• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: 100 million sold (PS3/PS4/Vita)

Darius

Banned
This constant Vita hate/bad sales predictions is baffling. Even more so when people are too kind on Wii U.

These are taken from NPD and Media Create threads

WiiU USA + Japan Sales:

2.4 m + 1.82 m = 4,22 m

PSV USA + Japan Sales:

1.8 m + 2.93 m = 4.73 m

So that leaves Europe and rest of the world. And we know which system has gotten negative shipments.

Oh and any counter argument that PSV has been on sale for longer is bit stupid, because we are still comparing PS3 and X360, PS2 and GC&Xbox etc.

Sony made clear what their position is when it comes to PSV. No need to get defensive just because people are stating the obvious. About your comparison, it´s rather useless and by the end of the year even this "point" will be void.

Sony made clear what their position is when it comes to PSV. No need to get defensive just because people are stating the obvious. About your comparison, it´s rather useless and by the end of the year even this "point" will be void.

Yes they have. Sony is going to keep selling Vitas. They have said this penty of times but yet people like to ignore that.

And dont do predictions about future. Most predictions are never going to happen.
Who would have thought that Wii would be such a huge success? Who would have thought that random new console maker would suddenly become Nintendo's biggest rival and sells way more than them? Who would have thought that PS3 would have such a bad start?

And yes, before 3DS got price cut, more 3rd party games & Monster Hunter, people predicted that Vita would have sold better.

So dont predict that Wii U would suddenly sell that much better. Perhaps WiiU USA+Japan will beat Vita USA+japan, but perhaps not the worldwide sales.

Of course this conversation would probably go defensive for both WiiU and Vita, so its best to say that both of them have sold like shit. Atleast there is no debate to that? :p

And before this is going off-topic, it is likely that 100 m sales goes:

PS3 84 m +
PS4 8.5 m +
PSV 8 m +

Despite lumping sales together PS3 sales should still be good. Not to mention PS4 has had great start.

This constant Vita hate/bad sales predictions is baffling. Even more so when people are too kind on Wii U.

These are taken from NPD and Media Create threads

WiiU USA + Japan Sales:

2.4 m + 1.82 m = 4,22 m

PSV USA + Japan Sales:

1.8 m + 2.93 m = 4.73 m

So that leaves Europe and rest of the world. And we know which system has gotten negative shipments.

Oh and any counter argument that PSV has been on sale for longer is bit stupid, because we are still comparing PS3 and X360, PS2 and GC&Xbox etc.

I do have to say some people truly underestimate how bad WiiU sold.

It's weird when you see this because it puts into perspective how much gaming has changed and how other electronics (other consoles and smart devices) have bitten into the console business. Sony, Sega and Nintendo all hit gold all around the same time and while the industry is still worth billions of dollars, I doubt we'll ever reach PS2 level of sales again.
If Sega hit gold they'd still be in the game.

Lemmy

Banned
Not bad, but I'd have thought the Vita and PS4 numbers would be reversed tbh.

Guess Vita might just make it to 10 mil before it's done after all, lol.

About your comparison, it´s rather useless and by the end of the year even this "point" will be void.

Out of interest, how so?

Oh god and then there is some people that think that Vita wont make it beyond 2015 or even less.

Playstation systems lifespands:

PS1 1994-2004 - 10 years
PS2 2000-2013 - 13 years
PS3 2006-2014+ - 8+ years
PSP 2004-2014(+?) - 10(+?) years

PSV 2011-2014+ - 3+ years

Geez, I sure do think Vita is dead by next year. /s

I would be actually surprised if it would die soon. Playstation system dying early would be unheard of.

Oh god and then there is some people that think that Vita wont make it beyond 2015 or even less.

PS1 1994-2004 - 10 years
PS2 2000-2013 - 13 years

I would be actually surprised if it would die soon. Playstation system dying early would be unheard of.

Well what's the definition of "dead"? Complete cessation of all hardware shipments?

Because if you look at hardware and software allocation, it's already dead in various territories as-is. Like the USA where many shops haven't received a new Vita shipment in months outside of a small burst of the new model.

