• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony close to agreeing cloud gaming acquisition

ironcreed

Banned
Welcome to the future. Where games look and run like shit for people with less than adequate connections and is not an option at all for those with caps. Furthermore, you don't get to own anything you buy. Play Beyond!

Akira

First time since the PSX era when Sony is the innovator but that is not important nowadays.

What is important is that Sony outdid Apple. PS3 and PS4 will offer out of the box streaming gaming FIRST, before Apple Game Console in the following years.

#gamechanger FOR REAL this time.

Let's wait until the announcement before we make such bold claims, huh?

Hoo-doo

Banned
Bandwidth caps on your internet?
*shudder*

Can't even imagine that shit. But yeah I don't imagine services like this taking off if people's internet access is being restricted to a certain amount of GB's.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Welcome to the future. Where games look and run like shit for people with less than adequate connections and is not an option at all for those with caps. Furthermore, you don't get to own anything you buy. Play Beyond!

That is certainly one way of looking at it. You are assuming that Sony is going completely cloud based, they would be crazy to do that at this point in time, but why not offer it as a service for those that can take advantage of it and the benefits it offers?

I am someone that currently has a 1Mbps connection, so it will be useless for me at the moment but there will be a time when people look back and wont be able to imagine a time when this wasn't the standard.

There was a time when streaming video was the stuff of a madmans dreams and people were concerned that they didn't 'own' the movie yet services like Netflix seem to thrive.

iceatcs

*shudder*

Can't even imagine that shit. But yeah I don't imagine services like this taking off if people's internet access is being restricted to a certain amount of GB's.

You don't download anything, you download a cloud. There is no data in there.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
this is mostly for game demos and PSN/Indie game streams. Sony knows about our speeds and cap limits.

jdmonmou

I am betting that Playstation + members are going to reap major benefits from this integration.

OOH yeah.. I'd definitely sign up for Playstation plus if I could stream my PS3 games to the Vita or possibly some other mobile device. That'd also be a swipe at the Wii U that has been touting the feature of being able to stream games to the tablet remote.

I've always chosen to buy multiplayer games on the 360 rather than the PS3 because of Xbox live. A feature that allows you to play your PS3 games on the road would definitely lead me to start to buy most of my games for the PS3.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I am sure Sony Didn't just go buy a company without some long term looking under the hood and analysis of the issues surrounding cloud computing. They know the limitations and the bandwidth issues around the world, and if they are betting their entire FUTURE on this than I am 100% sure they have the ability to improve and make this work.

We don't know what they are doing at this point, and more than likely it WILL NOT be the PS4 it may be the PS5 but they have to start somewhere. They buy this company and roll it out in little steps maybe on PS4 it will offer BC for those who chose to use it. Than maybe it goes to TV's for those without a console starting with remastered PS1 games or upscaled PS1 games as a pay service we just don't know.

Give them a few years and they will have the technology and history of using it down and it can be used as the PS5..

PS4 will be media based as well with DLC and maybe some streaming (BC/PS1) connectivity. Think 5-10 years down the line they have to start somewhere but PS4 this isnt.

ironcreed

Banned
*shudder*

People should not have to even be online in order to play their games anyway. Much less pay for a game that you can only play via streaming on a cloud. I'll take digital download any day over this. As at least the quality will not suffer, I don't need to be online to play it and it is on my hard drive.

There is not a single thing that this purchase suggests that is good news for me... Even the BC suggestion is worthless, I don't want BC streamed, I want fucking BC.

ironcreed

Banned
That is certainly one way of looking at it. You are assuming that Sony is going completely cloud based, they would be crazy to do that at this point in time, but why not offer it as a service for those that can take advantage of it and the benefits it offers?

I am someone that currently has a 1Mbps connection, so it will be useless for me at the moment but there will be a time when people look back and wont be able to imagine a time when this wasn't the standard.

There was a time when streaming video was the stuff of a madmans dreams and people were concerned that they didn't 'own' the movie yet services like Netflix seem to thrive.

I was just being a smart ass for fun mostly, but yeah, I am not a fan of streaming right now. What benefit does it offer over just buying or renting a game? The only difference is the performance and visuals will suffer, but maybe they have found a way to improve all of this. I'll just wait and see, but don't really see the appeal as is.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I am sure Sony Didn't just go buy a company without some long term looking under the hood and analysis of the issues surrounding cloud computing. They know the limitations and the bandwidth issues around the world, and if they are betting their entire FUTURE on this than I am 100% sure they have the ability to improve and make this work.

They would not be betting their foreseeable future on this.

There will need to be a box that can execute software locally for quite a long time, if you want your box to have a global distribution anyway.

However I think it's clear there's a intersection of convenience, game type, and infrastructure in some of the main markets, where this can be a very compelling addition. And that intersection may grow.

I said a long time ago, when Onlive started out, before there was any hint of console makers adopting this, that it could be a very compelling augmentation, or complementary technology for the next gen consoles. It will not be a be-all, end-all for a long time but it I think it can be a super cool enhancement to some aspects of the console experience.

People should not have to even be online in order to play their games anyway. Much less pay for a game that you can only play via streaming on a cloud. I'll take digital download any day over this. As at least the quality will not suffer, I don't need to be online to play it and it is on my hard drive.

Lucky for you will still be able to do just that.

Why do people speak in such extremes? Cloud gaming? "No way that sucks I will stick to Xbox and steam and download instead." You can do cloud gaming and downloads on one console and only downloads on the other. Why is choice such a bad thing?

ironcreed

Banned
Lucky for you will still be able to do just that.

Why do people speak in such extremes? Cloud gaming? "No way that sucks I will stick to Xbox and steam and download instead." You can do cloud gaming and downloads on one console and only downloads on the other. Why is choice such a bad thing?

I am fine with it just being a choice. I was merely elaborating on why I don't see the appeal of going this route over just buying, renting or downloading a game. As unless your connection is tops, the quality is going to suffer. But sure, to each their own indeed.

AndyD

aka andydumi
It seems that Sony is already getting ready for next-next gen when the lag and compression issues are gone and home consoles make no sense anymore. It seems like a great move for Sony. Better aquire now then later.

And through a full acquisition they are probably also going to get a trove of patents so when it becomes mainstream, they just license it to everyone else.

oh snap.

So that rumored partnership deal that is in the works with Gaikai isn't actually a partnership but a full on acquisition?

This could be big.

Question for the techies: I basically know fuck all about streaming and hardware tech, but I'm really curious whether it's possible to design a system where the hardware in your living room could work together with the streaming server on running tasks/games, etc. (via HDD installs or whatever)?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I wonder if it would even involve the PS division at all if it's a full acquisition instead of a partnership specifically to use it for their products, maybe they'd just run it business as usual? Kinda like their Sony Online stuff were. Or integrate it on their TVs.

And through a full acquisition they are probably also going to get a trove of patents so when it becomes mainstream, they just license it to everyone else.
Er, there are several other streaming services anyone else could licence from if it becomes a hit, they're not buying them all.

I wonder if it would even involve the PS division at all if it's a full acquisition instead of a partnership specifically to use it for their products, maybe they'd just run it business as usual? Kinda like their Sony Online stuff were. Or integrate it on their TVs.

Er, there are several other streaming services anyone else could licence from if it becomes a hit, they're not buying them all.

Right but those services would either have to work around those patents or pay for those patents. It isn't as simple as just creating a new service, and Onlive isn't very good. Just ask Sony they got sued for the rumble feature in the dual shock lol. Microsoft has millions of dollars at stake in patent infringement claims.

This would get me to sign up for PS+

Well, Sony and some guy from a gaming site have been saying that it would be in your best interest to at least go with a 3 month subscription to PSN+ before E3. Something big is definitely going down there.

You don't download anything, you download a cloud. There is no data in there.

What in the what?

Anyway, I see this only as a positive. I don't think Sony is putting all its eggs in the streaming basket, but to have it as a service in conjunction with PSN titles and retail titles is huge. Especially on the Vita. And if the tech can make the connection between the Vita and PS3/4 better for remote play, that's even better.

It's a bold move and one that I think compliments a gaming system nicely.

Zaptruder

Banned
Who's got the better tech right now? Gaikai right?

OTOH, OnLive has that founder that's working on the DIDO wireless tech... but not much news since it was revealed last year... not that I'd expect any so quickly - sounded like the tech was a few years out.

Anyway... at least someone at Sony knows what's up - cloud gaming is going to be the gaming of the future. Maybe not in the next 2-3 years... but 10-15 years out, if you're not interactive streaming video/gaming service, then you're not in the game.

Noshino

If the service isn't lag-free off the bat, which it won't be, I have to agree with you.

Nextbox having flawless BC whilst PS4 will have to be ad-based, subscription based service that is laggy as their BC solution doesn't sound like a winning strategy to win back marketshare. Supporters best comeback is to "wait until 10-20 years time". . . really?

Flawless BC? has this been confirmed?

Also, you make it sound as if the "Nextbox" wont have as many ads, which is funny since currently the 360 is the one with the most ads.

You are using Sony's patents as a sign of them creating an ad-based service, yet ignore the fact that Microsoft also has ad related patents as well (hell, they even applied for a patent for skipping ads), a portfolio that even further increased with the AOL sale.

