• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Sony closing PSP storefront (but PSP games still available via PS3/Vita/PC webstore)

Shizuka

You expect Sony to stop selling PSP titles? Why would they do that when they have a legitimate library they can use to get money?

They have not stopped selling PS1 classics, and that's like 20 years old.

PS1 Classics, as they're being sold, are not 20 years sold.

Galdelico

Maybe I missunderstood you because you talked about purchasing some games before they go down. Sorry then
No, you're right, my bad on that. I was just being salty with myself since I've always found using the PS3/PC to buy PSP games to be a bit too clunky, so I got a new Slim & Lite 2004 a month or so ago, straight after I realized the US and Japanese stores were still up and running. Damn you impulse purchases. :D

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
PS1 Classics, as they're being sold, are not 20 years sold.

technically PSP digital titles aren't either, but i get your point :p

My thing is, i expect PSP games to be sold digitally as long as Vita and PSTV are in circulation, and even then, i expect PSP games to live on via hopefully PS4 emulation

Shizuka

My thing is, i expect PSP games to be sold digitally as long as Vita and PSTV are in circulation, and even then, i expect PSP games to live on via hopefully PS4 emulation

I think that with the webstore, nothing will actually be removed entirely, at least not in the next 10 or 20 years.

sörine

Banned

It'd be great if PS Classics on PS4 was grown to include PS1, PS2 and PSP. Maybe even Vita eventually too.

Inuhanyou

sörine;186966983 said:
It'd be great if PS Classics on PS4 was grown to include PS1, PS2 and PSP. Maybe even Vita eventually too.

Vita? Might be a bridge too far. At that point you might as well just remaster or port directly like Japan does

Cpk2nKb.jpg

Footos22

First couple of pages of this thread is hilarious.

Why would they stop selling them? When the vita plays them just fine.

Reactions without thinking the thread.

Seriously asking, how long does a product like PSP games have to remain on the store front for Neogaf users to not say "fuck the digital future, right guys?" when they're removed. 50 years? 100 years?

_Ryo_

Wait, didn't this already happen? I thought they already shut down PSN and the store on the actual PSP in 2013?

sörine

Banned
Vita? Might be a bridge too far. At that point you might as well just remaster or port directly like Japan does
Maybe not, Vita turned out to be surprisingly lower specced that initially guessed (CPU @ 333 MHz default, GPU @ 111 MHz default). I can see why remasters make sense in cases where the publisher wants to push the IP with a native release (Gravity Rush, Tearaway, Toukiden, etc) but it'd be a nice revenue option for those that don't.

Seriously asking, how long does a product like PSP games have to remain on the store front for Neogaf users to not say "fuck the digital future, right guys?" when they're removed. 50 years? 100 years?
Nintendo discontinued spares and repairs for the NES in 2007. 30 years after it went on sale. Lets say 30 years minimum because you know we're not dealing with physical goods here.

Ludens

Banned
Isn't this very strange? PSP digital titles are compatible with Vita, why Sony doesn't keep selling them?
EDIT: Saw the edit, nevermind.

Z3M0G

I assume it wasn't known that you could get them through PS3/Vita/PC at the time that the thread went up... because I'm honestly surprised you can still access the store on the PSP... and I'm fine with using those devices to load games to it going forward.

I guess most people here don't even care about using the actual PSP anymore...

Joey Ravn

Banned
I assume it wasn't known that you could get them through PS3/Vita/PC at the time that the thread went up... because I'm honestly surprised you can still access the store on the PSP... and I'm fine with using those devices to load games to it going forward.

I guess most people here don't even care about using the actual PSP anymore...

It was in the original press release. It was clear even using a quick Google translate to get it in English. Kotaku could have even gone the extra mile and contacted someone who spoke Japanese to confirm that what they were publishing was accurate, but, hey. Journalistic integrity is only important when someone blacklists you. Get the click first, you can always edit later.

Inuhanyou

sörine;186968129 said:
Maybe not, Vita turned out to be surprisingly lower specced that initially guessed (CPU @ 333 MHz default, GPU @ 111 MHz default). I can see why remasters make sense in cases where the publisher wants to push the IP with a native release (Gravity Rush, Tearaway, Toukiden, etc) but it'd be a nice revenue option for those that don't.

