• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony E3 Conference confirmed for usual time (Monday 6pm PT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKHF

Has the duration of the conference being confirmed anywhere? Do we assume it's just one hour only?
I don't think it's been confirmed anywhere (or is ever confirmed before the conference), last year was about 75 mins IIRC so probably expect a similar length.
hopefully if we see new footage of FF7 RE and Tifa is in it - they take this design

its perfect
I agree, hope it's like that.

Dr. A

I don't think it's been confirmed anywhere (or is ever confirmed before the conference), last year was about 75 mins IIRC so probably expect a similar length.

Yeah that's my line of thinking as well. Wish it was longer though, like 2 hours ☺

bombshell

Uh, did they really just announce it a few minutes after I asked? Do I have [really lame] super powers?

You should ask for an improbable game reveal just before the conference starts, like Half-Life 3 or Agent to test out your newly aquired power to ask things into existence!

I just found out about the game Matterfall in another thread (I don't know how I missed it).
What is this game? The only thing we got for it is a CGI trailer since 2015.

vivekTO

I just found out about the game Matterfall in another thread (I don't know how I missed it).

We don't know much about that at all Except the Reveal trailer and that it is Metroid type of game.

FelipeMGM

We don't know much about that at all Except the Reveal trailer and that it is Metroid type of game.

Not exactly Metroid type of game I think, its been described as a mix of platforming and bullet hell. Here is some more info on the game:

-The game is a fast paced, retro inspired action game set in a massively vertical futuristic city that is being overrun by ”Smart Matter" (the red thing we see on the trailer).

-Use extreme agility and high powered weapons to blast enemies and make-or break
the world itself. You can manipulate the ”Smart Matter" to turn the environment to your advantage (this sounds like the big catch of the game)

-Master extreme aerial agility, sliding, leaping, and blasting to take down hordes of enemies. (you can get the sense of this in the trailer too)

-Experiment with augmented weapons as you explore landmark locations known as the Domed City, Alien Ruins and The Space Elevator.

-The game has local co-op and competitive gameplay modes, comparing kills, scores and statistics against other players. (competitive might be just leaderboard stuff? Not sure)

vivekTO

Not exactly Metroid type of game I think, its been described as a mix of platforming and bullet hell. Here is some more info on the game:

-The game is a fast paced, retro inspired action game set in a massively vertical futuristic city that is being overrun by “Smart Matter” (the red thing we see on the trailer).

-Use extreme agility and high powered weapons to blast enemies and make-or break
the world itself. You can manipulate the “Smart Matter” to turn the environment to your advantage (this sounds like the big catch of the game)

-Master extreme aerial agility, sliding, leaping, and blasting to take down hordes of enemies. (you can get the sense of this in the trailer too)

-Experiment with augmented weapons as you explore landmark locations known as the Domed City, Alien Ruins and The Space Elevator.

-The game has local co-op and competitive gameplay modes, comparing kills, scores and statistics against other players. (competitive might be just leaderboard stuff? Not sure)

Thanks for the Info. Is it confirmed that the game is Top down or side-scroll??

I think Sony should reconsider the decision to not allow PS One classics on PS4 and announce its support at this E3.

They never gave any pretext for why it is not supported on PS4.
Is it because of TV resolutions?
Well PS One Classics work on PSP, PS Vita and PS3 and the same persons who got PS3s got same TVs that work on same PS4s.
I don't really see any convincible reason not to do it.

I think Sony should reconsider the decision to not allow PS One classics on PS4 and announce its support at this E3.

They never gave any pretext for why it is not supported on PS4.
Is it because of TV resolutions?
Well PS One Classics work on PSP, PS Vita and PS3 and the same persons who got PS3s got same TVs that work on same PS4s.
I don't really see any convincible reason not to do it.

There was a rumor some time ago that Sony had been, at some point, been working on an enhanced, "HD" PS1 emulator for the PS4. Seeing what kind of stuff can be done nowadays, with high resolution rendering (and even supersampling), texture filtering, higher precision geometry transforms that get rid of weird texture warping and wobbly geometry, etc, it would make the games look much better, but it's probably quite an endeavour.

Dr. A

There was a rumor some time ago that Sony had been, at some point, been working on an enhanced, "HD" PS1 emulator for the PS4. Seeing what kind of stuff can be done nowadays, with high resolution rendering (and even supersampling), texture filtering, higher precision geometry transforms that get rid of weird texture warping and wobbly geometry, etc, it would make the games look much better, but it's probably quite an endeavour.

