• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Sony closing PSP storefront (but PSP games still available via PS3/Vita/PC webstore)

JoshHood

This is straight up incorrect - they are just closing the PSP's own storefront, in Japan.

It was closed in Europe in September last year, and we can still download games via PC/PS3 and purchase them on the web store or Vita.

(Probably wanna chance the thread title before people freak out)

Bittercup

edit: ok if it's just the store front this isn't too bad.
If they really stop selling games that would be a very baffling decision.

RedSwirl

Yeah I heard it was just the PSP PlayStation Store going down, and PSP games would still be available through PS3, Vita, and PC (and PS4? Are they?).

If Sony does this and removes PSP games from Store (PC, Vita), seriously Fuck em. I won't be supporting their shit anymore.

Previously purchased content will be still available and can be downloaded again or transferred via Vita, PS3, PC or mobile devices.

It's in the OP. Chill.

This is straight up incorrect - they are just closing the PSP's own storefront, in Japan.

It was closed in Europe in September last year, and we can still download games via PC/PS3 and purchase them on the web store or Vita.

Knee jerk reactions w/click baity title and people not reading OP; recipe for disaster.

Previously purchased content will be still available and can be downloaded again or transferred via Vita, PS3, PC or mobile devices.

It's like half the people don't read the snippet in the OP.

People are annoyed they won't be able to purchase new games, not the fear that old games will be locked away.
Have a read through the thread again. Ok?

I'm not going to freak out just yet. I'm thinking this Is kotaku misunderstanding Sony discontinuing buying PSP games from the device itself. In Japan. Not from the website or vita

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Guys, it sounds like you just can't buy digital games on the PSP itself. You can still download them via PS3, Vita, & PC & even transfer them to the PSP.

This has to be the case, it would insanity otherwise.

Thoraxes

We did.

Imagine all the future owners who will never experience this stuff and have no plans to purchase PSP games in the immediate future.

This is a relief.

Tizoc

@Zonic- Yeah I'm starting tot hink that's what this is all about.

But what about BUYING them, 6 months ain't enough to get all those interestin PSP games on JP PSN for one thing >_>;

I'm pretty sure the article is wrong.

Even the Google Translate of the original JP report makes it clear that it refers to purchasing games using a PSP, not purchasing PSP games.

Oh, so you can still get them through the Vita? No reason to panic then

Carl

Shocking.

It's in the OP. Chill.
The problem is not this one, come on. It is the ability to no longer purchase any of the other PSP games.

But I hope this isn't the case. Poorly worded article and title, likely.

The Trails games better be part of December sales. (Sorry, would love to buy asap but too pricey as they are.) If not, will just buy on Steam. And never finish them. *facepalm at self*

Omikaru

hasnt the psn store been unavailable to western psn users on psp for a while now? isn't this just the same thing happening in Japan to what already happened here?

That's what I thought this was, rather than them just ceasing sale of all PSP games across all platforms.

It's one thing to end support for a platform, such as PSP, and another to kill off legacy games that work on currently-sold platforms (Vita/PSTV) and could probably be emulated on PS4 in the future.

I doubt they are going to kill the entire PSP library when it still has value on future platforms.

This has to be one of the worst things I've seen with handling digital games.

WTF Sony?

I really hope it's a misunderstanding, otherwise they can fuck right off.

This actually sounds correct. To be fair, all the info we have right now is a Bashcraft (I mean Google) translation of a Japanese site.
Nothing from Sony.

Kind of surprised at these reactions. This was always going to happen. Besides, games can still be bought through other means. For now.

Agent X

If that's the case, then that's understandable. At least people playing on a PSP system could still purchase the games through other avenues (PC, PS3).

I was concerned that they would be entirely removing the games themselves, which would be monumentally stupid considering that some of these games are still very popular.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I'm guessing Kotaku translated this poorly. It probably means you can't purchase games via PSP itself. It doesn't make sense otherwise.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian

Wouldn't be the first time Brian Ashcraft misinterpreted something.

This better be some sort of miscommunication.

There are over 100 PSP games on PSN, Sony should look into emulating them (and Vita games) on PS4, not just throw everything away.

Feichaw

Keyword: "previously"

What if I want to buy and play a PSP game? I couldn't do this anymore, because they wouldn't be available to me. That's just wrong, considering that Vita can still play PSP games.

Unless they're planning to kill the Vita support soon. Worst case scenario, but not unexpected at this point...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm sure they just shut down the PSP storefront.
This is what it sounds like. Seems like the wording/translation was a bit off.

Granted, it makes me wonder the value of the PSP Go now, unless you want to bother with constantly transferring stuff to it via PS3 or PC.

hamchan

Oh so it's just Kotaku doing bad reporting?

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
It is ambiguous, but I think in the last line of the japanese source, it says that PSP compatible software may be downloaded using PC, PS3, Vita and mobile and transferred to the PSP. This may suggest only the PSP store is closing.

Okay, I clicked on the Japanese website's source and I am fairly sure that the title says that sales on the playstation store for PSP of PSP software is ceasing, so this is probably just the PSP store closing, which we already knew about.

624876.jpg

Sony to blacklist Kotaku for spreading FUD.

stryke

If that's the case, then Brian Ashcraft is a fuckwit.

NotLiquid

This is some really shitty wording from Kotaku. I don't blame anyone for thinking this means they were going to stop selling PSP games period.

LewieP

Inaccurate report from Kotaku. Why fact check when you can just publish an alarming story?

I wish Polygon would hurry up and hire Brian Ashcraft.

Demoskinos

Thanks for pointing that out. OP and title updated for accuracy.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
What if I want to buy and play a PSP game? I couldn't do this anymore, because they wouldn't be available to me. That's just wrong, considering that Vita can still play PSP games.
Buy it through the PS3 or the browser store, then transfer it over to the PSP. It's just the store front on the PSP itself that's closing from what it sounds like.

Top Bottom