Your right, i just don't think its very likely. The requirements on PS1/PS2/PSP would likely be a lot lower ergo infinitely less hassle, and would probably make more business sense than Vita, since they aren't systems that are currently being sold in stores and being developed for(for the most part)

Maybe on PS5 when vita is dead...

BasilZero

Maybe....they'll release it on PS4 PSN :O?

But sucks that they are removing it...at least we can still buy the PSP games off the PS4/PS3/PSVita/PC PS store and transfer them.

Sakujou

Banned
i dont have a single psp game digital.

only closing the psp shop wont bother me as long as there are still other ways available to get psp games onto your psp.

sörine

Banned
Your right, i just don't think its very likely. The requirements on PS1/PS2/PSP would likely be a lot lower ergo infinitely less hassle, and would probably make more business sense than Vita, since they aren't systems that are currently being sold in stores and being developed for(for the most part)

Maybe on PS5 when vita is dead...
Fair enough, and it's taken awhile just to get PS2 so focusing on PS1/PSP next should definitely be the the priority. PSP especially, it's a goldmine of amazing and overlooked games.

At the same time I don't feel like Vita really has that much longer to wait for it's own funeral either. At least in the west.

dr_rus

I only use PC storefront of PSN anyway. It's the less unusable one out the four of them I have access to.

DR2K

Banned
are people srsly agitated that sony is closing a storefront on an 11 year old device

No that's not how it was worded. People thought they were removing content. They weren't.

PSPs are able to access any game via PC and CFW easily. PSP software is future proofed.

Shahed

sörine;186974105 said:
Fair enough, and it's taken awhile just to get PS2 so focusing on PS1/PSP next should definitely be the the priority. PSP especially, it's a goldmine of amazing and overlooked games.

At the same time I don't feel like Vita really has that much longer to wait for it's own funeral either. At least in the west.
As a Vita owner I'd love to be able to play the games on PS4. I want my PSP games playable as well as PS1/2. I'm quite looking forward to the shared library aspect of NX of it's true since I could play my Nintendo 'handheld' games on the Console SKU as well.

Obviously there'd be limitations of Vita games that require touch screen and the same for 3DS/NX Handheld. But otherwise they should be fair game

FranXico

Keep in mind that the last PSP hardware revision, the PSP Street, does not even have wifi (that's right, no store and no multiplayer - not even local). Sony killed the PSP a long time ago.

I guess I better toss my PSP go up on eBay then, as I don't have a PS3 to buy games for it via.

You can use your PC instead of a PS3. You download the games from your transaction history and use this utility to copy them over.

https://account.sonyentertainmentne...devices/playstation/psp/psn-downloader.action

edit: you might also be able to use Media Go, but I think they cut support for downloading directly from the store with it. I have not had a lot of luck with it, at least.

FranXico

I actually get way more annoyed that the PS4 has no USB connectivity with the PSVita whatsoever. I can't use the PS4 to download or backup Vita games like I can with the PS3. It doesn't even recognize it FFS.

Outrage over a storefront for a truly legacy device being shut down is a bit too much on the other hand.

Haven't used the storefront on PSP in years, anyway. Not for any dislike of it (It's less of a pain in the ass than using PS3's storefront, believe it or not) but because it can't connect to Wi-Fi through WPA2.

Guess I'll stick with the PC app for when I need to (re)download a PSP game or DLC.

sörine

Banned
As a Vita owner I'd love to be able to play the games on PS4. I want my PSP games playable as well as PS1/2. I'm quite looking forward to the shared library aspect of NX of it's true since I could play my Nintendo 'handheld' games on the Console SKU as well.

Obviously there'd be limitations of Vita games that require touch screen and the same for 3DS/NX Handheld. But otherwise they should be fair game
Totally agreed. I think shared libraries really are the future for these closed boxes. That's in part why iOS/Android are surging and PC has resurged, we're well past time to apply the same thinking to game consoles and handhelds. It's vital in the digital age.

edit: you might also be able to use Media Go, but I think they cut support for downloading directly from the store with it. I have not had a lot of luck with it, at least.

Looks like you totally can, you just have to login. Weird I never noticed it before considering how much I've messed with this app. They did recently put out an update but I doubt they suddenly added login, probably just me being dumb.

rSDFcZx.png

Top Bottom