• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Black Friday sales breakdown

Vita sales aren that bad.

No, they are bad. They had massive deals everywhere, and this is the month where there two biggest games for like the next year (CoD and AC) both launched. The 3DS number was shit, but just because Vita was selling much worse and did this does not make it not terrible. PS3 numbers are great for what its worth.

Good numbers. Now please make some true AAA games for the Vita.

Lack of compelling third party software is Vita's issue, the actual quality of the games is pretty great, I'd say stuff like Uncharted GA/ Gravity Rush/ Persona 4 G is as AAA as you can get on any handheld, it just looks as though third parties don't have much investment in it going forward.

No, they are bad. They had massive deals everywhere, and this is the month where there two biggest games for like the next year (CoD and AC) both launched. The 3DS number was shit, but just because Vita was selling much worse and did this does not make it not terrible.

... confirmed.

Decent Vita numbers. I hope it picks up steam because the hardware deserves it.

I'm also surprised at how well PS+ is doing and that customer satisfaction rate. I thought it would be a rip-off when it was announced, like Sony's Live Gold but crappy, but it's turning out to be well worth the value. I'm subbing if it's on PS4.

Relatively speaking, the Vita had a better Black Friday than the 3DS did.

Yep. 3DS should have had better bundles.
Japan is to blame for the lack of software in some ways; but NoA failed with deals/bundles.

NoE has a XL deal I've no doubt that will have leaflets beside XL models in shops describing this Christmas. NoA either can't focus on two products or aren't paying attention to the 3DS.

Needs to be fixed.

I'm also surprised at how well PS+ is doing and that customer satisfaction rate. I thought it would be a rip-off when it was announced, like Sony's Live Gold but crappy, but it's turning out to be well worth the value. I'm subbing if it's on PS4.

How much does it cost again?
Not sure if I would sub but theres more chance of me getting a PS3 and chosing PS+ than getting a 720 and having to pay Live.

Live just doesn't work for owning multiple systems imo. Either I only play 360 and Live is a great deal or I only play now and then and the whole idea behind Live falls apart a bit.

Hope MS go the Sony route and strengthen Gold whilst improving Silver membership.

Speaking of which now that we've had this could someone compare the overall total of handhelds sold with previous years? This is probably the lowest one in a long time.

Toki767

Speaking of which now that we've had this could someone compare the overall total of handhelds sold with previous years? This is probably the lowest one in a long time.

Or the highest once you count iPod Touch/iPad mini/iPad.

I'm definitely curious how many of those 160k Vitas came from Amazon.

seven and eight year old platforms leading the charge.

360 came out in 2004, and the PS3 in 2005?

In an alternate universe folks, this thing reigns supreme:

ps3boomerang.jpg

jcm

I'm shocked they actually released numbers. I would have lost that bet. Pretty good numbers, so I guess that's why.

Wow, I was all but certain that they wouldn't release numbers.

Vita numbers are fantastic relative to the last few months, and not nearly as bad as they could have been (I expected about 150-175K for the entire month, so there's my crow), but still terrible for Black Friday.

I guess the consolation for fans of the system is that 3DS only did 90K better, but that doesn't change the reality that there are no announced Vita games with a better shot at driving hardware sales in NA than CoD/AC, and that Vita needed to do a lot better than this to convince retailers and third parties that it's still viable.

B.O.O.M

I'm shocked they actually released numbers. I would have lost that bet. Pretty good numbers, so I guess that's why.

As someone mentioned earlier..there was a poster who said he will eat his hat if they do so (think he was referring to vita numbers)

Of course Sony gives us NA numbers instead of just US.

NA sales are almost completely dominated by the US and especially so during black friday which I'm not sure even exists in Canada or is even a big deal there if it does. Mexico I'm pretty sure doesn't "celebrate" it either.

Petrae

A bit surprised by the PS3 showing, but that's good for Sony. The Vita number probably means >200K for November, which is a positive. Not a trend yet, but any good news is still good news.

marrec

Banned
Wow, I was all but certain that they wouldn't release numbers.

Vita numbers are fantastic relative to the last few months, and not nearly as bad as they could have been (I expected about 150-175K for the entire month, so there's my crow), but still terrible for Black Friday.

I guess the consolation for fans of the system is that 3DS only did 90K better, but that doesn't change the reality that there are no announced Vita games with a better shot at driving hardware sales in NA than CoD/AC, and that Vita needed to do a lot better than this to convince retailers and third parties that it's still viable.

What are the Vita numbers for the last few months in America?

Akkad

Banned
No, they are bad. They had massive deals everywhere, and this is the month where there two biggest games for like the next year (CoD and AC) both launched. The 3DS number was shit, but just because Vita was selling much worse and did this does not make it not terrible. PS3 numbers are great for what its worth.

Massive deals? Other than the Amazon one the rest were $50 off bundles.

PS3 # does not surprise me, but the Vita # does....I am surprised it sold over 100k to be honest......people must of fell for the Block Ops for Vita "being like the console experience"....sucks for them.

I got my Vita for $180 with two games, memory card, and 3 months of PS+. This is the price and bundle that will move systems. Current price is no good.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Nice for PS3.

Terrible but expected for Vita.

It sold only 90k less than the 3DS I think that is very unexpected. I think it shows there is some demand for the Vita it is just priced to high. Time to drop that bundle to 199.99 for the rest of the holiday season.

Massive deals? Other than the Amazon one the rest were $50 off bundles.

50 dollars off with a memory card and a game. Compared to 250 with no memory that is a massive deal.

I guess Sony can take some solace in the fact that if they drop the price signficantly and throw in games they might be able to sell over a 100k a month after christmas. I'm not sure why people think 3rd parties are going to think selling 160k during black friday is enough to change their plans and put resources towards it though.

Toki767

It's more difficult to believe that Sony releases the Vita numbers a day after offering a $300 bundle when most if not all of those 160k Vita sales probably came from people buying a $200 or less bundle.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
bit more:

Well that's because:

1) they didn't drop the price of HSG Portable, Gravity Rush, Wipeout HD Portable, Uncharted until PSRS launched so most people that were waiting for price-drops that happened at retail in August (AKA: me) got tired of waiting and just wanted to play the games and:

2) A pretty dearth of games at the moment to where a bundle of AC3:Liberation and 3 other titles was a pretty good value for a 3 month sub to try those three included games and then AC3:Lib after your sub to the rental service expires.

Top Bottom