• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces PS4 Pro, $399, November 10th

If Amazon could do some SSD lightning deals at the start of November that would be fantastic. Would get the 1TB Evo as is but if the 2TB got some big discount...

Jimrpg

Its actually not looking like it right now the OG ps4 price has tanked at all of our stores there offering between $125 and $100 depending on which one you have the $25 difference for the 1TB system is complete and utter bullshit. I think were doing a 20% or more bonus for the system if its traded directly for a pro but that's still bullshit at $100....... probably shouldn't be venting on here but I'm pretty pissed with what's happening with some of the new policies in the pipeline. The whole early enlisters editions and the hike in season passes as well as the dumb ass preorder incentives are really starting to get to me...... If you all knew what was on the way. Early enlisters is going to become a thing so were talking $80 dollars minimum for games three days early if that and a hike in season passes $60 for certain games and if they don't do that there talking about multiple season passes at $40 a pop and up to 4 season passes. .......

It's a no brainer to keep the PS4 if they're only offering $100.

As for early enlister versions, tbh, I think somebody has to pay for the CEO's salary and bonuses, and playing three days later isn't really that big of a deal I think. It does suck there's now 'business' class and 'cattle' class but somebody has to pay for increasing costs. At least they are not charging $70 across the board for new games.

Pre ordered and ready: is there any Worst Buy employees here on gaf that have insider knowledge to a trade in deal? It's strange, being so close to launch and I haven't seen a single advertisement for the pro. What up with that?

I'm going for the GAME trade in deal, which now after reading the small print seems better than I though.

Get the pro half price when trading in a PS4 and any five games, with the five games then coming of the 174 price if I've read the small print right.

sasliquid

I think I'll pick one up around the 25/11. If I have to get one game to showcase on a 1080p tv what is it looking like it should be?

Battlefield 1? FFXV? Something else?

coopolon

Another reason I am probably going to get one is for the improved remote play capability. That doesn't get mentioned a lot but as someone who likes to be able to play anywhere in the house, better quality is always appreciated.

Just ordered the PS4 Pro.
I want to experience the best version of Final Fantasy 15 on day 1 :)

Also hope the ps4 pro will be quieter than the regular ps4. Are there any reports regarding this?

Also hope the ps4 pro will be quieter than the regular ps4. Are there any reports regarding this?

I have a launch PS4 and playing the Division sounded like a jet airplane. I have heard all new PS4s are much quieter.

Ozorov

If I've read correctly, the Pro will record game footage in 1080p/30 and maybe higher res screenshots ?

Q: Will the Share button capture higher quality game content with PS4 Pro games?
When playing a game with PS4 Pro features, using DUALSHOCK 4’s Share button will generate higher resolution gameplay clips and screenshots compared to the standard PS4. Specifics will vary by game, but some games will support full 1080p video capture, and screenshots at up to 3840 x 2160 (4K) pixels.

Q: Will I be able to Broadcast my gameplay at higher settings?
Yes. At launch, you will be able to broadcast a YouTube stream at as high as 1080p and 60 frames per second.

sfedai0

Banned
The only folks that are kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place are the early adopters of 4k sets with no HDR. Probably hard to justify buying a pro and a more modern 4k set as well.

timewyrm

Q: Will the Share button capture higher quality game content with PS4 Pro games?
When playing a game with PS4 Pro features, using DUALSHOCK 4’s Share button will generate higher resolution gameplay clips and screenshots compared to the standard PS4. Specifics will vary by game, but some games will support full 1080p video capture, and screenshots at up to 3840 x 2160 (4K) pixels.

Implying that it's not universal ? (Sorry if I seem thick)

Q: Will I be able to Broadcast my gameplay at higher settings?
Yes. At launch, you will be able to broadcast a YouTube stream at as high as 1080p and 60 frames per second.

So while one cannot record in 1080p/60, you can stream it. Would it have more compression if I was to stream to YT and then download that file instead ?

timewyrm

The only folks that are kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place are the early adopters of 4k sets with no HDR. Probably hard to justify buying a pro and a more modern 4k set as well.

That's how I feel regarding my tv. I'll probably wait until a few months after Scorpio to be honest, and then see whether it's worth it for both consoles. (Soft edit): Actually, thinking about it, with some people saying that hdr may increase lag, I'm happy to wait and see the outcome.

