• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Bend working on a PS4 game?

dr_rus

I hope it's some new IP. Uncharted should stay at ND. Vita is fine as it is. I actually hope that they'll port Golden Abyss to PS4 at some point.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Taking over the Uncharted franchise...?
My guess.

I hope it's some new IP. Uncharted should stay at ND..
Why when they could work on something new. They themselves probably want to work on something new.

are you guys serious with this uncharted should go to Sony bend? golden abyss was terrible. that was the worst uncharted game I've ever played.
I agree it was the worst UC game, but it was the first game being developed for a new console for an IP that wasn't theirs. ND didn't exactly have it nailed down with UC1 back in the PS3's first year, the screen tearing for one was awful.

dr_rus

Why when they could work on something new. They themselves probably want to work on something new.
Because they have two teams and can work on something new anyway. Also because Uncharted will run out of steam very fast if it won't be ND who's going to make them. No reason to ruin the best IP of PS3.

Because that's what you think they want to do, not necessarily what they actually think.

Amy Hennig has entertained that she may be up to doing a 4th one, though it's obviously not a confirmation by any means.

http://gamerant.com/uncharted-3-interview-amy-hennig-tao-113329/

The quote in question...

AH: I’m not sure if we are doing a 4th one; there are lots of decisions to be made there. But what’s nice is that it’s the kind of genre that is meant to be serialized. You can start a new story with the same character. I think I would want to continue exploring facets of Drake that we haven’t seen; how you do that is putting people in his world that inspire or provoke different aspects of his character that we haven’t seen yet. One of the reasons that people are fans is that there is a sort of genuine interest or affection in these fictional characters, and that feels like an incredible responsibility. I can’t make some cavalier decision about what happens next.

Globox_82

Banned
Interesting that no one hinted at this.

although verendus said that sony was working on action stealth game so this might be it

RaikuHebi

Banned
Because they have two teams and can work on something new anyway. Also because Uncharted will run out of steam very fast if it won't be ND who's going to make them. No reason to ruin the best IP of PS3.

Because that's what you think they want to do, not necessarily what they actually think.

Amy Hennig has entertained that she may be up to doing a 4th one, though it's obviously not a confirmation by any means.

http://gamerant.com/uncharted-3-interview-amy-hennig-tao-113329/

The quote in question...
Don't get me wrong, I'd rather they do it. But if they follow their previous trends then they won't. Also what if we give Bend a chance and they do something good? Then we'll be able to get Uncharted 4 plus 1-2 new IPs from ND.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather they do it. But if they follow their previous trends then they won't. Also what if we give Bend a chance and they do something good? Then we'll be able to get Uncharted 4 plus 1-2 new IPs from ND.

Why not let Bend develop a new IP instead of Naughty Dogs ?!

Sure Naughty Dogs are super creative and I want more new IPs from them, but at the same time I don't want Sony Bend to be in the shadow of someone else, especially when they have the chance to make a grand appearance after a long time off from the main console.

Globox_82

Banned
Why not let Bend develop a new IP instead of Naughty Dogs ?!

Sure Naughty Dogs are super creative and I want more new IPs from them, but at the same time I don't want Sony Bend to be in the shadow of someone else, especially when they have the chance to make a grand appearance after a long time off from the main console.

Maybe because Bend will never get the same resources for a new IP that ND would get?
If they got Uncharted instead, then sony would be forced to pour money into it. I doubt they want tu ruin Uncharted IP.

Exciting news! Bend working on an action adventure for PS4 is exactly what I was hoping to hear.

Seems like Sony are making quite a few games of that genre going forward - Uncharted fever! I'm hoping this is a new IP, like RAD with The Order.

Maybe because Bend will never get the same resources for a new IP that ND would get?
If they got Uncharted instead, then sony would be forced to pour money into it. I doubt they want tu ruin Uncharted IP.

That's true enough I think, but what about RAD ?!, They are making their own new IP right now -which is looking amazing-.

Also why not give Bend a chance, at least with their old franchise Syphon Filter, if it proves successful then they'd be able to grow and make a new IP of their own later.
((granted this isn't the best case scenario cause Syphon Filter is a stealth game and those are not as big as action games)), It is better than they making a sequel to Uncharted and it being not as good as Naughty Dogs UC, Bend would suffer greatly from such a thing.

Looks like from their history they are all about Syphon Filter and Uncharted on the Vita. So that would be the easiest guess.

Or they are like Ready At Dawn and are working on a new IP altogether. We'll see, but man .. a return of Syphon Filter could be amazing.

Globox_82

Banned
That's true enough I think, but what about RAD ?!, They are making their own new IP right now -which is looking amazing-.

Also why not give Bend a chance, at least with their old franchise Syphon Filter, if it proves successful then they'd be able to grow and make a new IP of their own later.
((granted this isn't the best case scenario cause Syphon Filter is a stealth game and those are not as big as action games)), It is better than they making a sequel to Uncharted and it being not as good as Naughty Dogs UC, Bend would suffer greatly from such a thing.

Well I remember in one of the pdcast beyond episodes when Yosp was guest, he really was exciting about Bend. He was talking to Colin and he said something like "Bend? They are really good" and you could tell he had that yosp grin.

Who knows. The difference with RAD is, RAD is having SSM helping them. ND doesn't work like that. Yes Amy was helping with GA, but when it comes to tech, I don't remember it ever being mention....that ND was co developing. Plus RAD is now 90+ people, while Bend is still 45-50. Too little for such a big project.
But who knows in the end. Maybe ND now has a smaller team helping Bend until they grow, who knows. It's for PS4 and that's what is exciting to me. Don't care about Vita.
But if there was Vita phone
(here comes the hate)
I would be there day one.

Sony Bend should be working on Uncharted Vita, Naughty Dog should be doing some sort of TLoU follow-up (same world or whatever) and a new IP.

Uncharted Golden Abyss was Bend's weakest game.

I thought Syphon Filter Dark Mirror and Logan's Shadow were much much better. Those two easily are superior to Uncharted 1 & 3.

GA probably sucked cause it was a launch title

Gadirok

Uncharted 4 or Resistance 4 or anything thats an TPS on the PS4, please do it BEND. You don't disappoint.

Uncharted Golden Abyss was Bend's weakest game.

I thought Syphon Filter Dark Mirror and Logan's Shadow were much much better. Those two easily are superior to Uncharted 1 & 3.

GA probably sucked cause it was a launch title

That and it was built as a glorified tech demo for the Vita to show off its strength. Golden Abyss proved its purpose well, made use of all of the hardware knick knacks that the Vita featured, and still managed a respectable Uncharted entry.

Elios83

i hope no one is working on uncharted 4

let it die

Nope, Uncharted will be mindblowing on PS4 :p
It's a series with a huge potential because they can always find great stories to tell and new amazing settings, they're not bound to the same universe and characters so they can always surprise gamers.
The same can't be said for The Last of Us for example.
With Uncharted they just need to update the formula with a less linear design with more exploration paths and puzzles.

Btw Sony Bend is talented, I wouldn't mind them doing Uncharted 4 if that means that Naughty Dog can create an amazing new IP.

i hope no one is working on uncharted 4

let it die

Nope. I think ND should kill off Uncharted in one way and one way only... at the end of the next game, Nathan does something to unleash the cordyceps from The Last of Us. Then we have a linking of the two universes, and we could get a TLOU with Nathan! YAY!

Resistance 4.
I'd love Resistance 4, but Bend ?!, what about Syphon Filter :( ?!

Well I remember in one of the pdcast beyond episodes when Yosp was guest, he really was exciting about Bend. He was talking to Colin and he said something like "Bend? They are really good" and you could tell he had that yosp grin.
yeah I recall that, well as long as they are working on something, I'll wait and see.

Who knows. The difference with RAD is, RAD is having SSM helping them. ND doesn't work like that. Yes Amy was helping with GA, but when it comes to tech, I don't remember it ever being mention....that ND was co developing. Plus RAD is now 90+ people, while Bend is still 45-50. Too little for such a big project.
But who knows in the end. Maybe ND now has a smaller team helping Bend until they grow, who knows. It's for PS4 and that's what is exciting to me. Don't care about Vita.
But if there was Vita phone
(here comes the hate)
I would be there day one.
That could be a problem indeed, IMO They don't have to rush the product, they should take their time, or wait till SSM can help them with whatever they need, but anyway as you said I am pretty excited it is a PS4 game, as long as it isn't another shooter.

sublimit

Banned
This is a franchise that outside of two late era PS2 ports has been gone from console gaming for over 10 years.

There's quite a trend for reboots lately though and regardless of their quality they seem to be selling quite well if enough marketing is put behind them.

Empty

i hope it's a mid-budget downloadable syphon filter for ps4/vita. maybe kinda functioning like wipeout hd for ps3, except with original content.

Bend made Resistance: Retribution.

I'm surprised that nobody else guessed Resistance.

seems a bit unlikely after burning skies and resistance 3 sales. syphon filter is dead too but absence makes heart grow fonder and it would at least get some people excited.

Duxxy3

i hope it's a mid-budget downloadable syphon filter for ps4/vita. maybe kinda functioning like wipeout hd for ps3, except with original content.

seems a bit unlikely after burning skies and resistance 3 sales. syphon filter is dead too but absence makes heart grow fonder and it would at least get some people excited.

I think there is a larger audience for a resistance game than there is a for a long dormant franchise.

Bend made Resistance: Retribution.

I'm surprised that nobody else guessed Resistance.
Maybe cause Retribution was a TPS rather than a FPS, and if I am not wrong, Bend doesn't have experience with FPSs.

I want a normal budget Syphon Filter, I want it to be really good and not be hindered by lack of budget.

Edit: wouldn't making Syphon Filter be more of a stealth game then action one a good strategy?

Also which would you guys prefer at SF reboot or continuation

to people who say that it can't be a big AAA title

Ready at Dawn would like a word with you.... and I believe Bends been hiring for awhile
I could be wrong

Top Bottom