What makes you think that?

He probably thinks that they're going to release the PS4 as a cloud only console. There might be a version that does that, but they definitely aren't going to make that leap right now. Console gaming isn't even ready to go with a download only future right now, so there's no way that it's ready for a cloud only console.

I could see a feature for say Vita where if you buy a game digitally you're also able to stream it too. I don't know how many people would buy a game strictly to stream it since unlike your PC or TV, you're not always connected on the Vita.

jdmonmou

Question for the techies: I basically know fuck all about streaming and hardware tech, but I'm really curious whether it's possible to design a system where the hardware in your living room could work together with the streaming server on running tasks/games, etc. (via HDD installs or whatever)?

It's totally possible. Just think Slingbox but for your Playstation. The only limiting factor would be the upload speed for your home Internet connection. Also, you would probably need to connect your Playstation directly to your router.

Mrbob

I wonder if Sony will try to reach people without Playstation products.

Maybe all games 6 months and older go to the streaming service. Make your money at retail initially, and then branch out to people who don't own your hardware. I'm sure there are those without a PS3 who would like to play the Uncharted series. Could be the new movie theater/home video sales model the industry is trying to find.

Ok, I get it, if you hate Sony then you say this is a bad move without any explanation why.

I thought we were going to have a decent conversation here about the positives and negatives. :(

Maybe all games 6 months and older go to the streaming service. Make your money at retail initially, and then branch out to people who don't own your hardware. I'm sure there are those without a PS3 who would like to play the Uncharted series. Could be the new movie theater/home video sales model equivalent.

6 months? No. Try a few years. As I said, I can see a feature where you buy a game from the PSN and you are able to stream it to other formats like a TV/PC/Vita/Cell phone.

rdrr gnr

Maybe all games 6 months and older go to the streaming service. Make your money at retail initially, and then branch out to people who don't own your hardware. I'm sure there are those without a PS3 who would like to play the Uncharted series. Could be the new movie theater/home video sales model the industry is trying to find.
Your tag. Bow.

6 months? No. Try a few years. As I said, I can see a feature where you buy a game from the PSN and you are able to stream it to other formats like a TV/PC/Vita/Cell phone.

That alone would be pretty big. I'm not sure why Sony wouldn't do that. People aren't buying these consoles because of downloadable titles, so they wouldn't be losing any console sales by allowing someone to play something like Journey on their PC. The sales for those games would certainly increase.

Karak

Man I am having a hard time thinking of a way this would work.

BC for PS3 means introducing lag to games that don't have any changing the actual gameplay
Streaming demos of new games introducing lag and or resolution issues(I thought Sony was shooting for an even higher res next gen) no way they even hit 1080p with this. I could even see devs not enjoying the idea of their next big hit being a demo on a streaming service.

Movies and music or some additions to Sony services seem ok but I would hate to be in one of the millions of places with a bad ping for these services. Sadly both online gaming services have issues all the time. Working good for a bit then net congestion and now its not working..

I think this is a great idea for a future time with network speeds are much higher so that at minimum a 1080p and no lag could be introduced.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Right but those services would either have to work around those patents or pay for those patents. It isn't as simple as just creating a new service, and Onlive isn't very good. Just ask Sony they got sued for the rumble feature in the dual shock lol. Microsoft has millions of dollars at stake in patent infringement claims.
So why hasn't onlive sued gaikai or vice versa if they can? But Sony suddenly will, and win, when they buy one or the other, we don't even know which. It's plausible but it's reaching to er, praise them over such a possibility already (if ever), lol.

And why are people saying Sony innovates/outdoes Apple by buying one of several existing running streaming services? Onlive was going to support iOS tablets and other systems too if it doesn't already but that wouldn't be an Apple fueled innovation either.

Did you also think it's innovative when an existing video streaming service like YouTube or Netflix came to the consoles?

see5harp

Ok, I get it, if you hate Sony then you say this is a bad move without any explanation why.

I thought we were going to have a decent conversation here about the positives and negatives. :(

I think it's a good idea for the long haul but I'm just not sure what they plan on offering for the near future. For something like an MMO or a turn based game, this could be awesome. It's a good way of providing a rotating suite of full games for a subscription service. I need to see and experience it before having a serious conversation though.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
So when discussing if the next Xbox should have BD the fanboys scream for an all DD console. When Sony might augment their services with cloud gaming it is all bandwidth caps and doom. Cloud gaming is exactly the same as Netflix streaming, you get a compressed video sent to your device. If you can stream Netflix, or Amazon or Hulu, you can cloud game.

onQ123

Remember the plan for all Cell based hardware to work together in a network?

maybe that's what this will be like

Top Bottom