• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony considering Gold, Silver & Platinum memberships for PS4's online services

IrishNinja

PS+ as it stands feels sort've like a form of rental, expanding on that - as others have said many times here - yeah that could be very interesting

The butthurt when/if online play is not free is going to be spectacular. It will be a Gaf meltdown of epic proportions.

i'm not reading that from this, but yeah if it went down that way, there'd be meltdowns, no doubt

Voice chat should definitely be free. It's a very simple feature that needs to be universal because otherwise it fractures the userbase.

It doesn't need to be free, but it needs to be in the same tier as online gaming. That way the base doesn't get fractured.

The most important thing MS did for online console gaming in 2005 was putting a headphone jack on the bottom of the controller and giving you a cheap headset. Now that Sony is finally copying them in 2013 they damned well can't be so stupid as to split the player base. It's finally their chance to start matching the Live experience.

Plus is already a no brainer because of the amount of 'free' content you get access to. There's no harm in putting multiplayer in that tier because everybody should have it anyway.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
If they do some sort of netflix like service, and even if they charged me something like 50+ bucks a month - but gave me unlimited access to all PS1, PS2, PS4 and Vita games.... I'd probably not only jump in, but buy a vita.

This would be a better way to fight pirating than going off of torrenters too I think, don't people who have netflix not pirate anymore/as much?

The butthurt when/if online play is not free is going to be spectacular. It will be a Gaf meltdown of epic proportions.

I'd be fine (sorta) as long as the subscription offered a lot that I could use even if I plan on mostly playing single player games.

Netflix but for games would be just that.

If they do some sort of netflix like service, and even if they charged me something like 50+ bucks a month - but gave me unlimited access to all PS1, PS2, PS4 and Vita games.... I'd probably not only jump in, but buy a vita.

Yup. Same here.

Well, people should be mad if Sony starts charging for basic online play. It's a joke Microsoft charges for it and a bigger joke people pay for it. Maybe MS will surprise me with Durango and offer free online play and use LIVE to give the party/cross chat stuff behind the paywall. That would be fine.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Consoles are becoming increasingly confusing/more complicated.
qhTkV23.gif

Luigison

I've been with Sony and Nintendo from the beginning, but if this happens I might be Nintendo and Steam for good. (Of course, I'll still keep the legacy PS2/3 systems.)

Why break up the Sony audience? Nintendo has white Wii U boxes everywhere, but often the up tiered black ones are sold out. Shouldn't that tell Nintendo AND Sony something? If Sony and Microsoft follow suit I'm afraid (read happy) Steam will win the living room.

This is what I'm expecting...

Tier 1 (Free): Multiplayer, Home w/ microtransactions, Share functionality limited to screenshots, time-limited demos, voice chat limited to in-game

Tier 2 ($50/year): everything in tier 1 + Home w/ discounted items, PSN discounts and early access to DD content, video posting via Share functionality, extended demo play, cross-game voice chat

Tier 3 ($75-$100/year): everything in tier 1 & 2 + full Share functionality (live streaming), instant game library (PS1, PS2), access to all Home items and tier 3 exclusive items, and...?

Internet streaming games will never be good with competitive online games, no matter how you cut it, because of the pings. Also with high level single player play that requires extreme accuracy. Basically, shit like Gaikai/Onlive etc are only good for casual runthroughs of the single player games at best.

We won't know how well it works, until it's out. Most developers seem excited about Gaikai implementation on the PS4, they must be doing something right. It obviously won't run as smooth for everyone no matter what though.

params7

Banned
We won't know how well it works, until it's out. Most developers seem excited about Gaikai implementation on the PS4, they must be doing something right. It obviously won't run as smooth for everyone no matter what though.

Even if we take the best case scenario, we're still talking about a whole another layer of latency since controller input will need to travel to Gaikai's servers, over the internet, on top of the usual Gaikai to game server lag for multiplayer games. There's nothing they can do about this. To put it bluntly, person A playing CoD from his ps3 will receive faster responses than person b playing the same game from Gaikai, given all else is equal.

It'll probably work for single player games very well, but people throw a fit even if they experience the slightest controller input lag without any internet involved in games like fighters and beat em ups of hard difficulties. Any WAN streaming solution only makes controller lag worse.

Top Bottom