And also with trophy support via clever engineering.

Housemarque have confirmed that it's a side-scroller. It's one of the few things they've officially confirmed about the game. From the start people thought it'd be Mega Man-esque. Or at least hoped it would be. A game like that from Housemarque may be enough to get Capcom's attention again.

And also with trophy support via clever engineering.

They need to get rid of the dumb trophy requirement on PS2 games. We need more PS2 titles.

Sony is sitting on a gold mine of a library, rivaled maybe only by Nintendo (and even then, I'd give the advantage to Sony by a clear, huge margin).

And what do they do it with it? Half assed programs.

Old news by now but the teaser says brace yourself.

https://youtu.be/cFNNlrAPaDU

Some people think it will consist mostly of already announced games, because there are plenty that still haven't released but I'm sure there will at least be one game that you don't expect. We've come to expect that from them by now. Don't we?

Some people think it will consist mostly of already announced games, because there are plenty that still haven't released but I'm sure there will at least be one game that you don't expect. We've come to expect that from them by now. Don't we?
At the very least, Sucker Punch will announce a new IP. I wouldn't be surprised by at least one third party collaboration either.

RedHill

Banned

If Red Dead ends up on Sony's stage they would not be showcasing it beforehand in a teaser. This is fan made

FelipeMGM

yeah, thats fan made

Almost guaranteed side-scroll, you can even see it on the trailer https://youtu.be/ihgHkAnOPjo?t=1m4s

nightever

Since psp3 rumour thread is locked, I continue the discussion in this one.

I see people saying another handheld is bad decision for Sony because they cannot support another platform. However, do people consider the possibility that Sony make a mobile PS4?

Actually, rumors say a new PS4 (tablet or handheld) will be announced at E3, and it will run native PS4 games. What do people think?

I see people saying another handheld is bad decision for Sony because they cannot support another platform. However, do people consider the possibility that Sony make a mobile PS4?

Actually, rumors say a new PS4 (tablet or handheld) will be announced at E3, and it will run native PS4 games. What do people think?

It's a waste of resources and time.

StoopKid

If they could theoretically get a handheld that played PS4 games around switch price it sounds amazing but that'll never happen.

nightever

This is gaf , if it ain't got a Nintendo logo on it and handheld people are gonna shit on it.

If they could theoretically get a handheld that played PS4 games around switch price it sounds amazing but that'll never happen.

Steam handhelds (x86 architecture) exist.

PS4 Portable is the only logical reality of a Sony that agrees to make another portable.

No need for dedicated resources shifted away from their core studios and publishing, and a out-the-gate it'll have the library of a core console. There's even the possibility that a portable console could be the preferred platform for PSVR if it's designed to accommodate a GearVR/Daydream style attachment.

The big problem is really only the medium. Switch has done the smart thing where they solve the physical media issue by making it carts for Switch, but there is no feasible way that disc would work for a PS4 Portable unless it's a digital-only platform.

And digital-only consoles is still a pain point since that means physical libraries don't transfer over, etc etc.

nightever

PS4 Portable is the only logical reality of a Sony that agrees to make another portable.

No need for dedicated resources shifted away from their core studios and publishing, and a out-the-gate it'll have the library of a core console. There's even the possibility that a portable console could be the preferred platform for PSVR if it's designed to accommodate a GearVR/Daydream style attachment.

The big problem is really only the medium. Switch has done the smart thing where they solve the physical media issue by making it carts for Switch, but there is no feasible way that disc would work for a PS4 Portable unless it's a digital-only platform.

And digital-only consoles is still a pain point since that means physical libraries don't transfer over, etc etc.

Consider we now know digital sale is around 40% of total sale, it's actually a good time to release a digital-only platform. Especially it can crossplay your PS4 digital library.

AudioEppa

It's a waste of resources and time.

This and my post on the subject after thread got closed.

On a PSP3

I mean obviously Sony knows better about their business vision then I do. But let's say there is a PSP3.

Why?

Seriously is there something mentally wrong with just focusing on bettering PS4's lifespan and what comes after it?

Like goddamn get over it already. Nobody has be a fortuneteller to know how this will play out if true. IOS, Android and Nintendo got handheld gaming on lock.

Idk man. This is just something that always frustrates me about Sony. They get so giddy about launching new stuff, yet they're so wrapped up with how cool it is they forget quickly that the name PlayStation doesn't equal a guaranteed success. How many times do people have to say that what you been cooking is only half done.

Planet

With the current state of the art in electronics, you can make a PS4 APU using about 80 watts. For a mobile device this needs to be below 10.

Simple math says: no.

Regardless of whether it's possibly or not, I just frankly don't see the point. I can't think of any awesome PS4 games that would be a good fit for 'on the go'.

Laplasakos

Consider we now know digital sale is around 40% of total sale, it's actually a good time to release a digital-only platform. Especially it can crossplay your PS4 digital library.

If it's digital only it will be dead on arrival. Only logical choice is mini BD.

The God

Sony should not be trying to chase the Switch at all.

Maybe they'll show a PS4 Pro Pro, as answer to scorpio

This would be just as bad of an idea too

Not Drake

Regardless of whether it's possibly or not, I just frankly don't see the point. I can't think of any awesome PS4 games that would be a good fit for 'on the go'.

I don't know. Games like DriveClub would be ace on a handheld. Lots of people were asking for full-on portable Souls game too. To be fair, a Switch-like PS4 with seamless transition between on-the-go/on-TV would be fantastic for me. I like remote play, but let's be honest. It relies on a internet connection and is subpar in a lot of games due to Vita's control scheme. Note that I was a part of "this would be perfect on the Vita" crowd and the "this would be perfect on Switch" crowd has my full support despite starting to be a little annoying with port-begging.

So here's the dream:

Andrew House on stage. Mid presentation.

"And now we have something from one of our favourite partners."

Lights dim. Orchestra starts up.

On the screen a mass of blood and fur. A thud. The sound of flesh tearing.

Hard cut to developer name.

From Software.

Cut to a face, ragged beard, dead in the eyes. Blood slowly trickles from its lips. Camera slowly draws out. The man is wearing a tattered, bloodstained jumpsuit. In his stomach, a chainsaw. It revs up and his body is split in two. It's owner swipes it downwards to get the worst of the blood from the blades. Shot of the character from the front, behind him is a crowd of men and beasts. He puts both hands on the chainsaw. A subtle movement. The weapon transforms, a telescopic pole extending the reach of the weapon. He turns to the crowd and begin his assault.

Cut to title.

Spaceborne.

Lights come on.

Miyazaki on stage.

He says a bunch of words in Japanese.

The translator, caught aback says "Did he really say that."

Miyazaki looks at the translator expectantly.

Translator clears throat.

"er... He... He said... "

"He said "Fuck The Surge." "

B.O.O.M

So here's the dream:

Andrew House on stage. Mid presentation.

"And now we have something from one of our favourite partners."

Lights dim. Orchestra starts up.

On the screen a mass of blood and fur. A thud. The sound of flesh tearing.

Hard cut to developer name.

From Software.

Cut to a face, ragged beard, dead in the eyes. Blood slowly trickles from its lips. Camera slowly draws out. The man is wearing a tattered, bloodstained jumpsuit. In his stomach, a chainsaw. It revs up and his body is split in two. It's owner swipes it downwards to get the worst of the blood from the blades. Shot of the character from the front, behind him is a crowd of men and beasts. He puts both hands on the chainsaw. A subtle movement. The weapon transforms, a telescopic pole extending the reach of the weapon. He turns to the crowd and begin his assault.

Cut to title.

Spaceborne.

Lights come on.

Miyazaki on stage.

He says a bunch of words in Japanese.

The translator, caught aback says "Did he really say that."

Miyazaki looks at the translator expectantly.

Translator clears throat.

"er... He... He said... "

"He said "Fuck The Surge." "

At least he didn't say hail Hydra

I, for one, am excited about the prospect of a PSP3.

I don't quite agree with posters saying Sony should give up the handheld gaming space. PSP was very successful. Should Nintendo have given up on console gaming after GameCube or Wii U? I'm glad they did not. Why products failed have always been good case studies for the next iteration.

Moreover, having more than one party in a particular space is always good, in my opinion. Competition drives innovation, and gives companies more reasons to provide greater value in terms of their products and services.

While it is true having another platform to support means 1st party studios having to diverge their efforts. But I see that as a potential benefit if you are to own both systems, as there will also be 3rd parties designing specific games for each platform (= more games overall). While I generally prefer to play games on a big screen, some games are really well-suited for gaming-on-the-go.

