• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony considering Gold, Silver & Platinum memberships for PS4's online services

I would guess paid PSN would work out as everything we have for free will remain free for all. (online play, media app access etc..)

PSN Gold = live streaming, instant demos, cloud saves and some more features they will announce.

PS+ will be a separate thing then PSN Gold but you will get both for a discounted bundle price as your PlayStation Platinum membership.

Keep MP free. Just interested in what services/features are offered for each tier. Not interested in Gaikai since I'm still keeping my ps3.

I'm fine with whatever tiers they have as long as the free (silver?) tier has online multiplayer.

I might not even use multiplayer often, but if I have to pay for it then I can live without a PS4.

Xbudz

Yeah, as long as I can play online for free Im cool.
do as you wish sony, but keep online multiplayer free please!
Keep MP free. Just interested in what services/features are offered for each tier. Not interested in Gaikai since I'm still keeping my ps3.

If PS4 mutiplayer has a free level, this is what will happen:

You'll have a bunch of people playing online unable to access some of the basic communication feautures such as video chat during game, possibly even party chat.
It will make it frustrating for people who do pay for those services.
You will have 2 tiers of online friends that are incompatible with eachother on some levels.

Sounds like a clusterduck.
I expect a paywall.

Zen

Banned
Netflix gaming is my dream too.

p1010013j.jpg

Mikor

No, the world really isn't ready.

Just like Nintendo and the Wii U,
Just like Sega and Sega Channel,

..Sony will learn some expensive lessons.

Once upon a time, people lamented Xbox Live's voice chat features and broadband requirement. "More than half the country lacks broadband!"

If for nothing else, we need companies with any kind of influence in any market to release products that will raise consumer's demand for more bandwidth from their ISPs. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to say that Xbox Live was the driving factor behind the proliferation of broadband in this country (it likely barely made a scratch), but the principle behind my example still stands.

Little sick at the moment so this might not be the most coherent post I've ever written.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Honestly, it sounds good, as long as the price is not ridiculous.

And if the straming/sharing thing is paid, I'll pay it gladly. I really like that function.

Izick

Listen, if Sony backs up 75% of the features they promised at their event, like the ability to swap control of a friend's game, then I'm in for sure.

I like the PS+ already and I think they should do this :
- keep online free
- keep PS+ and maybe make 3 packs you can choose : music unlimited, movies/TV Shows unlimited, games unlimited (even like the actual PS+ so not really unlimited except for BC... that would be so big!)

And that's it... but like some of the Gaffers here, I'm not sure the mass market is ready for that.
Not for games. And that's because it will cost a lot to the consumer or to Sony. Time is needed to find a good balanced model like Netflix managed to find.

At the end they should just let it like it is right now :p

Xbudz

Once upon a time, people lamented Xbox Live's voice chat features and broadband requirement. "More than half the country lacks broadband!"

If for nothing else, we need companies with any kind of influence in any market to release products that will raise consumer's demand for more bandwidth from their ISPs. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to say that Xbox Live was the driving factor behind the proliferation of broadband in this country (it likely barely made a scratch), but the principle behind my example still stands.

Little sick at the moment so this might not be the most coherent post I've ever written.

It's all good! I think it's important somebody is trying to push the technology forward.
I'm not certain these features from Sony will have an impact on the grand scale either-

Alas, more services from companies will help push faster speeds out over time, so long as the infrastructure is there. Lots of fiber needs to get burried.

KAL2006

Banned

You'll have a bunch of people playing online unable to access some of the basic communication feautures such as video chat during game, possibly even party chat.
You will have 2 tiers of online friends that are incompatible with eachother on some levels.

I expect a paywall.

Unless video chat, cross game chat are also free and part if the basic online component. After all cross game chat is free on Vita. I expect Share features and cloud saves to be things that Sony may charge for.

JudgeN

Listen, if Sony backs up 75% of the features they promised at their event, like the ability to swap control of a friend's game, then I'm in for sure.

If sony puts 75% of the features they promised behind a paywall, Sony would have pretty much lied about how "Simple" it will be.

OS features should be free period. Gaikai should be bundled with PS+ and thats it. Sony don't fuck this up with tiers, please.

Amazing idea but were not ready for that yet.

Also why are SCEA PSN+ subscribers complaining. You guys always get the consoles and usually games before us. Sony even sent you $10.

Sony is so tsundere to us Europeans thats its nice to have a treat once in a while from them.

Xbudz

Unless video chat, cross game chat are also free and part if the basic online component. After all cross game chat is free on Vita.

