• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony E3 press conference; June 10th 6PM PT/9PM ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
On the topic of cross gen stuff, I do think that Beyond will hit PS4 since Cage kind of hinted at it a couple tomes and they've all but announced a PS4 version of GT6. After reading Konami's opinions on cross gens stuff my hype for a next gen MGSV has died :(

Ashes

Banned
v1rVs.gif

They need to go back to old dante. New coke formula sucks.

That had nothing to do with the PS3's missteps and more to do with developers struggling with the system hardware itself.

Yeah I am sure it made sense back then. The gap between ps2-3 was huge, the ps3 early SDK was some Word.docs, a box of crayons and a picture of Ken Kutaragi laughing etc, So up ports didnt make sense.

Still GT6 releasing the same season as the ps4 with no ps4 version is DUMB!

Its like MS launching Halo 5 on 360 a month before the Xbox One launchs or Blizzard launching a new WoW expansion before the new MMO launches. Its PlayStations biggest bullet and its in the wrong gun!

PS2 in 2006 was pretty amazing.

This! It was ridiculous, I got a PS3 and Motorstorm and F1 but ended up playing Okami and FFXII more on my PS2 lol.

Okami was and is a godlike game. I already would like to play the HD remake that's waiting on my PS3 hdd and I already know that I would cry like a baby the day a HD remake for FFXII Zodiac edition get's announced. To make that happen I should really subsidize Square and buy FFX for Vita AND PS3...

If Sony was really ready for war as famousmortimer says they are then they wouldn't put out so many PS3 games in its 7th year.

There are more fronts to the war than Next Gen.

There will be price drops on the current consoles. You need to battle the 360 for those that still want a current console. Add in the WiiU, and you need to show that your console is still a viable purchase at its reduced price.

The Next Gen war has begun and the 1st parties will show that they are going to bring the best out of the PS4. Going forward, smaller devs will be given the task of making PS3 games.

Kyoufu

So many= three major ones? With one already confirmed to have a PS4 version in dev (GT6)?

I think it would have been better if they were native PS4 games. Imagine PS4's first year with first party games like Beyond, TLoU, TLG (assuming it's not on PS4), GT6 (built from the ground up on PS4).

It'd be mindblowing for their first year.

what did he say exactly

Sony employees' bodies are ready for the console war etc.

:lol
Chill out, seriously. Others have said they'd be surprised if Sony spends much time on anything but PS4 at their stage.

I hope so, but considering the PS3 lineup, that will be hard.

PS2 in 2006 was pretty amazing.

Amazing, yes, but let´s take a look at the PS3 in 2013:

GT6
Last of US
Beyond
Pupeteer (sp?)
Last Guardian
Some Final Fantasy
God Of War
Little Big Planet 3

And that´s just first party! (i probably forgot some)

Then you have

MGS 5
Persona
GTA 5
and just about every yearly sequel out there (sports, BF, COD, ass creed, NFS)

I´m not saying ditch the 80 million userbase and go all PS4, but they don´t need THAT many titles on PS3. It´s overkill, considering 2012 was weak. Some of those games should have been last year.

iirc, PS1 in 2000 was pretty solid too. Final Fantasy IX, Vagrant Story, Spyro Year of the Dragon (from Sony no less), Legend of Dragoon (again, Sony), Valkyrie Profile, Wild Arms 2 (Sony).

But it doesn´t compare to the avalanche the PS3 is getting it. It´s the strongest year the system has had so far, and it sucks because i mentally checked out of this current gen and will only care about the super duper titles.

It´s a shame because some of these games will be sent to die in the holidays with new consoles. There´s not enough people to buy all these games AND the new systems with new games.

Am I the only one who doesn't get consoles at launch? I'm happy there will be some PS3 games to keep me occupied until I get around to picking up a new console.

I'd be more pissed if Sony just completely stopped supporting the PS3 (especially with the PS4 not even being released yet).
Yep I for one was left high and dry with an OG Xbox and it soured me towards the 360.

In the mean time I just kept on trucking with my PS2.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
holy jesus if people are actually complaining about TLG maybe being on PS3. You should thank the gods it was never cancelled and is actually coming out o_O

Pretty much, Team ICO could release TLG on the PocketStation and I'd still find a way to play it.

I think it would have been better if they were native PS4 games. Imagine PS4's first year with first party games like Beyond, TLoU, TLG (assuming it's not on PS4), GT6 (built from the ground up on PS4).

Sony employees' bodies are ready for the console war etc.

hmm interesting

fiyah

This only helps prove my point :/

Well I'm sure that there are some major PS4 titles to be announced still. But at the moment if I had to choose between owning a PS3 or owning a PS4 in winter 2013 I would definitely choose PS3.

