonic Rush is 2005 dude. We were coming off the back of Sonic Heroes at that point.

He also keeps coming back. What he did to Sky Sanctuary in Generations should be a war crime against video games.

Gravijah

Sonic Rush is 2005 dude. We were coming off the back of Sonic Heroes at that point.

He also keeps coming back. What he did to Sky Sanctuary in Generations should be a war crime against video games.

he handled sky sanctuary modern, right? i actually like that arrangement.

Jun uses slap bass way and shit-synth a bit too much for my tastes too. But he's good in every other respect. However, the other Wave Master musicians far out-class him.

Gravijah

Jun uses slap bass way and shit-synth a bit too much for my tastes too. But he's good in every other respect. However, the other Wave Master musicians far out-class him.

shit synth?

man whatever, they should just bring the sst band out of retirement and have them arrange sonic music~

Sky Sanctuary was an fantastic piece of epic score constrained by the OPL3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V10lnxggGQ <-- How it should have sounded.

not enough awesome synth and too much fake orchestra.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Dragoon En Regalia said:
Someone needs to give him better synth samples for his birthday. Seriously.

You wrote your last statement as if it were a generalization of the past decade, lol, sorry if I misread it. Though to be fair, given that Adventure was released in 1999, that isn't a lot of Senoue to go around up to the release of Rush.

I don't really mind the Modern Sky Sanctuary. I'm happy that it didn't turn into something it shouldn't have. The Classic Sky Sanctuary is a great remix, though (which Naofumi Hataya arranged).

It wasn't all Jun Senoue behind the Modern Sky Sanctuary, though.
Remixed by Jun Senoue
Sound Produced by Jun Senoue & Richard Jacques

Guitars & Programming: Jun Senoue
Bass: Takeshi Taneda
Additional Synth Programming: Richard Jacques
Sonic music is supposed to be fun most of the time and serious at the most critical moments. I like the tone of the Modern arrangement, but if I guess if it's not your sort of thing, that's fine.

Sky Sanctuary was an fantastic piece of epic score constrained by the OPL3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V10lnxggGQ <-- How it should have sounded.

It sounds good, but it just doesn't feel like Sonic music to me. =/

This is one of my favorites from Project Chaos, though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKDYXjwNpqI

Also, I was looking through some of these Genesis de-makes of the SA2 soundtrack, and I'm kind of of the impression that Knuckles' tracks actually have the most Genesis-era Sonic feel.

Pumpkin Hill: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7Y_mY5LsqQ&feature=related
Wild Canyon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K51duxV83-k&feature=related
Aquatic Mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDV8xjd5GlM

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Also, I was looking through some of these Genesis de-makes of the SA2 soundtrack, and I'm kind of of the impression that Knuckles' tracks actually have the most Genesis-era Sonic feel.

Pumpkin Hill: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7Y_mY5LsqQ&feature=related
Wild Canyon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K51duxV83-k&feature=related
Aquatic Mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDV8xjd5GlM
That guy and Renegade are doing a Sonic Adventure Mega Drive remix album right now, and it sounds immaculate. I've always loved these kinds of FM synth renditions of newer Sonic tunes.

Emitan

(click for BIG)

WHAT THE FUCK IS UP WITH THIS LEVEL

What's the longest Sonic level? It has to be Planet Wisp Classic. Or the last level of Advance 1.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'd also like to know.
First4Figures released them a while ago.

I really wanted the Knuckles figure, but it was either textbooks or the figure at that point, and I had to go with the books, lol.

(click for BIG)

WHAT THE FUCK IS UP WITH THIS LEVEL

What's the longest Sonic level? It has to be Planet Wisp Classic. Or the last level of Advance 1.
Some of the Werehog levels are sleep-inducing the first time you go through them because they're SO LONG, omg. Some of the time trials for them are "finish in under 22 minutes"!

Some of the regular Sonic levels in Unleashed can be long if you make a lot of mistakes too.

But as mentioned before, some of the Sonic 2006 levels can be pretty lengthy.

Really been into reading the Archie Comics lately. Started at 13 a few months back (A friend of mine has a huge ass collection) and I'm at issue 52 at this point.

Richard Jacques is another person who shouldn't be let anywhere near a Sonic game.

Prosecution submits Sonic R as Exhibit A.

wait what

Too late, Sir. He already did the Saturn version of Sonic 3D Blast! Noooooooooooooooo!

—And it was great!

Did you like how he reused most of his Sonic 3D Blast tracks in MSR?

You must have been absolutely giddy firing it up and hearing TJ Davis blair out "It doesn't really matter what you saiiiiiiid matter what you did to meeeeeeeee".

OMG Aero

Oh god please say someone can put Eggman in Modern City Escape so we can get a HD version of that running down the building gif.
Eggmanland.
I'm pretty sure that the time attack mission for that level tasks you with completing it in under 45 minutes, which speaks enough of the level length if that's the time they want you to beat.

qq more

Oh god please say someone can put Eggman in Modern City Escape so we can get a HD version of that running down the building gif.

Eggmanland.
I'm pretty sure that the time attack mission for that level tasks you with completing it in under 45 minutes, which speaks enough of the level length if that's the time they want you to beat.

Oh god, how did I forget Eggmanland? Probably because I didn't experience it... (then again, didn't experienced the later part of 06 either)

Eggmanland.

it took me over an hour to beat Eggmanland first time around (those cheap deaths and QTEs were a bit of a pain), though I never did much of the time trials. There are some videos that shown the level cleared with a time of less than 10 minutes (obviously through glitching).

Also, my copy of the Generations OST has finally arrived, can't wait to go through it.

Christopher

My turn!

Sonic the Hedgehog: Starlight Zone
Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Chemical Plant
Sonic the Hedgehog CD: Palmtree Panic Present (United States) Stardust Speedway BAD (Japanese)
Sonic the Hegehog 3: Ice Cap Zone
Sonic the Hedgehog and Knuckles: Flying Battery

Sonic Adventure: Sky Deck
Sonic Adventure 2: Metal Harbor
Sonic Heroes: Seaside Hill
Sonic 2k6: White Acropolos
Sonic Generations: Crisis City Classic Version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom