• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony bro's - are you gonna get the Pro?

Will you answer the call?

• I will answer the call and upgrade to a Pro

Votes: 385 67.9%
  • I will reject the call and stay loyal

Votes: 182 32.1%

• Total voters

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Depends on what it’ll bring to the table. Most games already run in 60 fps. If it’s just 4k and 60 fps it’s not worth the upgrade for me since my TV is not that big.

FUBARx89

It depends on the price and if any trade in deals exist for one like PS4 Pro.

Game (UK) stop doing trade ins didn't they? Can't see us having any deals this time cause of that.

Fredrik

Same here, I can wait.
Yeah and I’m already used to wait by wanting the Sony games on PC. Used to double dip but enough is enough. In some cases it sucks to wait but great games don’t age like milk so once you accept that waiting is the norm it’s alright. Currently waiting on Spider-Man 2 and Final Fantasy XVI, felt some FOMO near the release but not anymore.

CashPrizes

Nah, got a 4090 PC last year, I am good til the PS6.
I never bought a PS4 pro. I thought Horizon Zero Dawn and Last of Us 2 ran just fine on original PS4, and then I was rewarded for waiting because both games ran even better on PS5 with patches.
The PS5pro would have to do crazy things and impress in ways the PS4Pro never did to convince me it is worth buying.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
It makes no sense - ps4 pro had a use: make games look better on 4K screens.

But this thing? Even the ray tracing will be crap (4 times nothing is still nothing).

Capitan Todd

Neo Member
I doubt. So far I'm perfectly happy with my PS5, but knowing myself I might not be able to control myself once it's released.. It also kinda depends if Switch 2 is coming out shortly after, because then I have something else to focus on first.

I'll get one when GTA6 launches, if they're easily available for purchase. I remember the PS5 was sold out for years it seemed, so I wonder how bad the Pro scalping will be

Raven117

Oh, if I can get a good trade in value for my ps5 making the Pro like 200 bucks (like I did for the ps4 pro), sure.

Otherwise, nah.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
As someone who plays exclusively in 60FPS, yes.

I feel that games now are getting very unstable 60FPS modes and let's be honest the ray tracing outside of a handful of games is essentially unusable.

Anything that allows the console to perhaps do both of those things at the same time will get my dollars. I ended up getting Dragons Dogma 2 on my PC, despite it being a single player game I would enjoy with my feet up in my living room. That's because of the 30 FPS issue.

Last edited:
I'm no Sony bro but I do love new hardware so quite possibly as long as its not ridiculously expensive I think £550 UK price would be ok with a disk drive.
I still think its not actually going to come out though.

Lunarorbit

No way. There's absolutely no need to buy a pro. At the beginning of the year I was hyped to buy a psvr2 but we all saw where that went.

This gen barely started last year. Why would I reward Sony when they aren't releasing anything?

Fredrik

Hell yes! I have a 4080 gaming PC but I'd love a higher end console for my living room primed for GTA6.
I built a PC for the living room, 4080 Super + 7800X3D. Had it for like a week, trying to understand how to use it without a keyboard, I boot it in Big Picture mode. The whole plan from the start has been to use it like a Pro ”console”. love it tbh! It runs everything I’ve tried so far at 4K and smooth 60fps. It’s been a serious boost for my gaming interest, couch gaming, smooth framerates, nice visuals, plus mods is awesome!👌
Got Atmos surround working last night, and mapped F12 to the Series controller share button to take screenshots without keyboard.

iorek21

Probably not.

This gen still feels so underused with games taking 5+ years to be made that I see no point in getting a Pro.

Where's Bend Studio's game? Where's ND's game? Bluepoint is MIA after Demon's Souls.

Nah, not upgrading to play multiplats when I can just play it on PC.

simpatico

Will there be first party games soon? This has been the longest Sony has gone without dropping a new gen classic. Helldivers is closest and I don’t even think Sony expected it to do nearly as well as it has.

Interfectum

I built a PC for the living room, 4080 Super + 7800X3D. Had it for like a week, trying to understand how to use it without a keyboard, I boot it in Big Picture mode. The whole plan from the start has been to use it like a Pro ”console”. love it tbh! It runs everything I’ve tried so far at 4K and smooth 60fps. It’s been a serious boost for my gaming interest, couch gaming, smooth framerates, nice visuals, plus mods is awesome!👌
Got Atmos surround working last night, and mapped F12 to the Series controller share button to take screenshots without keyboard.
I have one in the living room too. Biggest issue for me is I have three young kids and I need to be able to suspend/resume at any time and PC doesn't allow that. If/when SteamOS is ever ready for living room PCs, I'll probably be dropping consoles the next day. I just need a few more QOL perks for living room to do so.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Probably not. Main interest was boosting PSVR2 but maybe the rumors are true and the PSVR2 is gonna have a short life 🤷.