And what a well executed feature. :p
I have to be in single player/offline mode, start a party- invite friends all before going online.
If you're online and you hit the PS button, it drops you out.

I've had a Vita since day one, and would rather pay for a universal service that works without grief as opposed to some unsupported, hobbled together junk feature like the party chat they gave us...

Kyon

Banned
Keep online MP free like everyone else (except of course MS smh) and I don't curr what you do. I'm already buying a JP and US PS4. I have the money stored on the side

Unless video chat, cross game chat are also free and part if the basic online component. After all cross game chat is free on Vita.

Indeed.

“'We shall see, we shall see,' said Gandalf.”

I expect a paywall.

The rhetorical was "free online" those other features weren't there before and MP was free, so it looks like they're asking for more to be free. Sony wins the debate on free online MP I think.

I think incorporating netflix and other streaming services into a subscription is a very good idea. It's something I've always thought Microsoft were all but assured of doing with their next iteration of Xbox Live.

What I envisaged is that they would drop online game from their Gold subscription and replace it with year subscription to Netlfix, HBO GO or Hulu Plus as well as various other features and access to sales, etc.

It makes sense to incorporate those services into a subscription that's bought through the console rather than continue to have them as individual services that require you to subscribe separately.

Kyon

Banned
I think incorporating netflix and other streaming services into a subscription is a very good idea. It's something I've always thought Microsoft were all but assured of doing with their next iteration of Xbox Live.

What I envisaged is that they would drop online game from their Gold subscription and replace it with year subscription to Netlfix, HBO GO or Hulu Plus as well as various other features and access to sales, etc.

It makes sense to incorporate those services into a subscription that's bought through the console rather than continue to have them as individual services that require you to subscribe separately.

After the disgusting pay wall they put over online mp which should be free like every other gaming console on the planet and after the millions they got from people actually paying for it... MS won't stop charging for online MP and putting a pay wall behind Netflix and hulu lol

noobasuar

Banned
Lol at people thinking that online is free. Gaiki by itself isnt enough to convince people to pay for a yearly fee.

But having online cost $40 while also getting all the gaiki streaming stuff starts to look like a real value.

If online was free they would've been rubbing it in microsofts face during the conference.

This is pertaining to a "game subscription service" via Gaikai. I think people are mistaking this as pay for online gameplay, which I don't believe it is.

Xbudz

The rhetorical was "free online" those other features weren't there before and MP was free, so it looks like they're asking for more to be free. Sony wins the debate on free online MP I think.

I'd be very curious to see how Sony handles the "haves" and "have-nots" of their new services.
I think the difference between free vs not free users on PS4 might be a bit tricky.

There will be an pay wall to play online.

A bold prediction. Would Sony really give up their biggest bullet point in free online gaming against Microsoft?

After the disgusting pay wall they put over online mp which should be free like every other gaming console on the planet and after the millions they got from people actually paying for it... MS won't stop charging for online MP and putting a pay wall behind Netflix and hulu lol

Perhaps, but I remain hopeful that the next generation will bring some seismic changes to Live Gold.

Lol at people thinking that online is free. Gaiki by itself isnt enough to convince people to pay for a yearly fee.

But having online cost $40 while also getting all the gaiki streaming stuff starts to look like a real value.

If online was free they would've been rubbing it in microsofts face during the conference.

Then they better offer a lot with it. I barely use online since I tend to enjoy single player games a lot more. If they did end up throwing in Netflix gaming with the subscription fee then I'd be all for it.

A bold prediction. Would Sony really give up their biggest bullet point in free online gaming against Microsoft?

Perhaps, but I remain hopeful that the next generation will bring some seismic changes to Live Gold.

I feel they could easily afford to give up free online, if Microsoft does not allow for used games to be played on their system.

Xbudz

Would Sony really give up their biggest bullet point in free online gaming against Microsoft?

1: Nobody knows Microsoft's plans for the new Xbox Live.
2: Sony's got ALOT of new bullet-points.. and they invested heavily for them.
3: Somebody's gotta pay for Sony's decision to invest in Gaikai.

Into

What i would hope it looks like:

Silver: Basic, you pay nothing, you can still browse the store and play games free online (except MMO's obviously).

Gold: All of the above, but you get free games like with PSN+, discounts and you get to use Gaikai and whatever they offer, maybe BC as hinted with all PS1, PS2 and PS3 games

Platinum: All of the above and other services included like Netflix and whatever else they cram in there.

As long as they keep online gaming free, i do not think they can screw things up too badly.

Number45

netflix better be free at least. fucking bullshit if you have to pay a subscription to access another subscription.
Maybe they'll come to an arrangement and the higher subscription levels will cover Netflix costs amongst other things?

If that they don't charge to play online, then I think people should stop expecting the Share option to be free.
The Share button at its core is advertising for the platform, they want everyone to be able to use that functionality.

I feel they could easily afford to give up free online, if Microsoft does not allow for used games to be played on their system.

The danger is the IF. If they decide to implement a softer version of no used games by way of an activation fee, then Sony might not be able to justify their pay wall to online gaming.

Valid points, but I'd argue they don't have any bullet points as big as free online gaming.

That's just gross, a standard button behind a paywall.

Better than having to pay to play online. Sony is going to put big features behind the paywall in order to make people subscribe to these things. That Share function is one of those features. It's very desirable and something that many people would be willing to pay for. I think that would be part of the "Gold" setting and include the rest of the usual Plus support. Platinum would obviously be Gaikai.

If that they don't charge to play online, then I think people should stop expecting the Share option to be free.

No way. Putting a fucking Share button on the controller and then having it be a useless button unless you shell out money is just...

Yeah no. Fuck them if they do that.

Xbudz

Better than having to pay to play online. Sony is going to put big features behind the paywall in order to make people subscribe to these things. That Share function is one of those features. It's very desirable and something that many people would be willing to pay for. I think that would be part of the "Gold" setting and include the rest of the usual Plus support. Platinum would obviously be Gaikai.

I'd happily pay for PS4's online if it had uncompromised features and half its user base weren't a bunch of freeloaders who don't want to use added features.

Why would I pay for cross-game chat or video chat on PS4 if half the users don't wanna pay for it and can't even join-in with me on that extra fun stuff?

All or nothing has its advantages.

BadAss2961

It's not like Microsoft's going to stop charging.

PS+/Premium subscribers that will have access to Gaikai can pay for it.

Takuya

Banned

Share doesn't even use Sony network resources. This isn't Microsoft, who charges you full price for games but limits the content to offline only unless you pay them more.

topplehat

I don't think Sony has a lot of concrete plans for much of anything right now. It seems like they just wanted to get something out there before Microsoft announces Nextbox.

Ploid 3.0

Oh man, I would so get Platinum if it's like netflix gaming. I already held off of PS+ for so long, I may be ready to get it with PS4. If it's ready at launch I may get Platinum. PS+ not full Gaikai. I'm sure they will still let you download free stuff with PS+ PS4.

I don't think Sony has a lot of concrete plans for much of anything right now. It seems like they just wanted to get something out there before Microsoft announces Nextbox.

They bought Gaikai a long time ago, they have plans.

Makes total business sense. After all, even with Sony catching up to total worldwide shipments, they and their third party partners more than very likely haven't made anywhere near as much as X360 brings in for DD sales and subscriptions just because the customer and their willingness to spend on what they value is very different. And Sony needs that money desperately as they're clearly spending way more to provide this generation's online services. I find it strange to reconcile the constant rejection of paid multiplayer when Sony's big next-gen thing is a paid single and multiplayer streaming gaming service.

BadAss2961

I'd happily pay for PS4's online if it had uncompromised features and half its user base weren't a bunch of freeloaders who don't want to use added features.

Why would I pay for cross-game chat or video chat on PS4 if half the users don't wanna pay for it and can't even join-in with me on that extra fun stuff?

All or nothing has its advantages.
lol.

As for something like cross-game chat, that's why those kind of features should be available to everyone. While all the other perks like uploading videos, livestreaming games, cloud saves, access to betas, and discounts etc. could be premium.

Vamphuntr

Pretty sure the "Share button" and its functions will be free since it uploads videos to Facebook and other third party websites.

On the other hand, the Gaikai streaming of games will be behind a paywall for sure. If Sony tries to sell the hardware at a loss to make the hardware more attractive to buyers then they will probably lock many things behing a paywall to make their money back.

Share doesn't even use Sony network resources. This isn't Microsoft, who charges you full price for games but limits the content to offline only unless you pay them more.

My point is that Sony clearly wants to get in on the benefits of having some sort of paywall in place. Whether some like it or not, it's been a huge success for MS. And they did it by locking something that people wanted behind a paywall. Right now Sony's answer to that is to give free games. But that's a pretty big move and it can't be cheap for them. That's why I think that they're going to add more to it. They'll make it more desirable and the Share feature would be one of those. Maybe they won't completely block it off. They might let you share photos and a 1 minute video (instead 15m), but I absolutely expect some part of that to be locked behind a paywall.

Top Bottom