Or in places in Europe like the UK where Vita software is barely stocked at all:

j53B3Fl.png

And Sony has made it pretty clear that it's going to become quite dead 1st-party wise. Its remaining life will be on the backs of primarily-Japanese and Indie game developers.

PS1 1994-2004 - 10 years
PS2 2000-2013 - 13 years

You gotta let it go. Vita can't be compared to the PSP or other Sony home consoles.

Dredd97

This is pretty silly.
If Nintendo wanted to copy them, they could come out and say 150 Million Sold (Wii/Wii U/3DS).

And Sony could just lump psp numbers in there as they still seem to be selling that system too...

It's a bit pointless tbh and will just lead to endless bickering...

You gotta let it go. Vita can't be compared to the PSP or other Sony home consoles.

Of course not. I just feel like it could be comparable against WiiU. And in that regard many people consider Wii U healtier than Vita which I dont see as true. Quite frankly it wouldnt matter as much if Wii U wouldnt be praised that much(recently, I do remember 2013s Wii U troubles).

Perhaps everyone got tired of Wii U hate and having a good E3 made Wii U seem more viable. Not to mention actual big good 1st party games. Its just frustating that Vita gets currently most hate, when Wii U is technically in the same level.

EDIT:
Well what's the definition of "dead"? Complete cessation of all hardware shipments?

Because if you look at hardware and software allocation, it's already dead in various territories as-is. Like the USA where many shops haven't received a new Vita shipment in months outside of a small burst of the new model.

Or in places in Europe like the UK where Vita software is barely stocked at all:

j53B3Fl.png

And Sony has made it pretty clear that it's going to become quite dead 1st-party wise. Its remaining life will be on the backs of primarily-Japanese and Indie game developers.

Dead as in, system itself is discontinued.
Even if we would try to factor digital sales, there is no way Vita software sales are that alive. :p

90M would be the next benchmark, 360 at 80mil something, X1 going toward 10mil. To be fair, Sony is including their last gen system, current gen, and handheld. MS only has last gen and current gen to add up towards a "family".

Edit: Nintendo is the same as Sony, but for some reason I didnt think they included Wii numbers in their stuff.

Going toward? As in it might get there by next Spring?

90M would be the next benchmark, 360 at 80mil something, X1 going toward 10mil. To be fair, Sony is including their last gen system, current gen, and handheld. MS only has last gen and current gen to add up towards a "family".

Edit: Nintendo is the same as Sony, but for some reason I didnt think they included Wii numbers in their stuff.

They also have OG Xbox, 25 million just sitting there waiting to be claimed.

Why is it so surprising? Wii U was at 6.17 million more than 3 months ago, and PSV has been out for nearly 3 years,

It's just hard to imagine when in Japan, the only place it is selling decently, it is only at 3 million. It pretty much bombed everywhere else, so it's hard to see 8 million for us without access to NPD.

I'm curious, could you give us an estimate of total US sales? Anyone have access to European sales?

I doubt anyone wants the Vita dead. It's an awesome device. Some people are just very negative about its prospects.

Lots of people want Vita dead because that would be the perfect scenario for them as far as handhelds go. They also want a few consoles dead too, but it looks a lot harder, so you don't see that desire so explicit.

Fake edit:

It's just hard to imagine when in Japan, the only place it is selling decently, it is only at 3 million. It pretty much bombed everywhere else, so it's hard to see 8 million for us without access to NPD.

If you consider NA, PAL regions and Japan as "the whole world", it becomes harder to believe in the 8-9 million estimation.

shandy706

Lots of people want Vita dead because that would be the perfect scenario for them as far as handhelds go. They also want a few consoles dead too, but it looks a lot harder, so you don't see that desire so explicit.

People actually wanting hardware to fail blows my mind.

I can't imagine having such a negative/hateful attitude.

I'll laugh at some hilarious attempts at gaming hardware (there were a ton in the 80s and 90s), but I'd never wish for a capable system from any maker to fail.

Thinking about it, its not that people want Vita dead, its that people EXPECT Vita to be dead or atleast to die soon.

... Thats not much better.