Pro as a whole is definitely a waste though considering studios rarely take advantage of what is already there. The Pro is just gonna brute force stable 60 for unoptimized games.

Fredrik

I have one in the living room too. Biggest issue for me is I have three young kids and I need to be able to suspend/resume at any time and PC doesn't allow that. If/when SteamOS is ever ready for living room PCs, I'll probably be dropping consoles the next day. I just need a few more QOL perks for living room to do so.
Yeah I understand that. I have bigger kids so it’s no real problem for me but quick resume is certainly a great feature on consoles.

I’ve only had my living room PC for just over a week, still a noob on this, still learning how to set it all up.

I think the biggest issues for me was getting rid of noise. Default settings for fans made it noisy like a vacuum cleaner… And not having to use a keyboard. It took awhile to map F12 to the share button, was more complicated than it should’ve been, so as a notorious paparazzi I had a wireless keyboard infront of me, didn’t want that.

Biggest upsides has been having access to mods. And using the same purchases and saves as on the desktop PC is a total game changer! Used to only work on play anywhere titles. And having Xbox and Playstation games plus emulation on the same box. And framerates and visuals of course. And RDR2 maxed out in the living room!

Last edited:

Interfectum

Yeah I understand that. I have bigger kids so it’s no real problem for me but quick resume is certainly a great feature on consoles.

I’ve only had my living room PC for just over a week, still a noob on this, still learning how to set it all up.

I think the biggest issues for me was getting rid of noise. Default settings for fans made it noisy like a vacuum cleaner… And not having to use a keyboard. It took awhile to map F12 to the share button, was more complicated than it should’ve been, so as a notorious paparazzi I had a wireless keyboard infront of me, didn’t want that.

Biggest upsides has been having access to mods. And using the same purchases and saves as on the desktop PC is a total game changer! Used to only work on play anywhere titles. And having Xbox and Playstation games plus emulation on the same box. And framerates and visuals of course. And RDR2 maxed out in the living room!
This is what I use and it's amazing... I rarely see anyone suggest it but it beats having a full keyboard laying around. I just keep with with my PC controller:

iHaunter

If I can... It'll likely be a bot-fest like that PS5 release. They will SELL OUT FAST! I suspect the PS4 bros will be upgrading to the PS5 if there's a price reduction, make that supply likely low again.

Fredrik

This is what I use and it's amazing... I rarely see anyone suggest it but it beats having a full keyboard laying around. I just keep with with my PC controller:

That’s interesting!
I use a Microsoft all in one keyboard. It has a really chunky track pad. Sucks that F1-F12 needs a two button combo though.

Nah. I’m not into stopgap consoles. Just stopgap generations like this one were in.

This has arguably been the best generation we've had in terms of tech improvements.

99% of games have a 60 fps mode. Instant loading. Haptic controllers, tons of QOL improvements to the OS

I dunno why people are so damn negative about this gen. The game quality has been absolutely fantastic too.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
This has arguably been the best generation we've had in terms of tech improvements.

99% of games have a 60 fps mode. Instant loading. Haptic controllers, tons of QOL improvements to the OS

I dunno why people are so damn negative about this gen. The game quality has been absolutely fantastic too.
Because they’re just PS4 games in 4K or at 60 fps. Both console makers have let me down.

Poordevil

I'm looking forward to to the upgrade! My current gaming set up is a PS4 Pro displayed on a Sony X900E. Bring on the PS5 Pro baby! I'm ready to see what this current gen console gaming really looks like.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Got 4 ps5’s so trading in two and getting a pro hopefully for free!

Don’t ask why or how lol. Two are still in original boxes as I preordered from two spots and both showed up.

Mahavastu

I will probably buy one, despite being quite disappointed with the rumored specs.
Anyway, I was running into some games where I thought "ok, looks fine but a higher resolution would not hurt" (like Jedi Survivor, Cybperpunk...), and here the more CUs and the better upscaling will hopefully help. I guess there will be more of those games in the long run.
Overall I am still quite happy with the PS5...

Last edited:
Top Bottom