Edit: sorry, I have one more question: my Bravia has the 4K X-reality pro chip that must be upscaling the res at the moment. Will I notice a difference with the pS4 Pro doing this job instead? Screen is 55", and I sit about 6 feet away.

Tagg9

Edit: sorry, I have one more question: my Bravia has the 4K X-reality pro chip that must be upscaling the res at the moment. Will I notice a difference with the pS4 Pro doing this job instead? Screen is 55", and I sit about 6 feet away.

For 1080p games? No, there won't likely be a difference. But if games come with a PS4 Pro mode that outputs at 4K (either native or checkerboard) you should be able to see a noticeable increase in clarity.

Metfanant

Remember...the Pro is marginally bigger than the OG PS4...but significantly more powerful...

That being said, how would anyone report on something that nobody has in their hands?...trust me, if any of these things were out in the wild, we would know...and after all the slim leakage...I'm sure people are working over time to keep these off the streets u til release day

For 1080p games? No, there won't likely be a difference. But if games come with a PS4 Pro mode that outputs at 4K (either native or checkerboard) you should be able to see a noticeable increase in clarity.

COMPLETELY depends on the developer...if the devs are not going to spend the resources on 4k, they will look better in 1080p...

Venom Fox

Banned
Either you can afford it or you can't afford it. Why do you need your wife to tell you which it is?

Utterly baffling.
You aren't married are you? When couples split things like bills, expenses, savings etc you have to discuss things before buying. It's actually pretty simple really.

onQ123

Remember...the Pro is marginally bigger than the OG PS4...but significantly more powerful...

That being said, how would anyone report on something that nobody has in their hands?...trust me, if any of these things were out in the wild, we would know...and after all the slim leakage...I'm sure people are working over time to keep these off the streets u til release day

Going by the move from 28nm to 16nm vs the doubling of the GPU CU & small upclock on some of the parts I'm not really sure why the PS4 Pro is so big.

Look how small the PS4 slim motherboard is to the Xbox One S & going by the specs that we know of PS4 Pro should be using most of the same stuff that's in the slim besides having 2X the CUs & some other changes to the GPU & higher clocks which would make them use bigger power supply & bigger cooling solution,

I don't think it will be louder than OG PS4

rOhNpXr.png

Lady Gaia

When we first started getting leaked specs the back-of-envelope estimates I tried regarding PS4 Pro power consumption suggested that it might be slightly more than the launch PS4. Efficiencies gained by the move to a 16nm process are largely erased by the bump in clock speeds, and doubling the number of GPU compute units will naturally increase draw.

This corresponds with the revealed power supply measurements and the need to move to a power cord that is mandated for higher current devices. So it's a question of what kind of cooling solution Sony went with, and what impact the increased enclosure size on their ability to move heat effectively.

Personally, I'm going to expect noise levels comparable to the launch PS4. Hopefully there isn't as much unit-to-unit variability this time around. Anyone looking for the coolest, quietest system possible should probably opt for the PS4 slim instead ... but I'd be perfectly happy to be surprised here.

timewyrm

This is going to sound like another dumb question by me, but will the Pro upscale bluray films any better than a 4K tv ? I know it's not a uhd player.

onQ123

This is going to sound like another dumb question by me, but will the Pro upscale bluray films any better than a 4K tv ? I know it's not a uhd player.

It's probably just words but they call it "high-quality upscaling"

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/09/08/ps4-pro-the-ultimate-faq/

4K Entertainment

Q: Does PS4 Pro support Ultra 4K Blu-ray Discs?

No, PS4 Pro’s internal Blu-ray drive does not support the new Ultra 4K Blu-ray Disc format. It supports the same Blu-ray Disc specs as the standard PS4. The Blu-ray Disc Player application, however, will support high-quality upscaling of DVD and Blu-ray Disc content.

AmyS

As an alternative to Netflix 4K on PS4 Pro, what is the quality of the Ultra HD Blu-ray playback on Xbox One S ?

onQ123

I don't think you'll see more memory or gpu time allotted to themes since everything has to work universally, BUT...

Since all our themes are entirely realtime and don't use canned / compressed 'video', they should benefit from tiled rendering. So they should remain sharp in 4K (we've been experimenting with that already) and should look especially nice on, say, a 4K set

Did you just let slip that PS4 Pro GPU has tile based rendering?

Top Bottom