• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony bro's - are you gonna get the Pro?

Will you answer the call?

• I will answer the call and upgrade to a Pro

Votes: 385 67.9%
  • I will reject the call and stay loyal

Votes: 182 32.1%

• Total voters
[x] Maybe

Depends on what all the improved specs mean in real games. The PS5 would have felt much less of an upgrade if I had have a PS4 Pro before. Last gen Pro was a clear leap though, this time even optimistic speculations don't sound mind blowing.
It seems to circle around better RT, higher res and maybe better framerates due to improved upscaling which might accelerate other parts, since stuff can be loaded on different cores differently. Nice, but do I really need and actually clearly see it.
I would think extra expensive 3nm is necessary to make a leap, and change of AMD RDNA and Zen gen, but maybe the little extra sauce is actually interesting enough and more cost efficient than trying to max out current lacking AMD PC tech.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Depends entirely on how much of an upgrade it is compared to the base Ps5, and what parts of the games it improves.

If it can provide 60fps on games that are 30 on Ps5 (like Dragons Dogma 2) and considerably improve image quality in games that struggle to run at 60fps (like Alan Wake 2, FF7 Rebirth, FFXVI, Avatar, etc) I will probably get one.
If the uprades instead focus on better graphics and/or ray tracing I'll pass.
Exactly my thoughts.

• Strength
Reactions: Fbh

NeonDelta

I’ll probably pre order then see what performance is like before going ahead with it. will also depend on the cost and how much I can sell ps5 for. If the difference is too great I’ll stick to my ps5 and upgrade my pc. Also want to see what other games Sony announce between now and then.

howver if it’s not ugly and is somehow smaller than base ps5 I’ll probably get it anyway

Last edited:
I built a PC for the living room, 4080 Super + 7800X3D. Had it for like a week, trying to understand how to use it without a keyboard, I boot it in Big Picture mode. The whole plan from the start has been to use it like a Pro ”console”. love it tbh! It runs everything I’ve tried so far at 4K and smooth 60fps. It’s been a serious boost for my gaming interest, couch gaming, smooth framerates, nice visuals, plus mods is awesome!👌
Got Atmos surround working last night, and mapped F12 to the Series controller share button to take screenshots without keyboard.
hi I have a question do some games not support big picture mode? I couldn't figure out how to get it to work with storm 1 and 2

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Too many yes votes, what's wrong with you people, you don't need this thing in your life

ryan reynolds GIF

Minsc

Gold Member
Depends on a few things.

- Does it do anything for PSVR2?
If yes, then for sure. If no, on to the next:

- Does it actually look noticeably better than the base model or add in performance modes in games that don't have them?
If yes, then the next time I'm actively buying a new game where there's a big noticeable improvement, I'd get it.

As to when I get it:
- Is it only attainable via scalpers like the original PS5?
Hmm, not sure I'd pay the scalper fee this time. Probably sit this out until inventory is better, or something I REALLY want to play has shown to have significantly better performance.

Comfortgel

As a mostly physical gamer, I think the regular 5 and XSX are my last systems. Between the massive push to digital, and adulting, the drive to get more games is withering fast, as is the time to actually enjoy them.

My backlog is impressive enough to keep me busy until I pass.

As a mostly physical gamer, I think the regular 5 and XSX are my last systems. Between the massive push to digital, and adulting, the drive to get more games is withering fast, as is the time to actually enjoy them.

My backlog is impressive enough to keep me busy until I pass.
I said that too long ago.

no switch 2? since your buying 2 of these
No point in me buying the switch 2 when I already have a steam deck Oled. I’m especially not buying any lcd based devices. When Nintendo releases a switch 2 with Oled and the library has grown, then I’ll probably pick one up.

No point in me buying the switch 2 when I already have a steam deck Oled. I’m especially not buying any lcd based devices. When Nintendo releases a switch 2 with Oled and the library has grown, then I’ll probably pick one up.
Is it really confirmed no olds will be at launc h

Codeblew

Day 1 if I can manage to get one. Some of the cost will be offset by selling my current PS5. PS4 Pro was definitely worth it and I think this will be too.

Fredrik

hi I have a question do some games not support big picture mode? I couldn't figure out how to get it to work with storm 1 and 2
I know some games don’t work with a controller but otherwise I haven’t experienced any problems, but I’m new to this, the experienced folks can probably help out more, let’s continue here:

Barakov

The poll needs a maybe option. I need to see the difference between the two models in games before seeing either way. For now I'll vote no.

skit_data

Yeah probably, got a friend who was thinking of buying a PS5 so I told him he could buy mine once I get my hands on the Pro.
I'm overall satisfied with the base model but when playing FFXVI I realized there will be more games where even I, who doesn't really care about resolution much, might see some benefits of a slightly higher specced console.

ShakenG

Would get it for GT7 alone. So yeah, cant wait. Really hoping to see if they add Raytracing to any gamemodes other than replays. See if the frame rate improves overall. Some tracks, especially with rain can be distraction when it skips.

Otherwise ....
Just throw some coin away each week for the next 3-4 years and feels like nothing. rince and repeat after each release.
Very curious to see PSSR, some power boost to improve visuals and IQ is always welcome to me.
Not gona have a bitch about the cpu difference. It is what it is. Its a mid gen refresh console. Ill look forward to the PS6 for any significant changes.

Im Curious to see what it looks like. Guessing similar design/Size to the 5. Maybe fatter? 99% sure it'll keep the same white. Cooling? Will the Disk drive on the slim be a universal fit?

evanft

No.

My PS5 at this point is almost entirely used to play PS4 games that I either never got around to when I had a PS4 or ran like shit on that system. The number of truly exclusive PS5 games has shrunk precipitously this gen. Basically anything that comes out from Sony is likely to get a PC port. I'd much rather wait and play the games with all the DLC at higher frame rates and resolutions than what the Pro will likely be capable of.

mrMUR_96

Pretty mixed tbh, depends on pricing and if there's good trade-in value for the base ps5. We haven't really seen much actually take advantage of the ps5 anyways.

Bond007

Im not a bro since i own all the consoles.
But maybe i am cause its my favorite console since PS1 :p

The answer is absolutely.

I know some games don’t work with a controller but otherwise I haven’t experienced any problems, but I’m new to this, the experienced folks can probably help out more, let’s continue here:
Thanks for the link

Gamerguy84

100% yes.

I have two PS5s and a PSVR2. So I'm hoping it will help out with PSVR some as well.

I'll keep my bedroom PS5 as is but hook the PRO up to the nicer living room TV with the VR.

JCK75

I'm not a sony bro but at some point a few years down the road I will find the right price at the right time and bite.
I got a PS4 pro for like $240ish and the Xbox One X for roughly the same price watching Amazon black friday/cyber monday deals..

And I shall fuggin do it again

Dazraell

We found the brokie!
Yes, not everyone here is a spoiled kid living with parents who gives them everything they want when they cry about new equipment and skins to games.

In all seriousness, I'm being disappointed with my PS5 so far. Most games I play are through PS4 backward compatibility, Sony's current exclusives didn't blew me away and with most of current gen games I tend to use performance over fidelity modes either way. I just don't see a reason to pay for an upgraded model

octos

Neo Member
Yes because I think most games will benefit from this:
1) games that have uncapped framerates will obviously reach higher fps, could be 60+
2) a lot of games will receive patches for PS5 pro support => expect higher resolution and 60fps (maybe 120 sometimes) + more ray tracing

The first PS5/XB years were great but now we're seeing more and more games with performance issues, and some devs almost giving up on trying to reach 60fps.

NickFire

If the Pro allows the base model quality mode at a minimum of 40 FPS, and generally targets 60 (and sometimes 120), then I’ll probably get it.

On second thought, who the F am I trying to kid. It’s early Saturday morning and I’m posting about possibly getting a Pro that hasn’t been revealed yet. Yeah, I’ll be getting it.

Not for me personally. I've barely had the PS5 3 years...I've just bought a Portal; not sure what net benefit a PS5 pro will provide to me. Open to hearing from you all what the benefits are, but I'm not seeing it atm. Another console will drop in 3 years from now too. 🤷‍♂️

SHA

Say whatever you want but there's no doubt it'll steal the spotlight of any underperforming games, especially the new current gen games.

Trilobit

There's such a small output of games coming to the PS5 that I think I could have been just as happy with getting a PS4 instead. I see absolutely no purpose with upgrading my PS5 to the Pro. Maybe if we get more Sweet Baby Inc games. Snowrunner wasn't inclusive enough.

Last edited:

Certinty

I barely play my PS5 anymore but purely for GTA VI, i’ll bite at launch. That game deserves to be played in the best possible settings.

Top Bottom