On Demand

Banned
7.6 million PS4's? Yeah that has to be wrong. They sold 7 as of April. So in 3 months they only sold 600K?????? They sell 200K in the US alone.

Show me a few examples of people who want the Vita dead.

I don't think it is good to point users, because it would quickly become a "flame war". Besides, these users could just say "I have never said I want Vita dead", but by their post history you can see that they jump into almost every discussion about Vita to celebrate its lack of success, to celebrate that games are not coming to Vita, and to provide "logical reasons" for why certain games should be released in other systems instead of Vita.

People actually wanting hardware to fail blows my mind.

I can't imagine having such a negative/hateful attitude.

I'll laugh at some hilarious attempts at gaming hardware (there were a ton in the 80s and 90s), but I'd never wish for a capable system from any maker to fail.

But many people want hardware to fail, because in their ideal world only one hardware maker should exist, and all the games should go to that platform. And it is not exclusive of one hardware maker, there are people who want different hardware makers to be the only ones to remain.

I don't think it is good to point users, because it would quickly become a "flame war". Besides, these users could just say "I have never said I want Vita dead", but by their post history you can see that they jump into almost every discussion about Vita to celebrate its lack of success, to celebrate that games are not coming to Vita, and to provide "logical reasons" for why certain games should be released in other systems instead of Vita.

Eh, if they made those kinds of claims on this forum, it's fair game to post them again wherever you want

I just find it incredibly hard to believe anyone is actually wants the Vita dead. I need to see those posts to convince myself that such lunacy exists.

Vita has sold over 8 million?

thats kind of surprising

Sega Saturn was a failure and it sold 9.5 million.

The actual 8 million isn't that important. It's how much will the system continue to grow above 8 million that's the million dollar question.

Considering the system is nearly 3 years old, and it doesn't seem to be growing very fast, I'd say don't expect significantly higher. I don't think the console can double 8 million to 16 million by the time everything is said and done.

The only certainty is that it's more than 100 million between the three.
The number in the video goes up to 120 million, but that seems unreasonable.

VSynk

Banned
That seems a bit...low to me considering how long ago 7 million sold-through was announced. But these are all estimates of course.

Hype Going down, no great games launched since I:SS, i for one am just going to buy the white model when it comes out and i am not going to rush the store for it.

I love Japanese games so there is nothing worth the buy, and the PS3\Vita 3DS can still keep me satisfied.

Lemmy

Banned
I just find it incredibly hard to believe anyone is actually wants the Vita dead. I need to see those posts to convince myself that such lunacy exists.

I kinda do actually. I plan on getting a PS4 before the end of the year and Sony are just wasting resources on Vita at this point. Nothing is going to change things for it, so better to call it a day and focus on what sells so I have more to look forward to on PS4, which is likely to be around for a while yet.

Simultaneously, I also have some stuff I would like to play on Vita so when it gets shitcanned and the pricing on the consoles, games and memory cards plummets I'll be able to pick over the bones like a vulture. Interesting a console though it may be, it's done, and the less I have to spend indulging my curiousity about it, the better.

If any of this makes me a bad person, so be it, but I don't think it's a terribly unrealistic way to look at the situation.

Did you know how good, dog? Answer the man! :p

ethomaz

Banned
7.65m for PS4 ia impossible with the data we already have (Sony, NPD, Japan, etc)... unless PS4 sold nothing in Europe and others regions last two months.

So PS4 minimum is 8.5 million... Vita didn't reached 8 million yet.

OP needs to make another estimate.

My estimates:

84m
8.5m
7.5m

7.65m for PS4 ia impossible with the data we already have (Sony, NPD, Japan, etc)... unless PS4 sold nothing in Europe and others regions last two months.

So PS4 minimum is 8.5 million.

OP needs to make another estimate.

I made that based on Aquamarine's estimates for PS3 + Vita, (84 + 8.35) and just subtracted those from the 100.

But you are right - it does seem too low. I'll round Vita down and PS4 up so they're 8 each. I'm pretty sure the 84m PS3 number is accurate, though. So PS4/Vita are somewhere around 16m combined.

