• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: 100 million sold (PS3/PS4/Vita)

jakncoke

Banned
Why is it so surprising? Wii U was at 6.17 million more than 3 months ago, and PSV has been out for nearly 3 years,

I guess all those 20k months in the USA has suppressed my expectations of Vita ltd, that and we(well i dont recall) much of anything in terms of numbers coming from EU. So 3 million japan, a lot of bad USA months and a mystery EU number.

Tacosmell

Banned
Unrelated to this post but can someone tell me WHY!!! here in Canada the Xbox One sells for 399$, the Playstation 4 was 399$ but went up to 450$..... I would make my own thread but it seems that this site wont let me do that for unknown reasons.

Thank you

For all three to combine to 100 million like that, one console must be doing better numbers than I realised.

come on vita, get in there my son

Lexxism

Unrelated to this post but can someone tell me WHY!!! here in Canada the Xbox One sells for 399$, the Playstation 4 was 399$ but went up to 450$..... I would make my own thread but it seems that this site wont let me do that for unknown reasons.

Thank you

Weak Canadian Dollar. MS didn't bother to increase it because they want their console to sell

edit: Because you're a Junior. This site won't let a Junior create thread.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops

Thank you
Fuck maple syrup

Thank you

$399 USD = $425 CAD at current exchange rates. At the time the PS4 price went up, it was actually $445 so the $450 price point made sense. It's the same reason games occasionally go from $59.99 to 69.99 here, Sony was simply following the market. If the loonie makes more gains on the US dollar, expect the price to drop again.

As for MS - I can only speculate they didn't raise the price because they decided to eat the loss in order to sell more systems. They've got money to burn, Sony does not.

Fuck maple syrup

picard-gtfo.jpg

rjc571

Banned
Where the hell are people getting 8M Vitas from? It just passed 3M in Japan (by far its strongest territory), and its LTD NPD sales are less than 2M.

Thank you

Sony raised the price in Canada to account for the fluctuations in exchange rates. It's all BS, but that's the reason.

Where the hell are people getting 8M Vitas from? It just passed 3M in Japan (by far its strongest territory), and its LTD NPD sales are less than 2M.

Oh I know, I came up with my 8 million Vita sales based on PS3 + PS4 guesstimates (82 + 10).

If Vita is at 6-7 million, that means Sony sold 13-14 million PS3/PS4s since November. That's crazy.

OmahaG8

Come on Sony, drop the price of that PS3 and give me a less hideous model, maybe creak towards 100 million being a more budget price.

I need a new once since my beloved OG PS3 passed away this year *sheds tear*.

It lived a good life, I am sure. Mine is still chugging. Maybe I should go.. hug it, while it's still around.

I guess all those 20k months in the USA has suppressed my expectations of Vita ltd, that and we(well i dont recall) much of anything in terms of numbers coming from EU. So 3 million japan, a lot of bad USA months and a mystery EU number.

Well we're not completely in the dark for PSV numbers.

Sony shipments (of PSP + PSV):

April - June 2012: 1.4 million
July - September 2012: 1.6 million
October - December 2012: 2.7 million
January - March 2013: 1.3 million
April 2013 - June 2013: 0.6 million
July - September 2013: 0.8 million
October - December 2013: 2.0 million
January - March 2014: 0.7 million

Through March 2012: 1.8 million (PSV only)
April 2012 - March 2013: 7.0 million (PSP + PSV)
April 2013 - March 2014: 4.1 million (PSP + PSV)

Maximum threshold for Vita sales: 12.9 million (assuming PSV sold 100% and PSP sold 0%)

PSP Sales in Japan since Vita's release: 1,553,451

Maximum threshold for Vita sales (minus PSP Japan): 11.35 million

For USA + Europe + PAL, let's knock off 3 million of PSP sales for good measure.

Vita shipments: 8.35 million

See? It's not that unbelievable.

Ok, so I found this which had Japan Vita sales at 3,001,854 at the end of June. If anyone can dig up some NA or Europe numbers we can paint a better picture.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/07/...ystation-vita-reach-sales-milestones-in-japan

We had some good calculation for first years of Vita when Nintendo was still publishing graphs in their reports. Going by memory it was close to 1500k in Europe and slightly less in USA. Plus whatever was sold since then + sales in countries outside of Nintendo definition of Europe.

I'd guess 7-7,5 milions

Why are people having a hard time believing Vita is at 8 million sold? We don't have Europe numbers so odds are it doing almost as good there as it is in Japan. At least it should be since Europe gets all the best Vita bundles.

Why are people having a hard time believing Vita is at 8 million sold? We don't have Europe numbers so odds are it doing almost as good there as it is in Japan. At least it should be since Europe gets all the best Vita bundles.

So 3 mil Japan + 3 mil Europe + 2 mil NA? Seems reasonable.

I really dislike the way Sony has been presenting their sales data ever since the Vita release. Recently they even stopped giving software breakdown.

Olli128

EU an the UK in particular are a big market for Sony handhelds so 8m isn't surprising. Hell the PSP was the fastest selling console ever in the UK till ps4 release.

If someone can figure out PS4's #s I can maybe finally get an NPD prediction right for once.

It's most likely over 8M, just as the Vita and PS3 are over any round figure we're estimating. They're saying "over 100m" so it's not exactly at 100m. They're not gonna come out with "over 102m".

Top Bottom