• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Razzer

If you don't mind me asking, what're your GotY candidates SonicGAF?

Mine atm include:
Mario and Luigi: Dream Team Bros.
Ace Attorney 5
Killer is Dead
Rayman Legends
Lost Planet 3
Castle of Illusion HD

Honorary mentions: Bravely Default (ordering it from UK come Tuesday) & Super Mario 3D World.

Dota 2
The Last of Us
Super Mario 3D World

These are the only games of 2013 I've played actually. My first couple of months were taken finishing off 2012 stuff, then I spent a couple more going through some older titles, then I started playing Dota near summertime and haven't looked back. I wish I could put it on several times as it has the content and longevity of several games. For me personally it's transcended the criteria I base my lists on as I just can't compare it to anything else (this may also be my brains way of having both Dota and Sonic 3&K at the top of my all time list.)

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #92

Song: The Ash Grove - Main Menu
Game: Sonic and the Black Knight
Composer: Traditional Welsh folk song
Arrangement: Hikaru Tanimoto

Guitar: Hikaru Tanimoto
Hurdy gurdy: Yoshihiro Tsukahara (no, seriously, this is a real instrument)

A public domain tune for a public domain plot. Black Knight's menus are riddled with these acoustic pieces, and they're largely responsible for giving the soundtrack its distinctive feel. Compared to the last game blaring "SEVEN RINGS IN HAND" every five seconds it's an extremely welcome change of pace to hear this simple and sweet melody instead. If you like, pick one of the dozens of sets of lyrics that've been written for it and sing along.

FYC

Banned
Well, I did my GotY post, so hurry up and get to it Schala/Anihawk/Nocturnowl/etc.

Sonic Lost World just missed the cut

Great stuff. Only one I've played on your list is W101 but I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on the other games.

Woah. This is rad.

Reminds me I've never listened to the OST for Black Knight, think I'll go check it out right now.

Razzer

A public domain tune for a public domain plot. Black Knight's menus are riddled with these acoustic pieces, and they're largely responsible for giving the soundtrack its distinctive feel. Compared to the last game blaring "SEVEN RINGS IN HAND" every five seconds it's an extremely welcome change of pace to hear this simple and sweet melody instead. If you like, pick one of the dozens of sets of lyrics that've been written for it and sing along.

Groovy, Iike it. More importantly, I now know why the game Hurdy Gurdy involves so much music.

AniHawk

There is honestly no good reason for Metal Gear Rising to be absent from anyone's GotY list.

i'm thinking better of it the longer time has passed since playing it. the opposite is true of the last of us, especially after playing gone home. don't think the last of us will make my top ten list right now. i call it the red dead redemption effect.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
List some of them pls~ Interested in getting more Mobile games for my iPad an iPhone personally.
wrote list on twitter but reposting because I went through two games enough to know that they're not going to be on my list. Really too bad because I loooove Electronic Super Joy's soundtrack.

P3vsSPj.png

I grabbed a few things on my tablet today so I'll add them soon enough.

Device 6 is absolutely excellent. If you loved anything that 999 tried to do with its platform on the DS in terms of its puzzles, you'll probably enjoy what Device 6 has to offer. I'm super-glad another GAF member recommended it to me. It works so well in terms of it set out to do in a narrative sense, and by using the tablet/phone platform to its advantage. Definitely one of my favourite games of the year.

the stanley parable is a lot of fun for me because the jokes are layered upon themselves. i love how it lampoons traditional video game storytelling and how a lot of times choice is placed as the best thing to do in games. i didn't quite understand what the developers were going for until a few playthroughs in. there's a sort of meta mystery about what is actually happening and it's delivered in an unconventional way.

of the two, i agree with the stanley parable more. it feels like a fairly accurate and very humorous take on video game storytelling and the falseness of choice, and frustration on part of the game designer. i also felt like i was being played pretty hard for emotion in gone home. the stanley parable has by far the better voice performances, although gone home is by no means bad (just a little melodramatic in some ways). puzzles in both games are very simple, but they're integrated nicely and feel natural in their respective worlds.
I'd exchanged a message with another GAF member that essentially went along these lines. The Stanley Parable is incredibly clever just because it loves to poke fun at game design and the illusion of choice. Script, narration and voicework are very well done. What I ended up liking the most about it is that it just runs so contrary to what game design and game release philosophy seems to be these days (I might expand on this in my writeup for it in GotY if it goes on my list somewhere because i do have a lot to say about it). It certainly lives up to its name in terms of being a parable.