I made that based on Aquamarine's estimates for PS3 + Vita, (84 + 8.35) and just subtracted those from the 100.

But you are right - it does seem too low. I'll round Vita down and PS4 up so they're 8 each. I'm pretty sure the 84m PS3 number is accurate, though. So PS4/Vita are somewhere around 16m combined.
They said "more than 100 million".

Deadbeat

Banned

But by mid April the PS4 had sold 7 million units. So its got to be more than 8 million by now.

yurinka

Nice to see both PS3, PS4 and Vita doing a good job.

The 84/8/8 estimate seems fair specially considering they said "more than 100M".

Btw which are the last known Wii LTD worldwide sales?

Is it possible for PS3 WW LTD to outsell Wii WW LTD somewhere in the future following the trend? (let's assume PS3 reaches its 10 year lifecycle)

But by mid April the PS4 had sold 7 million units. So its got to be more than 8 million by now.

We haven't seen NPD numbers lately - I think it's quite possible that It's selling 150k or less in NA per month at the moment? It's dropped off a cliff in Japan - last I saw the VIta was selling double what PS4 is there (25k to 13k one month). If Europe numbers are similar to NA we could be looking at ~350k WW per month, which would definitely put it around 8 million at this point. Of course, it could also be much higher...

I doubt anyone wants the Vita dead. It's an awesome device. Some people are just very negative about its prospects.

No it's true. There's quite a few jerks who want Sony to kill off the vita because they believe any resources devoted to it are a complete waste and should be redirected to it's console brethren, i.e. PS3/PS4.

Look through any vita discussion thread regarding it's future and you'll see them.

marrec

Banned
Most of which are wrong, and wikipedias policy is not to be factually accurate, if bad/misleading information is all the "users" find then it will be put on as fact.

but... this one is factually accurate.

Complaining about people assuming Wiki citations are accurate while assuming that they're wrong is pretty silly when you can just follow it back to the original source and verify for yourself.

yurinka

Vita is quite opposite of good job, It is right there with the worst selling consoles in its third year. I will be surprised if it reached 15 million at the end of its life.
I think you'll be surprised. I'd say it's starting to improve recently thanks to the synergy with PS4 due to Remote Play / PS+ / CrossBuy and soon PS TV / PS Now and will improve more as PS4 installbase keeps growing. I also think some few games like Minecraft (it will be the best portable version by far) will help its sales.

Sega Saturn was a failure and it sold 9.5 million.

The actual 8 million isn't that important. It's how much will the system continue to grow above 8 million that's the million dollar question.

Considering the system is nearly 3 years old, and it doesn't seem to be growing very fast, I'd say don't expect significantly higher. I don't think the console can double 8 million to 16 million by the time everything is said and done.

Comparison is silly, Satrun sold that much over a large extended period of time mostly due to japan.

but... this one is factually accurate.

Complaining about people assuming Wiki citations are accurate while assuming that they're wrong is pretty silly when you can just follow it back to the original source and verify for yourself.

Issue sis this is wrong 90% of the time, i never said this thing here was bad. You came to that assumption on your own.

Bitanator

I think you'll be surprised. I'd say it's starting to improve recently thanks to the synergy with PS4 due to Remote Play / PS+ / CrossBuy and soon PS TV / PS Now and will improve more as PS4 installbase keeps growing. I also think some few games like Minecraft (it will be the best portable version by far) will help its sales.

That sounds like direct PR from Andrew House. Selling 7 million more is going to be hard when even if those above mentioned do have a slightly better uptick in sales for the device, it is not going to be selling 100,000 a month. It will probably take two years for the Vita to reach those sales, if it even does. In japan even, the thing considered "healthy" now by the few who want to believe that, will not reach the Saturn's LTD of 5.9 million

Btw which are the last known Wii LTD worldwide sales?

Is it possible for PS3 WW LTD to outsell Wii WW LTD somewhere in the future following the trend? (let's assume PS3 reaches its 10 year lifecycle)

101 million as of March 2014.

Probably not. Last gen consoles seem to be dying off pretty quick but maybe a significant price drop might help.

Top Bottom