I don't think it will have a drastic effect on the life sales of PS4, just has a chance of tempering the launch sales.

I don't think you are Sony's target at launch if you still haven't bought a PS3

StuBurns

Banned
I hope so, but considering the PS3 lineup, that will be hard.

GT6
Last of US
Beyond
Pupeteer (sp?)
Last Guardian
Some Final Fantasy
God Of War
Little Big Planet 3

Then you have

MGS 5
Persona
GTA 5
Well, that list is a lot less impressive if you don't add unannounced/unconfirmed games.

It would be, but I think the very reason we're seeing some of these games is because the generation has been so long. Some devs were getting more willing to do unique things given waning sales (at least the ones who had some first party financial backing behind them).

I think it would be great to see these games as cross gen even if they don't take full advantage of the new hardware, because one way or the other, you'll end up with people missing out. For me in particular, my PS3 died, and I'm certainly not going to drop money on a new one at this point in the gen. The only way I'll get to play these games is if they end up on a next gen console.

GT6
Last of US
Beyond
Pupeteer (sp?)
Last Guardian
Some Final Fantasy

God Of War
Little Big Planet 3

Then you have

MGS 5
Persona
GTA 5

*All unconfirmed titles...

i-Lo

What else does GAF Gold give me? I might upgrade.

I don't think you can sign up any more. I joined back in 2008 and the registration for gold ran till March 31st 2010 (iirc).

I don't know if it can reopened just for one member. Perhaps if you're willing to pay a shit ton of money.

What it gives is access to other ancillary sites that are owned and operated as partial GAF subsidies. However, given certain restrictions, the members can't speak about it here with non-gold members.

EDIT: Basically we're share holders of that portfolio of companies.

LoL!

androvsky

But it doesn´t compare to the avalanche the PS3 is getting it. It´s the strongest year the system has had so far, and it sucks because i mentally checked out of this current gen and will only care about the super duper titles.
I didn't list everything big that came out in 2000 for the PS1, since it's a bit hard to find PS1 games by date (Wikipedia is missing dates for a lot of games). I left off Ace Combat 3 since it was early 2000 for example, and I didn't bother with anything that came out after 2000 on the PS1 like the Final Fantasy collections. And you listed some rumored / unannounced titles too.
It´s a shame because some of these games will be sent to die in the holidays with new consoles. There´s not enough people to buy all these games AND the new systems with new games.
I'd argue there are enough people. As you said, there's nearly 80 million PS3s out there, and not every owner is going to buy a PS4 at launch. And at least some of those games will be playable by the PS4 owners on the PS4... so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Kyoufu

I guess the strong PS3 lineup this year means non-PS3 owners who buy a PS4 have an excuse to spend money on Gaikai backwards compatibility.

Did I mention how awesome Gaikai can be if they put a lot of games on the service?

Wouldn't it be cool if say, they made The Last Guardian for all PS systems just to see how it looks, feels, and runs on different "power levels." They should try as much as they can to try and replicate the scale on the PS1 even if it means toning the graphics down to turd mode spreaded over with vaseline.

edit: including handhleds btw

Rumba

Banned
And look how well that turned out for the ps3......

I just hope TLG is cross gen. GT6 being ps3 only is already incredibly stupid put Polyphony does what Polyphony does.

You must be kidding me. If you look at the numbered GTs, every game sold 10 million units.

Add the fact that it's one of those games (like Mario) which transcend regions and culture. If a numbered GT can sell that much, how many do you think will it sell during launch?

Sony will never launch a console with a GT game. The amount of demand for a GT game will put pressure on Sony and its hardware manufacturing. It's not far-fetched to see a GT game selling 5 million units within the first few months, and it's so spread out, that Sony will have trouble keeping up with the demand of the hardware across the globe.

Not only that, but we're not even considering the people who would buy a PS4 but will buy it for other games.

Plus, GT6 can totally cannibalize the sales of the other games. It's so powerful a brand that a person who might be thinking of buying a Killzone will opt out to buy GT6.

Also, Sony (and MS, Ninty) sell consoles at a loss during launch. They would never want 10 million PS4s sold at a loss. That's why you'll see GT7 on the 2nd or 3rd year of the system, where they can make a profit. GT moves systems anyway.

So to say "GT6 is so stupid on PS3 blah blah blah" and wonder why Pachter thinks GAF is utterly clueless of the industry....

No, it's not. Being cross-gen would be stupid because it would utterly destroy DriveClub, and they can just port GT6 six months after launch, not lose a single sale.

It´s the old argument we had a few weeks ago: if GT6 can be PS4, and if you don´t want to hurt Driveclub, then why the hell isn´t Driveclub taking a backseat and releasing it in 2015?