I haven't played Gone Home because my computer can't run it, and my cousin has no interest in purchasing it.

Probably won't get around to The Last of Us this year.

Playing Bravely Default and AC4 now. AC4 doesn't seem as garbage as AC3 so far so that's a start. Bravely Default is the bee's knees. Love it to bits so far. They did a lot of good stuff in the game's localization, so some of the stuff I'm hearing in Japanese definitely is much better in the English text.

HUELEN10

I just unlocked Amy in Sonic Dash and uh... what? Why the hell does she run like that

Holy crap, the ads in that game are that bad?

I bought this game day one, and deleted it as soon as it became free-to-play. At least let paid users not have to deal with ads. So thankful Sonic Jump is still safe.

Tizoc

BlackJace

Holy crap, the ads in that game are that bad?

I bought this game day one, and deleted it as soon as it became free-to-play. At least let paid users not have to deal with ads. So thankful Sonic Jump is still safe.

The pop up videos WITH SOUND are pretty recent. Reduced my playtime of the game to like, twice a month.

Sciz

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #93

Song: Emerald Town
Game: Sonic Battle
Composer: Kenichi Tokoi

Colors is the poster child for the wildly elaborate map theme thing, but Battle did it first. Sure, they played over dialogue sometimes, but those just as often used the selection of cutscene music instead.

I have to wonder if Battle's unique sound is the result of the sound team running up against the GBA's limitations and working with them instead of just accepting the sound quality hit like so many other developers. The guitars are crazy harsh, but rarely to a degree that they grow grating, and they leaned heavily on the organ which the Advance games had already proven could sound good on the system. Usually they diversify more than that, especially with Tokoi and Kobayashi involved, but this game's all about finding how many ways there are to use the two together.

BlackJace

Colors is the poster child for the wildly elaborate map theme thing, but Battle did it first. Sure, they played over dialogue sometimes, but those just as often used the selection of cutscene music instead.

I have to wonder if Battle's unique sound is the result of the sound team running up against the GBA's limitations and working with them instead of just accepting the sound quality hit like so many other developers. The guitars are crazy harsh, but rarely to a degree that they grow grating, and they leaned heavily on the organ which the Advance games had already proven could sound good on the system. Usually they diversify more than that, especially with Tokoi and Kobayashi involved, but this game's all about finding how many ways there are to use the two together.

Loved it. The over world of Battle was colorful and actually fun to romp around in just for the visuals alone. I'd leave it running for a few minutes before doing a mission lol.

Razzer

I always thought the unique sound and artstyle made battle seem very street. Kind of like if Sonic went jet set radio in how it felt. This has that kind of rough style that I like. The soloish sections for the guitar and the organ are cool. Just a great tune.

Tizoc

Just to recap:
Sonic 1 and Sonic Triple Trouble are the only worthwhile GG Sonic games on the 3DS right?
Sorry my memory's rather fuzzy regarding these games =_=

Oh and how's Super Mario 3 NES on 3DS? What're the controls like?

Anth0ny

There is honestly no good reason for Metal Gear Rising to be absent from anyone's GotY list.

It's my #6. Awesome game, would have easily been my GOTY in 2012, but this year is fucking stacked.

Wonderful 101, Bioshock Infinite and Pikmin 3 are up there too.

Just to recap:
Sonic 1 and Sonic Triple Trouble are the only worthwhile GG Sonic games on the 3DS right?
Sorry my memory's rather fuzzy regarding these games =_=

Oh and how's Super Mario 3 NES on 3DS? What're the controls like?

Looks like most of them are on there.

If you want a game that can kick you ass, try Sonic 2 GG.

TheOGB

Banned

[...]

Aww yiss

Battle and Advance 3 have two of my favorite Sonic soundtracks because of their unique sound. It's hard to describe, and it's hard to replicate or even emulate (I've tried). It just works, when it so easily could have failed.

PKrockin

Stop posting these. I want a Sonic Battle remake so badly now.

AniHawk

Device 6 is absolutely excellent. If you loved anything that 999 tried to do with its platform on the DS in terms of its puzzles, you'll probably enjoy what Device 6 has to offer. I'm super-glad another GAF member recommended it to me. It works so well in terms of it set out to do in a narrative sense, and by using the tablet/phone platform to its advantage. Definitely one of my favourite games of the year.

if i ever wind up with a smartphone (specifically one from apple), i'll be sure to check it out. that's probably the best thing i've seen about this game.

my list for goty looks something like this:

top ten material
super mario 3d world
tearaway
fire emblem awakening
metal gear rising revengeance
the legend of zelda: a link between worlds
bit.trip beat presents runner 2
pikmin 3
rayman legends
new super luigi u
gone home
the stanley parable

honorable mentions
papers, please (currently unfinished)
the last of us
grand theft auto v
pokemon y
nes remix

to play
ys memories of celceta
wonderful 101
assassin's creed iv
brothers a tale of two sons
batman arkham origins

lttp 2012
hotline miami
(honorable mention: new super mario bros. u)

i will probably not get to more than 3 on the 'to play' list. everything else is sort of falling into place. the ones not hitting any mentions this year, despite playing for more than a couple of hours would be the wind waker hd, sonic lost world (wii u), and animal crossing new leaf. i couldn't get into dragon's crown either, but i barely started it (only about two hours in).

Tizoc

HOLY SHIT, Guess Who was not kidding about the blatant upskirt shots of Amy.

But... wait. Isn't Amy something like 12 in-universe? Ugh.

iF Sonic's anything to go by, she's a teenager like him.
Looks like most of them are on there.

If you want a game that can kick you ass, try Sonic 2 GG.

Yowch might avoid SOnic 2 gg then =P
Dragon Crystal sounds interesting though, will give these games a watch then decide to get them whenever they're on sale.

Sonic 2 for the Game Gear might actually be completable on the 3DS VC, since you could just save scum the damned first boss. Once you get past that... well, the game isn't easy, but it isn't soul-rendingly difficult, either. Just make sure to get the emeralds (they're not that hard to get, barring Sky High's), or else you won't make it to Crystal Egg.

Y'know, one thing that bothers me about the Game Gear Sonic games is how there are only six Chaos Emeralds. I mean, yeah, the first Sonic only had six, too, but there were canonically seven as early as 1992, yet the Game Gear games stuck with six.

They even had brilliant plots about Eggman stealing one of the emeralds, which could easily explain the discrepancy... but nope, that just means you only have five emeralds to get now. They do this same plot three times, even:

• Sonic Chaos, where Eggman gets the red emerald, scattering the others to a parallel dimension and causing South Island to start sinking into the water.
  • Sonic Triple Trouble, where Eggman actually gets all the emeralds, but has a backfire while testing one of his weapons which scatters them, after which he can only reclaim the yellow emerald.
  • Sonic Blast, where Eggman tries to shoot Sonic with a laser beam but winds up hitting the gray emerald instead, shattering it into five shards, which he then goes and claims while Sonic and Knuckles have to get the other emeralds. (I might be misreading SNN's plot summary, and S&K actually go out to get the shards and Eggman gets diddly squat, not sure.)
...and yet, in all they just use it to justify not including a sixth emerald instead of why they don't have seven. I'm not sure if that's an admirably sticking to continuity with the other Game Gear games, or just laziness concerning not making sixth special stages for their games. I'm leaning toward the latter.

Also, as a non sequitur, I still can't get over how good "Turnabout for Tomorrow" was, good God in heaven

Rlan

I'm also guessing it's so that they didn't have to include some type of Super Sonic reward as well, and continue the "slightly different ending" route from Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 on the Game Gear. Labyrinth also had a 6 Chaos Emerald limit.\

Also just lower level counts in general, and how you get an emerald (via Special Stage or found in a level) changed with every game. Shit has never been tied down for Emerald nabbing, even in the most recent games it's not - just lying around the world, special stage, a weird spring, on a space station collected by playing as a robot version of yourself.

TheOGB

Banned
HOLY SHIT, Guess Who was not kidding about the blatant upskirt shots of Amy.

But... wait. Isn't Amy something like 12 in-universe? Ugh.
Every time I reach a spring I'm like
O8StJGT.gif

Thank goodness I'm too wrapped up in Ski Safari Adventure Time to spend a lot of time playing Dash.

Top Bottom