Current owner of a PSV and 3DS, I am ready to move on. I am interested in a potential PSP3 or Switch, or both, to fulfill my portable gaming needs. I do dig the Switch's hybrid nature.

How a prospective PSP3 can interest me:
- Ability to play PS4 games (downscaled, but I still see this as unlikely)
- Ability to play PSV, PSP, PS1 and PS2 games
- Shared digital library across platforms
- Good battery life
- Attractive screen (720p)
- Good form factor with L2, R2, L3 and R3 buttons
- Internet browser and other useful applications (Netflix)
- Benefits of PS Plus (and other services) extended to the system
- Appealing handheld titles made for the system
- PS4 to add in the ability to play PSP3 titles
It is extremely unlikely for many of those to happen though, and the handheld may be priced too high for me to consider.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I see on my booth list that Sony has booked more floor/meeting space.

Booth COF13 (1 x 2293)

Booth COF14 (1 x 2384)

Booth COF15 (1 x 3936)

The dimensions are likely preliminary/placeholder. I do not know where these booths are located, I don't see them on the floorplans. COF could stand for Concourse Floor or Coliseum Floor perhaps?

Apart from the above, Sony has these booths and meeting rooms:

Booth MR 504
Booth MR 506
Booth MR 507
Booth MR 511C
Booth MR 515A

Booth 4244
Booth 4322
Booth 4122
Booth 4556

Asd202

Rösti;237559083 said:

Booth COF13 (1 x 2293)

Booth COF14 (1 x 2384)

Booth COF15 (1 x 3936)

The dimensions are likely preliminary/placeholder. I do not know where these booths are located, I don't see them on the floorplans. COF could stand for Concourse Floor or Coliseum Floor perhaps?

Above from the above, Sony has these booths and meeting rooms:

Booth MR 504
Booth MR 506
Booth MR 507
Booth MR 511C
Booth MR 515A

Booth 4244
Booth 4322
Booth 4122
Booth 4556

Should be big E3 for Sony.

This and my post on the subject after thread got closed.

On a PSP3

I mean obviously Sony knows better about their business vision then I do. But let's say there is a PSP3.

Why?

Seriously is there something mentally wrong with just focusing on bettering PS4's lifespan and what comes after it?

Like goddamn get over it already. Nobody has be a fortuneteller to know how this will play out if true. IOS, Android and Nintendo got handheld gaming on lock.

Idk man. This is just something that always frustrates me about Sony. They get so giddy about launching new stuff, yet they're so wrapped up with how cool it is they forget quickly that the name PlayStation doesn't equal a guaranteed success. How many times do people have to say that what you been cooking is only half done.

PlayStation Vita, PSTV (both products) and PSVR seem to be something they talk up, launch then do nothing of note with after some time.

I loved last year's orchestra.

I think it could only be matched or topped by bringing in Queen to compose and perform a soundtrack to this year's conference.

If it's much too late for this year, hook it up for PSX or next year's show.

Imagine Queen pulling a Highlander or Flash Gordon over new game footage, with guest singers or a choir. Whew...

To gain true conference of dreams final form status for me, add in a remaster / remix of Demon's Souls (and MGS4, Warhawk, MotorStorm, Dark Souls... )

I'd love to see these gems slide onto the PS4, updated and looking sweet, so I can finally retire my PS3.

I'm already expecting plenty of new IP's and sequels to old favorites, maybe even with a new take a la God of War.

The God

Sam Witwer said on a twitch stream Days Gone would be at E3 "in a big way" this year (water is wet etc)

I'm probably reading too much into it but what if they have it playable on the floor? I think that would go a long way to ease skepticism

Rösti;237559083 said:

Booth COF13 (1 x 2293)

Booth COF14 (1 x 2384)

Booth COF15 (1 x 3936)

Above from the above, Sony has these booths and meeting rooms:

Booth MR 504
Booth MR 506
Booth MR 507
Booth MR 511C
Booth MR 515A

Booth 4244
Booth 4322
Booth 4122
Booth 4556
PSP3 is going to need a lot of room.

But nah, good to see them expanding. Can only be a good thing.

Sam Witwer said on a twitch stream Days Gone would be at E3 "in a big way" this year (water is wet etc)

I'm probably reading too much into it but what if they have it playable on the floor? I think that would go a long way to ease skepticism
Possibly. If we do get a playable demo, I think it is closer to release than some might think.

I'm just looking forward to an extensive showing on stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom