• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony considering Gold, Silver & Platinum memberships for PS4's online services

Some sort of combo of Netflix + Plus + maybe Gaikai if the Vita streaming isn't shit would be appealing. I can't imagine they'd allow Spotify on PS4 since they want Music Unlimited to sell, but that could also be nice to have.

SykoTech

As long as what's on the PS3 now (online gaming, complete store access, media apps) is included with the free version, I'm ok with this.

Yep.

They can put the fancy stuff behind a paywall, but what's free on the PS3 better still be on the PS4.

I think that people who think that the most essential feature - online play - will be free are in for a surprise

Gold/Platinum wouldn't make sense otherwise

They already have Silver and Gold now essentially with PS+. By adding more features they would create the Platinum tier.

As long as what's on the PS3 now (online gaming, complete store access, media apps) is included with the free version, I'm ok with this.

Yup. There may be other services that are worth paying for and that's fine but don't mess with what we have now.

zroid

Banned
I think that people who think that the most essential feature - online play - will be free are in for a surprise

Gold/Platinum wouldn't make sense otherwise

I don't think it would be prudent for them to lock existing free services behind a paywall in next gen. But I'm more convinced than ever that nearly every new service available for PS4, except for, say, uploading videos to YouTube, will require some form of subscription fee.

I'm disappointed to say the least, as I'm happily a non-subscriber to anything and don't really intend to change that any time soon.

Midou

They'd be smart to make PSN+ an even better value instead of charging even higher fees. :I

Theoretically, from a gamer perspective, sure. Yet the costs of maintaining the infrastructure for gaikai and having enough hardware running to give access to all those instant-access games are much too high to simply incorporate into a typical PS+ subscription. It seems unrealistic when looking at it financially.

RS4-

I'm ok if it means more free games.

If not, I just want cross game chat/video and online play to be in the free tier

Hindle

Banned
If they make cross gaming chat free and throw in a headset with each console, that would be awesome. If they charge then I'll just stick to paying for Live.

Hasney

As long as they don't lock away online play or video recording/uploading I'll be happy.

I dunno man. Someone has to pay for those servers. I'm pretty convinced that it will need to be behind a paywall or have as many ads as the XBox dashboard to be sustainable. The days of Ken "This feature is awesome so screw the cost" Kutaragi are done, unfortunately.

Takuya

Banned
Taking it out of context, he says that he wants one subscription to provide all, and not have to go with a multiple subscription model.

What ever top tier is ill buy it.

Super happy with PS+

Locking MP behind a pay wall is no concern personally either. I pay XBL Gold anyway

Number45

I dunno man. Someone has to pay for those servers. I'm pretty convinced that it will need to be behind a paywall or have as many ads as the XBox dashboard to be sustainable. The days of Ken "This feature is awesome so screw the cost" Kutaragi are done, unfortunately.
Won't "those servers" just be Ustream/YouTube? If it drives increased traffic to their sites, increased ad revenue means it should pay for itself.

gcubed

Google pays for those servers, not sure why Sony would charge for it

I think one of MS's biggest mistakes next gen will be to keep media apps behind the live paywall. It made sense before SmartTV, roku, and the numerous other media streaming devices hit the market, but it doesn't make sense now. I honestly believe that placing *media apps behind a paywall is going to devalue any product that does so going forward.

*I am only referring to apps for subscription and free services such as Netflix, YouTube, etc.

shandy706

What ever top tier is ill buy it.

Super happy with PS+

Locking MP behind a pay wall is no concern personally either. I pay XBL Gold anyway

Yeah I'm with this guy. Same with Live and whatever top tier Sony brings.

People call it a "pay wall", I call it a pay "pebble/crumb".

I don't expect them to deliver all this insanity in one package for free.

.GqueB.

Banned
I'm cool with that as long as playing online remains free. Based on playstation plus, they've been pretty good about having their service seem worth the extra dough.

The lack of a "Gold" type of subscription is one of the main reasons I am considering moving from the Xbox as my main console to the Playstation in the next gen. It's terrible to hold basic services ransom for a premeum.

I hope that if Sony does this, they leave it the way it is with PS+ as "gold" and include their Gaikai as "platnum" or something to that effect. Just as long as they don't take away basic stuff like browsing, Netflix, youtube and online multiplayer.

A Netflix like service for PS1, PS2 and PS3 games sounds super exciting.

Someone didn't read the full article. He was talking about the Gakai stuff, not online services as a whole.
On that subject, I really expected you to announce a "Spotify for games"-type service, allowing gamers to sign up and pay a monthly fee to access as many titles as they like. Is that something we can look forward to?
As more and more services and contents become available digitally, we'll have more of an option to create attractive packages. So hypothetically we can look at different models – like a cable TV company. We could have gold, silver or platinum levels of membership, something like that. We can do subscription services when we have more content – especially now that we have the Gaikai technology available. With one subscription you have access to thousands of games – that's our dream.

Boss Man

Netflix gaming, yes please.

Just don't put anything that's free now behind a paywall, especially playing games online.

Have to repeat what everyone says here so Sony know what's up...

MP and chats for free and do whatever you have to with the rest

What servers? Facebook? Ustream? That's always been the problem with paying for multiplayer on Live they aren't really doing much of anything.

I'm not talking about them streaming games to you over Gaikai. That would be an actual service they're providing. Recording/uploading your own videos is paid for when you buy the hardware as far as I'm concerned.

smr00

Banned
oh gawd, netflix gaming could change everything

do it sony
Yes, COULD.

