• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Sony closing PSP storefront (but PSP games still available via PS3/Vita/PC webstore)

autoduelist

Lol at the first page and people overreacting.

This was already done in the west. It's not a big deal -- games are still easy to buy and access. It's just one less archaic storefront Sony has to maintain, which makes sense all around.

I love me a good GAF meltdown. Have we had any news on when the North American access will stop, is this March 2016 date seems to be for Japan. I think o have all the games I really wanted anyway:

Crash Bandicoot 1-3
Spyro 1-3
Crash Team Racing
Fighting Force
Street Fighter Alpha 3

I think I have a few other games like Starwars Battlefront and that fighting game that got ported from Dreamcast, forgot the name. I'm afraid I don't have a PS3 to do transfers, was directly downloading on PSP Go. I'll have to use the PC app going forward if I decide to get anymore games. Hopefully there's a PS4 transfer option soon, as I hope to own one in future.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
....until they shutdown the Vita store. Which if the PSP is getting shutdown, so will the Vita within a few years.

Disgusting to think about. :/

The PSP is 10 years old, the Vita is 3+ years old and still successful in Japan. I don't think that's happening anytime soon, especially considering they are going to want to leverage the library they have, not squander it.

And also, the PSP store is not being shut down, the store is not going to be able to be accessed from the actual PSP HW, but you can still access the store online and in other places.

As long as Sony maintains a path for getting digital purchase back to the original hardware then I am fine. Even if it means jumping through a few hoops, I don't expect them to maintain easy access in perpetuity.

The day they cut off all avenues says to me "fine, just use CFW". I've spent enough on PSN that I feel zero guilt going the.. ahem.. "internet archivist" route if it comes to pass.

I thought we knew about this months ago?

Sony said they were bringing it down last year. Then put out a patch in January (years after the last patch) and left the store up until now. So this seems like "No, we REALLY mean it this time!"

6.61 - January 15, 2015
6.60 - August 10, 2011

Moofers

The PSP doesnt even work with my wifi network anymore (the tech has advanced too far for it) so this is not a loss for me. I use my PS3 to buy those games anyway.

I'm surprised you were still able to buy PSP games on the actual hardware in Japan. Though PSP is alot more successful in Japan compared to here.

autoduelist

....until they shutdown the Vita store. Which if the PSP is getting shutdown, so will the Vita within a few years.

Disgusting to think about. :/

They will definitely shut down the Vita store someday... but just as with PSP, you'll still be able to buy the games on the webstore and download them from your download list, etc.

In other words, it's not a big deal.

Expecting them to maintain a storefront for decades is ridiculous. As long as we can still buy and download games it's seriously not a big deal. At all.

RootCause

Just one question. I know games can still be bought through the web store, but how do psp owners download games to their system now?

Just one question. I know games can still be bought through the web store, but how do psp owners download games to their system now?

You can use the PS3 (download the game from its store, plug in PSP via USB) or your PC (details in the links below from the last page).

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=186980273&postcount=244
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=186981287&postcount=250

edit: You can also back up your digital games from the PSP itself to PC (and probably PS3, not sure) and restore them later. I have a local backup of all my digital games. Faster to swap them this way than redownloading and if they ever kill support entirely then no big deal for me.

AAoGcX1.png

Galdelico

The PSP doesnt even work with my wifi network anymore (the tech has advanced too far for it) so this is not a loss for me. I use my PS3 to buy those games anyway.

I think the latest firmware update (6.61, relased in January 2015) fixed that. I can go online, browse the US store and buy/download stuff with the PSP itself (2004 Slim & Lite), all through my relatively new wi-fi connection and router.

You can use the PS3 (download the game from its store, plug in PSP via USB) or your PC (details in the links below from the last page).

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=186980273&postcount=244
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=186981287&postcount=250

edit: You can also back up your digital games from the PSP itself to PC (and probably PS3, not sure) and restore them later. I have a local backup of all my digital games. Faster to swap them this way than redownloading and if they ever kill support entirely then no big deal for me.

AAoGcX1.png
Very useful post, thanks for this. I'm going to back games up to my computer when I get a chance.

Macrotus

People are annoyed they won't be able to purchase new games, not the fear that old games will be locked away.
Have a read through the thread again. Ok?

From what I've read, I think you still can purchase new PSP games through PS3 and PC.
They're just removing direct PS Store access feature from PSPs.

So as long as you have a PS3 or PC, I don't think theres anything to worry about.

Very useful post, thanks for this. I'm going to back games up to my computer when I get a chance.

I should point out that Media Go doesn't organize things into nicely named folders. I go through the bother of backing up games one at a time and renaming the generic folder to the game name. It is actually a little more involved than I am making it sound because the software really wants to group everything into one big backup (and is probably what more people are after honestly, I have some stuff like copying over a network that complicates things for me). I can do a detailed guide if anyone is interested.

Moofers

I think the latest firmware update (6.61, relased in January 2015) fixed that. I can go online, browse the US store and buy/download stuff with the PSP itself (2004 Slim & Lite), all through my relatively new wi-fi connection and router.
Oh? Awesome! I had no idea. Time to go update my PSP Go then :)
Thanks!

Galdelico

Oh? Awesome! I had no idea. Time to go update my PSP Go then :)
Thanks!
No problem!
All I had to do was to update from my PC: downloaded the firmware from Sony's website, put the file into the Memory Stick (you need to create a folder named UPDATE - all uppercase - into the GAME folder, and copy-paste the file in it), and finally launched the update from the PSP.
Hopefully it will fix your connection issues.

fvng

how do you redownload previously purchased games from sony servers into the psp then? there used to be a software manager for psp for windows but i'm pretty sure that's discontinued. you cant transfer to psp via the ps4, so I'm assuming they only want it to be done via the ps3? game management on psp is going to be a nightmare

Everyone with a PSP should have custom firmware anyways. Not just for emulation purposes, but to stop using those awful discs and to be able to play all the incompatible PSone games on there too.

I should point out that Media Go doesn't organize things into nicely named folders. I go through the bother of backing up games one at a time and renaming the generic folder to the game name. It is actually a little more involved than I am making it sound because the software really wants to group everything into one big backup (and is probably what more people are after honestly, I have some stuff like copying over a network that complicates things for me). I can do a detailed guide if anyone is interested.
I'd definitely be interested in a guide.

So you need the Media Go software to transfer games from PSP to computer? I have a Mac and I'm sure I'd installed the software on my Windows boot camp ages ago. Will have to have a look sometime. I thought it'd be as simple as hooking up my PSP Go to my computer via a USB cable and then drag and drop games.

Yeah, you've got to get Media Go to recognize the PSP. If you need detailed instructions of how to get Media Go talking with your PSP consult Google, but the basics are this:

• Start Media Go
  • Plug in PSP via USB
  • On the PSP go to Settings > USB Connection
  • USB Mode should enable
  • You will see a PSP option in Media Go like this if it is working:
5qCBpFc.png

Once Media Go recognizes the PSP click on PSP > Games from the drop down and all the games you have installed should be listed.

7H0dja3.png

To back up a game to your PC all you have to do is right click it and add it to your library. It is really similar to working with an ipod and itunes. After adding a game to your library you should be able to click on Library > Games (in the left menu) and see the game you added.

5c4doBs.png

This is where things get a little weird for me. I have a NAS (Network Attached Storage, essentially a tiny box of hard drives for storing loads of data). The short of it is this means that managing one giant library of all my games would be a pain. So instead I add a single game to my library, back it up to my NAS, and then clear out my library. Turning the library feature in Media Go into a staging area for moving games up or down from the PSP.

Here is the steps of what exactly I do. If you want the reasoning for this madness, or more details about particular steps, check out the paragraphs at the bottom.

• Add one game from PSP to Library. I'll be using Bermuda Triangle (seen above)
  • Confirm only that one game is listed in Library > Games
  • Right click on the game in library and select 'Explore Containing Folder'
  • Move up the directory until you get to the 'Media Go' folder.
  • This will probably have 2 folders inside of it, 'AutoBackup' and 'PSP'. PSP is the one we care about. AutoBackup contains your licenses and is also important, more on that below.
  • Create a folder in the location you want to permanently backup the game.
  • Rename the folder to the game name. In my example, 'Bermuda Triangle'
  • Copy the PSP folder into the new 'Bermuda Triangle' folder.
  • Go back into Media Go and delete the game from your Library. Choose Delete File from the pop up so it deletes it from the disk as well. (Make sure you are in your Library and not in PSP or else it will delete it from your PSP)
  • If you want to confirm the back up worked you should be able to copy the PSP folder back into the Media Go folder.
  • Flip back to the Media Go application and you should see the game show up in the Library. Just delete it again once you've confirmed.
I went through this process a few times with small games doing various experiments. I recommend doing the same to get more comfortable before doing 700+ MB games, just so a silly mistake doesn't force you to start over or redownload a massive game.

OK, that is a lot of stuff and probably kind of confusing so allow me to explain some things. You can do a select all and back up all your games to your library, and I am sure that is what most people do. That is fine. Since I am backing these up as more of a permanent storage I don't want it hanging around stealing a bunch of hard drive space, and I don't want to have to worry that if my computer crashes or my drive fails that I lost my entire digital library.

Backing up the entire library as 1 game was the most flexible way I found to be able to swap in and out a game over a network to different computers. I tried a bunch of stuff like forcing Media Go to use a network drive to manage its library and it just didn't work out. The way it is now, I go to my network, copy the PSP folder in Castlevania down to the Media Go folder. Click Add To > PSP in the application. Done. I am ready to Castlevania. It works for me, find whatever works for you.

LICENSES!
Media Go has a decently involved library file structure so I'll try and keep this as straight to the point as possible. In the Media Go folder where there are the AutoBackup and PSP folders, if you dig around in the AutoBackup folder you will find a bunch of weird license files. If Sony ever does kill all methods of authenticating your games as legit these files are going to be VERY important. In short this is what allows the PSP to decrypt the weird .PBP files you've been backing up and without them your backups are worthless. I make a separate backup of the entire folder every so often just to make sure I've grabbed any new licenses from new games. Don't forget them! (Also probably goes without saying but just to be sure, don't share your license files!)

That was a buttload of info, sorry if any of it was confusing and I am sure I screwed something up. If you are stuck or unsure on anything ask away and I'll clear up what I can.

edit: I guess I should add that now that I realize you can download directly from the store in Media Go my backup process will probably not include plugging in the PSP at all anymore. But I'm gonna have to do a bunch of tests first to make sure games, patches, DLC, saves, licenses, so on.. all plays nicely with swapping. I'll have to confirm that downloading a game from Media Go and backing it up is identical to downloading it on PSP or PS3.

edit2: nope, scratch that. You have to have the PSP plugged in to download the game. It will only let you download directly to the PSP, not into your library. Weird, oh well.

Moofers

I'm having problems getting my PSP games downloaded onto my PC from the Sony website.

-I can log into the PS Store and select "Purchase HIstory" NOT "Download List".

-PSP games will have a download option that games for other systems don't have.

-I'll download all my games, but they just show up in the download folder on my PC with long strings of numbers and letters for the names. No idea which game is which.

-Media Go doesn't recognize that I've downloaded any of it.

-So where do I go with these files now?

-Media Go doesn't recognize that I've downloaded any of it.

-So where do I go with these files now?

It is kind of shoddy, yeah. You don't use Media Go at all. I haven't used that method in a while but you need to get the network utility from here: https://account.sonyentertainmentne...devices/playstation/psp/psn-downloader.action

Although if you have Media Go working then I would just connect your PSP over USB. Log into the Store (top option in the left menu, login with PSN credentials) and download games that way. It will download them directly to the PSP and then from there you can backup or play or do whatever.

Moofers

It is kind of shoddy, yeah. You don't use Media Go at all. I haven't used that method in a while but you need to get the network utility from here: https://account.sonyentertainmentne...devices/playstation/psp/psn-downloader.action

Although if you have Media Go working then I would just connect your PSP over USB. Log into the Store (top option in the left menu, login with PSN credentials) and download games that way. It will download them directly to the PSP and then from there you can backup or play or do whatever.

I have that downloader on my PC but I have no idea how to open it or use it. Its not a component of Media Go? Because it seems like when I link to the store from Media Go, all roads take me to that downloader and then my files just end up in my download folder with unidentifiable names like I mentioned in my earlier post.

Just noticed your edit. It is a weird process. You install the PSN Network Downloader from that link above, which should end up installing here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\PLAYSTATION Network Downloader\

Make sure Media Go IS NOT RUNNING, or else it will fight for control over the PSP [further messing with it seems like they run side by side totally fine, but I'd still close it down just in case]. Connect the PSP to your PC using USB and go to Settings > USB Connection to start USB Mode.

If the installer setup your file associations correct the .xpd file you download from the website should change its icon from the generic type to one that looks like the PSN Store bag. if so, just double click it. If not right-click the file and choose Open With and navigate to the the folder above and choose 'psndl.exe' to launch it.

If all goes well the game should download and install. What will more likely happen is it will fail with connection error. It is extremely finicky and I have found no way to get it to be consistent beyond trying a bunch of times until it finally goes. Time of day and rebooting the PSP, weirdly, seems to be big factors. Your mileage may vary.

It is worth pointing out that the PSN Store on the PSP will fail out with a connection error on the regular, but I have found it to be much more stable than the PSN Network Downloader (which is why I switched).

ALSO worth pointing out that the thing you download from the website with all the weird numbers and letters is just a tiny 4KB file that kicks off the download and is not suitable for backing up the actual game data itself. Probably obvious but figured I'd point it out.

SO, with all that I would again strongly recommend just using Media Go. It has its own set of quirks and annoyances but much less than that weird utility.

==== EDIT ====
I don't know if anyone cares or if this is useful but I am digging through all this stuff so I might as well document it here for my own reference and if it is useful for anyone else then all the better.

Some finer details on the file structure for the PSP when it comes to DLC and patching. Not many games on PSP had DLC or patches but a few of them are out there and knowing exactly what it is doing is useful when it comes to archiving.

DLC
DLC is downloaded and maintained as separate .EDAT files and does not modify the base game file (the EBOOT.PBP) itself. Instead a separate PARAM.PBP is modified every time a piece of DLC is downloaded.

DLC Files
  • DL_US_00.EDAT [DLC]
  • DL_US_01.EDAT [DLC]
  • DL_US_02.EDAT [DLC etc..]
  • PARAM.PBP [Modified each download]
Game File
  • EBOOT.PBP [Unmodified]
Patching (WIP)
Currently working out the details on this..

Backing up each version might be something to consider as it is unclear how and if patching a PSP game will be possible once the servers go down. I have not looked extensively but there does not appear to be a way to patch a game downloaded from Media Go, or PS3, so this is potentially a feature that could be lost, and could be a big deal for certain games depending on what the patch does.

'LocoRoco Midnight Carnival' seems to be the most complicated, at least in what is available in my library, in terms of post release mucking: Patching and DLC.

j-wood

Figured I'd bump this thread up, but SCEA just posted this to their twitter, for US PSPs as well

https://support.us.playstation.com/articles/en_US/KC_Article/Closure-Of-PlayStation-Store-On-PSP

On March 31, 2016, the PlayStation®Store for PlayStation®Portable (PSP®) system in the SCEA region will be closed. PSP system users will be able to purchase PSP content from the web-based PlayStation Store at store.playstation.com, and also access past purchases from the Download list on their PSP system. Users will continue to have the ability to make in-game purchases from their PSP system.

Select PSP games are also available for purchase on the PlayStation®Store for PlayStation®Vita system users.

Will also bump as a friendly reminder this is happening in about 3 weeks.

Just downloaded the last of my games using the store unless a sale or something happens. I know I'll still be able to get them but feels good having everything backed up. Also not having to scroll for ages through the download list will be nice, just have to stay on top of new purchases.

Looks like my final store download is Brandish: The Dark Revenant. Hell of a way to go out.

Zophar

Very puzzled as to what this means. I have a PSP and a Vita, but are they just gonna stop offering PSP games on their store altogether? I usually buy them from the web. Is anything actually gonna change, or do I have to rush out and pick up P3P?

Very puzzled as to what this means. I have a PSP and a Vita, but are they just gonna stop offering PSP games on their store altogether? I usually buy them from the web. Is anything actually gonna change, or do I have to rush out and pick up P3P?

It's in the support page, and quoted in this thread already. Basically, you can no longer buy PSP games using your PSP, but you CAN buy them via the webstore still, and you can download purchases on your PSP using the Download List. You can also purchase most (not all) PSP games through a Vita, if you have one of those. PSP games are not leaving PSN, as far as anyone knows, and you'll still be able to purchase P3P after the PSP storefront closes.

Why are they doing this, I thought Sony was killing it. Is this a low selling part of the business?

The store front on the PSP is closing. Nothing on the Vita is changing. The games will still be available to purchase and download on Vita, PS3 and the website (and transferred down to PSP using those last 2 options).

I just noticed this sentence from the support page. Not sure why it didn't catch my eye but kind of interesting. So I guess some of the purchasing services will still function on the PSP, it really is strictly the store shutting down. Interesting little fact. Will have to wait a few weeks after shut down and see if DLC purchases or whatever still works.

Users will continue to have the ability to make in-game purchases from their PSP system.

Zophar

It's in the support page, and quoted in this thread already. Basically, you can no longer buy PSP games using your PSP, but you CAN buy them via the webstore still, and you can download purchases on your PSP using the Download List. You can also purchase most (not all) PSP games through a Vita, if you have one of those. PSP games are not leaving PSN, as far as anyone knows, and you'll still be able to purchase P3P after the PSP storefront closes.

I read the support page and the quoted bit, still didn't make a lot of sense to me. Thanks.

Top Bottom