• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: 100 million sold (PS3/PS4/Vita)

Fuck maple syrup

mega-squint.jpg

what did you say?

jakncoke

Banned
Well we're not completely in the dark for PSV numbers.

Sony shipments (of PSP + PSV):

April - June 2012: 1.4 million
July - September 2012: 1.6 million
October - December 2012: 2.7 million
January - March 2013: 1.3 million
April 2013 - June 2013: 0.6 million
July - September 2013: 0.8 million
October - December 2013: 2.0 million
January - March 2014: 0.7 million

Through March 2012: 1.8 million (PSV only)
April 2012 - March 2013: 7.0 million (PSP + PSV)
April 2013 - March 2014: 4.1 million (PSP + PSV)

Maximum threshold for Vita sales: 12.9 million (assuming PSV sold 100% and PSP sold 0%)

PSP Sales in Japan since Vita's release: 1,553,451

Maximum threshold for Vita sales (minus PSP Japan): 11.35 million

For USA + Europe + PAL, let's knock off 3 million of PSP sales for good measure.

Vita shipments: 8.35 million

See? It's not that unbelievable.

I see. Always bet on aqua

My guess:

PS3: 84M
PSV: 8M
PS4: 8M

MS reported 84M last month for 360, both HD consoles are neck and neck.
Microsoft was reporting 84M sold (shipped) to retailers, not sold through to consumers. Realistically at this point, Sony could have sold 83M and possibly still be ahead.

My guess:

PS3: 83.7M
PSV: 8.4M
PS4: 8.8M

That's why I'm guessing it's currently around 9mil.

If PS4 is 9 million and we say Vita is no higher than 8 - that means PS3 did 3 million from Nov - July, seems far too high considering XB1 is at 4-5 million. Vita must be selling better than people think, it's the only thing I can think of.

Yoda

If PS4 is 9 million and we say Vita is no higher than 8 - that means PS3 did 3 million from Nov - July, seems far too high considering XB1 is at 4-5 million. Vita must be selling better than people think, it's the only thing I can think of.

Or they are citing the PS4 shipped number as opposed to sold to consumers?

I really don't think so.

See the following:

PS3 + PS4 shipments, October - December 2013: 7.8 million
---PS4 sales to consumers (shipments + sales are synonymous), December 28th, 2013: 4.2 million

Ergo:

PS3 Shipments, October - December 2013: 3.6 million

PS3 + PS4 Shipments, January - March 2014: 3.4 million
---PS4 sales to consumers (shipments + sales are close to each other), April 6th, 2014: 7.0 million

Ergo:

PS4, April 6th, 2014: 7.0 million
PS4, December 28th, 2013: 4.2 million
PS4, January - March 2014: 2.8 million

PS3 Shipments, January - March 2014: 0.6 million

And so:

PS3 Shipments, October - December 2013: 3.6 million

PS3 Shipments, October 2013 - March 2014: 4.2 million

SDCowboy

Then maybe the vita did higher, but I can't see the PS4 being below 9 with how long ago 7 was announced.

I really don't think so.

See the following:

PS3 + PS4 shipments, October-December 2013: 7.8 million
---PS4 sales to consumers (shipments + sales are synonymous), December 28th, 2013: 4.2 million

Ergo:

PS3 Shipments, October-December 2013: 3.6 million

PS3 + PS4 Shipments, January-March 2014: 3.4 million
---PS4 sales to consumers (shipments + sales are close to each other), April 6th, 2014: 7.0 million

Ergo:

PS4, April 6th, 2014: 7.0 million
PS4, December 28th, 2013: 4.2 million
PS4, January - March 2014: 2.8 million

And so:

PS3 Shipments, October-December 2013: 3.6 million

PS3 Shipments, October 2013 - March 2014: 4.2 million

Damnnnn. Impressive numbers from PS3. I don't know why but I was under the impression it dropped off a cliff after PS4 launch.

Sold as in sold-through to consumers or sold-in to retailers?

Most likely sold to retailers (shipped)...like what Sony reports to its investors every quarter.

It's a much more precise metric they can keep track of, it shows a larger / more impressive results, and it disregards poorly-selling inventory.

Sony only estimates PS4 sell-through when they say "7 million sold to consumers," and that's because they know from countless retail reports that shipments and sales have been pretty synonymous with each other so far.

But they know shipments down to the exact number.

It's most likely over 8M, just as the Vita and PS3 are over any round figure we're estimating. They're saying "over 100m" so it's not exactly at 100m. They're not gonna come out with "over 102m".
That giveths me some wiggle room.

Maximum threshold for Vita sales (minus PSP Japan): 11.35 million

For USA + Europe + PAL, let's knock off 3 million of PSP sales for good measure.

Vita shipments: 8.35 million

So 8.35...plus 84 million...equals (at least) 7.65 million. Probably closer to 9 million?

They should hit 10 by the end of summer then. Good times.

Game Guru

It's wikipedia. Regardless of citations it's still wikipedia.

As in it's not a reliable source of information.

Hasn't it been proven that Wikipedia is no less accurate than any other encyclopedia? People shouldn't cite Wikipedia in papers not because it is inaccurate, but that, as an encyclopedia, it is a tertiary source of information when a paper should be filled with primary and secondary sources... which is the citations that Wikipedia uses for its own information.

LeonSPBR

Just went to vgchar and they put PS3 with 82.5M, PS4 with 8,3M and PSV with 8,5M.

Almost correct with Sony numbers, IMO PS3 has 83M and PSV and PS4 has 8.5M each.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Yeah, waiting on more precise numbers than "more than 100M including...".
Pretty sure the PS4 is above the Vita too.

But what about the Xbox family*?

90M would be the next benchmark, 360 at 80mil something, X1 going toward 10mil. To be fair, Sony is including their last gen system, current gen, and handheld. MS only has last gen and current gen to add up towards a "family".

Edit: Nintendo is the same as Sony, but for some reason I didnt think they included Wii numbers in their stuff.

Bitanator

How is the Vita doing in comparison to the Sega Saturn? Can it breathe long enough to take the champion of champions?

Bsigg12

PSX - 102M

PS2 - 155M

PSP - 80M

It's weird when you see this because it puts into perspective how much gaming has changed and how other electronics (other consoles and smart devices) have bitten into the console business. Sony, Sega and Nintendo all hit gold all around the same time and while the industry is still worth billions of dollars, I doubt we'll ever reach PS2 level of sales again.

How is the Vita doing in comparison to the Sega Saturn? Can it breathe long enough to take the champion of champions?

Let's say I'm right and Vita has shipped 8.35 million units so far.

That would make it something like this:

Sega Dreamcast - 10.6 million units shipped
Sega Saturn - 9.5 million units shipped
PlayStation Vita - 8.35 million units shipped so far

Here is a Japanese sales comparison (Famitsu data):

Sega Saturn - 5,900,000 sold to consumers
PlayStation Vita - 2,936,556 units sold to consumers
Sega Dreamcast - 1,918,837 sold to consumers

And a USA sales comparison:

Sega Dreamcast - 4.0 million units sold to consumers
PlayStation Vita - 1.8-1.9 million units sold to consumers
Sega Saturn - 1.4 million units sold to consumers

Bitanator

Let's say I'm right and Vita has shipped 8.35 million units so far.

That would make it something like this:

Sega Dreamcast - 10.6 million units shipped
Sega Saturn - 9.5 million units shipped
PlayStation Vita - 8.35 million units shipped so far

Here is a Japanese sales comparison (Famitsu data):

Sega Saturn - 5,900,000 sold to consumers
PlayStation Vita - 2,936,556 units sold to consumers
Sega Dreamcast - 1,918,837 sold to consumers

And a USA sales comparison:

Sega Dreamcast - 4.0 million units sold to consumers
PlayStation Vita - 1.8-1.9 million units sold to consumers
Sega Saturn - 1.4 million units sold to consumers

So it will at least pass the Saturn's overall LTD. I wonder if it can overpass the satun's Japanese sales.

The word "million" is forever ruined for me by Tak Fuji. I simply cannot help but read any headline that says "x million" in his voice, even if it's non gaming related. He lives in my head. Fuck!

This constant Vita hate/bad sales predictions is baffling. Even more so when people are too kind on Wii U.

These are taken from NPD and Media Create threads

WiiU USA + Japan Sales:

2.4 m + 1.82 m = 4,22 m

PSV USA + Japan Sales:

1.8 m + 2.93 m = 4.73 m

So that leaves Europe and rest of the world. And we know which system has gotten negative shipments.

Oh and any counter argument that PSV has been on sale for longer is bit stupid, because we are still comparing PS3 and X360, PS2 and GC&Xbox etc.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Why? Because half of GAF wants the Vita dead.
Only half?
Between Nintendo, Sony home console and IOS owners i would say that most of GAF want Vita dead, ironically the only ones that don't want Vita dead(because they just don't care) are XBOX owners...

Top Bottom