It could if the majority of it's user base had 50+mbs connections with unlimited bandwidth which the majority don't. Like i said in the other thread this whole "streaming" games idea on paper is great but until those kinds of speeds and unlimited bandwidth become the norm this will never be as big as they want it to be. There is a reason places like Redbox still exist and still rent out movies like crazy, because people don't have the bandwidth to stream 1080p movies whenever they want, same goes for people still buying dvds/blu-rays. This isn't the PC market, the console market is as big as it is because of of ease of use and lack of high end bandwidth, people want to buy a game and stick it in and play and not have to download a 20-40gb game.

JoduanER2

Im with them, if they want to offer this types of services then do it, i hope Sony makes a good profit with PS4, they deserved it.

Hasney

Won't "those servers" just be Ustream/YouTube? If it drives increased traffic to their sites, increased ad revenue means it should pay for itself.

Google pays for those servers, not sure why Sony would charge for it

Oh, have I missed something? I was assuming that the social features including sharing would all be rolled up into Sony's own offering the way they were showing it at the conference, but if they've said they'll just leverage YouTube, then fantastic.

Im with them, if they want to offer this types of services then do it, i hope Sony makes a good profit with PS4, they deserved it.

Agreed. I really like to think that Sony took a look at the stuff they screwed up on this last generation with an intent to fix it. I <3 you Sony!

If multiplayer stays as a free for all deal, I am all for some premium packages on the ps4

I never watch movies on my consoles but if there was something like PS+ and included the game streaming services I would pay for it, long as it was reasonable.

iceatcs

Yes, COULD.

It could if the majority of it's user base had 50+mbs connections with unlimited bandwidth which the majority don't. Like i said in the other thread this whole "streaming" games idea on paper is great but until those kinds of speeds and unlimited bandwidth become the norm this will never be as big as they want it to be. There is a reason places like Redbox still exist and still rent out movies like crazy, because people don't have the bandwidth to stream 1080p movies whenever they want, same goes for people still buying dvds/blu-rays. This isn't the PC market, the console market is as big as it is because of of ease of use and lack of high end bandwidth, people want to buy a game and stick it in and play and not have to download a 20-40gb game.

But there is no need to remove this feature because not everyone have speed or bandwidth.
It is the future, like it or not. The speed and bandwidth don't stay same forever, it will improve eventually.

Sony gonna make you paaaaaay!

I honestly believe they will pay wall many features like MS. It makes too much sense. They'd be dumb not too.

Oppo

Yes, COULD.

Well, as Yoshida said &#8211; with regard to streaming games, they need to start somewhere.

And the console still has a disc drive.

genjiZERO

As long as I get basic online and Netflix. I can't imagine myself using more than that so I don't care what they do (I wouldn't even use GaiKai).

Number45

Oh, have I missed something? I was assuming that the social features including sharing would all be rolled up into Sony's own offering the way they were showing it at the conference, but if they've said they'll just leverage YouTube, then fantastic.
Yeah, we've seen Ustream mentioned officially as well as Facebook. I can't recall if YT specifically has been name dropped - but the thing all of those services have in common is that they want that content up on their site, because it pulls more users in.

Midou

But there is no need to remove this feature because not everyone have speed or bandwidth.
It is the future, like it or not. The speed and bandwidth don't stay same forever, it will improve eventually.

Exactly. Services like this are more likely to cause change in the future and push ISPs into evolving their infrastructure. Typically every year, speeds increase, caps increase, and they will continue to do so as services like google fiber will eventually expand. Competition will force ISPs to match it or become irrelevant.

calder

I love PS+ and assume it'll be expanded and improved for PS4, but I'm not crazy about multiple tiers. Keep it a simple yes/no thing and add Gaikai and whatever new stuff they can think of (like being able to stream from your console directly to Twitch or something) and that would be fine, but having 3 or more options just strikes me as needlessly complicated.

I said this in another thread:

PSN Bronze - what the current PSN is. Free multiplayer, access to the store, demos, apps, netflix, etc. I believe cross game chat and party chat will be free as well. I also think share/upload your games will be free.
PSN Silver - what the current PS+ is. Bronze + IGC, major discounts on games, 1GB cloud storage for vita, ps3, ps4 each, automatic downloads, etc. $50/year
PSN Gold - Silver+ play as you install, see what others are playing, help others with their games, cloud saving (directly saving on the cloud and locally as opposed to having to do it manually as is now), bigger cloud storage, maybe 5GBs each, and all other stuff they talked about on the 20th. $70/year
PSN Platinum - Gold + gaikai netflix like service streaming of games. $100-$200+/year depending on selection of games

Hasney

Yeah, we've seen Ustream mentioned officially as well as Facebook. I can't recall if YT specifically has been name dropped - but the thing all of those services have in common is that they want that content up on their site, because it pulls more users in.

That's pretty good then. I can see how it would be mutually beneficial for both Sony and the content sites, but I also know that all the console manufacturers do enjoy controlling content end to end. Glad to see Sony's being smarter than that here.

JudgeN

Tiers goes against what they said at the PS4 reveal of they want the PS4 to be "simple, elegant, etc". Tiers for PS+ is going to do nothing but confuse the shit out of the customer, its a terrible idea. Ustream and facebook are free so why put them behind a pay wall?

Here is how it should go:

Everything the OS can do = free

Gaikai for PS3 BC = PS+

That's it, nice and simple right Sony?

Noirulus

How incredible would it be if we got most/all PS1/PS2/PS3 titles for streaming through a Netflix style subscription? I can't even comprehend the logistics behind it (such as Sony paying devs/publishers royalties and whatnot) but it would be sensational if they're able to pull it off.

I'd easily pay $10 or $15 a month for such a feature.

Noirulus

By the way, does anyone know how taxing it is for the provider to stream games out to a consumer? How much does it cost them?

Top Bottom