• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Sony closing PSP storefront (but PSP games still available via PS3/Vita/PC webstore)

Demoskinos

Sony announced that it’s ending PSP software sales on the PSP’s PlayStation Store as well as the UMD Passport service on March 31, 2016 in Japan, Inside Games reports. Previously purchased content will be still available and can be downloaded again.

According to the official release and pointed out by Twitter user Mazyx, PSP owners in Japan can still buy PSP content through the Vita, PS3, PC or mobile devices and then transfer them to their PlayStation Portables.

This winding down isn’t totally unexpected, since Sony ceased shipping new PSP units last year in Japan.

11/27- 7:46am - Update: This post has been changed for clarification.

Lock if old.

Source: http://kotaku.com/sony-announced-that-it-s-ending-psp-software-sales-on-t-1744870552

Edit: It's been pointed out in the thread what is actually being shut down is the PSP storefront not the actual selling of PSP games. Updated topic title for accuracy.

Dohers.

I thought they were just closing the PSP store front? I think you can still buy them through PS VITA or PS3

Tizoc

What the fucking hell Sonty?

Oh man there are so many good PSP games on JP PSN, but the damn things cost so much, fuckin hell....

I thought they were just closing the PSP store front? I think you can still buy them through PS VITA or PS3

I'm hoping that's the case, cuz it seems so weird for Sony to do such a thing.

I really hope I'm misunderstanding this.

I mean, a new PSP game came out digitally just the other week, why would they do this now?

Thoraxes

Well, there's goes any BC claims for the few Vita owners to be. At least the list wars threads will be a lot shorter.

Even Nintendo still supports the Wii Shop Channel lol

I have everything I want on that front, but it's still a damn shame. Though, the OP only mentions Japan...

Shahed

Surely this means just that you won't be able to buy games via the PSP any more? Hence why you can transfer them from other devices.

Otherwise it's a monumentally stupid decision

Well that sucks. Time to permanently reduce the PSN price of all PSP games to far lower amounts then, right Sony?

Wait, sales as in completely removing them from the store?! Fuck that!

Wait, what? What fucking bollocks is this?

Fucking digital distribution should prevent game libraries from being lost to time, not make the situation worse!

Jb

How long until the PS3 store isn't available anymore and we can't download all the stuff we bought digitally? :/

I really hope I'm misunderstanding this.

I mean, a new PSP game came out digitally just the other week, why would they do this now?

This really fucks those English port trails of the Skies guys. After all their bad luck, the game will locked away from sale within 6 months of release? Jesus Christ.

KingBroly

Banned
How long until the PS3 store isn't available anymore and we can't download all the stuff we bought digitally? :/

I give it 4-5 years if they're going to continue to do this.

Maybe they're going to force this to put it on PS Now to force people down that route.

Hektor

Previously purchased content will be still available and can be downloaded again or transferred via Vita, PS3, PC or mobile devices.

It's like half the people don't read the snippet in the OP.

Cabal

I think it's just the PSP storefront closing not that all software made for the PSP is being taken off the marketplace. Poorly worded article if this is the case.

If Sony does this and removes PSP games from Store (PC, Vita), seriously Fuck em. I won't be supporting their shit anymore.

Previously purchased content will be still available and can be downloaded again or transferred via Vita, PS3, PC or mobile devices.

It's like half the people don't read the snippet in the OP.
Majority of us are outraged over the decision to remove PSP games altogether. I mean if they had removed our purchased games altogether, that would have been a pretty stupid move.

Agent X

That's an extremely poor decision, considering that downloadable PSP games are playable on other devices like PS Vita and PSTV.

I really hope this doesn't mean they're dropping them from Vita too. Once this is confirmed, I strongly urge anyone to try and get a PSP exploit on their Vita before they can't and hope they don't patch it.

hasnt the psn store been unavailable to western psn users on psp for a while now? isn't this just the same thing happening in Japan to what already happened here?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Shameful. What reason could they possibly have?

AniHawk

oh just because they're doing it this one time doesn't mean it'll happen for all of their future platforms. i mean, sure you can't even play ps3 games on ps4, but i bet ps4 games will at least work on ps5 and you'll be able to play them forever.

Top Bottom