• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony considering Gold, Silver & Platinum memberships for PS4's online services

I'm ready for the future, but is the future ready for me?
Internet speeds are still slow in many areas.

And don't forget the added 50-250 (best scenario-worst scenario) of input lag that you can't mock in screenshot or gif form :p

Only use I can see for gaikai is as an instant demo service (and only as an added alternative to still downloading a seperate demo).
Online streaming is worthless for games.
It's a fundamentally flawed technology that not in a million years will stop being garbage unless they figure out how to send data faster than the speed of light OR put a dedicated gaikai server center within 100 km of every user on the planet.

I'd like netflix gaming (I assume that is the platinum service you are alluding to?) in download form, but I don't see why publishers would want that? Games are really expensive, unless they ask like 100+ bucks a month for it they'd make less money than they would just selling games.

sono

I am not ok with this. In fact I am really not ok with this.

Joining PS+ took me years and only since I got a Vita did it make sense to me (launch PS3 owner) to get my Vita Uncharted and Gravity rush at £29.99 the pair. Nothing else justified it for me.

i.e one service offering is enough confusion/ barrier, never mind three.

No idea what people are talking about in regard to "Netflix Gaming",( but can I please smoke the same ?)

If you make me pay for any online multiplayer gaming I may go PC for multiplayer.

The idea of making me pay for online gaming to connect to someone elses game console in peer to peer sends shivers down my spine.

Sony keeps talking about its dream.

I need specifics. The further we get from last week, the less I feel I know about the PS4 and the services it offers.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Let me reiterate what the gamers want since Sony appears to be listening to gamers/devs nowadays:

KEEP ONLINE MULTIPLAYER FREE.

The rest is icing.

RPGCrazied

Long as I can access the store and download demos on the free membership, I'm good. I'm not going to pay monthly for the next tier just to do said things.

gcubed

I am not ok with this. In fact I am really not ok with this.

Joining PS+ took me years and only since I got a Vita did it make sense to me (launch PS3 owner) to get my Vita Uncharted and Gravity rush at £29.99 the pair. Nothing else justified it for me.

i.e one service offering is enough confusion/ barrier, never mind three.

No idea what people are talking about in regard to "Netflix Gaming",( but can I please smoke the same ?)

If you make me pay for any online multiplayer gaming I may go PC for multiplayer.

The idea of making me pay for online gaming to connect to someone elses game console in peer to peer sends shivers down my spine.

did you read the OP?

They specifically mentioned a tier to access their available titles, which is where "netflix gaming" came from

Kurtofan

Man is it me or is Sony kind of obsessed with Platinum?

Platinum games, Platinum trophies, platinum memberships...

Platinum feels like "super duper precious".

Mael

And just like that Sony manage to kill all interest in their online services...
If I didn't pay MSFT to play online I won't pay Sony for their services either.

TheGamer

Platinum: 1st party games 'free,' everything else, £80 per year, unlimited friend list
Gold: PS+, added share and social features, £40 per year, extended friend list
Silver: Normal, free, cross game chat and multiplayer

Honestly this seemed like the most logical approach. I think:

Silver: Basic online gaming, Netflix, etc

Gold: PS+ with some light Gaikai features (i.e game streaming)

Platinum: Eventual full access to Gaikai features, PS1-PS3 library access

Though maybe they will push online play into gold and keep silver for other online features, still keeping stuff like Netflix, but I hope they don't.

Are you guys interviewing for a position at Sony? Because I love those Platinum options and would jump on those in a heart beat.

DaBoss

I hope it's reasonable. Though I trust Sony to give a good service. I don't like the idea of a pay wall for stuff like online and media services, but for some of the other stuff they could potentially offer, it could be revolutionary.

Zoe

This is REALLY old and also they take the statement out of context.

What Yoshida is saying is that they could have a tiered subscription model like that, but their dream is that one subscription offers everything instead of going with the multiple subscription model.

That is not how I read it at all:

"With one subscription [out of the three offered] you have access to thousands of games – that's our dream."

The dream is referring to offering thousands of games, not just having a subscription service.

KAL2006

Banned
Free:
Online Gaming
Cross Game Chat
Watch shared content (Livestreams and shared videos)
Remote Play
Mobile App for messaging and shopping on phone
Access to catchup services and Netflix
Upload Screenshots

Gold:
All of the above of course
Upload Videos
Livestream your game
Cloud Saves
Acess to exclusive content such as Beta's

Platinum:
Instant Game Collection
Discounts

SoulClap

As long as they keep online play free and don't do some dumb shit like locking subscription based services (Netflix) behind a pay wall I'm OK with this.

SaintR

I think this exactly what Microsoft is going to announce (obvious speculation) when they announce their box. It makes sense that with always online rumor. I'm talking about the Netflix-like infrastructure for gaming. I think they do it earlier with higher pricing cause well they are MS

Sorc3r3r

As long as online gaming remains free, tier ahead, Sony. Tier ahead.

I'm a ps+ subscriber so i'm already paying...BUT I agree the basic online gaming must remain free.

From a commercial standpoint make sense too, engage the free users then advertise them your premium services, instead of locking them outside the whole online sphere keeping them clueless on the benefits of a subscription.

params7

Banned
I bet you're gonna love the feature when it's actually available and you have the opportunity to experience it.

Internet streaming games will never be good with competitive online games, no matter how you cut it, because of the pings. Also with high level single player play that requires extreme accuracy. Basically, shit like Gaikai/Onlive etc are only good for casual runthroughs of the single player games at best.

Noirulus

I think this exactly what Microsoft is going to announce (obvious speculation) when they announce their box. It makes sense that with always online rumor. I'm talking about the Netflix-like infrastructure for gaming. I think they do it earlier with higher pricing cause well they are MS

They could have partnered with OnLive, maybe? Although we would've heard something about that by now if it happened I guess.

MS pretty much needs to have a similar online feature set if they want to flourish in the next gen digital space.

Trogdor1123

This sounds like it could be really good, they just need to keep online gaming free for everyone. Maybe make it so that if you want to post a longer video with share or maybe more videos with share that it costs something, storage isnt free after all.

Trogdor1123

Free:
Online Gaming
Cross Game Chat
Remote Play
Upload Screenshots

Gold:
Upload Videos
Livestream your game
Cloud Saves

Platinum:
Instant Game Collection
Discounts

Id think live stream would be platinum but thats not too bad imo depending on prices.

Free:
Online Gaming
Cross Game Chat
Remote Play
Upload Screenshots

Gold:
Upload Videos
Livestream your game
Cloud Saves

Platinum:
Instant Game Collection
Discounts

Logical assumption

B.O.O.M

Yep that's exactly what I speculated a while back too. As long as they keep the base online play free I'm good. Will be getting PS+ anyways

Amir0x

Banned
as long as online gaming is basic and free across all accounts, that's really all that matters in the end

Although I would like the basic Share feature to be at a pretty low level of entry, so that it gets a lot of use.

Xbudz

And don't forget the added 50-250 (best scenario-worst scenario) of input lag that you can't mock in screenshot or gif form :p

Only use I can see for gaikai is as an instant demo service (and only as an added alternative to still downloading a seperate demo).
Online streaming is worthless for games.
It's a fundamentally flawed technology that not in a million years will stop being garbage unless they figure out how to send data faster than the speed of light OR put a dedicated gaikai server center within 100 km of every user on the planet.

I can certainly try to mock it in animated gif form.
...But this will have to do for now.
9qAhIUm.jpg

I just don't see Gaikai working as well as their "long term version" would have you believe.. at least not anytime soon.

dzelly

Just keep online play free, don't care about all the rest.

This. I subscribe to PS+ and love the deals, but it's my choice. I'm not paying to unlock the internet on my gaming system like with the Xbox (I have both and they both serve their purposes) but the XBLG bothers the hell out of me.

lmpaler

Platinum: 1st party games 'free,' everything else, £80 per year, unlimited friend list
Gold: PS+, added share and social features, £40 per year, extended friend list
Silver: Normal, free, cross game chat and multiplayer

You're insane if you think they'll give you exclusives for free

Top Bottom