Do you really think GT6 isn't on PS4 because they're trying to give Drive Club a better shot at succeeding? Why would Sony do that? If GT is the golden goose, wouldn't they want it on as many of their platforms as possible? I'm certainly of the opinion that it's Polyphony's slow pace that is keeping them out of the PS4 launch.

Maybe, it´s really something that doesn´t make sense but i´m sure it makes inside of Sony´s offices. They are better than just milking GT on PS3 without thinking long term, so i´m sure there are other reasons that we just don´t know.

Rumour

*All unconfirmed titles...

I´ll give you that, but still, you have GT, MGS, GTA and a shocking new IP from your best in house studio all coming two months before (at best) your new console (minus Last of Us which is this week). We´ve never had a situation like this before. Yes, God of War II slipped to 2007, yes FF12 was in 2006, but it´s not the same scope of having all these AAA franchises having proper sequels in the same trimester you are trying to launch a new console.

A lot of this will be answered at E3, if indee MGS and GT are cross gen games, but as of right now, it´s just bad timing, because some of these games would be more than welcomed six, twelve or eighteen months ago.

StuBurns

Banned
It´s the old argument we had a few weeks ago: if GT6 can be PS4, and if you don´t want to hurt Driveclub, then why the hell isn´t Driveclub taking a backseat and releasing it in 2015?
Because the start of a generation is when it's best to launch new IP, and the game is basically finished?

repost for people who missed it:

6 Days to go. Thought I'd come up with a list of 10 topics (one per day) we can all post about until E3 gets here.

#10 is here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=60329837&postcount=6982
#9 is here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=60528001&postcount=7732
#8 is here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=60694437&postcount=8465
#7 is here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=60887865&postcount=9407

=========================================================================== ========
j0ONgoo.png

=========================================================================== ========

Which Playstation game has the best music/soundtrack?

Pick only 1 game.

btkadams

6 Days to go. Thought I'd come up with a list of 10 topics (one per day) we can all post about until E3 gets here.

j0ONgoo.png

Pick only 1 game.
of the ps3 gen, i would say infamous 2. uncharted is the most immediately recognizable though.

j0ONgoo.png

Pick only 1 game.

Locoroco. Best and most charming soundtrack!

I didn't list everything big that came out in 2000 for the PS1, since it's a bit hard to find PS1 games by date (Wikipedia is missing dates for a lot of games). I left off Ace Combat 3 since it was early 2000 for example, and I didn't bother with anything that came out after 2000 on the PS1 like the Final Fantasy collections. And you listed some rumored / unannounced titles too.

I remember the PS1 days very well, it took me a while to move on to the PS2 because at the time i was just getting into college and i was broke.

There are two major differences: shorter dev cycles back then and BC on the PS2. Those two things are huge. PD for instance, managed to put out GT2 in late 1999, but they released GT3 in 2001.

They can´t do that now. If they don´t port GT6 to PS4, we will only be seeing a GT game on next gen by 2016-2017. And even if they do, it´s just a port, not a true next gen outing.

Sony will never launch a console with a GT game. The amount of demand for a GT game will put pressure on Sony and its hardware manufacturing. It's not far-fetched to see a GT game selling 5 million units within the first few months, and it's so spread out, that Sony will have trouble keeping up with the demand of the hardware across the globe.

Also, Sony (and MS, Ninty) sell consoles at a loss during launch. They would never want 10 million PS4s sold at a loss. That's why you'll see GT7 on the 2nd or 3rd year of the system, where they can make a profit. GT moves systems anyway.

So to say "GT6 is so stupid on PS3 blah blah blah" and wonder why Pachter thinks GAF is utterly clueless of the industry....

Oh, so you think Sony hated having GT3 so early for PS2? So the fact that they rushed PD to get the game out early was just a silly mistake?

You are also saying that Sony would be in bad shape for quickly building up a huge install base? They don´t want to sell consoles early on due to the losses?

Really?

That´s why Pachter thinks we´re lunatics, not the other way around.

Because the start of a generation is when it's best to launch new IP, and the game is basically finished?

It´s not a safe logic because it works both ways. If it´s true, and it´s what the execs at SCWWS are thinking, then why not The last of Us on PS4? Very smiliar situation.

Maybe i´m going too much on this rant about too many PS3 titles, but it´s because i want the PS4 to be a runaway success from the start, and the amount of titles (and quality) on PS3 might make some people postpone their PS4 purchases.

j0ONgoo.png

Pick only 1 game.

I first thought FFVIII, then I thought Ys7, but the answer is Okami:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yKG-Qu4WvM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom