• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Black Friday sales breakdown

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
It's more difficult to believe that Sony releases the Vita numbers a day after offering a $300 bundle when most if not all of those 160k Vita sales probably came from people buying a $200 or less bundle.

All 360, Vita and PS3 sales were boosted by sales, i.e. lower prices. Do you expect a price drop on the 360 now they have announced BF sales numbers?

Vita did "alright" and it shows that it would be nice if they dropped the price to the black friday price for the bundles but they are still not given that 300 bundle they just announced (drop that shit to 250 if need be ffs).

ohlawd

Good shit Sony. Nice to see those un-lumped numbers. I wonder why they bother lumping numbers when the phrase "if you lump those numbers, we know you didn't sell too much shit" exists.

allan-bh

It sold only 90k less than the 3DS I think that is very unexpected. I think it shows there is some demand for the Vita it is just priced to high.

This just shows how weak were sales of the 3DS in black friday.

Of course Vita will do better with lower price, but 160k in black friday week is very weak.

Biggzy

Goes to show you just how bad the Vita is doing when people think selling 160,000 PS Vitas during Black Friday and with the release of COD and AC is doing well. For the record I think it's a step in the right direction, but there is still a long way to go.

Toki767

All PS3, Vita and PS3 sales were boosted by sales, i.e. lower prices. Do you expect a price drop on the 360 now they have announced BF sales numbers?

I expect Sony to realize that their current pricing isn't what's attracting buyers. I don't know why that would be hard to believe.

I guess Sony can take some solace in the fact that if they drop the price signficantly and throw in games they might be able to sell over a 100k a month after christmas.

I very much doubt that, but if Sony couldn't afford to cut the price before the holidays this year, the question is probably academic anyway.

This just shows how weak were sales of the 3DS in black friday.

Of course Vita will do better with lower price, but 160k in black friday weak is very weak.

When was the first time the PSP sold 160k BF week?

Sony did the $199 price point, but that was a $50 price drop of existing bundles. Only Amazon got the Black Friday special super bundle.

I know, that's why I said they existed. It was a BF deal during BF week.

Cornbread78

Great numbers over all, but I bet if Wal-Mart had gotten on board with a VITA bundle, the numbers sould have been much much better. Most Wal-Marts carry almost no VITA games right now, at least around here...

KalBalboa

Banned
PS3 # does not surprise me, but the Vita # does....I am surprised it sold over 100k to be honest......people must of fell for the Block Ops for Vita "being like the console experience"....sucks for them.

Or they bought one of the many other bundles. The Vita has a lot to offer and is a sexy piece of hardware, even if CoD is junk on it.

Lots of people probably thought the $199 Assasin's Creed bundle was where they'd bite.

Wow, I was all but certain that they wouldn't release numbers.

Vita numbers are fantastic relative to the last few months, and not nearly as bad as they could have been (I expected about 150-175K for the entire month, so there's my crow), but still terrible for Black Friday.

I guess the consolation for fans of the system is that 3DS only did 90K better, but that doesn't change the reality that there are no announced Vita games with a better shot at driving hardware sales in NA than CoD/AC, and that Vita needed to do a lot better than this to convince retailers and third parties that it's still viable.

It's been a LONG time since a biggish non-sports, non-annualized vita games were announced, especially for the western market. Actually I think AC3:L and Tearway were announced around Gamescom time IIRC and everything else (COD, LBP, Uncharted, Bioshock) were announced at E3 or before that. At TGS they announced some ports like GE2 (mainly JP market), but you're right, there's nothing announced that's coming to the west (or JP for that matter) that will drive sales. It's been months since a big game was announced for vita and nothing in the scope of 'DQVIIR for 3DS', I unfortunately don't see that changing anytime soon. I bought the system from the amazon $180 sale knowing full well what I was getting myself into.

So does this, combined with MS sales mean we won't see next gen til 2014?

One can only hope. Major jump before next generation please. Cheapest 360 MSRP is still $199 and cheapest PS3 MSRP is still $249 or $269 FFS.

Plus I have a huge backlog.

All PS3, Vita and PS3 sales were boosted by sales, i.e. lower prices. Do you expect a price drop on the 360 now they have announced BF sales numbers?

MS dropped it by $50 for black friday... Sony's consoles weren't the only ones to get temporary price drops.

Takao

Banned
I know, that's why I said they existed. It was a BF deal during BF week.

Oh, my mistake then. I thought you meant that regular Vita at $250 doesn't include a game or memory card. That was the case at launch, but since the fall they've bundled a 4GB and a game for that price.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
360 came out in 2004, and the PS3 in 2005?

In an alternate universe folks, this thing reigns supreme:

ps3boomerang.jpg

DS in 2004 and 360 in 2005 - DS leading handheld and 360 leading console.

Well, at least they can beg Ubi to release another AC on the system. Along more Uncharted games and GT that has to be released at some point, they may get some sort of momentum going on along a price cut to push for more 3rd party games, since SCE WWS flagship studios don't seem to care too much about handhelds.

gcubed

i was wondering if they were going to break 500k. Good for the PS3, even the vita bundles couldn't move it... poor vita

ffdgh

Goes to show you just how bad the Vita is doing when people think selling 160,000 PS Vitas during Black Friday and with the release of COD and AC is doing well. For the record I think it's a step in the right direction, but there is still a long way to go.

Compared with the 3ds sales, It looks nice.

So I guess by now we can make a thread about how the cheaper systems "won" black Friday.

The cheaper NDS outsold the 3DS and Vita handily. The Xbox 360 outsold all other consoles as well, including the freshly launched Wii U.

Price continues to be a very important barrier in regards to gaming, as they are considered entertainment goods.

Actually that's a good point, I forgot that was an Amazon deal.

EDIT: I see, so I guess they were?

Unless online retailers have been being ignored for years in the BF week data I can't imagine they don't have the number for that.

Compared with the 3ds sales, It looks nice.

I think it's more telling of how shit 3DS hardware numbers were.

KalBalboa

Banned
So I guess by know we can make a thread about how the cheaper systems "won" black Friday.

The cheaper NDS outsold the 3DS and Vita handily. The Xbox 360 out all other consoles as well, including the freshly launched Wii U.

Price continues to be a very important barrier in regards to gaming as they are considered entertainment goods.

Price and back catalog, definitely.

So I guess by know we can make a thread about how the cheaper systems "won" black Friday.

The cheaper NDS outsold the 3DS and Vita handily. The Xbox 360 out all other consoles as well, including the freshly launched Wii U.

Price continues to be a very important barrier in regards to gaming as they are considered entertainment goods.

You would be right if only Wii outsold PS3.

Binabik15

I got my Vita for $180 with two games, memory card, and 3 months of PS+. This is the price and bundle that will move systems. Current price is no good.

Yeah, 150 or a bit more, especially with games and the free PS+ with the tons of games you get from that and have to keep subscribing to keep them should hook a lot of people. Of course, Sony no rike price cuts.

Top Bottom