• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Bend working on a PS4 game?

You know what would be pretty awesome - Syphon Filter being rebooted as a proper stealth game. Particularly since the genre's becoming more and more endangered these days, as most 'stealth' games are actually action games with linear stealth sections, or aren't proper stealth unless you jack the difficulty right up. I think the time is perfect for a proper, punishing, tough stealth game.

That being said, I'd also be quite happy if they inherited the Uncharted series, so Naughty Dog are freed up to make Savage Starlight :)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't think Sony is going to hand off uncharted to bend just yet (or to bend at all). And I don't think Amy Hennig is done yet.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I don't think Sony is going to hand off uncharted to bend just yet (or to bend at all). And I don't think Amy Hennig is done yet.

This is how I feel too. I think ND has at least one more Uncharted in them and I want them to do the next PS4 entry to that can define how the series will grow from that point on. A different team may take over eventually but Uncharted is too big of an IP to pass off for a the first next gen numbered entry.

You know what would be pretty awesome - Syphon Filter being rebooted as a proper stealth game. Particularly since the genre's becoming more and more endangered these days, as most 'stealth' games are actually action games with linear stealth sections, or aren't proper stealth unless you jack the difficulty right up. I think the time is perfect for a proper, punishing, tough stealth game.

That being said, I'd also be quite happy if they inherited the Uncharted series, so Naughty Dog are freed up to make Savage Starlight :)

Man, the stealth missions from the PS1 games were pretty unforgiving, zero margin for error. I don't know if that would fly anymore. But I would want to be fed that stuff intravenously.

I don't think Syphon Filter has much commercial potential, so I'm keeping my expectations in check, but I would do anything to make this happen. As janky as the PS1 games were, even back then, the mission design was so great. Almost every one of them had a unique hook. There hasn't been any action game with a such a memorable collection of missions since the original Splinter Cell trilogy.

Syphon Filter returning would be great, but I don't think we'd get the stealh game we are asking for. That said, The Last of Us proved that combing stealth and action and making both playstyles possible could work. I think a hybrid is the most likely scenario.

Strike

This is how I feel too. I think ND has at least one more Uncharted in them and I want them to do the next PS4 entry to that can define how the series will grow from that point on. A different team may take over eventually but Uncharted is too big of an IP to pass off for a the first next gen numbered entry.
That's exactly how I feel. I wouldn't be surprised at all if UC4 gets announced sometime between the VGAs and E3 2014. ND has multiple studios and the team that worked on UC3 has had about 2 years to work on something so far. ND has already said that they would keep making UC games as long as people wanted them and they haven't expressed any desire to stop making them.

Bundy

Banned
As much as I hate it: Syphon Filter is dead.
Even SONY Bend said it. Get over it, folks.
I guess: New IP or a Uncharted sequel!

Edit: wouldn't making Syphon Filter be more of a stealth game then action one a good strategy?
Truth be told, I'd love it to be a stealth game, but then again it should also support action, the series always did.

Also which would you guys prefer at SF reboot or continuation
hmmmm, let's see, I didn't play the 2 PSP games, so there it is a bit troublesome to have a sequel, unless Sony releases a HD Collection of the 2 PSP games, then I'd be good to go, but at the same time I wouldn't mind a reboot, I can't remember Syphone filter 1,2, & 3 stories, I was a kid back then.

Syphon Filter, new IP or rebooting Resistance as a 3rd person shooter.
I am not so sure about this one, and this is coming from someone who isn't that much into FPS.

Syphon Filter and Resistance are dead ips.

Time to get real...

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO.

As much as I hate it: Syphon Filter is dead.
Even SONY Bend said it. Get over it, folks.
I guess: New IP or a Uncharted sequel!
you don't remember the rumors ?!, there were true -to a degree- regarding God of War, so I have a feeling they are also true about Syphon Filter, though it will probably be totally different now.

Seems like the whole "every sony studio is making a ps4 game" thing was true after all.
Sony's strength is in the home console space, keep it that way.

B.O.O.M

Treat vita like a second class citizen and get the sales to reflect it. This is the kind of bullshit that makes me sick of Sony. So not a single exclusive from a western Sony studio next year and beyond for the vita (outside of that eyepets game which I think is first party :S)....

StuBurns

Banned
Treat vita like a second class citizen and get the sales to reflect it. This is the kind of bullshit that makes me sick of Sony. So not a single exclusive from a western Sony studio next year and beyond for the vita (outside of that eyepets game which I think is first party :S)....
Throwing good money after bad is pointless. Vita failed, there will never be a third handheld PlayStation, and Sony are perfectly positioned to reclaim a market that actually matters.

None of Sony studios should be wasting time on Vita.

B.O.O.M

Throwing bad money after good is pointless. Vita failed, there will never be a third handheld PlayStation, and Sony are perfectly positioned to reclaim a market that actually matters.

None of Sony studios should be wasting time on Vita.

If you can't support a system then you shouldn't release it. PS3 lost more money for the playstation division as well as sony as a whole than vita will ever come even close to. (iirc it lost more money than all the money they earned with the PS1 and 2) Sony should have stopped developing for the ps3 too then? That's just a stupid line of thinking.

Vita failed because sony was utterly dumb at the design stage as well as the software support stage of the system. They are doing a way worse job at it than compared to the Nintendo and their handling of the wiiu even.

Sony is basically saying F U to the people who invested in the system. I'm not gonna stand as say yeah that's good sony, good work. The system can still be a profitable venture for them. They just don't seem to have the drive to make it so

StuBurns

Banned
If you can't support a system then you shouldn't release it.
What are you asking for exactly? For Sony management to go back in time, and not make the mistake of launching the Vita? Should Nintendo have been forced to support VirtualBoy for years after the market made it clear it was an unwanted product?

You don't live with your mistakes, you move on. Every three million dollar first party Vita game is a PS4 PSN title that isn't in production, and that's just endangering a platform that can actually be a serious revenue stream.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I'd prefer the unproven studio gets Uncharted 4 and the thoroughly proven studio makes a new IP.

Well to be honest that unproven studio's last Uncharted game was a better game than the thoroughly proven studio's last Uncharted game imo...

But I do agree sort of. If Uncharted 4 just has to be made then I'd prefer it be Bend and have ND make a new IP.

Well to be honest that unproven studio's last Uncharted game was a better game than the thoroughly proven studio's last Uncharted game imo...

But I do agree sort of. If Uncharted 4 just has to be made then I'd prefer it be Bend and have ND make a new IP.

Yeah that's all I was saying.

I know Uncharted 3 wasn't their finest moment. I just don't think it came together in the way Uncharted 2 did, but it wasn't a poor game - and I'd argue that Golden Abyss felt similarly disjointed at times.

B.O.O.M

What are you asking for exactly? For Sony management to go back in time, and not make the mistake of launching the Vita? Should Nintendo have been forced to support VirtualBoy for years after the market made it clear it was an unwanted product?

You don't live with your mistakes, you move on. Every three million dollar first party Vita game is a PS4 PSN title that isn't in production, and that's just endangering a platform that can actually be a serious revenue stream.

No,,if you actually read what I type you wouldn't have trouble understanding what I'm saying. IF you just move on from one investment/project to the next the moment it struggled then sony would have/should left the PS3 within the first year. Did they have to travel back in time to make that mess turn around?

The biggest issue with the virtualboy was the hardware..no amount of good software was gonna fix that. Like with the ps3 however the vita hardware is solid. What it needs is a good and smart software strategy.

And not sure where you pulled that three million dollar game number from. If you are honestly naive enough to think lack of a few games that could be on the vita will 'endanger' PS4 ..then I'm wasting my time with you. The PS4 has more than enough support from first party as well as third party publishers and devs. There is no danger there whatsoever. It's not going to 'endanger' the revenue stream or the future of ps4 if sony has around 3-4 smaller teams of their large ww studio line up work on vita exclusive games.

Sony lived with their mistakes with the ps3 and it worked best for them in the long run. Like I said, if you are not committed, don't release hardware at all. Same goes for Nintendo and wiiu..and I don't see them running away from that one either, because they are not as incompetent.

Sotha_Sil

I know it probably isn't possible, but it would be interesting if Sony handed one of Liverpool's abandoned projects (rumored to be Wipeout and a stealth game) to Bend.

StuBurns

Banned
No,,if you actually read what I type you wouldn't have trouble understanding what I'm saying. IF you just move on from one investment/project to the next the moment it struggled then sony would have/should left the PS3 within the first year. Did they have to travel back in time to make that mess turn around?
I understood what you said, I thought it was ridiculous, so I asked a question that would force you to give an answer to prove you don't think Sony should stand by a platform that is a complete failure.
The biggest issue with the virtualboy was the hardware..no amount of good software was gonna fix that. Like with the ps3 however the vita hardware is solid. What it needs is a good and smart software strategy.
No, what it needs is to be mothballed. All Sony ever had with the original was Japan because of Monster Hunter, that's it, and it's gone. They have never shown the intent to support their handheld to anything like a respectable amount. The PSP stumbled onto success. The Vita might too, but just like PSP, it won't be from Sony software, and they know that.
And not sure where you pulled that three million dollar game number from. If you are honestly naive enough to think lack of a few games that could be on the vita will 'endanger' PS4 ..then I'm wasting my time with you.
If you don't think a few exclusives doesn't help to solidify PS4's positioning, it's you that is naive. Everything helps. Every game matters.
The PS4 has more than enough support from first party as well as third party publishers and devs. There is no danger there whatsoever. It's not going to 'endanger' the revenue stream or the future of ps4 if sony has around 3-4 smaller teams of their large ww studio line up work on vita exclusive games.
I disagree. I do think Sony almost have it in the bag, but every exclusive is closer to cementing that, and every team on Vita is a step further from cementing it.
Sony lived with their mistakes with the ps3 and it worked best for them in the long run. Like I said, if you are not committed, don't release hardware at all. Same goes for Nintendo and wiiu..and I don't see them running away from that one either, because they are not as incompetent.
They had no choice, because the home console market is their bread and butter, and they had to be relevant for PS4, and for future thin-client plans.

B.O.O.M

I understood what you said, I thought it was ridiculous, so I asked a question that would force you to give an answer to prove you don't think Sony should stand by a platform that is a complete failure.

No, what it needs is to be mothballed. All Sony ever had with the original was Japan because of Monster Hunter, that's it, and it's gone. They have never shown the intent to support their handheld to anything like a respectable amount. The PSP stumbled onto success. The Vita might too, but just like PSP, it won't be from Sony software, and they know that.

If you don't think a few exclusives doesn't help to solidify PS4's positioning, it's you that is naive. Everything helps. Every game matters.

I disagree. I do think Sony almost have it in the bag, but every exclusive is closer to cementing that, and every team on Vita is a step further from cementing it.

They had no choice, because the home console market is their bread and butter, and they had to be relevant for PS4, and for future thin-client plans.

1. Not sure what's so ridiculous about it at all..but w/e. What makes it a failure? Because PS3 was a failure too. You are running around this point. PS3 made so much losses for them that it basically wiped out their PS1 and 2 gains in comparison. Vita still can be an overall profitable venture for them (actually..are they losing money on it even now? I am not sure). They definitely could have stopped production, stopped bleeding money which harmed the company so much and tried again later on. They had the choice...they just weren't dumb enough to make the wrong one.

2. No the psp actually got the first real kick thanks to western games like GTA etc. MH popularity kicked in way later on it's life. It didn't stumble onto success...Sony was smart enough back then to secure the titles needed for it to be a success. This is not some app a grad student made that blew up on the internet. It didn't stumble on to anything. And yes, western exclusives doesn't have to come from first parties IF sony has secured some big ones from third parties in the west...doesn't look like it

3. Don't move goal posts. You said it might 'endanger' and yes that's being naive. Sony BEND won't matter much for the PS4 (unless it turns out to be one of a kind success or something) considering the complete picture. PS4 is not in a dangerous situation of lacking software support, it never will be either.

4. Most of Tearaway is made by around 11 members of Media Molecule iirc. That kind of small team won't mean jack. Sony BEND, GG Cambridge etc will not matter in deciding if sony cements their success with the PS4 or not. They have 2-3 teams at SSM, 2 teams at ND, MM, GG, Sucker Punch etc etc etc. They also have and will continue to have great support from third parties.

I'm not saying they need to do much. Have around 2 exclusives from the west and 2 from Japan every year from the first party studios. That really isn't a lot of resources at all. Especially when the teams are so small, vita's ease of development and also the fact that making games for handhelds in Japan is being a no brainer.

So what you guys are saying is the sooner that PS4/Vita bundle comes the better. Then we won't have to argue!

In all seriousness though, I kind of have to agree with BOOM. It's a fine piece of hardware that hasn't even hit the 2 year mark. If you take the narrative of the PS3's first 2 years, you'd also say it was fucked.

As much as I don't like them wasting money on it (especially when shit like Tearaway could be on PS4 instead) I also think it's silly to cut their loses this early on. Just as it's starting to hit some sort of stride in enthusiast perception.

And as you say Stuburns, the development investment is a hell of lot less intimidating, as are the headcounts required to develop for it.

Although I am loving the indie angle, and maybe the third party initiative might bring something to the console not from first party!

Takao

Banned

Well, for starters they could stop giving people the impression they're actively supporting the platform by releasing revisions, and other Vita models.

Syphon Filter could still be in the cards. Characters as great as Logan never die. John Garvin was the console originator of dat secret spy shit. Kojima is ok too,

Tagg9

As I mentioned in the other thread, I don't expect Bend's game to release until late 2015. They're a small team, and moving to PS4 after working on portable games is a huge step.

they've survived the restructure without any layoffs too

Edit: The newest Unreal engine is more colourful then its predecessor but this just gives me a feeling that the game isn't the newest Jak anymore

Dreams die

:(

KAL2006

Banned
http://jobs.gamasutra.com/job/senior-ai-programmer-bend-oregon-26442

New job posting lists the platforms as PS4 and Vita, so maybe some cross-play deal? Also mentions the Unreal Engine, so I guess that's the tech base for their new project.

Interesting, this makes me thing its not a big game like what RaD are doing with The Order. But something more along the lines with a PSN game, if its a retail game then something a long the lines with Sly Thieves in Time. Basically what I am saying is don't get your hopes up and expect a big AAA Syphon Filter and etc. Bend are a small team after all, the only reason RaD managed to make The Order as big was because they have help from Santa Monica, but even then that game doesn't have a multiplayer mode.

Interesting, this makes me thing its not a big game like what RaD are doing with The Order. But something more along the lines with a PSN game, if its a retail game then something a long the lines with Sly Thieves in Time. Basically what I am saying is don't get your hopes up and expect a big AAA Syphon Filter and etc. Bend are a small team after all, the only reason RaD managed to make The Order as big was because they have help from Santa Monica, but even then that game doesn't have a multiplayer mode.

Remedy is a small team and they are doing quantum break.

KAL2006

Banned
MLB the show disagrees.

That's a sports game, MLB releases on PSP and Vita consistently. We haven't got The Last of Us on Vita and PS3. We are not getting The Order on Vita and PS4. Its mainly PSN games that are on both platforms or HD ports or smaller budget games like Ratchet and Clank into the Nexus and Sly Thieves in Time. Just don't get your hopes up, I'll let you dream, but I'll keep my expectations realistic, if I'm wrong then I'm in for a pleasant surprise.

Top Bottom