• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Sony closing PSP storefront (but PSP games still available via PS3/Vita/PC webstore)

Danlord

Seems this is bad reporting from Kotaku, should have really gotten a human translation of the report from the other website. Slight wording differences makes a huge difference to the actual news to report.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Kotaku starting the day off with a nice warm cup of fuckery.

screenshot_2015-11-27xjsnw.png

Move along people, smh at Kotaku for creating this outrage.
Thanks for the clarification. This is what I wanted to hear.

I want to keep the BC there. That's what makes the Vita so attractive. I hope they do add new PSP games to the store in the future. Still waiting for Crisis Core to appear on the store someday.

Feichaw

Buy it through the PS3 or the browser store, then transfer it over to the PSP. It's just the store front on the PSP itself that's closing from what it sounds like.

If it's only the PSP store that is getting closed, I'm ok with this.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I knew the original title couldn't be real because new psp games are still coming out and I have one on preorder. Where would we get it digitally if they cant sell on psn?

That's what I thought. PSP storefront is closing. I mean why stop making money when you don't have to?

I want to say that the PSP storefront runs on a version of the store that is more similar to the first gen- store on PS3, but I am probably wrong.

Cleve

Okay guys I have my pitchfo...wait, what?

Well okay then, that makes sense.

There's some serious overreaction in this thread. Does anyone really think they'd just suddenly drop a small but consistent revenue stream for no reason?

I imagine they just don't want to push all the store updates to a platform that probably doesn't generate many sales anymore.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
This is straight up incorrect - they are just closing the PSP's own storefront, in Japan.

It was closed in Europe in September last year, and we can still download games via PC/PS3 and purchase them on the web store or Vita.

(Probably wanna chance the thread title before people freak out)

Make sense. I mean, we're still getting new psp game...

The title gave a scare. If it ended up being true, then I would have definitely cancelled my plans to eventually buy a Vita.

Thank goodness.

Read the text, it means UMD games will stop being produced and no NEW PSP digital games. Says nothing about removing from PSN.
Edit: Also includes PSP access to PSN.

Stuart444

God damn it Brian Ashcraft. I enjoy some of your silly Japanese/Japan articles but if you're going to report something that could be considered 'news'. Make sure you know that what you're reporting is accurate and worded correctly to avoid these knee-jerk reactions caused by your miswording/misreporting.

KJRS_1993

Seems this is bad reporting from Kotaku

Well that's a forking shock.
After this and the "we don't get free shit no more, this is SO anti consumer", they piss me off even more than they used to.
Absolute jokers.

And yeah, those front page knee jerk reactions are absolutely excellent. Can we at least wait a little while before spitting our dummies out next time?

Takao

Banned
I can see why publishers would blacklist an outlet that can't post factual information when given a press release.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Uh, bad title there guys.

PSP games are not being taken away in any context. If you open up a PSP and try to access the store via online, you will no longer be able to. That is all.

EXTREMELY horrible reporting by Kotaku. What the eff.

Seems this is bad reporting from Kotaku, should have really gotten a human translation of the report from the other website. Slight wording differences makes a huge difference to the actual news to report.

Yeah I'm surprised they haven't been banned or blacklisted alrea,,,
... oh wait.

Harmen

I can't say that I am outraged over this to be honest.

I do dislike this aspect of the digital future and think physical games are far more attractive for the consumer in current situation (if not on sale).. But I also think it is not ethically wrong or anything like that. They announce the sales of new PSP games, which is a platform nearly two generations ago in terms of timelapse, will stop soon and in the terms of agreement they state (right?) that the purchases will be available to you for at least 5 years. It is upon the consumer to decide if that is a good proposition or not.

As someone who likes to boot up some retro titles, I don't like this, mind you. I expect that the market eventually will think of ways to adress this to some extent (greater focus on compatability, streaming, options to trade games with other people etc.). We are still in the early phase of digital storefronts of gaming, especially on consoles.

I can't say that I am outraged over this to be honest.

I do dislike this aspect of the digital future and think physical games are far more attractive for the consumer in current situation (if not on sale).. But I also think it is not ethically wrong or anything like that. They announce the sales of new PSP games, which is a platform nearly two generations ago in terms of timelapse, will stop soon and in the terms of agreement they state (right?) that the purchases will be available to you for at least 5 years. It is upon the consumer to decide if that is a good proposition or not.

As someone who likes to boot up some retro titles, I don't like this, mind you. I expect that the market eventually will think of ways to adress this to some extent (greater focus on compatability, streaming, options to trade games with other people etc.). We are still in the early phase of digital storefronts of gaming, especially on consoles.
Uh, read the thread. :)

Top Bottom